Part 1: Goblin Arrows

load previous
Nov 3, 2015 4:58 pm
"So, I look AND act like a goat, AND you like that?! Aaahhaacckk!" That last outburst was more a feeling than actual words, but you can't seem to unscramble it true meaning. It is meant to express a disagreement with your opinion, you know that much.

"I'll tell Wish and Xora we are headed the other way then."

Hollow quietly returns to the point where she can see Wish and Xora and they are in range of her telepathy and sends to each of them, "There are two paths ahead. The one by the stream is littered with rubble and is likely to get us noticed. The GOAT-LOVER says we should take the other path. We are moving forward. Please keep an eye on the path by the stream, as we don't want to get out-flanked."
Last edited November 3, 2015 4:58 pm
Nov 3, 2015 5:16 pm
The main passage continues up beyond another set of uneven steps ahead, bending eastward as it goes. A waterfall sounds out from a larger cavern somewhere ahead of you.

You can see a rickety bridge spanning a passage overhead as you round the curve. Beyond the bridge the passage continues curving to the east (right).

As Kama continues around and heads toward the bridge you can hear the sound of water growing louder quickly... too quickly. The passage is suddenly filled with a mighty roar, as a huge surge of rushing water pours down from above!

Order is Kama, followed by Hollow 15 feet behind, followed by Wish and Xora 15 more feet behind, correct? And Wish/Xora have a torch?

Everybody needs to roll a Dexterity save AND a Strength save

In situations like this where someone has to roll a save, would you like me to just roll the saves for everyone? This would save time, but I know a lot of people don't like when people roll the dice for them.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Nov 3, 2015 5:57 pm
Well... crap.

Kama braces himself as best he can against the onrush of water. Inwardly he knows how difficult this will be, but one can hope. Before the surge reaches him, he shouts, "Alarm!" and takes a deep breath.

OOC: I'm okay with either method of saving. If you do it and I fail, at least I can blame your crummy dice.
Last edited November 3, 2015 6:23 pm

Rolls

DEX Save - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

STR Save - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Nov 3, 2015 6:36 pm
Wish gracefully dives into the onrushing wave and swims like a dolphin to combat being swept backwards. As he does so, he clumsily reaches out to try to grab Xora and keep her gas-breathing snout above water.
Last edited November 3, 2015 6:37 pm

Rolls

DEX save - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

STR save to combat the current (with ADV) - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (17) = 17

1d20 : (3) = 3

STR save to try to help Xora - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Nov 3, 2015 6:58 pm
Hollow's yelp is drowned out by the crashing water. She does her best to jump into it and get away from the walls that could potentially do the most damage.

Rolls

Dex save - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Str save - (1d20-2)

(4) - 2 = 2

Nov 3, 2015 7:58 pm
Kama is unable to avoid the flow of water but manages to brace himself against it and is not moved from his spot.
Wish gracefully swims against the current to safety
Hollow is too stunned to move and is caught with the full force of the crashing wave, ending up on her back at the mouth of the cave
Xora easily steps into the room that held the wolves and avoids the wave completely.

Kama can now see a goblin on the bridge, looking down after the flood to see if anyone remains in the cave. He sees Kama and looks like he's getting ready to signal for something, possibly another wave?

Before anyone can react the goblin signals to someone in the room to his left. After that he draws a javelin and throws it down at Kama, missing terribly.

Hollow takes 6 bludgeoning damage from the force of the water

Player initiative now, the goblin has just signaled to another room for something, but you're not sure what it is yet.

Rolls

Xora Dex Save - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Xora Str Save - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Damage from the wave to Hollow - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Secret Roll

Player Initiative - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Goblin Initiative - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Javelin Attack/Damage on Kama - (1d20+1, 1d6-1)

1d20+1 : (4) + 1 = 5

1d6-1 : (4) - 1 = 3

Nov 3, 2015 9:52 pm
*Well, THAT wasn't natural...*

Wish realizes that he was mistaken - it wasn't Xora who slipped from his fingers in the flood, but Hollow. He back to the light of the cave mouth to check on her, and to dig out his oilskin pouch of flint & tinder.

He helps her to her feet and steadies her. "Are you hurt? Can you stand? What WAS that?"
Nov 3, 2015 10:01 pm
Kama does a quick assessment of the situation. In all likelihood there are a number of goblins off to the side, probably just beyond that side of the bridge. And he is apparently alone now. He makes a split-second decision and commits to it.

"Wish!" calls the half-orc. "We're gonna have company!"

Kama twists his body, spinning as he reaches down for the javelin at his feet. As he comes back around, he plants his feet, launches the javelin at the goblin on the bridge, and shouts:

"You dropped this!"

Rolls

Thrown Javelin at Goblin - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Damage on Javelin - (1d6+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Nov 3, 2015 10:08 pm
The Javelin goes sailing past the goblin's head, missing him by inches as he quickly moves out of the way. The motion of dodging knocks him off balance and he falls off of the bridge, at Kama's feet. He lands awkwardly on his head and his neck makes a sickening cracking sound as it breaks. The goblin is motionless.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Goblin fall damage - (2d6)

(25) = 7

Nov 3, 2015 10:20 pm
What in the hell?! I look around when the message invades my head and find myself glaring suspiciously at Hollow. At that moment a wave crashees into her and rolls past me.
Last edited November 3, 2015 10:20 pm
Nov 3, 2015 10:24 pm
Hollow staggers to her feet and pushes free of Wish and limps and staggers back to the bridge room. Her eyes glow with a cold light and her hands sparkle as giving off stardust. When she sees the dead goblin she pauses for a moment and gives a pout of frustration.

