0.1 | Riverthanks in Heirwater

Oct 22, 2015 8:04 pm
https://aahabershaw.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/403752_1282472189_large.jpg

Festival colors. Shimmering heat. The noise of a joyful crowd echoing off stonework baking in the noon sun. The scent of flower garlands and spiced drinks mixing in the bright air... all of these are an intoxicating combination, and the city of Heirwater is happily drunk on summer and celebration and--well, sure, okay, drunk on wine, too.

"Names and purpose! NAAAAAMES and puuuuur-POSE!" shouts a red-helmed guard from the shade of the drawbridge gatehouse just ahead.

You're standing on the broad stone surface of one of the two great bridges that lead from the Market Square to the edge of the Hill. Far below, the River Heirwater courses along its banks, filled with boats of every size, sporting sails, pennants, and banners of every color. Today, on the great festival day of Riverthanks, the Hill is open to the public. Normally, walking through the gatehouse doors would require a thorough cross-examination, or papers identifying your business in the Fortress or Academy of the Heir. But today, all the guards want are--

"NAAAAAMES!!" bellows the guard. "State your NAMES and your PURPOSE! If you're here to view the grounds, SAY so and be QUICK, there's plenty of folks before AN' behind you!"

He's not wrong. It's taken the better part of an hour to get to this gatehouse, filing up the drawbridge in an ever-narrowing line. What had begun as a milling throng has become a series of ragged bunches of friends or strangers, linked together like sausages roasting in the summer sun. These groups shuffle forward together as those ahead are let through the gatehouse doors by threes and fives. Your group is a strange one, and you have attracted some odd looks from those around you. A guard in green Fortesqueue armor, a woman alone, an unassuming merchant... these three might have passed without much comment. The scholarly half-elf might have been of some interest to those waiting in line... if he had not been overshadowed by the enormous form of a bull-headed minotaur, breathing heavily in the baking sun.

You're starting to wonder whether it was really worth it to leave the cool breezes and amusements of the Market Square behind. Of course, you want to gain access to the Hill, but maybe noon was the wrong time to do it. Of course, it's not like you can really turn back now. Behind you stretches a long line of peasantry and merchants, filling every inch of the drawbridge, all the way back down to the packed square. You see the grand facades of the Six Shops, bedecked for the day in flowers and ribbons, and beyond them, the wide bowl of the city rising up the sides of the great valley through which the Heirwater runs.

"YOU LOT!! NaaaAMES and purpose!" The group of robed figures ahead of you steps forward and mutter to the Montulet guard at the gate, casting squinted glances back at the minotaur and the Fortesqueue in your midst. After a moment, the guard lets them through. They move quickly, whispering rapidly as they disappear into the shadow beyond the gate.

"NAAAAMES and puuuuur-POSE!" shouts the guard at you.

Finally.

OOC: Roll initiative, then step forward and state your name and purpose to the guard!
Oct 22, 2015 8:15 pm
A well dressed man of medium height begins to step forward confidently. His face bears the easy falsely earnest smile of travelling salesman. His clothing is well cut, but not ostentatious. Stylish, but not flashy. His face bears a think pink scar running from his right temple down across his cheek.
Last edited October 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 22, 2015 8:20 pm
Tosher snorts loudly as he awaits his turn. It would be a mercy to crush in this guards chest cavity. Though it would bring me no true honor to defeat such a whelp, he thinks to himself.

His hoof scratches the ground idly. He is a little out of his element. This is the most civilization he has been around in over a decade.
Last edited October 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20-2)

(17) - 2 = 15

Oct 22, 2015 8:41 pm
Eldrick steps forward and looks the guard in the eye, "Just here to look around and see what all the fuss is about," he says to him, cursing inwardly. He wouldn't even be here right now if Lily had not insisted that he get out and experience some culture and interact with someone besides her.

