Saltmarsh

Mar 23, 2020 4:20 pm
Saltmarsh is a small fishing town on the coast of Keoland, about 30 miles to the west of Seaton. It has a population of roughly 2,000 residents and is presided over by a seven-person town council. Local laws are enforced by a sheriff and his deputies. Most of the inhabitants are fisherfolk, with a few farmers in the outlying areas. You have been drawn to Saltmarsh by the promise of adventure, as local lore tells of a haunted manor just outside of town. Rumor suggests that the town council would like to develop the property, but they cannot do so as long as the locals believe that it is haunted. They are seeking a sturdy group to investigate and if the place is haunted, to exorcise the spirits.

This chilly day finds you entering the town under grey skies that threaten rain. Asking about, you find the folk helpful and polite, if a bit standoffish. They direct you to The Sailor's Home from the Sea as a decent inn and The Briny Deep (next door) as a good tavern. They also inform you that the council is led by Hiram Faulkner, a prominent merchant in the town and that he is usually found at the council hall.

You may arrive as a group or as individuals, as you desire. The time of year is late fall, coming into winter (Ready'reat 16, 572 CY). The tavern is crowded with locals, but the fire is inviting and the food smells delicious.
Mar 23, 2020 5:07 pm
A young man steps into the Inn shortly after midday. He spies what he takes to be the Innkeeper behind a counter apparently going over some books. "Well met, good keeper. I hear tell that this is the finest Inn in Saltmarsh. Have you a room available?" As the young man draws near and speaks the Innkeeper looks up and is somewhat startled by a rash of facial scars and an ear half torn off.

"Come from some distance, have you? What is your name, son?" inquires the innkeeper with a somewhat disinterested tone of voice.

"Waters, Bran Waters. I'm from up north or so I'm told. Had a bit of a dust up awhile back and lost some of my memory." He gestures with his hand to his face at the mention of 'dust up'.

"Welcome, Mr. Waters. I'm Everett Salters, by the way. A name like Waters tells me your people are from around these parts. What brings you back to the coast?" he says with a bit more interest.

"I've heard rumors of a haunting nearby and thought I'd lend what expertise I could. Who should I be talking to about that?"
Last edited March 23, 2020 5:14 pm
Mar 23, 2020 6:22 pm
"As it happens, we do have some rooms available. Cost is 2 sp per night for a private room, or you can sleep in the common room for 5 coppers. Private rooms can be locked. Haunting, eh? You must mean the old Selgore place. Rumor holds that the man was an eccentric who hid a great treasure somewhere in the house. Local folks claim the place is haunted, but a few brave souls have ventured up there looking for the treasure. I think the most recent individual to go up there was old Bedford the trapper. He's usually at the tavern next door, lost in his cups. If you want to investigate professional-like, you'll be wanting to speak to the council."
Mar 23, 2020 7:26 pm
Moments later another young man enters the Inn. He overhears Bran Waters talking to the innkeeper and waits for the conversation to finish before intending to speak to the innkeeper. However, he is distracted by mention of the rumours of the haunting. Turning towards Bran, "Excuse me, Mr Waters, I don't mean to intrude, but I couldn't help hearing you were here to assist regarding rumours of a haunting. By coincidence I too have heard such rumours, which is why I am here. Permit me to introduce myself, Venemar Faierling. Can I get you a drink?"
Last edited March 23, 2020 7:34 pm
Mar 23, 2020 8:37 pm
Having slept late, about to starting down the stairs from the private room he had gotten for the night. The halfling Griffo Goodelock stopped and remained hidden behind the bannister that was there. He could not help overheard the conversation taking place below. He had arrived in Saltmarsh only the day before. Working a caravan that had originally started out from the great port city of Gradsul three weeks before. Traveling some two hundred miles down the coastal traderoad along the western edge of the Azure Sea. Terminating his employment upon arriving there in the seaside town. He was now looking for other means by which to earn a living. Thus he continue listening from his 'perch'.
Mar 23, 2020 8:43 pm
A very tall man (6'5"), in his mid-forties, with a shaggy head of brown hair and a whitening beard walks into the Sailor's Home and takes in the sights appreciatively. He is garbed simply and has the appearance of a person who has been on the road for many days. He too approaches the Innkeeper and overhears the other two, younger men, discussing.

"I believe drinks are to be had next door..." he states matter-of-factly. Turning to the Innkeeper, he adds "Good sir, I'd need lodging for myself, and stabling for my good old Borgotta. What would be your fare?"

While he awaited for the host's response, he sized up the two men who had walked in before him. "I see rumors travel fast, and far. Name is Persemonal, Albionus Persemonal. I too have come seeking to plunder this particular mystery..."
Last edited March 23, 2020 8:43 pm
Mar 23, 2020 8:58 pm
"Private rooms are 2 sp, or you are welcome to the common room for 5 cp per night. Stabling is at no charge," the innkeeper replies.
Mar 23, 2020 9:37 pm
Damp and miserable Ulfgar trudged into Saltmarsh and paused in the shadow of the nearest building to the road. He looked around and grimaced, "Place stinks, it's wet and I was stupid enough to come here alone. I know I was told to wait for others, but I hate waiting." He notices the stares of the passersby and realizes he's been talking out loud again. Another grimace fills his face in their direction and he heads further into town.

