Chapter 6: The Hunter and the Prey

load previous
Nov 14, 2019 10:02 pm
You made a mistake you sad sack of ugly. Do you think I am afraid to be close to you? It just makes you easier to stab. The only thing I fear is your stench. You reek of the swamp that spit you out.

Wil stabs with his free hand.
Last edited November 14, 2019 10:05 pm

Rolls

Dagger stab - (1D20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Dagger damage - (1D4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Nov 14, 2019 10:09 pm
As Verrian wriggles out of the hunter's grasp, it sees Coreene come in to try and save Giran and flicks its free tentacle at her.
OOC:
AoO on Coreene, 10' reach
The sharpened end of the hunter's arm sings just past Coreene's ear, but her concentration on the task at hand is unbroken, and she's able to tend to Giran's wounds successfully.

Nearby, behind Verrian and Yelnar, the wall of the building nearby collapses in a burst of flames and cinders, flaming pieces of wall flying in all directions.
OOC:
The new extent of the fire is on the updated map. If you are within 20 feet of the fire at the end of your turn, DC 15 Fortitude save to avoid 1d6 heat damage.

Verrian and Yelnar, please give me a Reflex save (DC 15) to reduce 1d6 fire damage (rolled below). Verrian, if you make your save, you take no damage (Evasion rogue class skill).
Wil's dagger stabs into the tentacle, eliciting a weirdly mechanical screech from the hunter. It babbles an endless stream of ancient Alcaven words, all sensible conversation now apparently beyond its abilities.
[ +- ] Babbling Hunter
Eanala takes advantage of the hunter's distraction to try once more to open it up with her rapier. Once again her blade ricochets harmlessly off the hunter's tough skin.
OOC:
Yelnar, Ember and Elora are up in any order
78RPMLife sent a note to 78RPMLife

Rolls

Tentacle AoO on Coreene - (1d20+8, 2d6+2)

1d20+8 : (3) + 8 = 11

2d6+2 : (44) + 2 = 10

Possible fire damage - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Eanala rapier attack and damage - (1d20+5, 1d6+4)

1d20+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

1d6+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

Nov 14, 2019 10:30 pm
As Verrian drops deftly to the ground following her escape from the monster's tentacle, the wall of the building nearest her goes up in flames.

Rolls

Reflexin' - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Nov 14, 2019 11:26 pm
Yelnar tries to take evasive action from the growing flames, he deftly dodges some flying, burning debris but is still singed a little.
Last edited November 14, 2019 11:26 pm

Rolls

Reflex Save - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Nov 14, 2019 11:30 pm
The creature reeks of desperation now, and Yelnar believes it to be nearing its end. He tries his best to finish it, making a mighty strike at it, then shuffling further away from the flames.
OOC:
I believe its still grappled, so a little easier to hit currently. After the hit, Yelnar 5 foot steps to W10 to get away from the flames.
Last edited November 14, 2019 11:32 pm

Rolls

Power Attack Swong - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Probably Hit, Add damage - (1d10+9)

(8) + 9 = 17

Attack of Opportunity 1 - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Another likely hit! - (1d10+9)

(1) + 9 = 10

Nov 15, 2019 5:51 am
Yelnar swipes at the hunter, who fails to dodge as it has been able to in the past: the swing slices viciously through its abdomen, and the shriek it elicits hammers at your ears.

The hunter still stands, however. The words it projects falter, and begin to jumble indistinguishably.

With one arm it lashes out at Verrian, while with the other, it attempts to fling Wil toward the fire.
OOC:
Wil, please make a Reflex save, DC 15.

Rolls

Tentacle attack and damage - (1d20+8, 2d6+2)

1d20+8 : (10) + 8 = 18

2d6+2 : (64) + 2 = 12

Nov 15, 2019 2:10 pm
Wil attempts to land in range of attacking but not on fire.

Rolls

Save roll - (1D20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Nov 15, 2019 3:24 pm
The hunter’s tentacle swings back and launches Wil in the direction of the fire, where he’ll surely be burned to a crisp. As he’s released though, the halfling reaches out with one hand in a desperate grab for anything that will keep him from a fiery death and manages to get a tenuous grip on the end of the tentacle. Sensing a sudden advantage, he grabs on with his other hand and swings himself forward, sailing through the air and landing on his feet not far away. He’s dropped both of his daggers, but he’s alive, and he can see his weapons a short distance away.
OOC:
It will take a full turn this round for Wil to re-arm himself and rejoin the battle.
Nov 15, 2019 3:57 pm
Verrian stumbles as the hunter's arm crashes into her, but she manages to keep her feet. She shares a quick barrage of images with Coreene that effectively add up to: @Coreene: I can't take many more hits like that, but I think this creature is close to death. If I go down, make sure everyone gets to safety.

She drives forth with another two-handed attack, then darts nimbly over Giran on the ground to the spot next to him, still adjacent to the hunter, escaping more damage from the heat.

