Character Creation

load previous
Nov 12, 2015 12:20 pm
I just realized that all this time, I haven't been adding Breecha's proficiency bonus to his firearms attack rolls. Not that it mattered thus far.
Nov 12, 2015 12:22 pm
Yes, whenever you take the AIM action with a firearm you get to add proficiency bonus. You also have to have proficiency with that type of weapon of course. :)
Nov 12, 2015 12:29 pm
Oh wait, that means I have been adding it, since I've been aiming. Sorry for the confusion!

To confirm, Breecha's DEX bonus is +2, and when he aims he can add another +2 from his proficiency bonus?
Nov 12, 2015 12:38 pm
Yup. That's right.
Nov 12, 2015 2:12 pm
Quote:
A character proficient with a firearm does not automatically add any proficiency bonus to the attack roll. Rather, proficiency with a firearm allows a character to use a bonus action to take the aim action, which adds the character’s proficiency bonus to the attack roll. Without taking the aim action (or if a character is using a firearm without proficiency), the shooter receives only the benefit of a Dexterity bonus on the attack roll.
But a non-proficient shooter still adds his DEX modifier to the damage roll?
Nov 12, 2015 2:14 pm
Yes. Dex will always be added to ranged attacks. Aim just makes it so you can add your proficiency bonus if you are proficient with that weapon. If you are unproficient you simply don't have the aim action available to you. You don't have the training with a weapon to be able to aim and use it properly.
Nov 12, 2015 6:31 pm
Does the same mechanic hold true for spells?
Nov 12, 2015 6:47 pm
No. Since your gun is more of a focus you probably already are getting your bonus included in your spell bonus. If you wanted to fire your focus like a standard gun, then you would follow all the normal rules for a ranged attack. Including using Dex instead of your magic score and using the guns damage stats.
Jan 12, 2016 4:09 pm
Do nano-machines exist in this world?

I am thinking that if Breecha gets another level, he's going to multi-class into paladin, with the oath of vengeance. Story-wise, it'd play as if Tymora's influence has embedded a bit of the City domain, and much of Breecha's tasks has been as an instrument in the destruction of "greater evils" in town through any means necessary.

I asked about nano-machines because I am thinking that the Lay on Hands and healing spells could be played not with magic, but with technology. Some of the upgrades Breecha would request include medical nano-machines that repairs wounds and removes disease.

I figure we could use a secondary healer, just so we're not mistaken for drug dealers or a roaming pharmacy with all the healing stims we carry around.
Jan 12, 2016 5:01 pm
I think that's awesome!
Jan 13, 2016 5:05 pm
That would be cool, and it would set you apart from Preserver who does use magic to heal.
Jan 13, 2016 5:16 pm
If I had more foresight, I'd have rolled up a paladin from the start. I think it would have been cool to have reached level 20 with the Oath of Vengeance and have Breecha sprout jet-packs for flight.
Jan 15, 2016 2:51 pm
The nano machines sounds like a good story idea that probably won't change much, so I would say it's fine to be cannon to this world.

Also sorry for the small stalling out everyone. My second kid (first son) was born this last Friday (8th). So this last week has been a bit rough. The next two should even out more and give me back posting time. Thanks for hanging in there. I should hopefully have a new post today sometime.
Jan 15, 2016 3:32 pm
Congratulations! Don't worry about us, we'll be fine!
Jan 15, 2016 3:49 pm
Yeah, congratulations! Take your time. Kids are a big adjustment. Don't feel pressured by us.
Jan 15, 2016 4:02 pm
Congratulations, man! :-)
Jan 15, 2016 7:35 pm
Congrats on the offspring! Take your time. We're not going anywhere (at least I'm not). Have fun with the new sprog and good luck getting some sleep in the near future!
May 6, 2016 12:13 am
picked up misty step and hold person as my 2nd level spells (2 new spells on gaining a level).
May 6, 2016 12:16 am
falryx says:
picked up misty step and hold person as my 2nd level spells (2 new spells on gaining a level).
Nice thing is I think misty step lets you move vertically too. I assume I'll expect a lot of "how tall are the buildings around here".
May 6, 2016 12:22 am
I imagine that when Mack misty steps he swirls his guns like a gunslinger and then teleports.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.