Chapter 1, Day 3: Skull Gorge Bridge

load previous
Jan 28, 2016 9:25 pm
"Keep at him everyone!" Zaris shouts, sensing that the dragon's time may soon be up. He hated killing another creature but knew there was nothing more to do given it was out to kill them. No shame in self defense.
Jan 28, 2016 9:42 pm
"Geez Zaris, What do you think I'm trying to do?!"
Last edited January 28, 2016 9:43 pm
Jan 29, 2016 3:48 am
I roar my righteous fury at the vile beast as I take another swing at it
OOC:
Using Channel Divinity: Vow of Enmity. Advantage against the dragon for 1 minute.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Attack (Advantage) - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Damage - (1d8+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Frost damage - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Jan 29, 2016 4:17 pm
Xara stabs at the beast, but is unable to find a fleshy target between the thick scales and tough hide.

Kaiaks' blade sinks into the beasts hide. Scales chip under the magic of the frost and flake away.
OOC:
Rurik, Ceadron Corban if my records are right
Jan 29, 2016 9:22 pm
"I know you are Xara! I thought this was the sort of thing one says in these situations." Zaris blushes, feeling a bit embarrassed about himself.
Jan 29, 2016 9:37 pm
"Damn ye wyrm, just die!" I wearily exclaim sending another blast of eldritch energy at the beast

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Damage - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Critical damage - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Feb 2, 2016 3:05 pm
The eldrtich blast strieks the dragon in the open maw, staggering it for a moment. Corban strides forward, bravely engaging the dragon, and thrusts his blade at its head. His blade sinks into the dragons skull through its eye. The blade is stuck, and the dragon swats out at him, knocking Corban back. He rolls, and stops just shy of rolling into the gorge. Then, the dragon slumps forward - dead.
OOC:
Combat over. Phew

Rolls

Longsword - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Damage - (1d8+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Feb 2, 2016 3:12 pm
I head over to the dragon's body and stand over it before addressing the others. "You think we should take some trophies back with us? They'll sing songs about us for sure!"
Feb 2, 2016 3:27 pm
I sink down to the ground wearily, almost all of my energies spent from the battle. "I think I need a rest, it feels like we've been fighting this battle for months."
Feb 2, 2016 3:31 pm
"Really! I'm feeling invigorated! So uh... why were we out here again? I mean I know dragon-killing is fairly typical in my line of work but for some reason I thought we were brought here for some purpose. Oh well, I'm sure it wasn't important."
Feb 2, 2016 4:33 pm
Pawetha appraises the dragon's body. Perhaps something useful might be harvested from the corpse.

"We came here for the bridge," she says. "It was perhaps the only crossing for miles for the Red Hand. If we can destroy it, we'd delay their war efforts considerably.

"But before that, let's see if there's anything else in this camp. Xara, that tower the dragon perched upon might have its hoard."

Rolls

Nature (to see if I can harvest scales, teeth, and other useful things from the dragon) - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Feb 2, 2016 5:05 pm
"Is everything else dead? I wouldn't want any surprises. Some of us can't handle it." I gesture towards Rurik, who has seen better days. Then I do a quick walk-through searching for anything of interest.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Investigation? - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Feb 2, 2016 5:08 pm
OOC:
I know the giant went off to the other side of the bridge to smack the camp around. Unsure if he found anything worth smacking.
Feb 2, 2016 8:42 pm
Those who head to the other side of the bridge find Warklegnaw has toss the fabric of the tents aside and scattered about the area the tattered bedrolls, and meagre supplies that had been stored within each. Nothing of interest, and no surviving hobgoblins, are in this area. The towers are all identical and uninteresting. A barrel of arrows is at the top of each, and a wooden stool but otherwise nothing of note. On one of the bodies, probably a messenger as he wore lighter armour than the rest, Xara finds a note written in goblin. Translated it reads Find that bugbear sorcerer Koth and get his report! He's late!. The note is signed with the symbol of the red hand hoard.

Pawetha realizes that, even getting a few scales off a dragon's corpse will take significant effort. If the group rested here for a while, then she would definitely be able to get some useful materials, but in a hurry she'd be luckier to find a scale on the ground loosened and shed during the battle.
Feb 3, 2016 12:57 am
Zaris crumbles to the ground upon seeing the dragon breathe its last breaths. Sitting on his knees, he puts his face into his hands and bows his head down towards the creature. "If only conflict didn't need to end this way," he mutters looking up and staring at the dragon. His gaze moves over to Rurik and, if realizing the severity of the situation, he jumps up and rushes to Rurik. "How are you?"
Last edited February 3, 2016 1:00 am
Feb 3, 2016 12:52 pm
I mouth a silent prayer to Tyr, in thanks of victory. After healing myself some, I look around to my companions to see if anyone is in need of healing.
OOC:
Use Lay on Hands on self.
Feb 3, 2016 3:18 pm
As the group recuperates, Jorr carries on the work they came to do - inspecting the towers and the bridge for weak points. Finally, he shouts, "The towers anchor the bridge. If we destroyed on tower, the whole thing might collapse into the gorge. Destroy two towers and it will certainly fall. Of course, now we need to figure out how to do damage to these solid cylinders of stone and mortar."
Feb 3, 2016 5:16 pm
Pawetha rests a hand on the dragon's head. "Can the big guy give a few whacks at the base of a tower, much like chopping down a tree?" If she just had a bit of time, she'd love to bring some of this dragon home.
Feb 5, 2016 5:10 am
"Forget the tower! This thing should be our priority now. Do you think the wings could be mounted on something? Or maybe the head?" I attempt to lift some part of the dragon to determine what, if any part, could easily be transported back with us. Surely it's not as heavy as it looks...
Feb 5, 2016 4:05 pm
Xara attempts to lift the dragon's wing and quickly realizes her assessment is very wrong. Even dead, or perhaps especially dead, the dragon weighs a lot. Pawetha quietly informs her that, if they want to take any trophies, samples or parts back with them then they will need time to carve and butcher the corpse. Depending on what they want, it could take hours. But, it can definitely be done.

Warklegnaw lumbers over as Jorr and Pawetha discuss dismantling the bridge. The giant nods affirmatively at Paws' suggestion, "I can smash the towers. Bring em' down like me and my kin did the human fort."
OOC:
If you want to butcher the dragon, for any purposes, here's what I propose in terms of timing: it will take at least an hour to carefully remove any amount of useable parts. There's enough here that you could, given time and an appropriate expert, do some useful things with it. Fangs and claws can be fashioned into weapons - makeshift ones rapidly (a dragon claw, a bit of wood and some twine makes a shiv) - and good quality ones with an experts help (daggers swords and the like). Scales bones and hide could become armour as well. It's a young dragon, so there's enough here, I'd say, for 1 suit of armour and 2 small weapons (or 1 large one, such as a great axe or great sword). You could also get 1 'trophy' out of it (a necklace or something) and maybe some misc supplies for making 'green dragon' themed alchemical stuffs. To salvage enough to make the armour, you'll need 2 hours. 1 hour for each weapon, and 1 hour for the 'trophy' and 1 hour for the 'alchemical supplies'. In total, 6 hours will let you get everything useful out of it. Less than 6 hours, you decide how those hours are spent.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.