Rolls

Rapier attack - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Rapier damage - (1d6+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Dagger attack - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Dagger damage - (1d4)

(4) = 4

Nov 15, 2019 6:06 pm
As Verrian attacks, she hears Ember's voice in her head.

Elora's really hurt, but we're safe. We're in a building by the river. What do you need from me?

From the southeast building, Ember looks back at Elora, who would have heard her cast "Message."

How are you holding up?

She's still terrified, but having cover has calmed her slightly.
Last edited November 15, 2019 6:07 pm
Nov 15, 2019 6:15 pm
lavtodd says:
As Verrian attacks, she hears Ember's voice in her head.

Elora's really hurt, but we're safe. We're in a building by the river. What do you need from me?
Noting that Ember is outside the range of her Naucan telepathy, Verrian whispers her reply to the message spell.

I need you to keep yourself and Elora safe, little one. That's your priority.
Nov 15, 2019 6:23 pm
Ember nods, though she knows Verrian can't see her. She looks around to see if there's anything that can help Elora.
OOC:
I think I used a 5-foot step to cast "Message" out the door and would be able to do another move-sized action, but if not, I'll defer.

Rolls

Perception for Useful Stuff. - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Nov 15, 2019 6:43 pm
Elora pulls out her healing potion, eyeing it deliberately. "I'm...not great. I have this, but I want to save it, in case we go down." She puts the potion back in her bag, and tries to have a looksee as well for anything useful, not that she's expecting for a deus ex machina. Pip however, might be given how fast he's zipping through the place.

Rolls

Perception with pip :) - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Nov 15, 2019 7:51 pm
As Elora moves through the abandoned building, she gets the sense that it might have once housed a merchant's offices, but there's very little of interest that hasn't been picked over by looters years ago. Pip flutters about, and as he approaches the remains of the windows that once overlooked the river, she can sense him become a little agitated.

78RPMLife sent a note to somebox
Vesina continues to hustle people across the bridge, but it's slow going. Whether in paralyzing fear of the hunter or a desire to help out with the fight, some people aren't in a hurry to get across the bridge. On the other side of the river, those that have already crossed have stopped moving. Some are looking hesitantly off toward the southwest (bottom left of the battle map, across the river) and consulting with one another, others seem oblivious to whatever's gathered their attention. They're not moving, in any case.

The fire on this side of the river continues to rage, spreading to other nearby buildings, including one close to the river. A loud, muffled WHUMP comes from inside one of the buildings, and flames rage up into the air, crackling with intense heat.

Swan, seeing Verrian staggered from the tentacle blow, moves in behind her and sings a few short words from a song, reaching out to touch her shoulder. The hunter, too distracted and unable to easily reach Swan where he stands behind Verrian, does not attack as he moves in. Verrian feels the comforting tingle of healing energy flow through her.
OOC:
Coreene and Wil are up, then Eanala, then back to the beginning of the order.

Rolls

Cure Light Wounds on Verrian - (1d8+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Nov 15, 2019 8:25 pm
Will lands in the three point stance and sees his daggers on the ground. Being tossed around didn't seem to hurt him or shut him up.

You think you are getting rid of me that easily? You are dumber than you look...and you look really dumb.

Wil scrambles to X9 and picks up his daggers, ready to continue the fight.
OOC:
I probably gave up an AoO
Nov 15, 2019 8:28 pm
Almost negligently, not even turning toward Wil as he darts in and spouts some insult at it, the hunter flicks a tentacle in his direction.

Rolls

AoO on Wil - (1d20+8, 2d6+2)

1d20+8 : (14) + 8 = 22

2d6+2 : (54) + 2 = 11

Nov 15, 2019 8:53 pm
The explosion, and the lack of bleeding bring Coreene back to reality. With everything going on, her only thoughts are getting Giran away from the fire and away from the hunter. Looping her arms under his, she keeps her eyes on the hunter and drags him as far from danger as she is able.
OOC:
Going to take the disengage action to get Giran out of the fight.
Nov 15, 2019 8:56 pm
Wil spits up a little blood.

Is that all.

Cough, wince.

you got
Nov 15, 2019 11:29 pm
If Eanala notices the heat, she makes no indication. The rapier having been completely useless, and some of her wits returning to her, she takes a quick step to one side and spins and crouches all at once, trying to sweep the hunter's legs out from underneath it.
OOC:
Forgot an additional +2 modifier, it's actually a 19, which is -- remarkably! -- successful.
The quick maneuver and the hunter's evident growing panic catch it completely by surprise, and its legs go out, waving almost comically as it tumbles to the ground, prone.
OOC:
Melee attacks are made against the hunter at a +4 bonus, ranged attacks are at a -4 penalty. The hunter will take a -4 on melee attacks unless it stands up (provoking an AoO).

Yelnar, Ember and Elora are up in any order!

Rolls

Trip attempt - (1d20+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Nov 15, 2019 11:42 pm
Ember's face twists in worry as the building across from them ignites.

Elora.....we have to get across the bridge. This whole section of the city is burning. Can you move?
load next

Thread locked