Part 1: Goblin Arrows

load previous
Nov 5, 2015 1:45 am
Klarg takes an arrow to his massive chest, staggering him slightly as he advances on Kama.

At this point the two wolves you rescued earlier charge in, revealing the source of the barking coming up behind you. The first wolf leaps to intercept Ripper, catching his throat in his jaws and bearing him to the ground. Ripper goes limp in the other wolf's jaws. The other leaps for Klarg, slamming into him, attempting to take him down. Klarg flexes his massive muscles and manages to stay on his feet.

Klarg ignores the pesky wolf, worried more about Kama's huge axe he takes a swing at him. Kama barely manages to duck out of the way of an attack that surely would have crushed his skull.

The two goblins that Wish has engaged drop their bows and draw weapons. Goblin 1 pulls out a spear, thrusting for Wish's belly, but his attack is turned by his fine armor. Goblin 2 draws a short sword and takes a swipe as well, gashing Wish terribly across his chest (8 damage).

Goblin 3, seeing the pretty tiefling launch a powerful magical bolt at Ripper, fires an arrow at her, hitting her in the side (5 damage). The arrow penetrates deeply, causing Hollow's knees to buckle and her vision to go black. She is unconscious.

Goblin 1: 0 damage, Engaged with Wish
Goblin 2: 4 damage, Engaged with Wish
Goblin 3: 0 damage, currently not engaged
Ripper: Dead
Klarg: 14 damage, engaged with Wolf 2 and Kama

PLAYER TURN

Rolls

Wolf 1 attack on Ripper - (1d20+4, 2d4+2)

1d20+4 : (11) + 4 = 15

2d4+2 : (33) + 2 = 8

Wolf 2 attack on Klarg - (1d20+4, 2d4+2)

1d20+4 : (18) + 4 = 22

2d4+2 : (11) + 2 = 4

Klarg Str Save vs prone - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Klarg attack on Kama - (1d20+4, 2d8+2)

1d20+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

2d8+2 : (84) + 2 = 14

Goblin 1 attack on Wish - (1d20+1, 1d6-1)

1d20+1 : (12) + 1 = 13

1d6-1 : (6) - 1 = 5

Goblin 2 attack on Wish - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d6+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

Goblin 3 arrow on Hollow - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d6+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Nov 5, 2015 2:31 am
(Ouch! That goblin is a bruiser, with that +2 damage!)

Wish draws his rapier and stabs Goblin 2, calling out "Kama, if we survive this, remind me to talk to you about sneaking up on an enemy..."

Rolls

Rapier attack, damage on hit - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

1d8+3 : (8) + 3 = 11

Critical hit damage - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Nov 5, 2015 2:45 am
For the ducking Kama, time seems to slow as he watches each and every imperfection in that morningstar pass uncomfortably close to his face. Instinct and rote training kick in at this point, and Kama rises to bring his greataxe around in an upward slash, aiming for Klarg's midsection.

Rolls

Greataxe attack on Klarg, Damage - (1d20+5, 1d12+3)

1d20+5 : (14) + 5 = 19

1d12+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Great Weapon Fighting re-roll of the 2, must take results of second roll - (1d12+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Nov 5, 2015 3:14 am
Now that the wolf is taken care of, my eyes are hyper-focused on my target as I unleash another arrow, this time aiming for Klarg's head.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Damage - (1d8+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Nov 5, 2015 3:47 am
::::nearly silent groan:::

edit: CCCRRRRRAAAAAAPPPP!!!! These dice hate me now. I used up all the good ones early.
Last edited November 5, 2015 3:51 am

Rolls

Death saving throw - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Nov 5, 2015 4:00 am
Wish's fine blade pierces through Goblin 2's chest and exits out his back. The little beast stares down uncomprehendingly at the blade before falling over, quite dead.

