Character Creation

load previous
Nov 4, 2015 7:03 am
Well, given the less than legal nature of BR33CH-A (and maybe Preserver) we should make it someplace slightly off the grid I think. Just slightly though because we need to have some access to power and information. An old subway station has its appeal but maybe an old mechanic shop would better serve us. It could specialize in older machines and that way the presence of two robots to do the heavy lifting wouldn't be out of place. The owner doesn't have to be one of the PCs. Maybe there's an apartment in the garage or out back in the small junkyard.

Or down in the oil change bay, hidden from view.
Nov 4, 2015 7:28 am
I'm all for off-grid, or perhaps sequestered in the seedier side of town amongst other mercenaries. Or at the very least, around people who wouldn't care that we were around, and maybe might benefit from our presence. I'm thinking a slum or project full of societal rejects, all trying to get by and relying on the community to survive.

There would be a bar or some place that locals gather, share news and business. It'd also be the place that we'd get our jobs, either through an NPC contact or via some "Craiglist" type thing Equalizer-style. Maybe even strangers come to the place, hearing word on the street of a group willing to solve problems that cannot be done through normal means. It could also have a bazaar, or some type of black market network where we can purchase supplies, and no questions would be asked (since no answers would be given).

I'd like some kind of transportation. Heavy van or truck, ideally covered, capable of moving us around the city. Is that out of our price range?
Nov 4, 2015 12:08 pm
I would say collectively some form of vehicle is fine. If it was in an old mechanics shop that may even make sense that it's something the more mechanical people have fixed up.

This is a futuristic city as well so there will be public transportation systems. Subways, buses, taxi services, etc.
Nov 4, 2015 12:32 pm
Good additions CancerMan. Along the shore, downwind of the major docks in a neighborhood that is considered near slums level. And of course there's a local bar where we can sometimes be found by the down and out clients, the ones that might turn out to be our pro bono work.

As for our own transportation, yes an old van we have modded with bullet proof glass and improved suspension to lug around heavy robots. Maybe we have to make check every once in a while to make sure it can be used for a job.

How futuristic and congested are we talking? Is this like Neo-Tokyo/Future New York where owning a vehicle is a little rare? Right now we have the stereotype that no one who lives in the city owns a car. Congestion comes from the people driving into the city everyday to work and play, and the taxis. Is this the case in San Waterdeep?
Nov 4, 2015 7:18 pm
Would we have an NPC member of the team? Or could we? Talk of a mechanics shop got me thinking of having our own little grease monkey, like a grandfatherly/grandmotherly old gnome or dwarf. A non-combatant who stays back at the base, maybe fields some calls, and basically just putters around keeping things in order. Someone like Winry from Full Metal Alchemist, or Tool from The Expendables.

This NPC might have a bond with either the warlock or the gunmage, or maybe both, and he or she is the one that brought the team together.
Nov 4, 2015 7:22 pm
Your merc group, in the beginning will have some sort of handler to give you jobs. I assume a long known contact you trust. You could also definitely inject some NPCs into this for non-combat assistance or to work for you. Just know they will be canonized for better or worse. :)
Nov 4, 2015 7:52 pm
Alright everyone, I need a name for the global network in which most data is accessed in this world. Suggestions?
Nov 4, 2015 8:06 pm
Reciprocal Agglomerated Intelligence Network, or RAIN?
Nov 4, 2015 8:20 pm
Great additions, everyone! Sorry for the silence, been busy. I originally imagined Kessel as sort of a lone wolf that would only join the team on missions as a consultant of sorts but as I read your posts I'm starting to change my mind about that. I love the Equalizer reference! (Never saw the Denzel film but I was a huge fan of the original TV series). A customized vehicle? Oh man, this is the A Team!!! :-D Yeah, a lair in the seedier part of town. The black market bazaar could be in a different place each time, much like the Floating Market in Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere".
Nov 4, 2015 8:52 pm
The Forgotten Realms Internet : Virtual Ossuary Lore Organization System

Or VOLO System
Nov 4, 2015 11:50 pm
My character is going to be modeled a bit on Nico Okarr from Star Wars: The Old Republic (first video). I like the idea of a duster-wearing, nice hat, two gun-totin' smuggler who's into the smuggling more for the money and fun than because he's truly criminal in nature.

