Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Feb 3, 2016 10:42 pm
Vad will take a seat at the bar while nonchalantly keeping an eye on the three hooded figures. "Wonder what they're playing?" he ponders as he retrieves his own deck of cards. Holding them at his side he starts shuffling and flipping them around in his right hand.
OOC:
Burning off some energy while waiting for the barkeep to answer Mordred's question.
Feb 3, 2016 10:42 pm
The barkeeper sets down his mug. "Why's this your business, devilkin?"
Feb 3, 2016 10:50 pm
"I owe her my life, and I don't want to see her lose hers. My friends owe debts to her father, now passed, and wish to see her safe as well."

Mordred keeps an eye on the other tavern goers as he talks, to make sure no one is taking undue interest in him.
Feb 3, 2016 11:09 pm
The oldsters and the sallow man watch Mordred with some curiosity. The card players don't seem the least bit interested. The barkeeper pours ale into the mug he was drying, then pulls out another for Vad, before answering. "She was looking to hire Kligson, and Kligson went looking for her after she ran off. Haven't seen him back here yet."
Feb 3, 2016 11:29 pm
Zangua waits outside, eyeing the jovial tavern across the way.
Feb 3, 2016 11:40 pm
Vad gives a friendly nod to the barkeep as he shoves his cards in his pocket and lifts his ale. "Ran off, ya say?" he pauses and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand after a healthy swig of ale. "She look like she was in some sort of trouble?"
Feb 4, 2016 12:05 am
The old man seated to Vad's left lets out a wheezy cackle. "I should say so! Kligson thought the girl was touched in the head, y'see. Talking madness about witches following her. He told her he'd take her through the Badgerways to Hazard but he knew that'd be the end of them both. While she packed her things he rounded up Harmon Koal and his son, and Vicar Jon, and I forget who else, and when she came back they pressed her to go on to the Koal house to sit tight and have some sense talked into her, but when they were just at the house she slipped under Harmon's arm and kicked him in the generatives and took off running! Ha! I seen it all from my porch, then Vicar Jon explained what it was all about, because sure as shit I couldn't tell what was going on. Madness! If she made it to the Badgerways she's most like to be warming a goblin's belly right now, fellow." He lifts his cup. "I'll drink to her memory for you." He flashes Vad a gap-toothed grin, then chugs at whatever's in his cup.
Feb 4, 2016 2:33 am
"So the Koals and Vicar Jon would know where they were headed? The general route at least? Are they like to be awake at this hour? Perhaps we can catch up to my friend if we hurry."
Feb 4, 2016 2:43 am
"Eh? She'd be headed west, other side of the river, if she was going on to the Badgerways. That's where Kligson reckoned to look for her, anyways."

"The Koals are like to be at the Coiled Rope with the rest of the upstanding folk," the old man to Vad's right interjects. "Maybe the vicar too." He raps the bottom of his cup on the bar. "I think we've told you fellows well more than obligations required. How about you buy us a round?"
Feb 4, 2016 3:18 am
"Indeed. Drink up friends, and if anyone should ask about a party matching our description, perhaps a few rounds will be enough to make you forget we were ever here." He slides a gold piece to the barman before gathering Vad and heading out the door at speed.
Feb 4, 2016 4:19 pm
Should I assume you're headed to the Coiled Rope?
Feb 4, 2016 4:32 pm
Yeah, unless anyone else has other ideas.
Feb 4, 2016 5:50 pm
Zangua detaches from the wall he just leaned himself upon, taking a moment to determine whether or not the party is leaving in hot pursuit, or being pursued.
Feb 4, 2016 5:56 pm
Avanti!

Mordred crosses the square and steps inside the Coiled Rope. This tavern is larger, and brighter, with a crowd of about forty people eating and drinking and talking. Three barmaids circulate around the room, clearing messes, topping off drinks, stopping to chat. To the right, a flute and lyre combo stand by the wall, playing cheerful music.

Only a few people bother to look up as Mordred enters, but those who do hold their gaze.
Feb 4, 2016 5:59 pm
Zangua nudges Shamush and proceeds to the Coiled Rope. He could use a drink after all this.
Feb 4, 2016 6:14 pm
I probably should have said so at the time, but maybe we can retcon that I explained what we learned in the first tavern while we walked across the square to the Coiled Rope, just so we are all up to speed.

As a barmaid passes by, Mordred gestures her closer and speaks quietly. "Greetings and well met. My friends and I are late arriving to town, and we are to meet with either Harman Koal or the good Vicar Jon. Is there a chance either of these gentlemen are in the establishment tonight?" He tosses 5 silver pieces onto her tray. "Ale for each of my friends, and keep the change."
Feb 4, 2016 6:25 pm
Sure thing.

The barmaid blanches slightly as she takes in Mordred's appearance, and seems a bit conflicted about giving Koal away, but the glance she throws at a large table in the middle of the tavern more or less tells you what you need to know before she acquiesces to say, "That's Harmon Koal, in the middle there. Haven't seen the vicar tonight."

The man she indicates is a large fellow, blond and ruddy-faced, with receding hair and a neatly-trimmed beard. He holds court at a table of five other men and two women, gesturing with a turkey bone, a tall ceramic mug of ale at his left hand.
Feb 4, 2016 10:34 pm
(I don't know if it's just a slow day or if people are waiting for Mordred, but since you're all up to date on the latest info, any player should feel free to jump in and negotiate with Harmon if they want to)
Feb 5, 2016 2:55 am
Interlacing his fingers and giving his knuckles a good cracking Vad slowly approaches Koal's table. "Good evening to you all." he says with a large smile on his face. "My friends and I are looking for an acquaintance of ours that passed through these parts not long ago. Do any of you know of a Mr. Harman Koal?"
OOC:
Someone else should wander over with Vad and pick up on this as well (as I'll be away until tomorrow evening). He's trying to see if Koal will introduce himself or try to remain anonymous.
Feb 5, 2016 3:45 am
The big man puts his turkey bone down and rests his elbows on the table. "I'm Harmon Koal," he says.
load next

Thread locked