He smiles fondly then, thinking of his new bride, beautiful Lilliana. It had taken some 'convincing' to get him to agree to come out here - she was to meet him a bit later on. It takes the ladies longer to get ready, after all - but he wasn't going to complain about the form that the 'convincing' took.

Eldrick is fairly young for his position as an officer in the Fortesqueue garrison. He is handsome, slightly taller than average with light brown hair and blue eyes. His skin is tanned from his time outside on guard duty and on the training ground. He has a longsword strapped to his waist and is holding his glaive in one hand, using it as a walking stick.
Last edited October 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Oct 22, 2015 10:29 pm
Charles is looking around at the assortment of people around him, not paying attention to where he is going when the guard draws his attention forward. The Minotaur in particular had been of interest to him. Being a Half-Elf of slight form, he had always been interested by creatures larger than himself. He had a particular interest in the larger races of the world and had spent some of his free time studying Giants. His mind slips away again.

Hearing the guard again try to get his attention, he regains he focus, steps forward and says "Sir, I am Charles Mithalvarin. I am here to see Amphilochus Boarhill, Lord Scholar of Perceptional Magics, at The Royal Academy of the Heir of Marka at Heirwater. I have an appointment," in a voice that he believes to sound confident.
Last edited October 23, 2015 3:07 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Oct 23, 2015 2:36 am
My long, dark hair falls around my face, obscuring it slightly as I step timidly forward. "Lara. Lara Stormwind, here to see the sights for the festival, sir! May I enter, please?" My clothes are nondescript as ever, and my voice filled with the appropriate level of enthusiasm for a newcomer to the festival. For good measure, I eye everyone around me with wide-eyed wonder and smile and nod at any who happen to catch my eye. They won't remember me later. I might as well enjoy myself.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Oct 23, 2015 3:55 am
As Xulara and Eldrick are introducing themselves Tosher pushes past both of them. "I am Tosher of the Mascun Clan! My purpose is to gain honor and glory for my once powerful tribe. The Mascun will live on through the glory and bloodshed I earn in battle. There is a statue here I must touch to help me in my quest. Step aside whelp", he announces in a heavy booming tone. His dark brown fur bristles as he never once breaks eye contact with the guard.

He snorts out heavily one more time and attempts to push his way past the guard, whether consent to enter is given or not. His battered shield sits slung across his back and his warhammer has not left his hand since arrival.
Oct 23, 2015 9:18 am
Tosher, roll a quick intimidation check?
Oct 23, 2015 11:48 am
Intimidation.

Lackluster intimidation attempt.
Last edited October 23, 2015 11:49 am

Rolls

Intimidation Check - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Oct 23, 2015 12:11 pm
Even a half-hearted attempt at intimidation by the minotaur is enough to make the guard cringe. "Hey, look, I'm just a recruit--you can go in, the Hill is open today." He steps back, allowing Tosher and the others to pass. Trying to reclaim a little of his dignity, he sneers at Eldrick's green uniform.

"Try and keep that beast from killing anyone up there, Fortesqueue. It'd be a shame for that to happen on your watch. NAAAAAMES!!"

You all filter into the relative darkness of the gate. It's an enormous stone pylon 2/3rds of the way along the drawbridge, practically a fortress in itself, filled with the heavy machinery required to raise the drawbridge in case the Hill were to ever be attacked... although, of course, that's unthinkable. What army would be crazy enough to mount an assault on Heirwater?

http://smrvl.com/gp/thehill_bridge.jpg

Your vision goes green from the sharp contrast as you step out of the sunlight, and as a group you practically barge into the robed figures who had walked the bridge in front of you.

"Watch yourself!" one of them hisses, whirling to bare his stained yellow teeth. The three are dressed alike, in black cloaks held across their tunics by a red cord with a single knot in the center, strung horizontally across the neck--almost like a wound.
Oct 23, 2015 12:21 pm
Tosher, without breaking his gaze at the looming city ahead shoves the robes figure who had hissed at him to one side and continues walking without saying a thing.

Tosher's horns grant advantage on all checks to shove a creature.

