Chapter 1, Day 3: Skull Gorge Bridge

load previous
Dec 10, 2015 2:10 am
I see the burning acid rain down on me and instinctively close my eyes...

The pain is not as agonizing as I thought. There's still life left in me! Huzzah! And with that victory, I run towards the nearest tower and attempt to hide behind it.

Bonus action: Hide
Last edited December 10, 2015 2:38 am

Rolls

Con Save - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Dec 10, 2015 8:45 am
Kaiakas strides forward, and joins in Pawetha's defence. He swings his blade and hits nothing but air, but in a follow up strike cuts across the captain's chest. The hobgoblin captain lets out another howl of rage and directs his attack towards the paladin.

The giant picks up a large rock and strides forward, standing between the two towers. He hurls the boulder and it slams into one of the two hobgoblins on the bridge, leaving a red smear in his place.

Meanwhile, Xara ducks in behind the nearest tower and is quickly forgotten about.

Kai missed, I assumed your second action was just another attack and that one hit for 11 damage.

Sorry Xara, you had an action too! :S
Dec 10, 2015 10:45 am
The captain swings twice at Kaiakas, the first attack is deflected by the paladin's own blade, but the second finds an opening in his defences (Kaiakas takes 8 damage, and the Captain grants Advantage on attack rolls against him).

The last hobgoblin on the bridge steps up to make the battle two on two, and stabs at the paladin - following the lead of his captain (Kaiakas is hit for 4 damage). The archers, no longer having Corban and Zaris to shoot at, turn their arrows to the largeset threat on the field - the giant. The three arrows plunge into Warklegnaws body, but he seems not to even notice them.

The dragon swoops around the tower and hovers near the bridge by Pawetha and Kaiakas. It looks like it might breathe its poisonous breath, but instead, after sizing the two warriors up, slams its tail on the bridge before taking to the sky again (both Kaiakas and Pawetha take 7 damage, Opportunity attack for Pawetha on the dragon).

Player turn.
Map Update
Dec 10, 2015 5:02 pm
Pawetha barely keeps her balance from the tail slap, and with vengeance lashes out at the departing dragon. As the beast flies off, the ranger returns her attention to the hobgoblin captain, thankful that the paladin is beside her.

Seeing as how the captain has backup of his own, Pawetha uses her knowledge of horde tactics to place quick strikes against each opponent and darts in and out with her shortsword.

Rolls

OA Shortsword vs Dragon, Damage - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (6) + 5 = 11

1d6+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Shortsword vs Captain, Advantage vs Captain, Damage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d6+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Horde Breaker Attack vs Hobgoblin, Damage - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d6+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Dec 10, 2015 9:19 pm
If the burning of the dragon's breath weren't enough, the damned hobgoblins spilt more of my blood. I didn't realize they had taken enough of my strength to drop me to my knees until my skull struck stone. My world then shakes violently, separating my consciousness from my broken, bloody body.
[OOC: Unconscious at -7 hp. Guess that'll happen with 30 damage within a couple rounds.]
Last edited December 10, 2015 9:20 pm

Rolls

Death Save - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Dec 11, 2015 10:29 am
Pawtha's attacks all miss their marks. The wounds and exhaustion are catching up with her.

Jorr lines up an arrow and fires it at one of the archers in the tower. The arrow hits the hobgoblin in the chest. He staggers back, then attempts to steady his own bow to return fire. While not dead yet, he's certain to eventually die from such a wound.

Xara, Zaris, Corban, Warklegnaw, and Rurik's death save. Zaris and Corban can, with a regular movement, reach the leftmost edge of the bridge

Rolls

Shot - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Shot (Disadvantage) - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Damage - (1d8+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Dec 13, 2015 12:37 am
Corban rushes down the stairs, and makes his way to the edge of the map. He glances up to the nearby tower and spots another hobgoblin archer up there. Corban reaches up toward him and from his hand sprouts three missiles of force that lash out and strike the archer.

