Against the Cult: Party at the Mill (1.1)

load previous
Dec 2, 2015 9:03 pm
Thacogygax heads out onto the dock to see what there is to see out there.

Rolls

perception - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Dec 2, 2015 9:16 pm
Sara and Quest manage to navigate Shalla down the ladder (in the end I decided against any kind of check for this - Sara has had enough slapstick for one encounter. Just assume that it's an awkward challenge and leave it at that), and the mystic leads her past the surrendered thug to the bedroom. Shalla gives a little gasp at the sight of the thug, but the presence of her rescuers turns her fear into anger and she snarls at him. He retreats into the room where Xana is still organizing the dead bodies and their belongings. Sara finds a ewer of water and cup on one of the bedside tables and pours some for the woman, who accepts it gratefully.

Xana peers suspiciously at the man, and something about her gives him the willies, and he makes his way meekly down the stairs in front of her. Downstairs, he joins the group of men on the stairs under the watchful eye of Klak; they barely dare to breathe, so stern is the dwarf's countenance.

The warlock gnome deposits the last of the weapons she brought down from upstairs into a pile: six cudgels, two knives, four daggers, four shortbows (there were six, but two were destroyed in the fighting), and 22 usable arrows.
spaceseeker19 sent a note to Moofsalot
Dec 2, 2015 11:13 pm
Aanbo ensures that the stairs to the second floor are clear of traffic before guiding Keb up.
Dec 2, 2015 11:44 pm
I make like I'm smoothing out my clothes and pocket the coin for later. Then I point at the weapons. "Take your pick, if these are to your liking. I figure whatever we don't use, we can sell."
Last edited December 2, 2015 11:46 pm

Rolls

Sleight of Hand - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Dec 3, 2015 1:23 am
Klak's eyes quickly, professionally, and judgmentally pass over the pile of weapons. "No thank you."
Dec 3, 2015 4:05 am
Durren hears Xana's offer and pokes his head through the door. He has been in need of a good dagger for some time now, so he walks over to inspect them.

OOC: Will you give me the options, GM?
Last edited December 3, 2015 4:05 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Dec 3, 2015 4:22 am
The mob of grim-faced villagers, the innkeeper Devane among them, pulls up short at Durren's pleasant greeting. "What'd he say?" someone says, and, from the back, "What's going on? Did we get them yet?" They mutter, some angry, some confused, and then someone says "There's one o' them, on th' ground!" A grizzled older man with several scars on his face and muscular arms steps forward just as Durren turns to go back inside and browse the weapons. The veteran warrior kneels at the crushed and broken body outside the door. He stands up and says "Looks like maybe we weren't needed." He turns back to the group and calls out. "This one's not going to trouble anyone any more. It may be that the trouble's over, and the mill's safe. You three brothers," he says, indicating some robed monks, "...go inside and check it out!" He turns back to Durren as the three monks move swiftly and silently into the mill, one to each doorway.

Inside, Durren sifts through the pile of weapons that Xana is building. There are a number of good shortbows usable from horseback or on foot, a quantity of arrows, a few small knives, and a few longer daggers. Too long to throw well, but good for close-in fighting. There's also an assortment of cudgels or clubs - basically fire-hardened rods of wood about the length of a grown human forearm: good for bashing and smashing drunks in a bar fight, but not so effective as a good blade.
Dec 3, 2015 4:34 am
Durren has little experience with throwing a blade, but he grabs a stout, sharp looking dagger and one if the smaller knives. Hearing the villager's approach, he steps back outside."Greetings, friend!" he says amiably, "your brothers need not inspect the area - a group of adventurers and myself have succeeded in subduing the threat. Though your men are free to search if they wish; we have nothing to hide. You will also find the miller, Keb, inside."
Last edited December 3, 2015 4:56 am
Dec 3, 2015 4:35 am
Aanbo leads Keb up the stairs and he and Shalla both give a cry of gladness as they lock eyes and then arms in a fierce embrace. The monk, Sara, and Quest stand there, embarrassed...particularly the Mystic, who finds it difficult to suppress the huge silly grin from his face as emotional waves of delight and relief radiating from the couple keep washing over him.
Dec 3, 2015 8:06 am
I smile to myself, "I'll be downstairs then." Upon arriving in the main room I continue into the basement to join Thacogygax in his exploration of the basement.
Dec 3, 2015 2:33 pm
Seeing the husband and wife reunited does please Quest, but there is more work to be done.

"Keb, we will tell what we saw here. I'm inclined to believe your story that you were forced to attack Hale in order to protect your wife. The men we captured may corroborate your story as well, but you still must face the magistrate. Hopefully Hale isn't to angry with you when he wakes up."