Kama's great axe begins sinking into Klarg's midsection, but before it can go too far Klarg grabs hold of Kama's wrist and shoves, staggering him and forcing him to remove his axe. Klarg yells furiously, "Klarg Ki-*bluch*", his words shortened by the presence of an arrow in his throat. He releases Kama's arm and grabs at his neck, trying to stem the flow of his precious blood. In moments he is on his knees, and then he is on his face, dead.

Hollow's lifeblood flows freely from her punctured side, she doesn't have much time left.

Wolf 1 and 2 get off of their kills and bound over to Wish's side, biting and ripping at Goblin 1. Goblin 1 goes down easily under their coordinated attacks.

Being the last of his group, Goblin 3 drops his bow and cowers, begging for mercy in broken common.

Combat over!

Players gain 125 xp for these two encounters, plus 150 for defeating the leader of the goblin tribe

Everyone should now be at 435 exp? You may gain your level after you complete a long rest.

Hollow is down, with one death save standing between her and certain doom. You still haven't found Gundren or Sildar yet. And you have a goblin who has surrendered to you and is begging for his life.

Rolls

Wolf 1 attack on Goblin 1 - (1d20+4, 1d20+4, 2d4+2)

1d20+4 : (11) + 4 = 15

1d20+4 : (14) + 4 = 18

2d4+2 : (44) + 2 = 10

Wolf 2 attack on Goblin 1 - (1d20+4, 1d20+4, 2d4+2)

1d20+4 : (16) + 4 = 20

1d20+4 : (15) + 4 = 19

2d4+2 : (42) + 2 = 8

Nov 5, 2015 5:20 am
I'm about to kick Hollow's body aside and out of my path when, against my better judgement, I take a closer look at her wounds to confirm that she is truly dead. She isn't. "Still alive." I spit the words out, but it's hard to tell whether they are said in surprise or in disgust. Perhaps a mixture of the two? Noticing the arrow, I carefully remove it from her, then bandage her wound haphazardly. Once that is done, I clean her blood off the arrow and place it in my quiver. "Don't expect me to do this again. Unless there's ammunition in it for me, that is." You're not quite sure if that's meant to be a joke. It doesn't seem that way.

Stupid woman needs to learn when to choose her battles. Can't expect others to come save you. I look down at her one last time before I continue towards the goblin, cornering him menacingly.

OOC: Using inspiration!
Last edited November 5, 2015 5:38 am

Rolls

Medicine Check (with advantage!) - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

1d20+3 : (13) + 3 = 16

Nov 5, 2015 5:30 am
With Xora's care, Hollow is soon resting easy. She should wake in just a couple of hours.

The goblin cowers before Xora, whimpering pathetically, "Please don't kill me, please please please," he repeats himself over and over again.

Rolls

Recover I'm 1d4 hours - (1d4)

(2) = 2

Nov 5, 2015 5:42 am
"Where did you take the prisoners." I'm in the goblin's face, staring down at him. Little sparks of electricity seem to be flowing outwards from my snout.
Nov 5, 2015 5:46 am
The goblin sputters, "Stupid hooman is other side bridge, in eating cave. Yeemik keep him dere. Stinky dwarf is at castle with king boss!"

Shaking with fear, the goblin expels the contents of his bladder. You can smell the urine and see a puddle forming beneath his feet.

The wolves are sitting by Hollow, patiently waiting for her to wake up.

Rolls

Goblin con save - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Nov 5, 2015 6:03 am
I turn and walk away from him. "Someone tie him up so he can't run off and alert his friends that we're coming for them."
Nov 5, 2015 6:34 am
Kama stares down at the slain bugbear with dilated eyes and flared nostrils. After a few moments of silence, he inhales sharply and swings his greataxe down at the monster's neck to decapitate the body. He wraps his fingers in the bugbear's hair and lifts the trophy off the ground.

With the fresh splatter of blood dripping down his face and glistening in the faint light of dying embers, Kama turns to look at the lone goblin. He exhales, his breath steaming in consideration of the cowering creature.

