Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Feb 22, 2016 5:48 pm
Felor listens to the girl's story and feels a chill. What a horrific scene to witness. The image of a tall, thin metal man with many red eyes stuck with him... was it some sort of magical construct?

Arcana check?

Rolls

Arcana check - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Feb 22, 2016 6:11 pm
You gather this all happened several days ago, for whatever value of "several" makes sense to a kid Aylie's age.

Both trails head southward, so it's anybody's guess. But the fact that there's trails means you'll probably find a settlement down either of them, eventually.
Feb 22, 2016 6:13 pm
notinventedhere says:
Felor listens to the girl's story and feels a chill. What a horrific scene to witness. The image of a tall, thin metal man with many red eyes stuck with him... was it some sort of magical construct?

Arcana check?
Rolls
Arcana check - (1d20+1)

( 4 ) + 1 = 5
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 22, 2016 6:28 pm
Both trails head southward, so it's anybody's guess. But the fact that there's trails means you'll probably find a settlement down either of them, eventually.

Let's take whichever one heads closer to King's Cradle then, unless anyone else has thoughts/ideas.
Feb 22, 2016 6:59 pm
The south trail should keep you closer to King's Cradle than the southeast trail.
Feb 22, 2016 10:08 pm
Could I do some tracking skillery to try and see which path looks the most used?

Rolls

Tracking (Survival) - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Feb 22, 2016 10:16 pm
Looks like both trails get the same amount of use, but if you go down one of them a ways you might be able to do some horse poop analysis.
Feb 22, 2016 10:20 pm
OOC:
south trail gets my vote, then.
Feb 22, 2016 11:30 pm
A little ways down the south trail Leth spots horse droppings that look to have been there about five days, a good sign. After about two hours of walking -- going at Aylie's pace slows you -- you can see a habitation in the distance. She thinks it's the goat farm, but she doesn't sound completely certain.

Any other questions for Aylie before you continue on?
Feb 22, 2016 11:55 pm
"Looks like this may be the place. Perhaps a couple of us should scout ahead just to be sure...
Feb 23, 2016 12:52 am
"Here, you can ride on my shoulders, Aylie. Use the horns to steer. Did Trent say anything else about the girl in the barn?"
Feb 23, 2016 12:55 am
Aylie doesn't remember Trent saying anything else about her.
Feb 23, 2016 9:01 pm
Players, can I have a Perception roll?
Feb 23, 2016 9:08 pm
Zangua pads along, mindful of the surroundings and not paying any attention to the girl, leaving that to the talkative members of the group.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Feb 23, 2016 9:10 pm
Zangua is the first to spot goats in the distance. It looks like you've found the place.
Feb 23, 2016 9:19 pm
Ol' Mord will hang back while the humans drop Aylie off at daycare.

Rolls

Perception, if you still need one - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Feb 23, 2016 9:26 pm
The party, minus Mordred, proceeds toward the goat farm. One of the goatherds evidently sees the party coming, goes inside the house, and comes back out with three other people, who stand and watch your approach. One of them picks up a pitchfork; you can't clearly see if the others are armed.

"This is it. This is the goat farm," Aylie confidently assures you.

The goatherds talk among themselves as you get closer, then one of them takes a few steps forward and starts approaching to meet you halfway. When you're almost to shouting distance, he breaks into a jog and yells, "Aylie? Aylie?"

"That's Saad!" Aylie says. "I know him!"

Saad breaks into a full speed run to close the distance, but skids to a stop at about twenty yards. He looks incredulously from Aylie to the men accompanying her.

"Hi Saad!" Aylie says.

"Aylie! Where did you find her?" Saad asks you. "Did you come from Five Stones?"
Feb 23, 2016 9:33 pm
"We passed by Five Stones on our travels. Something seemed amiss so we had a look, and found this young one. Something... bad had happened to her parents, and the farm owners have disappeared. Are you able to look after the lass?"
Feb 23, 2016 9:40 pm
Saad gives Felor a look. "I was there. I know what happened." He gets down on his knees. "We looked for you, Aylie. Where were you hiding?"

"Under the little house," she says. "Where the lamb got stuck."

Saad shakes his head. "I didn't even know of such a place. What were you thinking, girl? Nonna would have taken you with her!"

"I'm sorry," Aylie says.

Saad stands up. "I don't know where the others are. Nonna and her family...they went on horse, maybe to Hazard. Who can say. We workers, we scattered. I thought it best to watch over my friends here and warn them of this...thing...that came to Five Stones." He closes his eyes and shudders as if trying to dislodge an unwelcome memory. He looks back at the farm and the people standing outside the house. "These are good people. They will look after Aylie."
load next

Thread locked