0.1 | Riverthanks in Heirwater

load previous
Oct 26, 2015 4:10 pm
Just some context. More story coming soon!

Here's a rough map of the courtyard garden. Those X's are guards. There are two drawbridges to the north, one letting people onto the Hill, the other for them to leave by. The first drawbridge is much more crowded, but there's some traffic on the second.

http://smrvl.com/gp/hill-garden.jpg

Xulara, admiring the buildings, sees that the colleges appear to have been built around the same time with soaring white stone and tiled roofs that gleam an earthen red in the sun. At one time, they were clearly meant to have been symmetric. However, it seems that as the generations have gone by, each has made modifications to appear less like the other. The College of Magic has floating balconies, stained glass that moves with the breeze, a collection of colored lights lazily orbiting its highest tower. The College of Matter flowers with carvings on every surface, painted frescoes, lapping fountains, models of the constellations wrought from the finest silver. Both are crowned by all manner of gargoyles--fantastic creatures above the College of Magic, and artists, scholars, and men-at-arms above the College of Matter.

The Fortress, however, seems aptly named... it hails from an earlier time, and while impressive, is notable mostly for its massive size. It is rough-hewn from gray stone, and seems as solid, unyielding, and forbidding as the word of its monarch, which is absolute law in Heirwater. It is doubly-guarded, and every surface seems to speak the same message--don't dare to defy the rule of the Heir. Its windows are narrow arrow-slits, and everything about it seems to call back to an earlier time, when a barbaric warlord built an unassailable castle on a remote island, in which his young son and heir should be raised.
Oct 26, 2015 5:22 pm
Corey and Wilfred squint at Jean, at Jean's card (held upside-down), and at each other for a long second. Then Corey slowly nods. "I s'pose... seein' as how you have a card..."

Wilfred hands the card back to him. "Quite so, quite so. Commercial clockwork an' all. Step on through, an' step lively, won't you!"

The guards part. Across the sunny lawn, golden-curls, who has been watching all this with a careful eye, nods to himself and returns his attention to steering Tosher towards the far drawbridge. "Ale it is, my good bull! I know where we can get it by the trough-ful. Metaphorically speaking, of course."
Oct 26, 2015 5:46 pm
Eldrick nods to the guards and attempts to lead Charles through the gates to speak to someone about the Academy.
Oct 26, 2015 5:48 pm
The guards step aside unthinkingly. If they know one thing, it's that you hop lively when an officer of House Fortesqueue wants to get through.

OOC: So right now I have Charles, Eldrick, and Jean headed into the Academy, while Tosher is heading back to the Market Square with golden-curls and his men. I think I'll pause the action here to find out what Xulara's up to, then get jump links going into the other locations!
Oct 26, 2015 5:51 pm
Tosher walks off towards the bridge the golden haired man is gesturing to. "Are there not any with an actual trough?", he asks as they set off. In his mind he is thinking of all they ways to dismember these hooded whelps. All he will need is a small opening.
Last edited October 26, 2015 5:52 pm
Oct 26, 2015 5:51 pm
"Thank you lads. Keep up the good work." Jean flips a silver piece at each guard and saunters into the College.

OOC: Sorry, just saw your post about pausing. I will stand by.

Friar_Tuk sent a note to smrvl
Last edited October 26, 2015 5:52 pm
Oct 26, 2015 6:59 pm
As the remaining two enter the building and are out of earshot, I hurriedly follow after them and say as I try to sidestep the guards, "Sorry, must have gotten carried away! I hope they're waiting for me inside or this could be embarrassing!"

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Oct 26, 2015 7:23 pm
The guards narrow their eyes at the woman in front of them. "You weren't... with them, though," objects Corey. "Was she?"

"Not a bit of it," says Wilfred. "I don't believe they're waiting for you h'at all!"

smrvl sent a note to Moofsalot
Oct 26, 2015 9:17 pm
"You think they left without me? Well that's rude. I'll have to try back another time. Anyway, have a happy Riverthanks!" I continue walking in the opposite direction as before and circle around the building admiring it's architecture once again. As I do so, I keep the guards in my sights, keeping an eye out for the best moment to make my move towards the open window.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Oct 26, 2015 9:28 pm
smrvl sent a note to Moofsalot
As Xulara walks away, the guards begin discussing some minor point of doorguardsmanship, and quickly become engrossed in conversation.
Oct 26, 2015 10:22 pm
I disappear behind the thick shrubbery in front of he building. Stretching for a moment, I grip the latticework going up the side of the wall and attempt to ale my way up to the window.

Rolls

DEX check - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 26, 2015 10:34 pm
The latticework is a little too flimsy to climb. Xulara clatters back down. Looks like she'll need to find another way into the Academy...

OOC: You're just setting us all up to be extra-awed by a stack of crits later, aren't you.

I'm going to watch It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown with my kids. Be back a little later on with the jump link into the College of Magic and/or Drawbridge!
Oct 26, 2015 11:19 pm
Frustrated, I grab the pitons and rope out of my pack and attempt to scale up the side of the wall.

Rolls

Use Pitons (STR check?) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Oct 26, 2015 11:29 pm
A small child holding an armful of scrolls stands behind Xulara, head cocked to one side. His forehead is wrinkled in the most profound puzzlement. He's like a puppy that just cannot figure out what he's looking at.
Oct 26, 2015 11:59 pm
"Hey there. I wish there were an easier way inside. A have a friend waiting for me, but the guards won't let me through. I don't think they like me much. My name is Lara. What's your name?"
Oct 27, 2015 12:10 am
The boy opens his mouth, points to it, and shakes his head. He takes a step forward when--

"WHERE IS THAT USELESS SCROLL-RAT?!?" A bad tempered voice rattles the frame of the window above, the R's rolled in high diction and ire.

The boy shoots upright like a shot, his face instantly drained of color. Without a word, he runs to a side door, away from the main entrance that Xulara had tried to enter. The single guard there, a crusty old veteran, swings his spear wide to let the boy through without blinking.

"RAA-AAATT!!"

A dropped scroll gleams vellum-gold in the grass at Xulara's feet.
Oct 27, 2015 12:41 am
I open the scroll and read it to see if it's anything interesting. I'll also try to determine who it may belong to based on its contents, assuming I'm able to read any of it.
Last edited October 27, 2015 12:42 am

Rolls

INT check? - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Oct 27, 2015 1:05 am
Charles walks through the entrance of the College of Magic with Eldrick. "Thank you for talking to those guards back there, but it really wasn't necessary. You see, it is my first time in this city and I just wanted to have a look around. I have to be at the Newcomer Gate in the Academy tomorrow before lunch and want to make sure I know where I am going." Walking through the College of Magic, Charles will follow Eldrick and pay careful attention to the path they are taking and the building around them.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Oct 27, 2015 1:17 am
However, as Charles is looking around the hallways, he becomes distracted by the green armor being worn by Eldrick, remembering that the guard on the bridge wore red armor and that Eldrick seems to have command over the other guards. He starts inspecting the armor for house crests or other distinguishing features that might give clues to his authority.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Oct 27, 2015 2:05 am
Eldrick waves off the thanks, "It's no big thing, I wanted to get out of all those crowds anyway," he says, "besides, I have some free time before I have to meet my wife anyway and she wants me to meet new people... mingling, she called it."

You do not have permission to post in this thread.