Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Feb 3, 2016 1:00 am
You know, I was wondering about that...

"...Or perhaps just forego the wagon all together." He also suggests. "The fewer people that interact with us, the less of a chance we have of being remembered when people come asking about us."

Also I'll say Leth had the pricier breakfast, assuming we kept the gold we got from Adan... did we keep the gold? And how did we split it up? Or did we split it up?
Last edited February 3, 2016 1:02 am
Feb 3, 2016 1:15 am
"Well, we're certainly not having any luck finding transport so far. May as well start walking...."
Feb 3, 2016 1:56 am
Shamush falls back as the others enter the village. He spits in his hand and draws it through the dark lock of greasy hair and then whips it back, so it stands erect, like a cock's comb. He saunters over to ladies doing their laundry in the river. He walks with a loose-limbed swagger, shoulders slung back, thumbs tucked into this belt. He grins and says, "You must be the Revered Beauties of Headlee I heard so much about in the general surroundins."
Feb 3, 2016 11:20 am
We still have the gold from Adan. I thought we could keep it in "Party Treasure" for now, in case we have people drop out or join, but we can share it out now if you need some spending money.
Feb 3, 2016 11:37 am
Happy to keep the 100GP as party funds (for transport or hiring the guide or whatever) unless Mordred wants to roleplay keeping it to himself! ;)

In the octagonal building, Felor kneels near (but pointedly not "at") the shrine dedicated to Calu. Laying his spear on the ground, he closes his eyes and intones:
"Hail, Fjorgyn!
My faith is as firm as the earth,
Your power as unbreakable as the mountains,
Lend me the strength to strike down evil in your name.
May I be as fierce as your lightning, as swift as your storms.
Lend me your wisdom to seek out the truth.
May I be as unyielding as the hills themselves.
I beseech you, help us find justice for the good man Kells,
And grant his daughter your protection."

With that, Felor makes traces the rune of Fjorgyn in the air with his hand, and stands. Turning to face Calu's shrine, he bows his head and says "May our aim be true, and may we swiftly find our quarry". Approaching the priest again, he says "Thank you, brother" and drops a silver pieces in the collection box, before leaving the building to rejoin the others.
Last edited February 3, 2016 12:48 pm
Feb 3, 2016 5:17 pm
One woman pales and stares intently at her wash, the second rolls her eyes, and the third looks back and says: "Indeed we are! And where do you hail from, highwayman?"

"Don't encourage him," the eye-roller mutters.

~meanwhile~

The priest looks up skeptically as Felor drops his coins in the box. "I've never heard of Fjorgyn," he says.
Feb 3, 2016 5:28 pm
Zangua pays for his own breakfast of bread pudding and milk. He is just thankful for a chance to sit, and meditates on the day ahead.
Feb 3, 2016 5:46 pm
While you are of course free to linger in Headlee as long as you like, those of you who expressed an interest in catching up with Zora as soon as possible will be noticing that the sun is climbing higher in the sky and you'll need to get back on the road soon if you want to reach Grine's Knot at a reasonable hour.
Feb 3, 2016 6:41 pm
Resisting the urge to evangelise about Fjorgyn to the priest, Felor rejoins the others to start the trip the Grine's Knot.
Feb 3, 2016 8:42 pm
With a sigh Shamush tosses aside the prepared onslaught of witty, urbane anecdotes when he looks to the side and sees his comrades getting ready to leave. "Sorry ladies, the song of the open road is calling to me and I need to get moving. Just remember me as the handsome stranger from Darcra who almost got to be charming!" He grins, winks and ambles over to the assembled party.
Feb 3, 2016 8:57 pm
The party gets back on the road and heads down toward Grine's Knot.

It's a bright, breezy day, the rains gone for the time being. Traffic on the road is light, but steady: mostly small-time traders and suppliers moving goods from village to village.

By the time you reach Grine's Knot you've been walking in darkness for a few hours; a patrolman from the town graciously slows his horse to allow your party and a carpetmaker from Bearshir to walk the rest of the way by the light of his torch.

Built just south of the road, on and around four low, lumpy hills dotted with huge leafless oak trees, Grine's Knot boasts a proper square with several shops and taverns, a large inn, and a cross-shaped holy house. A small stone temple stands upon one of the hills. Aside from a torch-carrying patrolman or three there's nobody out on the town at this hour, but there are lights and noise coming from the taverns.
Feb 3, 2016 9:09 pm
Can I tell what kinds of shops they are, and which gods the temple and holy house are dedicated to?
Feb 3, 2016 9:17 pm
There's a tailor, a butcher shop, a general store, a blacksmith, and a feed store. It's likely you'd find more vendors working out of carts and tables in the square during the daytime. There are two taverns: the Coiled Rope, on the ground floor of the inn, from which most of the noise (talking, laughter, music) seems to be coming from, and a quieter, darker place called the Toad and Skull on the other side of the square. The holy house likely contains a multitude of shrines, like the one in Headlee.

As for the temple, give me a Religion and a Perception check.
Feb 3, 2016 9:19 pm
Felor squints at the temple in the gloom of early evening.

Rolls

Perception skill check - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Religion skill check - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Feb 3, 2016 9:23 pm
Squinting, Felor can just barely make out the forked bolt of Ziu-Pater crowning the roof of the temple.
Feb 3, 2016 9:57 pm
Let's try the Toad and Skull first.

Mordred motions for one or two of his companions [whoever wants to come] to accompany him into the smaller tavern. "The rest wait outside for now. We don't want to look like an invading force. You'll hear me shout if we run into trouble." Inside the tavern, Mordred immediately looks over the room for anyone who might appear to be a ranger, hunter or other adventurer, especially someone Zora might have approached when she was here.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Insight (?) - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Feb 3, 2016 9:58 pm
Ziu-Pater

Whoa. Zeus Pater = Jupiter. I just got that.
Feb 3, 2016 10:09 pm
The Toad and Skull is dark, smoky, low-ceilinged, and not very crowded. Three cloaked figures share a table, smoking pipeflower and playing a slow card game by lamplight. Two gray old men sit at the bar, several stools apart, drinking from tall cups. At another table, a sallow man with a long black beard sits beside a young woman in men's traveling clothes, talking quietly to her while she stares off into the middle distance, nodding occasionally. Mordred does a double take when his gaze falls upon her, but it's not Zora.

The barkeeper, a thick-necked young man with a shaved head, eyes Mordred & co. as they enter, while absent-mindedly drying out a leather mug with a dirty rag.
Feb 3, 2016 10:23 pm
"Some ale for my friends and I please, barkeep. I also hope you might help us find someone who has gone missing, and recently passed through Grine's Knot. A young woman, said to be headed to the Badgerways. Do you know whom she might have spoken to in town about hiring a guide?"
load next

Thread locked