Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Jan 27, 2016 8:32 pm
Zangua (assuming someone did wake him and ask for his presence during this meeting), says nothing the entire time. His eyes flash with intensity upon mention of arcane magicks and he wards himself superstitiously.

"Toss the gold, fiend," spits Zangua, "lest he tracks us that way. For all we know it's worthless lead."

Rolls

History check on mentioned locales - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Jan 27, 2016 8:45 pm
"Forgive me, I thought stories of the Badgerways were commonly told," Patlen says. "They're the old caves and tunnels under the Elkfang Hills north of the Hazard Road, said to spread far and wide under the earth. We were always told they were very dangerous, because of the changelings and goblins who lived in them."

This more or less tracks with what Mordred has heard of them, although he suspects one is more likely to find bandits and smugglers rather than changelings and goblins. Still, there's a logic to it. If somebody wanted to pass through the densely populated areas around the river near Hazard undetected while under relentless pursuit, the Badgerways might be the best option.

N.B. you were all awakened and gathered to confer with Patlen.
Jan 27, 2016 9:02 pm
Some old-school dungeon-delving ahead of us! What are we looking at in terms of travel times/methods to get to the Badgerways? A boat down the Ophid still the best way? As long as we have enough scratch to charter the boat, I'm fine with tossing Adan's gold.
Jan 27, 2016 9:09 pm
You'd probably have to go about 50 miles down the river or road (so yes, a boat would still work fine for that leg of the journey), then maybe another 5-10 to the north into the hills to find an entrance to the Badgerways. Of which there are many, and not all of which would take you anywhere useful, which is probably why Zora was trying to hire a guide. Can I get an Insight roll from you, Mordred?
Jan 27, 2016 9:12 pm
"I see... Tell me, do you know of any other people involved with Adan? Perhaps some informants we should avoid, or be looking out for in case we are followed or spied upon?" Leth asks. He fears that if the Crown Cult can make apparitions of themselves appear in this way, information can be spread among them at an alarmingly fast rate. Anyone could be an informant. Anywhere they go could likely have a way-point for the cult to meet with its spies. It was almost certain to him that the Cult was now keenly aware of "Jek" and his companions, and may soon be offering rewards for information on wherever they went...
Jan 27, 2016 9:14 pm
If we hire a boat, Adan is almost certainly going to hear about it through the Beerpool grapevine. Is there an alternate destination we can give our pilot that doesn't sacrifice too much time, or expose us to too many prying eyes? Maybe we could buy a boat in Beerpool for 100GP and then sail downriver ourselves while getting rid of the tainted gold at the same time?
Last edited January 27, 2016 9:20 pm

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Jan 27, 2016 9:19 pm
Patlen shakes her head. "The only people I ever saw him with after he joined them were his 'teacher' in the pointed hood and the mercenary they brought along when they passed through here on their way north. He has only sent his apparition into our house on a few occasions before this, and the first times it happened, I hid in my room. Once he spoke to a trio of thieves in our house to hire them to rob a particular merchant wagon. Another time, he spoke to a woodsman who reported to him on the movements of a band of orcs that had come south from the Lesser Dulehans. That's all I can remember."
Jan 27, 2016 9:23 pm
"Oh, one last thing, Patlen. Does 'JT SL 33 S' mean anything to you?"

I saw that carved into the posts supporting the Inn earlier.
Jan 27, 2016 9:25 pm
"And do you have any leads on where we could find entrance to the Badgerways, or someone trustworthy we could ask who could show us?" Leth asks, tagging his question on to Mordreds.
Jan 27, 2016 9:36 pm
Wow, I accidentally hit "edit" instead of "quote" and it let me edit rocksteady's post. Sorry about that! Should be reverted now.
rocksteady says:
If we hire a boat, Adan is almost certainly going to hear about it through the Beerpool grapevine. Is there an alternate destination we can give our pilot that doesn't sacrifice too much time, or expose us to too many prying eyes? Maybe we could buy a boat in Beerpool for 100GP and then sail downriver ourselves while getting rid of the tainted gold at the same time?
Since you're still in the marshy headwaters that feed the Ophid, going by boat from here would be very slow going until you hit the river proper. Further, the only vessels you've seen here are little skiffs and rowboats made for pond fishing. As far as alternate destinations, there's any number of localities along the Ophid you could name, but none of them would really cover your tracks.

(Insight = success)
It occurs to Mordred that if Zora thought of traveling via the Badgerways, Adan probably did too.

A small, sad smile twists the unscarred side of Patlen's face. "Jeb Tuell, Sunny Larch, the thirty-third day of summer. My brother carved that into any sneaky place he could in the days after Sunny agreed to marry him. As for finding an entrance to the Badgerways, I'm sorry. I have not traveled far outside Beerpool, I know no adventurers, and I would be at a loss to tell you how best to get there."
Jan 27, 2016 9:56 pm
Can I (or maybe someone else in the party) estimate travel time on foot vs boat? I'm thinking we are already 2 days behind Zora, maybe it's better to just hoof it as fast as we can. Maybe even leave now.
Jan 27, 2016 10:06 pm
You're about 15 miles or half a day's travel (five hours walking) from the river proper and a place where you could easily hire and launch a boat. You can cover 30 miles a day on foot as long as you stay on flat ground near the road/river. A good boat will go downriver at at least five miles per hour.

Patlen's story gives you a timeline: the day before Edvers was executed, Zora was in Grine's Knot, trying to hire a ranger. The next night, she was camped by the Ophid per the Oak's Wife, and hadn't yet made it to the Badgerways. Four days have passed since then.
Jan 27, 2016 10:37 pm
How far is it to Grine's Knot? Maybe we should hire a ranger.
Jan 27, 2016 10:40 pm
Grine's Knot is about 30 miles down the road.
Jan 28, 2016 12:14 am
Posted a map in the About Bload thread.
Jan 28, 2016 12:42 am
Based on the map, it looks like we have a choice between:
1) Go to Grine's Knot (1 day walking) to investigate/find a ranger guide for the Badgerways?
2) Head to river (1/2 day walk) and get a boat downstream, heading towards Badgerways.

2 lets us catch up with Zora a lot faster - we could be in the rough area of the Badgerways ~2 days (covering 50-odd miles by boat in a day).
We're quite a few days behind Zora at the moment.
I imagine word would get to Adan of our heading wherever we went.
Last edited January 28, 2016 12:42 am
Jan 28, 2016 2:06 am
Thanks for the map!

I vote for option 1. We might get more info about Zora and I feel like we are going to need a guide to find our way through the Badgerways.
Jan 28, 2016 2:22 am
Vad's interest lies in finding Zora. Whichever option he thinks will lead him to her the quickest is the one he'd choose.
Jan 28, 2016 11:59 am
Felor would go with whichever option helps catch up with Zora fastest.
I think we've got a pretty good view of her route/heading now but are still a few (4?) days behind her so need to gain ground. We might be less in need of a guide given we're a band of seasoned adventurers rather than a young woman travelling alone. If we meet people along the way we can always ask for advice about the Badgerways.
Last edited January 28, 2016 11:59 am
Jan 28, 2016 1:23 pm
Octo, does Mordred's knowledge of the Badgerways include some sense of how essential a guide would be? I'm OK with Option 2, but I worry that if we end up in a different tunnel/cavern complex than Zora is in, we could be wasting our time for several days.
load next

Thread locked