Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Jan 26, 2016 3:14 pm
Their body language is more "normal person" than "hired killer." You're pretty sure they're a woman, too.

"He called himself Jek," she says.
Jan 26, 2016 3:56 pm
Yeah, thanks for blowing my cover there, Felor.
Jan 26, 2016 4:00 pm
Zangua smiles in his sleep, though of course he does not hear the conversation in the hallway.
Jan 26, 2016 8:59 pm
In the interests of moving things along: Mordred, if you want to be sleeping lightly and poke your head out to see who's murmuring in the hallway outside your room, feel free.
Jan 26, 2016 10:29 pm
Hearing both his names mentioned in the hallway, Mordred slips a dagger into the back of his belt and steps into the hallway. "What is this? Who are you?"
Jan 26, 2016 11:06 pm
The shawled figure looks up as Mordred opens his door, and even in the near-darkness Mordred can see the outline of the thick plaque of scar tissue covering half her face.

She draws a sharp breath at the sight of Mordred's face, but exhales slowly as if steeling herself. She takes a step forward.

"I am Patlen Stone, daughter of Jeb Tuell. I will tell you everything. About my cousin. The crown. Everything."
Jan 27, 2016 1:16 am
"I'm sorry if my appearance frightens you, but I promise I will do you no harm. Come inside. Did anyone see you come up here?" Mordred leads her into the room and gestures to Felor to gather the sleeping party members from the other room.

"The Crown. Who are they and what do they want? They have attempted to kill my compatriots here because of a man we knew in Sthombo, but we don't know anything else about them."
Jan 27, 2016 1:23 am
Vad wakens as Patlen and MordJek enter the room and sits up to listen to the women's story.
Jan 27, 2016 4:02 am
Leth is pretty soundly asleep, but will quickly get up and join the others if woken...

I'm excited to start getting some answers!!!
Last edited January 27, 2016 4:02 am
Jan 27, 2016 6:25 am
Patlen follows Mordred and the others into their room. "No-one saw me come in," she assures you. "Let me start from the beginning. I will tell you all that I know. I have kept these secrets so long...they poison me from inside. I no longer care what he does to punish me, what he takes from me. I want to be free of him.

"Adan came to live with us when he was very small, after the wet fever took his parents. He was very intelligent. He knew letters and maths and all of that. The Vicar of Aitas in Bearshir took a notice of him and paid for him to enroll at the College of Scribes in Hazard. He did well there, for a time. But he fell in with people who studied and taught...unnatural things. Sorcery, like they teach in Banwod, but...darker. He neglected his studies and eventually he quit the College."

She looks down at the floor.

"My brother was the first to speak out against this. When he learned what Adan was doing he traveled all the way to Hazard to confront him. They had a terrible argument. Adan wouldn't listen. A month later, my brother was at work on the watchtower in Headlee, and the scaffolding collapsed. He fell to his death. And then...when Adan returned to Beerpool...my husband, he...he didn't want him to stay here...that he no longer trusted him, and...that night...our home..."

She starts to reach up to touch her face, but stops herself, curls her fingers into a fist. She shakes her head.

"Before he left again, he put that mark on my father's door. He said it was the sign of his masters, and that it represented a crown with six prongs, and that it was the crown of the one who would rule all of Bload one day, and after Bload, the very whole of the Werld. He told us he would conduct his business in my father's home at times, and we were to keep his secrets, and do whatever he asked of us, from now until the end of our days, and he showed us...evidence of his power. But I don't care anymore! I don't care what he does to me. I won't live in fear like my father." She looks up, her eyes cold and bright. "You oppose him, don't you? He didn't trust you. You're enemies of his? He said he knew you were deceiving him. I hope you find him. I hope you find him and I hope you kill him. He was never here, you know. What you saw in my father's house was an apparition. Still dangerous, but...only an image. The stronghold of his masters is somewhere to the north, I believe. The last time he passed through here in the flesh, it was about a year ago. He was headed north in the company of someone in a black pointed hood who he called his teacher, and a boisterous mercenary man."

Patlen is nearly breathless at the end of her speech, full of excitement and hope for vengeance. She looks at each of you in turn.
Jan 27, 2016 9:51 am
rocksteady says:
Yeah, thanks for blowing my cover there, Felor.
"Oh yes, uh, Jek," Felor mumbles as he rubs his eyes. It had been a long day.

After Patlen has finished her speech, Felor takes a deep breath. This was no backwoods witch-cult, then. Projecting your image over such a distance took power and training. Ruling Bload? The Werld? There was far more to this than he had bargained for.
And what of the Iron Sphere? What part did that play in their dark schemes?
She spoke of the north... not much up there - mountains, Dule - and it was the opposite direction to where they were heading. But perhaps when they reached Hazard they could ask the Scribes about Adan. If anyone knew something about the dark magics at play here, they would be the ones.

Felor looks Patlen in the eye. "My dear, you are correct that we oppose those of the Six-pointed Crown. They have wronged us all, and we seek justice. We hope to get to the bottom of these dark schemes and, by Fjorgyn's guidance, we shall end them."
Last edited January 27, 2016 10:05 am
Jan 27, 2016 1:09 pm
"He is seeking a woman, as you heard, and yes, I was attempting to deceive him. The truth is that we know little of her whereabouts. By helping her we hope to oppose Adan and thwart whatever his plans are. Did he say anything else about her once we were gone? Did he mention anything about an Iron Sphere?"

