Part 1: Goblin Arrows

load previous
Nov 11, 2015 5:33 am
Kill him. Kama, get Sildar out of here. Hollow sends to her party the moment Sildar is clear of the steps.

"Cha'thul fan!" Hollow lets out a yell then rushes to cover Sildar and get him out the chamber.

Rolls

Eldritch Blast - (1d20+6, 1d10)

1d20+6 : (7) + 6 = 13

1d10 : (9) = 9

Nov 11, 2015 6:05 am
Wish risks a quick glance of incredulity at Hollow. *That worked??!*

Then he rushes up the stairs to engage Yeemik if the goblin is still standing.
Last edited November 11, 2015 6:07 am

Rolls

Rapier (if I can close the distance this round), damage - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (18) + 5 = 23

1d8+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Nov 11, 2015 6:33 am
As much as he would like to smash Yeemik's face in, Kama understands the value of teamwork. He pulls Sildar up and attempts to fireman-carry the human out of the chamber. He casts dark glances at the goblins by his feet as he passes, daring them to give him an excuse to drop Sildar and use his weapons.
Nov 11, 2015 2:09 pm
Yeemik, having totally believed Hollow's sincerity, is caught off guard as her magical blast catches him in the chest. He staggers back but miraculously stays on his feet until Wish gracefully bounds up the staircase and puts a blade through his heart.

Kama is able to get Sildar out of the chamber, he is standing by the rickety bridge.

Gonna give another 25 xp for a spectacular betrayal
Nov 11, 2015 4:00 pm
Wish inspects Yeemik's body, and then walks around this upper terrace, looking to see if Yeemik had anything up here.

Rolls

Perception, if needed - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Nov 11, 2015 4:10 pm
Wish find a pouch on Yeemik's body which contains 3 gold teeth and 15 silver pieces. Further inspection of the upper floor reveals nothing useful, just some scraps of food, clothing, and a dirty goblin bedroll.
Nov 11, 2015 4:48 pm
Now that all targets are neutralized, I head out towards Sildar and Kama.
Nov 11, 2015 5:15 pm
Kama bears Sildar across the bridge, to the room containing provisions and the bound Fizbin. He sets the human down as gently as he can, and works to free any restraints and assess Sildar's condition.

"Name's Kama," says the half-orc. He is assuming that Silder is conscious and listening, but doesn't bother checking that until he's done with his assessment. "You're the human with Gundren?"

OOC: Well, all immediate threats are neutralized. Still got the unharmed and the badly-wounded goblins on the lower level.
Last edited November 11, 2015 5:16 pm
Nov 11, 2015 5:19 pm
The man nods, "Name's Sildar Hallwinter, and I was to accompany Gundren on his way to Phandalin," he says, and then holds his hands out to show the environment, "as you can see, we never made it. We were ambushed in the woods and dragged here. They didn't keep Gundren long, they took him to their base of operations, along with Gundren's map to Wave Echo Cave. That's probably why they were after us to begin with, and they got what they were after with no trouble."
Nov 11, 2015 5:28 pm
"What's at Wave Echo Cave?" asks Kama. He briefly leaves Sildar to bring over some of the slightly-spoiled, but hopefully still-edible, food in the goblins' stash, reasoning that anything would be better than nothing (and he gave his rations to the wolves). Kama also holds out his waterskin. "Don't suppose that has anything to do with the provisions we were hired to cart over to Phandalin?"
Nov 11, 2015 5:52 pm
Wish descends the stairs to rejoin Hollow, jingling the pouch with a grin.

He calls out to the cowering goblins: "You're free now! Both Yeemik and Klarg are no more! Hooray!" Then he turns to Hollow and stows the pouch. "Let's see what the others are up to, you tricksy minx." His respect for her keeps growing and growing.
Nov 11, 2015 6:14 pm
"Gundren and his brothers, Tharden and Nundro, discovered the lost entrance to Wave Echo Cave..." he tells the tale of Wave Echo Cave's history:
Quote:
More than five hundred years ago, clans of dwarves and gnomes made an agreement known as the Phandelver's Pact, by which they would share a rich mine in a wondrous cavern known as Wave Echo Cave. In addition to its mineral wealth, the mine contained great magical power. Human spellcasters allied themselves with the dwarves and gnomes to channel and bind that energy into a great forge (called the Forge of Spells), where magic items could be crafted. Times were good, and the nearby human town of Phandalin prospered as well. But then disaster struck when orcs swept through the North and laid waste to all in their path.