His boots get even muddier as he leaves the more solid road into town and joins the softer roads of the town. The closer to the ocean he gets, his mind turns to hungering for the dry caverns of his youth. Then his mind turns towards actual hunger, he looks down the street he's blundered down and sees a tavern sign swaying in the light breeze. He walks up to the porch and sits on a rough bench running under the narrow awning over the porch. Sitting he removes one boot at a time shaking the mud onto the street, he examines his blistered feet knowing he'll pay for this day tomorrow. He digs his last apple out of his pack and chews on it, now lying on bench with his head on his pack. The apple now eaten he tosses the core lazily onto the road, his hunger temporarily quelled his eyes close and he begins to snooze.
Last edited March 24, 2020 3:19 pm
Mar 24, 2020 8:12 pm
Nope. Ships were not for her. She'd regretted it as soon as the ship had left dock, but by that point, there was nothing to do but deal with it. All of it. The rocking of the ship, the foul mouths and wandering eyes of the sailors, the incessant threat of being an incidental causality in the war between bird and deck... At least the sailors weren't stupid enough to try anything on with her. It had been a nice idea for a shortcut, especially after she'd heard the rumors about Saltmarsh. But from now on, she was sticking to land.

She stepped off the boat and discovered the earth was repaying her for her brief treachery by emulating the sea as best it could. She grabbed her stick with both hands and took a few tentative steps. Things didn't immediately get worse, so she kept it up, and by the time she'd got ten more yards, she didn't look like the drunk sitting under the tavern sign up the street.

She walked toward him, thought about speaking to him before entering, discovered that the sea had left one last hidden reminder that she should never bother it again, and decided against it. She pushed the door open and flopped onto a stool. "Anything that will help my stomach, please."
Mar 24, 2020 9:55 pm
Bran puts a silver on the counter and says, "Here's for two nights in a common bunk. Shouldn't need to be here longer than that." He turns to the others who entered after him and says, "I'm heading to the tavern next door for a quick meal. Anyone want to join me?" He waits a moment or two for any response before turning on his heel and striding for the door.
Mar 25, 2020 12:12 am
With nothing more to gain from remaining concealed. The halfling started down the stairs. "My good fellow Waters, I'll except your invitation and join you for a midday repast. My name is Fenix, nicked named 'The Fox' by those I grew up with. I could not help but over hear you earlier. The acoustics in this place are a wonder. Let us speak more of that of which you spoke of, as we satisfy our appetites."
Mar 25, 2020 6:34 am
"Well met, Master Persemonal. Next door it is then. If you care to join us." Venemar turns and follows the others to the tavern.
Last edited March 25, 2020 6:35 am
Mar 25, 2020 9:37 am
Albionus arranges for accommodations in a private room for the night, and heads after the others to the next door tavern.
Mar 25, 2020 5:34 pm
Someone passes Ulfgar by and heads into the Tavern, he starts awake and looks around - but they're already inside. Looking at the shadows off the porch, he realizes he's taken more than a quick cat-nap. Embarrassed at having fallen fully asleep, he gathers up his gear and goes inside as well.
Mar 26, 2020 3:30 pm
Tezhra nurses her soup, which is apparently - according to the man that handed it to her - specially made to ward off seasickness. She wasn't sure about that, but it was very certain that after the spice and that underlying taste that she couldn't quite place but suspected was something akin to skunk, she was having a hard time thinking about her sickness, even if it was still there.

Then the place started to fill up, all at once. The first one in the door was dressed well enough. It was hard to tell is those were real furs, but it was a good look. A halfling was next; she braced herself for non-stop unnecessary conversation. The next man through was... out of place here. He seemed like he should be in a castle somewhere, not a tavern in this small town. She wasn't sure how she felt about him. He seemed like the kind of person to keep his armor polished at the expense of his wits. The old man that came next looked like a magician of some sort. He could be useful, if he was friendly enough. And then, oh look, the drunk. Back for more, evidently.

This was going to be tricky. If she asked the magician about the task, she might end up with half the tavern. She waited to see what transpired.
Last edited March 26, 2020 3:31 pm
Mar 26, 2020 5:37 pm
Bran steps quickly up to the bar and speaks to the tavernkeeper. "A tall mug of ale, if you please and, if you have anything hot, I could use something in my belly." Bran fishes a couple of silver out of his pouch and plinks them on the counter.
Mar 26, 2020 5:57 pm
Ulfgar has slept too long, he now has to contend with a much more crowded room in which to eat his meal. He scans the room and takes the closest seat. It's next to an exotic looking women who is picking at her soup, he sticks his pack under the table and sits, trying to wave a barmaid over to order whatever swill passes for beer in this town.
Mar 27, 2020 1:12 am
Venemar waits at the bar to be served, "I'd like an ale and a hot meal please," placing two silver coins on the bar. From the bar he looks round in the tavern to see if there are any seats to eat his meal and talk to the people he saw in the inn. He takes in the scene looking at the customers in the tavern observing whether any appear different from local inhabitants, such as persons wearing armour or carrying weapons.
Last edited March 27, 2020 1:22 am
Mar 27, 2020 1:36 am
Most of the inhabitants of the bar are farmers and fishermen, and the vast majority of them are male. There are a few female faces among the lot, but by and large, they are men. Most have weathered features and tanned faces and arms. The meals are simple, pan-seared fish with a side of vegetables with a choice of ale, beer, honey mead, or Keolandish wine (for an upcharge). A man sits spinning tales by the fire, entertaining a handful of local children. The atmosphere is very cozy, but the attitude of the crowd is very standoffish towards strangers.

At a nearby table, there is a commotion. A middle-aged man, drunk, from the looks of him, approaches a group of locals and speaks to them. There is some terse discussion, then one of the men stands erect. "You heard me, Bedford! Go tell your ghost stories elsewhere! You'll get no more ale from us!"
Mar 27, 2020 5:41 am
Spotting a just vacated barstool, the halfling climbed up and stood on top it. Momentarily catching the barkeeps attention he said. "A pint of mead and whatever is your lunch special, please. When you get the chance, thanks." He had heard the comment concerning the Bedford fellow. He was sure the others had as well. He thought it best to let the others question the man.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.