Saltmarsh

load previous
Mar 29, 2020 4:14 pm
"They looked like demons, or at least, what I've been told are demons. They had horns and red skin and claws and some walked on all fours."
Mar 29, 2020 8:59 pm
Bran had remained quiet through the entire story and its attendant questions. When it seemed he wouldn't be interrupting he said,"I think we've heard about all we can expect to hear. I believe our next move should be to make our way out to the house and look for ourselves. Shouldn't take but a little over an hour to get there on foot."
Mar 29, 2020 10:21 pm
"I think, you're right as far as Bedford is concerned," agreed Venemar, "but remember the innkeeper nextdoor said that if we wanted to do anything official we might want to speak to the council. I heard they were looking for people to deal with this 'haunting'. They must know something, in order to have put the word out seeking help. I heard when I entered town that the council is run by Hiram Faulkner and he can be found at the council hall. We could go and see him this afternoon. I don't think it can do any harm and we might learn something else useful." He took a sip of some more beer and looked across at the bar to see if his meal was ready any time soon.
Last edited March 29, 2020 10:25 pm
Mar 29, 2020 11:02 pm
The meals are served presently and, while not delicious, they are tasty and hot.
Mar 30, 2020 2:02 am
Aldrusian says:
Bran had remained quiet through the entire story and its attendant questions. When it seemed he wouldn't be interrupting he said,"I think we've heard about all we can expect to hear. I believe our next move should be to make our way out to the house and look for ourselves. Shouldn't take but a little over an hour to get there on foot."
"The tale is an entertaining one, I've heard few better. I would like to see the truth of his words for myself." Ulfgar doesn't believe any of what has been said, but it is clear the man thinks he saw something. He does have time to kill, and his feet can't any more sore.
Last edited March 30, 2020 2:02 am
Mar 30, 2020 3:08 pm
Having finished his meal and tired of bidding his time. The halfling climbed down from his stool and made his way over to where the others are. Speaking in a low tone that only those there could hear. "You might be wise to not speak so loud that most anyone here at this fine establishment could over hear what is being said without even really trying. I would suggest that those who wish to learn more concerning the place in question, join me this evening. As I plan on traveling out there as so to arrive a hour or so after dark. Once we got close enough. Being such a small chap, it would be fairly easy for me to go in alone and have a look around and see what's what. Then come back and report what I find. Then we can decide what to do from there. What say you all, who among you wants to come with me?"
Last edited March 30, 2020 3:09 pm
Mar 30, 2020 4:11 pm
OOC:
I'm assuming that Bedford is still at our table, since the DM hasn't specified he has left. In which case, certain comments about him may come across as quite rude. Waiting for confirmation on that point before posting regarding the man.
The halfling's interruption and proposal made Albionus scoff.

"What? You would want us to sneak around as thieves, under the cover of darkness? The house is abandoned, as I understand it. Whoever lives," and here he stopped for a moment, coughed lightly, and continued "whatever inhabits that place is living in darkness already. It grants us no advantage to go there under cover of darkness... And I say we try to speak to the authorities before breaking in without their writ. This uh... Faulkner fellow," the long-fingered man waved towards Venemar, who had just mentioned the local councilman, "We should most definitely speak to him first. And, by the way, who are you?".
OOC:
Please picture him with a lot of "old man energy" in his voice. Slight British accent, pompous and annoying. A crowd pleaser, for sure.
Last edited March 30, 2020 4:12 pm
Mar 30, 2020 5:22 pm
Bedford finishes his beer and, if no one stops him, bids you good day and thanks you for the drink. After the trapper leaves, a man leans over from a nearby table. "I wouldn't take his tales too seriously, my friends. Bedford embellishes the story with every telling."
Mar 30, 2020 6:14 pm
WhtKnt says:
Bedford finishes his beer and, if no one stops him, bids you good day and thanks you for the drink. After the trapper leaves, a man leans over from a nearby table. "I wouldn't take his tales too seriously, my friends. Bedford embellishes the story with every telling."
"This my good sir is my assumption, but I have some time to spare. If I must spend that time here, I might as well be entertained." Ulfgar looks at the man and winces a bit as his boot catches a blister. He stops wiggling his feet and tries to think of anything other than his blisters.
Last edited March 30, 2020 6:15 pm
Mar 30, 2020 11:59 pm
"Well, when we've finished our meals we could go to the council hall and hopefully speak to Hiram Faulkner," suggested Venemar and took another mouthful of his pan seared fish and vegetables. "It shouldn't take long and leaves us free to decide what to do later. I wonder if there are any other sources of information about this Selgore place," he added, taking another sip of his beer and looking round at the others who had gathered when Bedford was in full flow.
Mar 31, 2020 12:09 am
"I heard that the old man was an alchemist," a bearded man offers. "I heard tell that Selgore had a vast fortune hidden somewhere within the house," another offers. "Yeah, but it be cursed gold," says a third. "Everyone knows that old man Selgore's ghost haunts the place."
Mar 31, 2020 11:08 am
"I guess trying to get more information about this place from this Faulkner fellow won't hurt. It still leaves plenty of time to head out there this evening." Said the halfling, going with the others to the council hall.
Mar 31, 2020 3:10 pm
Apparently everyone was interested in this oddity. Well, at the very least it would be simpler than if she was going it alone. "We might as well have official approval," she nodded, and followed.
Last edited March 31, 2020 3:10 pm
Mar 31, 2020 4:08 pm
At the Council Hall, you locate Mr. Faulkner with little difficulty. He is a tall man, clean-shaven with piercing blue eyes. "So, you want to investigate the Selgore Mansion. Very well. I am authorized by the Council to offer a reward of 50 gold coins to each of you if you can prove that either it is not haunted, or that you have dispelled the haunts. Should you find anything of value within the house, it is yours, minus a small tax, of course. The tax is 5% on all salvaged goods. If you decide that you wish to purchase the manor, we can discuss terms."
Mar 31, 2020 11:30 pm
"Thank you Mr. Faulkner," said Venemar, "may I ask if you have any information about what has been happening there? Something must have come to the council's attention for you to be offering a reward to people to investigate."
Last edited March 31, 2020 11:32 pm
Apr 1, 2020 12:31 am
"The locals claim that it is haunted, though no one seems willing to investigate further. Most of the children avoid the place, and at least one person in town claims to have seen demons or some such nonsense. We're relatively certain that a mundane explanation exists, but for someone to prove this to the superstitious, it is worth a small reward. There is also the rumor that the previous owner hid a vast fortune inside the house. I find it doubtful, but who knows? Perhaps you will get lucky."
Apr 1, 2020 1:35 am
"Well, that leaves us with only one thing to determine," says Bran. "Do we go out there today or wait til tomorrow. I prefer tomorrow."
Apr 1, 2020 1:47 am
""I'd prefer tomorrow too, " agreed Venemar. He regarded Bran's scars, he had tried not to stare at these and thought Bran must be a very experienced fighter. Turning to the council leader he said, "Thank you Mr Faulkner. We are strangers to your town. Could you give us directions to the Selgore Mansion?" He could think of no more useful questions but looked around at the rest of the group in case anyone could think of anything further.
Last edited April 1, 2020 1:48 am
Apr 1, 2020 2:08 am
"You can't miss it. It's the house that's up on the edge of the cliff, about two miles to the north, along Old Coast Road. In fact, you can see it from the center of town."
Apr 1, 2020 2:53 am
"Tomorrow sounds wonderful, my poor battered feet thank you for the delay. This would look to be some easy money, something spooked the man, but I venture that which we find...underwhelming" Uflgar looks to secure a room for the evening and look after his feet.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.