Quest then goes to see the men who surrendered. "Who wants to earn a bit of favor for themselves and tell me what was going on here? Who did you work for and what was their plan for the mill?" He crosses his arm over his chest and affects the best stern expression he can muster. These men are all murderers, or complicit in a plan to commit murder, a firm hand will be needed.

Rolls

Intimidation (if applicable) - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Dec 3, 2015 2:45 pm
"The more you say now, the easier it will be for you...names, details, that sort of thing..." I casually lean against the wall and watch them with interest. Who are these people, really?

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Insight - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Dec 3, 2015 3:29 pm
(Directed at Ogbar:) "It looks like all you be needin' is a good rest, with a tough body like yours. Divine energy is not mine to give freely to any fool who asks!"

Morgran curses under his breath at his own inconsistency, and takes a sit on the nearest stair, facing away from the others. (CHA score: 7, haha)
Last edited December 3, 2015 3:31 pm
Dec 4, 2015 2:11 am
Aanbo looks around to see where he might be needed. He leaves Keb and Shalla and returns to the first floor, and notices the new arrivals. Recognizing the cut of their robes, Aanbo addresses the first monk he sees with a gesture of folded hands, held in front. "Greetings, brother," he says, interested in their reaction. His curiosity is indeed piqued at the thought of another monastery nearby.
Dec 4, 2015 4:52 pm
Sara joins Thacogygax downstairs, at the Realstream's edge. This dock must be used for grain shipments to be dropped off, and flour to be shipped out. The gurgling of the water is a refreshing sound that partially drowns out the muttering and giggling of the broken man inside. But Thacogygax still hears new voices upstairs as the villagers arrive.

Ogbar and Aanbo are joined by a monk, who look them up and down, as another monk begins to efficiently pick up the bodies and carry them outside. Morgran sits on the stairs up to the second floor, and Quest steps around him to join Klak by the captives on the stairs. They are joined by another monk, entering from the office room, as Xana pauses in her searching of bodies to observe the conversation between the mystic and the thugs.

One of the thugs, a man called Stu, speaks up. You can't tell if he's terrified, or just has a stutter: "B-Black told us the m-mill would b-be a good b-base for us, and it was easy m-money, too. The w-w-w-w-river does all the work." He looks imploringly at them, cowed by the implacable expression on Klak's face. "We're b-boatmen! ...Originally... We just w-want honest work, b-but times are hard, and B-black told us that the m-mill would b-be b-better than m-more b-banditry..."
Dec 4, 2015 5:02 pm
The monk who has stopped by Ogbar and Aanbo is an older man, who yet moves with the fluidity of the Monkey school. He nods at Aanbo's greeting, looks at Ogbar's seeping wounds, and frowns sympathetically. "That looks painful. If no one can heal you, I can offer some assistance." He pulls out a linen-wrapped package and begins to craft and apply a poultice to Ogbar's wounds (an application of a healer's kit). "You will want to visit Diana if you return to Hochoch."

(Now that a healer's kit has been applied, Ogbar can rest and use a hit die to recover HP. The monk, Tuan Vo, can apply his healer's kit to anyone else that wants to rest and heal as well.)
Dec 4, 2015 5:08 pm
"Hey there, I've got this scratch that I'm thinking you could take a look at..." The blood has started to cake around my wounds. They don't look pretty and I'm actually a good deal paler than I should be.
Dec 4, 2015 5:10 pm
Ogbar grunts as the poultice is applied, the only sign that the wound might be causing pain, and nods his thanks to the monk. Still in a poor mood, Ogbar approaches Stu, grabs the front of his shirt and lifts him off of his feet, he growls and speaks to the man, holding him easily off the ground, "Who's Black? Speak quickly or you're going in the river."

I can roll a strength check if you'd like, but I don't figure lifting a normal man would be really difficult for a 6.5 foot tall angry Barbarian

Rolls

Recover Hit Dice - (1d12+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Dec 4, 2015 5:12 pm
Durren has claimed a knife (good at meals) and a dagger and is outside with the older warrior.

"I'm glad you took care of it. Our thanks. We came as soon as we heard, but most of these villagers are children of warriors, rather than fighters themselves. Your combat training probably saved a lot of them from getting hurt." He looks at Durren appraisingly. "My name's Cormac. I run a school for fighting back in Hochoch. If you ever want to practice, or maybe to learn a thing or two, just ask for Cormac's."
Dec 4, 2015 5:24 pm
Aanbo bows to Tuan Vo, and thanks him on Ogbar's behalf. He then assists anyone that needs medical attention, such as Xana, before he settles himself to the side so that he may also recover from his own wounds.

Rolls

Medicine - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Recover Hit Die - (1d8+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.