Part 1: Goblin Arrows

load previous
Nov 6, 2015 3:25 am
The slope is at the edge of the light from the cave mouth
Nov 6, 2015 5:08 am
Wish nods. "Yeah, I can do something similar with fire..." He glances at Fizbin. "Does Yeemik keep a fire, perhaps for cooking?"

He sees how impatient everyone else is; he gets it, because he's eager to rescue Sildar, too.

"Whether a cook fire is lit or not, I suppose I could carry a torch and fight alongside Kama, leaving Hollow and Xora able to fire at range..."

Wish hated to see one of his companions - Hollow - so close to death (and didn't relish how close he came, either!), so he doesn't like the idea of doing another frontal attack. But he's somewhat confident that he and Kama would work well side-by-side. He pulls out and lights another torch and draws his rapier again. "Other ideas? Which approach sounds best?"
Nov 6, 2015 5:23 am
I've managed to collect a small pile of the most useful weapons together while the rest of the party members yammered on and on. I drop it loudly on the ground in the middle of the group. "We go in, I shoot. Plan is always the same. Here. Weapons." I grab a javelin for myself.
Nov 6, 2015 6:01 am
"Don't forget, they still have Sildar," says Kama. "Assuming the human is still alive, they may threaten him or use him as a shield." He nods to Xora, but opts not to take one javelin of his own. He hasn't had much luck with these goblin weapons, lately.

Kama hefts the severed head of the bugbear. "I'm looking to shock the gobbos, hard. Break their resolve to fight, make them question themselves when they see this rolling at their feet. That should buy us time to whittle their numbers. Maybe even make the entire lot surrender." He gestures to the caverns beyond, ignoring the droplets of gore spitting about. "I go in first, bring all their eyes on me. The rest of you pick out the immediate threats and silence them."
Nov 6, 2015 6:08 am
Wish nods, sheathes his rapier, and takes one of the proffered javelins. "Thanks, Xora. I'll be right behind you, Kama. Let's go!"
Nov 6, 2015 6:09 am
"Based on our prisoner's description there are plenty of places to hid in that chamber. Keep a sharp eye out.
Nov 6, 2015 1:59 pm
Fizbin thinks for a moment, "Yeemik no keep fire in sleep area, high spot. Yeemik friends keep fire in low spot." he says, pointing to the higher area and lower area on his map.
Nov 6, 2015 3:59 pm
"Stands to reason that Sildar would be kept in the low area," says Kama, "though if they're expecting us, there's no telling where they'll move him to." He half-shrugs. A small part of him is much more interested in the anatomical study of a goblin's innards through first-hand reference, than the rescue of the human.

Kama looks at Fizbin, then asks the group, "Tie him up here?" He returns his gaze to the bound goblin. "After all, the fight will get confusing, and I'll be swinging at anything short and spiky. Wouldn't want him to get hurt." The last bit was primarily for Fizbin's ears and benefit.
Nov 6, 2015 4:03 pm
Fizbin glances at Kama's large axe and pales, "Fizbin be good, Fizbin stay here!"
Nov 6, 2015 4:54 pm
"I don't trust him not to run off and tell King Boss that we are planning to rescue our employer. I say bind him, hands and feet. If he keeps his promise to behave, next time maybe we only bind his hands."
Last edited November 6, 2015 4:55 pm
Nov 6, 2015 9:44 pm
Fizbin is compliant as you bind his hands and feet. What choice does he have?

As you prepare to leave, the wolves stand when Hollow does, the male on her right and the female on her left. The stick to her like glue, not even letting the rest of the party get too close to her.

[Rolling Wolf stealth now, you may all roll when you get a chance]
[I am counting the wolves in the results of your group stealth check]

Rolls

Wolf Stealth - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

1d20+4 : (19) + 4 = 23

Nov 6, 2015 10:13 pm
Hollow seems a little concerned with the attention the wolves are giving her, but she shakes it off to focus on the task at hand. She slowly makes her way down the hall letting Kama and the others go first.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Nov 6, 2015 10:33 pm
(OoC: Even wolves respect the aristocracy!)

Wish tries to keep up with Kama as he slinks down the corridor and across the bridge.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Nov 6, 2015 10:38 pm
Kama stalks down the passageway, greataxe in one hand, a tangle of bugbear hair attached to the head in the other. He mentally pushes out any thoughts of concern; the time is now, and the task is at hand.

Rolls

Stealth with Disadvantage - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

1d20+1 : (18) + 1 = 19

Nov 7, 2015 12:14 am
I wait until the others leave, then I take the rear guard once more.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Nov 7, 2015 12:29 am
The party moves along toward the chamber where they are keeping Sildar. They cross the rickety bridge over the main passage which creaks ominously but no one comes to investigate. Kama walks up and peers around the corner into the chamber. This large cave is divided in half by a ten-foot-high escarpment. A steep natural staircase leads from the lower portion to the upper ledge. The air is hazy with the smoke of a cooking fire, and pungent from the smell of poorly cured hides and unwashed goblins.

Kama can see five goblins around the fire, eating their meal. None of them is obviously the leader. None of them seem to have noticed Kama watching them. The closest goblin is about 20 feet from where Kama is standing, and the stairs stand about 30 feet away.

[Refer to area 6 on the map I posted]

Party Order: Kama, Wish, Hollow/Wolves, Xora
Nov 7, 2015 6:29 am
Sildar must be on the upper level, unless we're too late. Gonna assume Yeemik and maybe more gobbos are up there, too. Be ready to fan out behind and pick off targets. I'm going in.

I hope she's listening.

Kama takes a deep breath and mentally assures himself that he still has his greataxe and Klarg's head. He summons all 6' 6" of his half-orc frame, sticks out his chest, and strides purposefully into the room towards the five goblins and the fire. His lips turn into a scowl behind his tusks.

I hope this works.
Nov 7, 2015 5:52 pm
Wish takes position at the corner and readies himself to step around with the torch and throw a javelin on Kama's word.
Nov 7, 2015 8:09 pm
In situations like this, I will be listening. I've got your back in this Kama. It's time to move.
Nov 7, 2015 8:50 pm
The goblins don't pay Kama much heed at first, assuming the large half-orc is their leader Klarg. A few moments later the goblins on the other side of the fire see that he's holding Klarg's head in his hand. They point at Kama wordlessly and sputter.

Kama gets closer and closer and still they can't speak. The goblins with their back to Kama turn to face him and gape.

Kama stands about 10 feet away at this point, the rest of you stand 20 feet away.

[I'll give you each an action here. Consider this your surprise round]
load next

Thread locked