The Haunted House (Marcellus)

load previous
Apr 14, 2020 6:55 pm
This torchlit chamber was once a large cellar, but it has since been converted into living quarters. Ten crude beds stand along the south wall, each with a wooden locker at its foot.

A long wooden trestle table ringed by rickety stools dominates the center of the room. Metal cutlery, cups, and dirty plates sit atop the table.

A cookstove is installed near the table, and evidence of recently cooked meals sits in pots atop it. A large ham hangs from a loop of twine near the stove.

A sturdy set of stairs in the west portion of the room leads to a trapdoor in the ceiling above. There are two wooden doors in the east side of the room (where you are standing).
Apr 14, 2020 8:34 pm
Huck, not overtaken with good sense, wanders to the ham, runs his finger along the outside and takes a taste of his finger.
OOC:
Does the ham seem super old? How does it feel to the touch? How about to the taste of the finger?
Apr 14, 2020 10:25 pm
"Well someone's set up shop here. An entire gang, by the looks of it. Probably the ones who ambushed and captured me" Zel remarks as he walks around the room, checking for any more secret doors. If these men have been here without being seen by the locals, there must be another way in...

Rolls

Secret door search (+3 if Perception, +4 if Investigation) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Apr 15, 2020 1:36 am
The ham is fresh and, in fact, still has a touch of warmth. It is slathered with honey and tastes delicious. Zel, you find a secret door on the south wall, opposite the staircase.
Apr 15, 2020 2:09 am
"Maybe we should take a rest, enjoy this nice warm ham together.

"By the way, I think someone is nearby; this is still warm and delicious!"

He then licks his fingers.
Apr 15, 2020 9:13 am
"Got a little something here..." Zel speaks up, before opening the secret door.
Apr 15, 2020 2:39 pm
Upon reaching the upper floor and seeing no one signals to the others and then starts checking out the wooden lockers at the foot of each bed
Apr 15, 2020 3:59 pm
Keung-Ru, if you are going up the staircase and opening the trapdoor, let me know.
Apr 15, 2020 7:43 pm
OOC:
Okay if I understood your question? -- No that was my post for entering the current room - the one that had the wooden lockers at the foot of each bed -- the one where Zel just opened a secret door
Last edited April 15, 2020 7:45 pm
Apr 15, 2020 8:56 pm
OOC:
Okay, just wanted to be sure, since you had said that you were going to the upper floor. The barracks are in the cellar. It is the room that you initially came into after leaving the room with the body.
The chests are locked. Before you can do more, the secret door that Zel found slides open to reveal three men standing at the head of a staircase going down! The men immediately move to attack!

INITIATIVE
Keung-Ru
Zel
Scout
Bandit 1
Katlynntaine
Huck
Bandit 2
Feng
OOC:
Keung-Ru and Zel are up! The map is here

Rolls

Huck Initiative - (1d20-1)

(18) - 1 = 17

Keung-Ru Initiative - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Zel Initiative - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Katlynntaine Initiative - (1d20+0)

(17) = 17

Feng Initiative - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Bandit Initiative - (1d20+1)

(17) + 1 = 18

Bandit Intiative - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Scout Initiative - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Apr 15, 2020 11:09 pm
OOC:
Okay was slightly confused as both I and HeroAmongMen denoted we had gone up the stairs I thought you were describing what was at the top of the stairs not the room we were currently in and that room at the top of the stairs had more stairs going up. All clear now though.

Now just checking if I move to the other side of the room could I shoot the first person with an arrow or is Zel in the way and/or is that even obvious to me from where I am at -- do not want to assume anything here?
Last edited April 15, 2020 11:15 pm
Apr 15, 2020 11:38 pm
"Bloody pirates!" is all Zel can shout as he steps back, a small mote of fire forming in his palm. He pulls his arm back, ready to toss it forward as soon as the men make an advance or any aggressive move.
OOC:
Moving all the way back to the corner and holding a Fire Bolt for any hostile moving in or attacking. Gonna roll the dice in advance just in case

Rolls

Fire Bolt spell attack - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Fire Bolt damage (if successful) - (1d10)

(7) = 7

Apr 15, 2020 11:46 pm
OOC:
Joker, you go before Zel, so he would be blocking your shot unless you delay long enough to allow him to move aside.
Apr 16, 2020 12:15 am
Keung-Ru notes the situation and quickly moves back behind the table for a better angle getting an arrow ready calling out, "Don't be stupid, drop the weapons and surrender." If they do not comply and move forward aggressively he will shoot the first one through.
OOC:
Moves to -- 2 Squares away from the away from the door and 3 squares across the room -- going around the end of the table to get there

Holding action until they do an aggressive move forward -- aka do not drop their weapons and moving into the room will be considered an aggressive action on their part
Last edited April 16, 2020 12:19 am

Rolls

Shoot Arrow at First Aggressive Person - (1d20+6)

(19) + 6 = 25

Damage if it Hits - (1d6+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Apr 21, 2020 3:12 pm
OOC:
So sorry, my laptop went down and I've been switching to a new one.
The first man is barely through the door (for they are, indeed, acting aggressively) when an arrow hits him in the chest. He barely has time to regain his balance before the fire bolt hits him. He drops wordlessly to the ground. Behind him, the man at the rear of the group moves forward and sends two arrows at Keung-Ru! Both arrows miss the target!
OOC:
Kat and Huck are up!
OOC:
Ignore the attack on Zel, I got ahead of myself.

Rolls

Scout vs. Keung-Ru - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Scout vs. Keung-Ru - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Scout Damage - (1d8+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Scout Damage - (1d8+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Bandit vs. Zel - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Bandit Damage - (1d6+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Apr 21, 2020 3:56 pm
Katlynntaine steps forward and calls down divine radiance to fall upon the attackers.
OOC:
The map is a bit small for me to read. Is that an enemy that's within 15 feet of myself, Huck, and Keung-Ru? If yes, I will cast Sacred Flame upon them. If not, I'll move forward 10 feet so that the enemy at the doorway is the target.
[ +- ] [url=https://gamersplane.com/characters/dnd5/13402/

Rolls

Sacred Flame radiant damage, DEX save DC 14 to avoid - (1d8)

(5) = 5

Apr 21, 2020 4:38 pm
Huck will run up and stab at one of the foes.

Rolls

Spear attack vs foe - (1d20+3, 1d6+1)

1d20+3 : (9) + 3 = 12

1d6+1 : (5) + 1 = 6

Apr 21, 2020 4:49 pm
OOC:
CancerMan I believe that is Marcellus we had 3 enemies we now only have 2 and they are both positioned by the secret door but I believe the scout is by the door and the bandit is in melee with Zel

Also you can shoot 2 arrows in a round in 5e -- or could that be a 5th level fighter??
Last edited April 21, 2020 4:56 pm
Apr 21, 2020 5:29 pm
OOC:
Thanks for the clarification on the map.

As for enemy capabilities, I trust the DM and whatever they throw at us, so two attacks per round is fine; NPC and monster stats are different from players.
Apr 21, 2020 6:22 pm
OOC:
If you use the magnifying glass on the toolbar, you can increase the size of the map. Yes, scouts have the multiattack feature. Many creatures in 5E do. No, neither is in melee yet, I got ahead of myself. The extra token was Marcellus, but I think that he dropped.
The holy fire consumes the bandit, leaving him burned, but still alive. That is quickly remedied by Huck, who runs him through with his spear! The bandit goes down, leaving just the third man (the scout).
OOC:
Feng, Keung-Ru, and Zel are up!

Rolls

Bandit Dex Save - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.