Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Feb 20, 2016 3:45 am
She doesn't exactly return the hug, but she doesn't cringe away from it, either.

"I don't know where they went. I shouldn't have hid. I was stupid."
Feb 20, 2016 10:21 am
Felor will find a shovel, fill in the burn pit, and say another blessing over the grave.
OOC:
Bad blood: those who were killed came back as undead or something? Certainly sounds like they were killed with magic of some kind.
Metal man: guy in plate armour? That mercenary chap that Adan was with?
Was the girl adding oil to the lamp? It was the one for ancestors so would make sense I guess.
Feb 21, 2016 4:13 pm
The day grows long. At this point, the party should make some decisions about what to do with the girl and whether to question her further.
Feb 21, 2016 4:57 pm
"What's your name, dear? I can call you Abi, like the girl in the puppet show, if you don't want to tell us. Anyway, Abi, do you know if there is another farm nearby? Maybe you have gone to play with friends, or for a holiday feast? We will take you there, to get milk, but we have to go soon. Is that OK?"
Feb 21, 2016 5:07 pm
"I'm Aylie," she says. After a pause, she adds, "There's a goat farm. I went to a goat farm before."
Feb 21, 2016 10:12 pm
"I love goats!" Mordred says, pointing to his horns. "Can you show us the way to the goat farm, Aylie? Even if you just know which direction to go out of your ranch, we can take it from there. Gather up some clothes and anything else you want to bring, and we will go now, so we can get there before dinner."
OOC:
Mordred would probably be OK leaving her here with a week's worth of food and water, but he suspects that some of you will want to see her taken better care of than that, so dropping her off nearby sounds ideal. Assuming this is OK with everyone else, once we are underway, Mordred will try to ask some leading questions to get a timeline of just what happened here, and what the "metal man" the "circle stick" and the "bad blood" are.
Feb 21, 2016 10:23 pm
Aylie shifts her position, suggesting for the first time that she might be willing to move out of her corner. "What if the metal man comes back? He'll try to hit us with the circle stick. And we'll die."
Feb 21, 2016 10:23 pm
OOC:
Yeah, I think it's a good idea to get moving. We could ask her more questions as we go, if need be... And Leth would absolutely want to make sure she gets away from this vilage (especially with the possibility that the "metal man" is going to return) and is left in the company of another adult who could help her.
ETA: "That's why we want to help you leave - so the metal man can't find you. We want to get you someplace safe." Leth chimes in.
Last edited February 21, 2016 11:07 pm
Feb 22, 2016 12:11 am
OOC:
Vad is good with the idea of moving out as soon as possible, assuming it isn't dark already. Think a little girl who is already scared may not want to be traveling at night.
Feb 22, 2016 12:42 am
Is the circle stick a mace, do you think, or some kind of magic staff?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MwXGl5ERzTQ/TwdkVxS9FyI/AAAAAAAAFuM/7a2a01kW7o4/s1600/raiders+of+the+lost+ark+staff+of+ra.jpg
Last edited February 22, 2016 12:47 am
Feb 22, 2016 12:54 am
It's still afternoon.

"Okay." Aylie says, sounding rather uncertain. She slides off the bed. "I don't want him to find me."

With a little direction and coaxing, she puts on a shawl and a pair of small, worn boots from a clothes pile on the other side of the room.

You've got her to the stairs when she stops and says, "Wait! If I leave, nobody's gonna keep the lamp lit for Mama and Daddy. They're ancestors now. They need a lamp always lit." She looks back toward the hallway, anguished.
Feb 22, 2016 2:52 am
Zangua detaches himself from the wall when it appears that the party is ready to move. At the girl's words, he thinks for a moment, before saying, "The lamp is in your heart, and in your head." As emphasis, he jabs a thumb into his chest, then points to his temple. "You keep those lit by remembering your ancestors.

