Chapter 6: The Hunter and the Prey

load previous
Nov 18, 2019 4:46 am
Ember absentmindedly shoots ice at the flames closest to her. She squints to look over the bridge and figure out why there’s a panic.

Rolls

Ray of frost. Spell resistance of the.....ground? And “damage” - (1d20+3, 1d3)

1d20+3 : (18) + 3 = 21

1d3 : (2) = 2

Percepting the Panic Source - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Nov 18, 2019 5:06 am
"I'm not sure what I'm looking at, but I doubt it's good. We need to help these people." Elora looks all around for someone more equipped to motivating people, and spots Visana! Perfect.

Elora hustles fast as she can over to Visana, laying everything out to her. "Something is coming this way, it's....bad? I'm still piecing it together, but for now everyone should move away as a precaution. What should I do?" She looks at her expectantly, hoping Visana can give her some idea.
Nov 18, 2019 5:06 am
Ember fires a ray of frost into the fire, but it evaporates almost instantly due to the intense heat. Thanks, maybe, to her frustration, she fails to see anything coming from across the bridge.

The hunter waves its now normal arms at Yelnar, its head and legs twitching seemingly uncontrollably. It makes a querulous chirping noise, as though confused at the lack of effective weapons at its disposal.
OOC:
Yelnar takes 3 points of nonlethal damage. The rest of the party is up!

Rolls

Hunter arm 1 attack and damage - (1d20+6, 1d3)

1d20+6 : (19) + 6 = 25

1d3 : (3) = 3

Hunter arm 2 attack and damage - (1d20+6, 1d3)

1d20+6 : (7) + 6 = 13

1d3 : (2) = 2

Nov 18, 2019 5:10 am
We have to end this.

Wil dances in to stab the depleted remnants of this evil stain. He doesn't have the breath to insult, and he honestly doesn't think it would understand him at this point.

Rolls

Attack 1 - (1D20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Damage 1 - (1D4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Attack 2 - (1D20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Damage 2 - (1D4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Nov 18, 2019 5:13 am
That one struck home, time to twist the knife.

Rolls

Critical chance - (1D20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Nov 18, 2019 5:21 am
Wil darts in beneath the hunter's feeble swing at Yelnar and stabs it in the side, the blade sinking into the hunter up to the hilt. It gives a couple of last, feeble twitches and then begins falling apart. Literally. First its left arm, skin flaking off badly, falls to the ground. Then one leg buckles awkwardly, and the hunter's torso falls stiffly to the ground. As it hits, the thing's featureless head rolls bloodlessly away. The hunter's skin starts crumbling into dust, which blows away like so much of the ash that blows about the fire-swept city square. In mere moments, all that remains of the hunter is a green crystalline sphere about the size of a fist that shines with a weak, pulsating glow.
Nov 18, 2019 5:23 am
Verrian darts to the sphere and tries to discern what it is.

Rolls

Wha dat? - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Nov 18, 2019 5:26 am
Wil tries to remember if he has heard stories of such a thing. He is careful not to touch it.

Rolls

No skill, but worth a shot. - (1D20)

(7) = 7

Nov 18, 2019 5:31 am
The sphere is undeniably beautiful. Its surface isn't smooth, but instead composed of hundreds of tiny, perfect facets. The glow seems to come from the center of the gem-like sphere, though what produces it is impossible to see, at least in this darkness.

What its purpose or powers might be, though... that remains to be seen.
Nov 18, 2019 5:43 am
Uncertain about the nature of the sphere, Verrian bites her lip. As it seems to be what was powering the body of the hunter, it is likely very dangerous. But leaving it for someone else to find - the Crows, for instance - seems equally dangerous.

Reaching a decision, she kicks the sphere onto a handkerchief, ties a knot around it, and puts it into her backpack.
Nov 18, 2019 5:53 am
There is a faint warmth emanating from the sphere, but nothing else seems to happen. It goes harmlessly into the backpack.

The question of what's happening across the bridge remains unanswered.
Nov 18, 2019 6:01 am
Finally, there is time for Verrian to look around her. The mages who had gone over the bridge seem to have started back. She doesn't know what that's about, but there must be a serious threat to drive those people back this way.

She moves to where Giran is still lying unconscious. She looks at Coreene. "Can we revive him? If not, help me carry him. We need to get out of here."
Nov 18, 2019 7:04 am
Hearing Verrian after the beast finally goes down, Yelnar silently gestures an offer to carry Giran.

"Go check out what’s ahead Verrian, whatever it is if it wants a fight your words might be our only hope right now."
Nov 18, 2019 7:27 am
Verrian looks torn, as though reluctant to leave Giran, but it's a fleeting expression. She glances at Ealana, then nods gratefully to Yelnar. "I'll go find out what's going on. Be ready to move. We might not have a lot of time for regrouping."

She runs toward the bridge, looking for Ember and Elora. Spotting them in the distance as she moves into range, she reaches out to them telepathically.

@Elora and Ember: The hunter is dead. What's going on over the bridge? Why are the mages coming back?
Nov 18, 2019 12:54 pm
We don't know yet, Ember calls, using her "message" cantrip to boost her over the fire's roar. Elora thinks it's bad.

Hey! She shouts to the panicked mages. What's going on?
Nov 18, 2019 1:49 pm
After Verrian has taken off and she has had a moment to catch her breath, Coreene looks to Yelnar. "I could heal him, but he will be fine with rest. I only have one healing spell and who knows what the night maybe bring. I am going to see if I can help."
She nods to Yelnar in thanks for his help and heads towards the masses of escapees.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+11)

(13) + 11 = 24

Nov 18, 2019 2:09 pm
Swan casts Cure Light Wounds on Giran. "My arts are nearly depleted as well, but we'll need Giran's strength. Coreene, we need to find those people somewhere to hide. We're only free of the guard dog, not the tyrrants."

He looks up to the sky. "And quickly."
Last edited November 18, 2019 2:09 pm
Nov 18, 2019 3:38 pm
Will sees Verrian prepare to scout ahead and stops her for one brief exchange.

Verrian, this is important. Do you remember the big Crow that was with Ildemu. They called him Brick. He is here, as is Ildemu. But Brick helped all of us escape. He is a good man under it all. If you see him, try not to kill him. Tell him you are with me.
Can you message the rest and let them know?
Last edited November 18, 2019 3:39 pm
Nov 18, 2019 4:19 pm
Verrian looks surprised. She remembers the man Wil is referring to. "Wil, is there anyone you can't befriend?"

She grins at him briefly, then shares the image of Brick with Coreene. To everyone, she begins to share, @Everyone: The big Crow we know as Brick is working with Wil to help the mages escape. He's a friend. Don't hurt him if you can help it.
Last edited November 18, 2019 4:20 pm
Nov 18, 2019 7:32 pm
Elora looks happy, or as happy as can be given her situation. She tries not to take her eyes away from the south even as Verrian approaches, only stealing a quick glance or two. "I hope it's nothing bad..."
load next

Thread locked