Character Creation

Oct 29, 2015 4:44 am
As I said this will certainly be a bit of a back and forth. First off here is the PDF for Modern Magic. Which introduces many new spells that work with technology that will be found throughout the entire city. I will also be posting a topic about the city of San Waterdeep, the futuristic city we play in.

Modern Magic Rules (PDF)

Next I have an article that goes through ballistics, armor, and weapons for the Modern Magic set.

Modern d20 Campaign Rules

Finally here is the image from the DM guide on firearms:

Firearms Chart

We will certainly be using modern weapons. The future weapons exist but not in starter sets. Those are harder to get a hold of. Explosives as well we can use modern stuff and I will make more futuristic tech for some of this too. Renaissance weapons will still exist, but they are rare collectors items of low power. Also all piercing from ammunition is converted to ballistics damage.

The one tweak I will make to these is that armor and firearms need prices. I will figure out appropriate pricing. I'm essentially converting the worlds currency to the equivalent gold equals GC (Gold Credits), which are the digital version of gold in this world. It's a 1 to 1 to keep things simple in the PHB. I just have to come up with the credit values for these weapons and armor and you can purchase them in game. If people want to swap in guns for their starting character stuff, but want to keep their other starting gear from class or background let me know. We can work something out.

Like I said, this will be a process, but hopefully in the end it's worth it. I know I'm excited to try taking this system to a new place. :)

Just keep in mind all of your characters have grown up mired in technology now. Global networks cover all of Faerun, and even more rural locations have plenty of security and surveillance. A special magic imbues most of the technology as well so that is where the Techromancy stuff comes in from the Modern Magic PDF.

Cosmetic implants, and some cybernetic implants are not completely unheard of, although flashier ones cost far more than smaller utility stuff. There are no hard-fast rules, so feel free to RP it into your characters traits and abilities from classes or races.

Finally, still roll your normal stuff here. For characters either place standard array, then for each trait roll 4d6, drop lowest, if that value is higher than the standard array amount, go with the new value, otherwise just point buy. Other methods may be acceptable, just let me know if you have a preferred method for rolling up stats.
Oct 29, 2015 12:09 pm
Setting standard array stats...
STR 15, DEX 13, CON 14, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 10

After rolling, final is:
STR 15, DEX 13, CON 14, INT 17, WIS 13, CHA 18.

Did I do that correctly? Or do I just pick the highest stats between the standard array and whatever I rolled (ie, replace 8 with 18, 10 with 17, etc etc)?
Last edited October 29, 2015 12:23 pm

Rolls

STR 15 vs roll - (4d6)

(4535) = 17

DEX 13 vs roll - (4d6)

(2413) = 10

CON 14 vs roll - (4d6)

(3164) = 14

INT 8 vs roll - (4d6)

(5366) = 20

WIS 12 vs roll - (4d6)

(1544) = 14

CHA 10 vs roll - (4d6)

(6646) = 22

Oct 29, 2015 12:14 pm
I happen to be awake early so I will get to rolling here...

Adjusted rolls
17, 18, 9, 11, 15, 16

OK...this is an idea I've had for a while but never had an opportunity to try...Warforged Druid!
I'm going to be a Transformer in D&D! So if it's cool I'll switch the second and fifth stat and his scores with racial adjustment will be
Str 18, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 16.
Last edited October 29, 2015 12:32 pm

Rolls

Stay rolls - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (2566) = 19

4d6 : (6266) = 20

4d6 : (2225) = 11

4d6 : (1443) = 12

4d6 : (1366) = 16

4d6 : (6641) = 17

Trinket Roll - (1d100)

(87) = 87

Oct 29, 2015 12:41 pm
foolsmask says:
Warforged Druid! I'm going to be a Transformer in D&D!
Oh man, that is so many levels of awesome!!! :-D
Oct 29, 2015 1:01 pm
I was also thinking Warforged, but more of a fighter. Something to break down doors and soak up attention.
Oct 29, 2015 1:07 pm
CancerMan says:
I was also thinking Warforged, but more of a fighter. Something to break down doors and soak up attention.
I think it would be awesome to have two robots on the team. We could even play it up that we have a small rivalry because we are either (a) from two different companies or (b) the same manufacturer but different product lines, the argument being over who is the superior model.
Oct 29, 2015 1:18 pm
Remember as you are rolling stats. You don't have to pick a stat and roll for it. In 5e you roll your pool of stat numbers and assign them how you want. Standard array works the same way. You have the numbers but you assign them to whatever stat you want. Then one by one you can roll each stat and take the higher value. Your new stat roll, or whatever you put there from standard array.
Oct 29, 2015 1:20 pm
Also I think we all agree war forged are much more advanced at this point so they are robots more than magically animated armor, but you sort of figured that one out already. All of their stuff is the same, they just are much more modernized looking.
Oct 29, 2015 1:32 pm
I'm thinking maybe Ghost In The Machine Warlock for me.
Oct 29, 2015 1:35 pm
I understand. Then, if you don't mind, I'd like to use my set of rolls, which were 14, 9, 13, 17, 13, 18.