"How many more of you across the bridge?" he growls through tusked teeth, his voice tight and low.
Nov 5, 2015 6:52 am
Vignette of the first hour of Hollow's recovery:
* Wish controls flame on the torch to expand the flames and shape them into a burning globe in the fire pit (lasts 1 hour). (If there isn't fuel in the fire pit, he'll break up some boxes and feed the fire before the hour is out, so that Xora and he will have light while Hollow recovers). "Sounds like Gundren isn't here. I wonder who the 'stoopid hooman' is?"
* Having assured the light source, he'll bind the goblin while it's still intimidated by the others. "Hollow's going to need a while to recover."

* Wish searches this cavern and the boxes of supplies to see if there's anything of interest.

If nothing comes along to molest us during the first hour, Wish will rest during the second hour. If/when that happens, I'll roll a hit die for regained HP when it is complete. "We might as well rest while we wait for Hollow to wake up."
Last edited November 5, 2015 6:54 am

Rolls

Perception while searching the cavern - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Nov 5, 2015 7:11 am
The goblin faints at the sight of Klarg's severed head.

Wish finds that the majority of the supplies are marked with the blue lion symbol of the Lionshield Coster, a trading company that has recently set up a trading post and warehouse in Phandalin.

Wish also finds an unlocked treasure chest among the supplies. It contains 600 cp, 110 sp, two potions of healing, and a jade statuette of a frog with tiny golden orbs for the eyes. The statuette is small enough to fit in your pocket.

You manage to rest for the full two hours safely. You have completed a short rest (everyone except Hollow, who is awake now with 1 HP) and may spend your Hit Dice to recover your health.
Nov 5, 2015 7:42 am
Since the unconscious goblin will prove to be an easy prisoner for Wish to secure, Kama allows the battle lust to dissipate. As the group rests, a now-calm Kama sits cross-legged next to the two wolves watching over Hollow. He does not attempt to pet the wolves, instead he allows them to familiarize themselves with his scent, on their own time. If the wolves make first contact, Kama reciprocates.

When the goblin wakes, Kama walks over to the creature and sits in front of it. He repeats his question, this time with a quiet demeanor, "How many more of you are there, across the bridge?"

CancerMan sent a note to Naatkinson
Nov 5, 2015 7:56 am
Naatkinson says:

Wish also finds an unlocked treasure chest among the supplies. It contains ... a jade statuette of a frog with tiny golden orbs for the eyes. The statuette is small enough to fit in your pocket.
Wish, ever the scientist, puts this to the test. It does! It does fit in his pocket!

The flawed part of him delights in this.

Wish takes one of the potions and hands the other to Hollow, then points out the chest with money in it to the others. "Looks like they've been robbing caravans for a while...but they've either been sending the gold elsewhere, or someone's been skimming off the top."
Last edited November 5, 2015 8:00 am

Rolls

Hit Die for regained HP - (1d8+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Nov 5, 2015 1:47 pm
The goblin renews it's shaking, terrified of Kama, "Me not know! Me no count! Please no kill poor Fizbin!"
Nov 5, 2015 3:58 pm
I wonder if counting his own fingers when they're separated from his body will help jog his memory?

"I'll make it simple, then," says Kama, struggling to retain his previous calm. He rests his empty hands on his knees and takes a deep breath. "Besides Yeemik, there are other goblins with the human, yes? More than the number of your friends taking dirt naps here? Or less?"
Nov 5, 2015 4:16 pm
The goblin is quick to speak, wanting to stay on the big guy's good side, "More! More!" he pauses to think for a second, "No more Klargs though!"
Nov 5, 2015 5:10 pm
Kama nods, approvingly. "Are there more traps across the bridge?" he asks, continuing a calm line of interrogation. Kama remembers the surging river quite vividly, and he'd like to avoid similar encounters.

OOC: If anyone else has a question for our little friend here, feel free to ask. Eventually I'd like him to draw us a map of the caves beyond.
load next

Thread locked