I'd be happy to arrange a connection to another player if there's an interesting fit. I can increase or decrease the index on smuggling and whatnot as we see fit.
Last edited November 4, 2015 11:51 pm
Nov 5, 2015 12:04 am
Smuggler would be an appropriate fit in this team. I like how we're riding the grey line of legality.
Nov 5, 2015 12:06 am
Falryx, love it. Yes this is a bit of a grey line job type. Also I went with RAIN for the network. It's a good one. I'm writing up special rules for use. Also I'm looking into a few custom backgrounds to make hacking more of an integrated skill for some.
Nov 6, 2015 5:28 pm
I like the new feats in the guide. Already I can see Breecha picking up Optical Enhancements first and Heavy Weapons proficiency later on.

Assuming he lives that long.
Nov 6, 2015 7:55 pm
I'm also open to any suggestions. At this point I'm generating most of these off-hand. If there is any feedback let me know. Also I just need the finalized character from Falryx and we can probably start rolling.
Nov 6, 2015 8:27 pm
Yup - sorry, I need to get to that, I had a bit of travel this week that monkeyed with my life. I was also kinda holding out to see if there was a relationship I needed to accommodate/juggle my picks for. But doesn't seem like it, so I'll get that done Soon! (tm).
Nov 6, 2015 8:29 pm
You could partner up with Preserver. But it appears that we've been in the team for a while, so it's possible to have joined on your own.
Nov 6, 2015 8:30 pm
Yeah there is any number of reasons you can have been brought together. And maybe you would prefer to only be a mission or two in together. Still finding your stride.
Nov 7, 2015 3:09 am
Any guidance on alignments? I'd prefer to be compatible with my colleagues. :)
Nov 7, 2015 3:34 am
http://38.media.tumblr.com/61b06e5b2ef09e37f28349529b846305/tumblr_inline_nb6v8gs95n1r8yxlg.png

Mack Winchester got into the smuggling business on something of a lark, really. Craving his own personal freedom and coupled with desire to leave his own personal mark on Faerun he abandoned the solid family plans in favor for life straddling the legal and criminal worlds of San Waterdeep. Mack has met with fairly consistent, and surprisingly lucky, success in his career and this has burnished his can-do risk-taking attitude as he approaches his job. As a result, he tends to take risks -- especially those that line up with his own moral code -- and so far they've turned out well.

Mack lives simply -- having developed something of a spartan lifestyle on the move. His treasured possessions number 5: His hat, his duster, his two arcane pistols and a sheet of parchment with a complex, and high-speed aircraft that he deeply desires to get the GC to build. However, despite his lust for his flying machine, most of Mack's money actually goes to his sister's family and to his brother, who is studying at an expensive private college in the university town of Daggerford.

About a year ago, Mack heard his friend J.D. was in trouble -- he'd run afoul of a half-orc crime boss named Grimt in Baldur City. Mack dropped what he was doing -- causing something of a ruckus with the work he'd picked up -- and sped south to help his friend. Wading into hostile territory with his duster and arcane pistols, Mack bluffed his way deep into the dilapidated tenement that held his friend and extracted J.D. from the belly of the beast -- capping the long-odds rescue off with some clever skulduggery and a few well-placed shots with his guns. Extraction complete, he and J.D. hightailed it out of the city to set J.D. up with a, hopefully more sane, life in Loudwater. Mack's fairly certain that Grimt and his thugs don't know who is responsible for the rescue and once his friend was back on his own two feet, Mack returned to San Waterdeep to pick up the pieces.

Since his return a few months back, Mack has been working with a new crew, ensuring he can fund his family -- and rebuilding his reputation.
Last edited November 7, 2015 3:40 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.