"Yes, but the threat remains. We must press on for now."

She does not however make a move to lead.
Nov 3, 2015 10:26 pm
Moments after Hollow reaches Kama and the goblin, you hear another wave crashes down the passageway. Expecting it this time, you are all able to make it out of the way.

Now that the goblin is dead, it is totally silent
Nov 3, 2015 10:39 pm
Gah, I look like a wet pig.

Kama peels himself away from the wall, which he used to help brace himself against the second wave. He looks at the rest of the party and tightens his grip on his greataxe.

"They know we're here," he says, ignoring the obviousness. "More gobbos to the right, number unknown. I'm guessing the path will take us there, or somewhere that we can access the room they're in."

Kama listens to the lack of noise. "They might be waiting to see if we're dead. Or maybe a signal from the fellow at our feet. Anybody speak Goblin?"

Kama is thinking of drawing the goblins in, or at least settling them down in order to re-establish surprise.
Nov 3, 2015 10:52 pm
"The time for subterfuge is over I think. We should press the the attack. Take this." Hollow presses her crossbow and bolts into Kama's hands. "Drop it when we get into melee, I can buy another later."
Nov 3, 2015 11:51 pm
Everyone gains 10 xp for the death of Bridge Goblin, may he rest in peace
Nov 3, 2015 11:57 pm
I catch up to the rest of the group in a slow jog, looking around quickly for immediate threats before addressing them. "Are we killing them now or what?" I make note of their condition and just shake my head. Amateurs.
Nov 4, 2015 12:06 am
Kama takes the offered weapon, and checks to make sure the bolt is primed. "All right," he says. "I'll advance, and get into melee when we find them. They may be fortified or behind barricades, so if that's the case we'll need to either find cover of our own, or flush them out somehow." He checks that the rest of the party is set.

"I trust the rest of you to unleash death from afar.
" Kama begins to make his way up the path, crossbow held at the ready. He adds as an aside, "Just watch your aim. I don't want to be a skewered wet pig up there."
Nov 4, 2015 12:13 am
My nostrils flare at the insult. "If you get hit with one of my arrows, it won't be an accident."
Nov 4, 2015 12:14 am
The passage continues to curve around to the east, leading to a set of rough stone steps leading south. To the left of the steps you can see the stream is flowing from the up above. Advancing up the steps you come into a larger cavern.

This cavern is half filled with what used to be two large pools of water, to your left, empty now after they drained them atop you. The cavern extends to the south and east (now your left). It is inhabited by 3 goblins, which are standing by the empty pools. On your right is a passage heading west, apparently toward the rickety bridge. On the far side of the chamber is another set of stairs leading up.

Seeing you climb the steps, the goblins panic. Two of them draw small javelins and another prepares to run toward the steps in the back of the room.

Goblin 1 rushes at Kama, taking a wild stab at him. He appears to score a very solid hit of Kama's chest, but as it begins to press through his armor the spear shatters in his hand. The shock of the spear exploding gives Kama time to swing back, his axe swinging right over the little goblin's head

Goblin 2 throws his javelin at Kama, which misses widely, and then draws a nasty looking little sword.

Goblin 3 makes a break for the stairs, shouting for assistance

Player Turn

Goblin 1 is standing in front of Kama with a broken spear
Goblin 2 is approaching Kama with a sword
Goblin 3 is at the base of the stairs of the other side of the room, about 25 feet from Kama

Also... Seriously? A crit that did 0 damage?

Rolls

Player Initiative - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Goblin Initiative - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Goblin 1 Attack/Damage on Kama - (1d20+1, 1d6-1)

1d20+1 : (20) + 1 = 21

1d6-1 : (1) - 1 = 0

Goblin 2 Attack/Damage on Kama - (1d20+1, 1d6-1)

1d20+1 : (9) + 1 = 10

1d6-1 : (3) - 1 = 2

Goblin 1, Critical Damage! - (1d6-1)

(1) - 1 = 0

Kama Opportunity attack on Goblin 1 - (1d20+5, 1d12+3)

1d20+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

1d12+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Nov 4, 2015 12:40 am
Kama drops the unfired crossbow, and swings his greataxe as the goblin smashes its spear into him. He grunts as his attack of opportunity misses, and curses his forgetfulness that Yes, Kama, goblins are shorter!

Using the momentum of the missed attack, Kama crosses his arms and maneuvers the head of his greataxe back around and over his head, turning it in a downward diagonal slice.

OOC: Crits that do 0 damage usually result in wet undergarments and a shaking need to grab the nearest quaff of ale.

Rolls

Attack on Goblin 1, Damage - (1d20+5, 1d12+3)

1d20+5 : (18) + 5 = 23

1d12+3 : (12) + 3 = 15

load next

Thread locked