Character Creation

load previous
Oct 31, 2015 3:06 pm
I like that. That sounds like a very interesting concept. Maybe we'll roll it into a new game class. I'll check out the PHB later and the other documents to see what it closest lines up to. Did you have a starting point in mind?
Oct 31, 2015 3:43 pm
I was thinking 'wizard' would probably be the best starting point -- the cantrips can represent the stuff he can do 'til the cows come home and the spells could be the special items. I'd be tempted to think about having Dex be his magic stat rather than Int, though.

Likely cantrips could be:

acid splash
fire bolt
light -- but perhaps ranged, and not 'touch' - iffy on this one
poison spray
ray of frost
true strike
maybe shocking 'grasp' but instead it's more like 'shocking pistol whip'.

I could see maybe a warlock - especially a blade pact or perhaps the ghost in the machine might be an option too. The blade pact warlock could work nicely as a concept - but given the limit on 1 weapon, it might either be a particularly nasty looking handgun or a two-handed weapon/rifle. That said, the warlock spells don't seem to line up as nicely.
Last edited October 31, 2015 3:45 pm
Oct 31, 2015 4:17 pm
The guns from the movies 'Judge Dredd' and 'Dredd' come to mind for me. Those guns had a great range of ammo types. Using the Arcane Focus rules, you could say that the Focus is in the gun (or the gun itself) and that you can't cast your spells without it. Those guns recognized DNA of the wielder. If you kept that "rule" the gun wouldn't work for anyone else. That would be cool.

The only hiccup I see is that wizards don't have gun proficiency the way the rules are written. I think it would be an easy fix to just give sidearms to wizards, but that's not my call.
Oct 31, 2015 4:23 pm
As far as the cantrips go, that list all works I think. 1st level spells like Magic Missle and Witch Bolt stick out as obvious 1st level spells
Oct 31, 2015 4:46 pm
I think it makes sense that a gunmage class should gain the same sidearm proficiency as the techromancer. So we can house rule that so it is true.

Edit: I think a modified wizard school may make the most sense. I can look over some rules and draft something up. Maybe lasted tonight.
Oct 31, 2015 6:18 pm
Sounds good -- L1 characters, right?
Oct 31, 2015 7:25 pm
Yes, we will all start level 1. Also I mentioned it before but you are a pre-existing team that has done jobs before. Feel free to bring that into your RP and backgrounds. :)
Nov 1, 2015 3:10 am
Jabes, the character looks good. Feel free to swap out your crossbow with a comparable ranged weapon from modern weapons if you want. That is up to you. If you still want to be rocking a crossbow we can just think of them more as more composite crossbows. The same goes for bows. They are compound bows.
Nov 1, 2015 3:21 am
Since we've worked together, Breecha tends to be the "heavy weapons" of the team, even though he will start off with a shotgun and pistol. In rooms where you know the enemy is waiting, direct him into the room first to soak up their attention with his bulk and his shield. Use him as mobile cover at times while you return fire with bullets or spells. If the door is locked, Breecha will use his mace and strength as a key. Threats to the team are met with physical force. Breecha will seek to protect his CO (Kessel Nor) first and the team second by interposing himself and his shield, followed by a head-first assault upon the target(s).

Within the team, Breecha personally prefers being the blunt instrument, a battering ram smashing his way Hulk-style through the opposition, and he likes breaking things. He also prefers the direct approach, but will defer to the tactical decisions made by others. Breecha obeys Kessel practically without question, so long as they do not break his prime directives. He respects the other members of the team and acknowledges their unique skills, understanding that their talents help supplement the unit as a whole.

In conversation, Breecha's voice resembles his appearance; bulky and direct.
Nov 1, 2015 3:35 am
Falryx. I like the idea of your gun being your magic focus. One thing I've realized is even if you don't have proficiency with guns (just meaning you can't add your proficiency bonus to them), that is only for your standard attack. If we rule it that you are using magically imbued ammunition it makes sense that your gun works better for you that way.

So I'm thinking that you can start with a sidearm instead of a quarterstaff or dagger, and it becomes the same effect as a focus for you, you need it to cast the spells. The "school" of wizardry you would want is up to you, but the techromancy school is the only one that would actually make you proficient in a standard attack with your gun (regular bullet).

I think of it as your cantrips are certain types of ammo you always keep on you. Large quantities that can easily be imbued with minor cantrips. Then the slotted spells become special ammunition you drop into the gun that has the ability to channel more powerful spells. As long as you are following the magic slot rules and working the ammo concept into the ranged damage spells as best as you can it still tracks.