Rolls

Shove (Strength) (Advantage) - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Shove (Strength) (Advantage) (2) - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Oct 23, 2015 12:46 pm
Eldrick watches the robed figures warily, grip tightening on his glaive. He gets a weird feeling from these people.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Insight - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Oct 23, 2015 1:30 pm
Dex saving throw

Rolls

Dexterity saving throw against being shoved - (1d20+0)

(7) = 7

Oct 23, 2015 1:49 pm
Jean (for short) continues walking forward, his head swiveling around as if taking in the sights. In truth, he is watching these interesting characters around him and paying close attention to the crowd. He is also warily watching the reaction of the robed figures.

OOC: Let me know if I should roll a perception check.
Oct 23, 2015 2:04 pm
The man with the yellow teeth reels backwards, knocking into the stone wall. His two companions hang back with him, allowing the group to pass. Around the party, the mood of the crowd shifts from good-natured impatience to wariness... although fights are inevitable on Riverthanks--with that much wine flowing, things always get looser towards sundown--most fights don't involve a minotaur. Those ahead of the group hurry ahead, and those behind hang back, leaving a little empty air around them as the party passes over the end of bridge and onto the cool grass of the open courtyard of the Hill.

smrvl sent a note to Naatkinson,Naatkinson
http://orig10.deviantart.net/4ae4/f/2010/257/4/b/courtyard_by_marcobucci-d2yr7tn.jpg

You step back into the brilliant summer sunlight—much more pleasant here in the green quiet of the courtyard. It's filled with festival-goers milling around, gazing up in wonder at the stately buildings. Some of them have been here before, on previous Riverthanks visits, but for many, it's their first time glimpsing the soaring walls and flying buttresses of the Fortress of the Heir, and the two Colleges of the Heir's Academy to the left and right. Guards are positioned throughout the crowd and at every door, to prevent access to the interiors of the buildings, but small paths wander through groves of finely-cultivated trees and under shady archways.

smrvl sent a note to Hobs
smrvl sent a note to Naatkinson,Naatkinson
It's a beautiful place, and it echoes with sounds of wonder and the sound of falling water at the central fountain. The crowd around you is eager to disperse, to see the sights and--to be fair--to get away from the party, who receive more than a few wary looks.

smrvl sent a note to Moofsalot
smrvl sent a note to PhantomNimbus
smrvl sent a note to Friar_Tuk
Oct 23, 2015 2:14 pm
I walk towards the fountain, waving my hand over it and feeling the cool water splashing across my palm. I take a moment, then casually break towards the right, listening in on any interesting conversations as I pass.
Last edited October 23, 2015 2:15 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Oct 23, 2015 2:20 pm
Unintentionally, Tosher has walked along with Xulara towards the fountain. "You there, girl. Is this the object I must touch for luck?", he asks before she walks off.
Oct 23, 2015 2:20 pm
Jean was headed in the direction of the College of Magic, but now he slows his pace to keep an eye on the situation with the Minotaur and the black robed figures. If nothing comes of that confrontation, Jean keeps a close eye on which direction the black robes are headed, without seeming like he is doing so.

OOC: Ugh, the dice are against me so far this game!
Last edited October 23, 2015 2:20 pm

Rolls

Perception (if needed to spot robed figures destination) - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Stealth (if needed to remain inconspicuous) - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 23, 2015 2:21 pm
OOC: It's common knowledge--although Tosher seems to have gotten some misinformation--that if you touch the central wide, flat paving stone in the middle of the Market Square at midnight on Riverthanks, you'll have incredible luck the coming year. Well, that's what the legend says, anyway. It may be frustrating for Tosher to learn that the Market Square is where he just came from, an hour ago, across the drawbridge.
Oct 23, 2015 2:23 pm
Eldrick walks along with the others, taking in the sights and sounds. He knows he has a while before his wife is to meet him, so he takes his time

Naatkinson sent a note to smrvl

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.