I'll pursue the warforged fighter angle. Ideally I'd like that bond with another warforged (professional rivalry), and another player as well (perhaps the person who built or bought me).

STR 19
DEX 14
CON 18
INT 9
WIS 13
CHA 13
Oct 29, 2015 1:36 pm
Yes, people can certainly just take rolled stats. I'm just going from the PHB, it says to roll the numbers then assign them to what stats you want. I only mentioned the standard array and roll because it helps avoid low rolls if you get a second chance.
Oct 29, 2015 2:07 pm
Rolled stats: 9, 10, 10, 12, 17, 10.

Hmm... that's viable but I'll play around with point buy and see what I come up with.
Last edited October 29, 2015 2:09 pm

Rolls

Stat rolls - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (1252) = 10

4d6 : (3225) = 12

4d6 : (2216) = 11

4d6 : (1345) = 13

4d6 : (6465) = 21

4d6 : (1451) = 11

Oct 29, 2015 2:47 pm
CancerMan, character looks good so far save for one thing. In line with starting fighter equipment, you only will get the tactical vest which has a AC of 15, since that is the closest equivalent to chainmail. For 1,500GC you can get the heavier armor. You can still definitely have the shield. I'll look through the rest of the sheet soon. Just a note. Prices, as of now, are based on comparable equipment from the PHB.
Oct 29, 2015 3:09 pm
Quote:
REF+++ /SHA-MQ7703vmme==/ +++ Classified +++ SecClear Rank E5 or higher

BR33CH-A Breacher Variant (often called "Breecha") is a military model AI construct designed to assault fortified and defended positions in an urban environment, and to provide close-combat support by attacking armored targets. Mainframe built for durability with shielded components and redundant systems, with simple design suitable for maintenance at forward lines with limited facilities. Since it can be recharged, rearmed, and serviced with minimal equipment, the BR33CH-A requires little downtime and can be rapidly redeployed.

The BR33CH-A's modular design also means that it can be armed with a variety of ordnance. Standard models are equipped with the GAU-G Shotgun for urban entry operations, suitable in close-quarters. This weapon can be fitted with a variety of ammunition, ranging from the typical pellets and solid slugs, up to lock-breachers, less-lethal rubber, and high-incendiary. The BR33CH-A is also proficient in automatic and semi-automatic rifles and sidearms.

The BR33CH-A can be fitted with the Fairchild-10 Shield, Assault-class. Made of the same composite and polymer materials as the construct's frame, this shield is designed to withstand direct hits from heavy projectile fire as its enters hostile zones. Officers and command personnel often assign BR33CH-A models as personal bodyguards for this reason.

http://pre00.deviantart.net/4cfe/th/pre/f/2012/081/e/6/helmet_project_by_progv-d4tlykn.jpg
This particular model fell into the hands of (one of the player characters), who discovered the security override and claimed ownership. Breecha obeys (this player character) as a commanding officer.

As the rest of the group fleshes out their characters, Breecha's bonds will be further developed.

EDIT: Thanks, I'll adjust the armor on the character sheet accordingly. Is that the Tactical Vest (AC 15 + DEX) or the Special Response Vest (AC 15)?
Last edited October 29, 2015 3:13 pm
Oct 29, 2015 3:33 pm
Special Response vest. It's most comparable to chainmail for starting.
Oct 29, 2015 3:39 pm
Excellent, thanks.

Finally, where can I find statistics on Long Arms and Sidearms? I am specifically interested in a shotgun to count as my one martial weapon, and two pistols to count as the two handaxes, from the fighter starting equipment.
Oct 29, 2015 3:58 pm
Ah, my bad. It's in the DM handbook. Let me get that clipped and posted in the top post.
Oct 29, 2015 4:08 pm
Since my character is a hacker I volunteer to be BR33CH-A's buddy! :-D
Oct 29, 2015 4:21 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Since my character is a hacker I volunteer to be BR33CH-A's buddy! :-D
Works for me!
Oct 29, 2015 4:27 pm
Updated header post to show the weapons table. Modern weaponry is most common, but even then most common weapons are integrated into the large scale network in this world. They see able and hack able. Futuristic weapons do exist, but are out of scope for starting characters.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.