Also keep in mind if you are a "wizard" you don't have to make every spell fit into the guns idea. Like light, or shocking grasp. These can still be your manipulation of magic. You just need to have your gun around to do it because it would still act as your casting focus.
Nov 1, 2015 6:41 am
PhantomNimbus says:
Jabes, the character looks good. Feel free to swap out your crossbow with a comparable ranged weapon from modern weapons if you want. That is up to you. If you still want to be rocking a crossbow we can just think of them more as more composite crossbows. The same goes for bows. They are compound bows.
I keep thinking that non-proficiency in a weapon means you can't use it at all. Thanks for reminding me this isn't the case! So non-prof means you can use it but can't add you prof bonus. Got it.

What would be a comparable modern weapon to a light crossbow? All the firearms deal much higher damage than the standard D&D ranged weapons. Also, would such a firearm still have the Loading quality? How many turns can you go with an automatic weapon before having to spend a bonus action or something to change magazines?

Though honestly, Kessel is a hacker, not a gangster. Would he even be walking around armed? And besides, he's got Eldritch Bolt and Breecha for Bahamut's sake! :-D

Which makes me wonder: what open-carry laws are we looking at in modern Faerun?
Last edited November 1, 2015 7:29 am
Nov 1, 2015 1:56 pm
They have the reload property. So you have a certain amount of shots before you need to reload it. Then reloading is either and action or bonus action, your choice.

I have been meaning to add lower damage firearms, essentially equivalent pistols as a crossbow or bow and arrow.

Open carry is only often a thing for peace keepers and most security firm agents. The general public is mostly licensed and capable of concealed carry of pistol sized weapons. Small arms. So assault rifles may be conspicuous, but that doesn't mean there aren't ways to get past notice with these. It may amount mostly to bribing a peacekeeper, or stashing the gun somewhere until you need it.

Again this is where some house ruling may come in. I almost wonder if I should restructure weapon damage to be more in line with the rest of the weaponry, but at the same time this is where the damage reduction from armor comes into play with ballistics. (remember, all ranged piercing guns are now using ballistics damage).
Nov 1, 2015 3:23 pm
Given the idea of using the gun as a focus rather than 'as a pistol' per se -- I'll assume that my key stat remains INT. If we should consider swapping it to DEX, let me know.

Standard Array:

STR: 8 CON: 10 DEX: 13 INT: 15 WIS: 14 CHA: 12

Rolling. Results in order are: 15, 13, 15, 14, 7, 14

I think with substitution that means:

STR: 15, CON: 13, DEX: 15, INT: 15, WIS: 14, CHA: 14

Did I do that right? Or am I meant to take one set or the other? Happy to do that too (I'd take the rolled set).
Last edited November 1, 2015 11:33 pm

Rolls

4d6

(5624) = 17

4d6

(4544) = 17

4d6

(1546) = 16

4d6

(5452) = 16

4d6

(1241) = 8

4d6

(2455) = 16

Nov 1, 2015 4:29 pm
falryx says:
Did I do that right? Or am I meant to take one set or the other? Happy to do that too (I'd take the rolled set).
My understanding was take 1 set or the other so that's how I did it. If you can swap specific scores then I might have a couple of swaps to make! :-)
Nov 1, 2015 10:55 pm
Quote:

Finally, still roll your normal stuff here. For characters either place standard array, then for each trait roll 4d6, drop lowest, if that value is higher than the standard array amount, go with the new value, otherwise just point buy.
I read that as "start with standard and then roll 4d6 drop lowest, if it's larger, go with that." but.. I don't have a preference. :)
Nov 1, 2015 11:14 pm
Falryx, this is right. Did it correctly. :)
Nov 1, 2015 11:32 pm
Woot! I got a cookie!

I should be able to wrap up the character sheet shortly, then turn to developing the storyline somewhat.
Nov 2, 2015 12:15 am
Sounds good. Still trying to flesh out the lore a bit more in case anyone wants to hook into any of it, or help me create more. :)
Nov 3, 2015 5:03 pm
Heads up I'm making another subforum for the rules and guides for this so I have a place here to keep everything together.
Nov 4, 2015 6:27 am
Alright, so far I think we are just waiting on Falryx to submit his character sheet, and we can get this ball rolling. As I have mentioned, this group of people are a mercenary team who has done jobs in the past. So there is definite history. Feel free to dig into that when you want or need to.

This can be part of character backstory, or just group backstory. I will also let you guys come up with where your "home base" is. Wherever you go as a group during or between missions. Maybe it's a shared flat. An old warehouse somewhere. An abandoned section of the old subway system. Whatever you want. This will be able to act as a safehouse for you during the game. Since you've been operating in this city for a while I will also try and let you guys get creative with creating characters and lore that makes sense. If you're ever unsure just ask in general discussion and I'll review it.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.