"Get the idols. Carry them with you just as you carry the lamp within."
Feb 22, 2016 3:37 am
Zangua's expression is impassive, even as his words attempt to convey his meaning of Pack it up, we're moving.

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Feb 22, 2016 4:27 am
Aylie does as Zangua says.

Aylie is cooperating with the party now. You can try to ask her for more info and/or try to find the goat farm.
Feb 22, 2016 11:40 am
Felor kneels down next to the girl after the party has left the house.
"Aylie, do you remember which way you would walk to the goat farm?" he asks.
Feb 22, 2016 1:20 pm
Once they begin to walk, Mordred tries to tease out some more details of the story. He tries to get her to tell the story chronologically, by asking her about what happened first, and then what happened after that, and then after that, and so on. He's also trying to find out exactly what the "metal man" is. Does he move/act/talk like a normal man? Does she know what a man in plate armor looks like as a contrast?

Rolls

Investigation? - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Feb 22, 2016 4:58 pm
There are two trails leading out of Five Stones, one going south and another going southeast. Aylie is pretty sure they took one of those to the goat farm, but she's not sure which.

The following is a condensed version of Aylie's best recollection of events, as they occurred, edited for clarity and presented in chronological order as best you can tell:

"Daddy was at the barn and we heard him holler and scream and everybody came running. Daddy was lying on the ground and he wasn't moving and the metal man was standing over him. The metal man was very tall and very thin and he had red eyes, a lot of red eyes, and he had a long stick with a circle on it. Mama tried to hit the metal man with a shovel but the metal man hit her with the circle stick and she fell down and died. Dommo told everybody to stay back. The metal man talked. He said there was a girl in the barn, where was the girl. Everybody said they didn't know about the girl in the barn. The metal man hit Nestro and Nestro died and he said tell me where the girl is. And we all said we don't know there wasn't a girl in the barn please don't kill us. Then the metal man hit Big Jon and Big Jon died and he asked us again and Dommo said wait, wait, I think I know where this girl would have went, I'll take you there. And the metal man said to ride a horse and Dommo got on one of the horses and he rode off and the metal man followed him and the metal man could run as fast as a horse.

"When Dommo and the metal man left, Trent started crying and said he'd lied, he saw the girl yesterday, and he didn't want to tell anyone cause he didn't want to get her in trouble, and when the metal man came and asked about her he got too scared to say anything, and Nonna got really upset and really mad and said the metal man was going to find out he was lying and come back and kill all of us and we all had to leave Five Stones. And then they started seeing that Daddy's blood was wrong and Mama's and Nestor's and Big Jon's too and Nonna got scared of that too and said they had to burn them. And I didn't want to see them burn so I ran away and hid in the place under the little house where the lamb got stuck.

"Then it got to be night and I was too scared to come out still and when it was morning I wanted to get out but everybody was gone. I went in the big house as fast as I could before the metal man could come back and kill me."

You can surmise from the context and the way Aylie talks about them that Dommo and Nonna were the owners of the farm, and that her parents worked for them.
Feb 22, 2016 5:37 pm
The metal man was very tall and very thin and he had red eyes, a lot of red eyes, and he had a long stick with a circle on it.

Yikes.

Can we tell from her story exactly when all this happened, so we can add it to our timeline? I understand that we might not be able to pin it down, given that we are working from the memories of a scared 5-year-old. Octo, you said earlier that we could guess that there might be another farm/settlement to the south, so assuming you meant that literally and not just "generally south of here" I say we take the south trail. If we don't find something in an hour or so we can double back and try the other way. King's Cradle is only a few miles from here, correct? Since we still haven't rested, I guess we should just power through and try to sleep once we get to the Cradle.
Feb 22, 2016 5:48 pm
Before the party leaves, Zangua releases the sheep and cattle from their pens and give them access to the pasture. No sense in letting them starve in the barn.

He lets the others converse with the girl and simply listens to her answers.
load next

Thread locked