Despite discovering where Adan might be located, Mordred will still want to find Zora as his first priority, and barring any further info from Patlen, he still wants to charter a boat and head towards the bridge.
Jan 27, 2016 2:56 pm
Quote:
Despite discovering where Adan might be located, Mordred will still want to find Zora as his first priority, and barring any further info from Patlen, he still wants to charter a boat and head towards the bridge.
Same here.
Last edited January 27, 2016 2:57 pm
Jan 27, 2016 6:24 pm
Patlen smiles. "I know where the girl is! I've known for two days, and I didn't tell him. He never asked me, so I didn't have to tell him! A man came to our door in the late morning, saying he knew the whereabouts of the girl we were looking for, and had come for his reward. I had no idea what he meant. I only suspected it was my cousin's business. I was alone -- my father had gone to the mill. I told him to come back at dusk, and he said he couldn't wait that long, he had to get back on the road. He said to me, 'this girl, is she very dear to your family?' and I, I didn't know what to say, I said 'yes she is, sir,' and he said 'very well. You seem to have suffered enough in this life already. I was at Grine's Knot two nights ago, and I heard there a strange story. They said a girl had been there the day before, a youth of about seventeen, and that she had tried to hire a ranger at the tavern to guide her into the Badgerways. She was overheard, and for her own safety the men of the town tried to detain her, but she slipped loose of them and disappeared into the night. They were still debating whether it was worth the risk to send a search party after her when I left.' And then he put his hand on my shoulder and said 'I fear it may be too late for her, but now you know.' And I said 'thank you sir, you've done us a kindness,' and he departed. I didn't tell my father. I knew he would only tell Adan straight away. And when I heard how Adan mistrusted you, and when you came back to our house to ask after him, I felt certain that my best chance to strike back at my cousin would be to tell you all that I knew."

She scans your faces again, as if searching for confirmation that she has made the right decision. When she look upon Mordred again, she starts. "Oh, the sphere? I don't know anything about that. He said nothing of it after you left."
Jan 27, 2016 7:54 pm
Fuck yeah!

Mordred is moved almost to tears at this news of his friend, and he drops to one knee and clasps Patlen's hand. "My dear, you will never know what this information means to me, but I thank you from the depths of my heart." Mordred shoots a look at his companions and reaches into his pack for the gold that Adan gave to them. He pours his share of the loot into her hand. "Use this to take care of yourself, and keep it from your father if you can. Maybe you can use it to get away from here and begin your own life, if you wish."

Now WTF is Grine's Knot and the Badgerways?
Jan 27, 2016 8:05 pm
Patlen recoils from the gold Mordred hands her. "Oh! No, I don't want it! You'll throw that gold in the pond if you're wise, and burn the bag it came in."

Grine's Knot is a town about 30 miles down the road from here. All party members, give me some History checks to see if any of you know WTF the Badgerways are.
Jan 27, 2016 8:10 pm
Assuming someone came and woke us up, as Mordred suggested...

Also, now I REALLY think someone needs to use Detect/Dispel Magic on all the gold we were given.

Leth could hardly believe their luck. He had been afraid that this visit may have done more harm than good, and that Adan was misleading them into a trap - but the information being given to them was more than he could have ever hoped for. He listened intently, not yet commenting or questioning her, only giving pause when she mentioned The Badgerways.
Last edited January 27, 2016 8:10 pm

Rolls

History Check - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Jan 27, 2016 8:13 pm
Leth doesn't know what the Badgerways are.
Jan 27, 2016 8:20 pm
Apparently you can't leave the message blank.

And yeah, I knew that money was going to be cursed. I already burned the bag, you'll note. Let's hang on to it for the moment in case we need to buy anything before we leave Beerpool.
Last edited January 27, 2016 8:22 pm

Rolls

Bload A-Zed - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jan 27, 2016 8:30 pm
As Leth quickly tried to keep up with Patlen's story, he shelved a few thoughts to share with the others later.

So... We know for sure the Crown Cult has a strong presence in Hazard... It would be good to avoid it for now, if we can. And when we feel confident enough to confront them, that would be a good place to start looking.

He begins to feel uneasy about all of this, however, as he reflects on her descriptions of Adan and his cult. They certainly seem quite powerful... We will have to decide how much we want to get involved in this. He's a bit curious to know what had happened in the bit of story she skipped over, after her husband had told Adan they didn't trust him, but it seemed like a sensitive matter and he's not sure if it would be worth pressing.

She doesn't know anything about the sphere. That's unfortunate, as the Sphere seems to be the key to unravelling the whole mystery. If they can figure out what was so special about the Sphere, why the Crown Cult wants it, where it is, and what Zora and Edvers have to do with it, they will have a much better idea of how to proceed. And their best chance at finding out that information is talking to Zora... who, according to Patlen's story, may be in grave danger.

"The Badgerways..." Leth says, glancing at his companions. "That name is not familiar to me. What is it?" He asks, hoping either one of his companions or Patlen would know.
Last edited January 27, 2016 8:32 pm
load next

Thread locked