Rolls

Magic missiles 3d4+3 - (3d4+3)

(123) + 3 = 9

Dec 13, 2015 2:59 am
While I'm by the tower, I search for a way to get in without being detected.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Dec 13, 2015 11:20 am
Corban's barrage of magic strikes the hobgoblin archer, who stumbles backwards. He spits a gob of blood, moves back to the edge of the tower and lines up an arrow.

Xara quickly realizes that these towers cannot be entered. They are solid stone anchors that hold the bridge in place. The only defensive or offensive use they serve is facilitated by the staircase that runs around the outside and brings one to the top of the tower.
Dec 13, 2015 11:25 am
The giant strides forward, pulling the arrows from his chest and discarding them. He steps up, carefully, beside the unconscious Kaiakas, and swings his club at the captain. The hobgoblin's eyes widen as the club strikes him in the side and casts him into the empty air over the gorge. He almost floats for a moment before, with a scream, he plummets into the rushing river hundreds of feet below.

Zaris has a turn, and also Rurik needs to make a death save. On the map, the "/" marks injured enemies
Dec 13, 2015 1:53 pm
I continue to sizzle and pop as the acid eats away at me

Rolls

Death Save - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Dec 13, 2015 4:05 pm
[OOC: Seeing Rurik make his death save, here's my second.]
Breathing...shallow. Body...acid burned.

Rolls

Death Save - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Dec 15, 2015 9:32 pm
Zaris moves quicker than he has ever moved before in his life. He nearly gags when he sees Rubik's lifeless body on the cold stone. He quickly props his head up and tries his best to use the limited medical skills to treat his fallen comrade.
Dec 16, 2015 12:42 am
Welp. There goes that plan. I turn away from the tower to see how the others are doing and am dismayed that two of my group members appear to be down. This can't be good. I take off towards Rurik, shaking him a bit and checking to make sure he's not just passed out from drink.

When that doesn't rouse him, I grab the glowy stick and poke him with it. Surely it will do something?
Last edited December 16, 2015 12:51 am

Rolls

Medicine check - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Magic healing pokey stick? - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Dec 16, 2015 7:45 pm
Zaris moves in to help Rurik, but as he does Xara steps in front of him and kneels over their fallen ally. She tries to stabilize him, but realizing she knows very little about medicine, takes the stick laying on the ground beside him that is has a faint white glow. She jabs the end of it into his stomach, hopeful that it will do something. The staff glows and Rurik's eyes fling open as he regains consciousness and the severe burning from the caustic gas fades from his flesh.

At the cost of 1 Inspiration, Xara manages to cast Cure Wounds level 2 - Rurik heals 2d8 damage and the staff has 8/10 charges left
Dec 16, 2015 7:50 pm
The two distant archers loose more arrows at the giant. Both hit Warklegnaw in the upper leg and he stumbles, nearly onto Kaiakas, but manages to retain his balance. The hobgoblin fighting Pawetha stabs at her with his sword, the blade barely catching her (4 damage). The nearest archer returns fire on Corban, but the arrow deflects off of his armour.

The dragon swoops around the tower and lands beside Xara, casting up a cloud of dirt in the fury of its beating wings. It bites at the rogue (12 damage).

Player turn. Kaiakas has already rolled (and failed) his death save for the round.
Map
Dec 16, 2015 8:06 pm
"Rurik, wake up! Come on, we're not doing so-" I don't even notice the bite as my world goes black and I collapse to the ground. The glowing staff falls somewhere next to me.
Dec 16, 2015 8:20 pm
Pawetha spins away from the hobgoblin's blade, wincing as all this activity is draining her energy. As she finishes her pirouette, Pawetha slaps her hand down on Kaiakas' body and she cries, "Baervan says, 'Get up! Move faster!'"

OOC: Casting Cure Wounds on Kaiakas for 1d8+4 HP
Dec 17, 2015 9:20 pm
Zaris aims his wand at the goblin a top the tower hoping they have the distance to take the foul creature out.

Rolls

MM 1 - (1d4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

MM2 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

MM3 - (1d4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Dec 18, 2015 1:53 pm
The barrage of magic missiles strikes the hobgoblin archer and launches it backwards. He tumbles over the edge of the tower and into the gorge below.

Kaiakas, Rurik, Corban, Warklegnaw and Jorr I believe are left
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.