A powerful force of orcs reinforced by evil mercenary wizards attacked Wave Echo Cave to seize its riches and magic treasures. Human wizards fought alongside their dwarf and gnome allies to defend the Forge of Spells, and the ensuing spell battle destroyed much of the cavern. Few survived the cave-ins and tremors, and the location of Wave Echo Cave was lost.
He finishes the story of the history of Wave Echo Cave, "So, yes, they supplies you were bringing are for the re-opening of the cave. Mostly mining supplies and clothing."

"I also remember the goblins speaking of someone called the Black Spider, if that means anything to you," he says after a short pause while he thinks.

The goblins that Wish spoke to remain cowering on the floor of the cave while the wolves lick their lips hungrily.

Sorry for the copy/paste. It's a long story to try to work into a cohesive role-playing moment!
Nov 11, 2015 6:52 pm
Hollow won't meet the eyes of her party memebrs. She stare off toward the mouth of the cave. It might just be the rush of battle, but her face is flush. "Silver-tongued Devils. Never trust hem" she says in a low quiet tone to no one in particular. Xora hears in her mind, Not even for a minute.

Snapping back into herself, Hollow moves with purpose and says to the group, "I need to go check on my si...servants. I'm sure they are fine but we've been gone long enough. This man needs medical attention that we seem ill equipped to provide. We'll make a sled to get him back to the wagon then we head to Phandilin to learn more about that castle I think."

With that she makes to leave the cave.
Nov 11, 2015 7:12 pm
"What do we do about them?" Kama asks of the group, indicating the remaining goblins. The half-orc checks on the condition of the wounded goblin, and tears strips from their clothing to bind the gash and stop the bleeding. To the unharmed goblins, he orders them to create Hollow's sled.
Nov 11, 2015 7:14 pm
The goblins, terrified of Kama, rush to find materials to make a sled. They are able to piece something workable together in a short time.
Nov 11, 2015 7:41 pm
"How can we trust them not to run off and tell the Black Spider we are coming? I can't afford to pay them anything myself, and it is unlikely that Gundren, if he is still alive, or the townsfolk of Fandolin will want them around." She shudders a little, then continues, "I can only think of the one option." You all understand that killing them is what she is talking about, but she doesn't like it.
Nov 11, 2015 7:47 pm
Wish retrieves Hollow's crossbow and frowns threateningly at Fizbin.
"Yeemik is dead, too. Now, you're not going to do anything foolish, like trying to attack us or anyone else on the road, are you?"

If Fizbin seems disinclined to fight, Wish will smile and cut him loose. "Good. My friend Kama is trying to help one of your goblin friends who was hurt in the fighting. Now go and help us build a litter for our injured friend."

With that, Wish goes and talks to the man, clasping hands with Sildar. "Good to see you again, sir. I'm glad we were able to find you in time. We'll get you the rest of the way to Phandalin in short order. Then maybe we can figure out where the goblins' - or this Black Spider's - base of operations is, and bring him back as well. I'm sure Nundro and Tharden are worried."
Last edited November 11, 2015 7:47 pm
Nov 11, 2015 7:56 pm
Fizbin hurriedly assists in creation of the litter, all three of them are being good little goblin boys.

Sildar thanks everyone for the timely rescue, "Yes, it would be nice to get to Phandalin. Maybe I could sleep in a real bed again, my old bones aren't made for this anymore!"
Nov 11, 2015 8:19 pm
Wish points out, softly, to Hollow. "Trust is always an option." He looks at the industrious goblins, working to create a litter for their friend Sildar. "Killing in battle is one thing, but killing in cold blood...? I don't want to be that person, I don't want any of us to be that person, and I don't think you want to be that person." He looks away, out into the distance, afraid that he's flubbing his interactions with this beautiful person he wants to be his friend. "I don't know what it's like to have people depending on me, to lead people, like you do. But living on my own for so long, I've learned to value anything with a life of its own. Maybe you don't see your way to trusting these goblins to be good, and don't see another option. Allow me to suggest another option."

Wish turns to the goblins, as they've finished the travois. "Good work! Now, let me ask you something: what do you think your King will think of the job you did here today?" He squats down to be at eye level with them. "You didn't protect Klarg, and now he's dead. You didn't protect Yeemik, and now he's dead. What do you think your king is going to do if he finds you here as the only survivors? I don't think he's going to be very happy. If I were you, I'd leave, never come back, and hope that King Grol never, ever finds you." (he attempts persuasion - let me know if there are any situational modifiers or ADV) If they're not running away already, he looks at Kama and Hollow for help in intimidating these little guys.
Last edited November 11, 2015 8:21 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Nov 11, 2015 8:26 pm
The goblins don't take much convincing, they know how their boss takes to failure. If they are not stopped by any of the others, the two who were protecting Yeemik leave quickly, but Fizbin is slow to leave, obviously deep in thought.

Everyone will get one inspiration point for wonderful role-playing through the cave
load next

Thread locked