Saltmarsh

load previous
Mar 27, 2020 12:35 pm
Albionus followed Venemar to a table and ordered the basic meal being offered, along with some ale.

As the nearby commotion came to an end, the tall man stood up and spoke in a strong voice that carried throughout the taproom. "Bedford is it? I'm new and ready to endure your tall tales. I'll even offer you a drink for them, good man. Please sit," he said, gesturing to an empty bench spot at his table. With an imperious gesture, he also tried to silently signal the barman to bring a drink to his table.

As he stood waiting for Bedford' response, Albionus observed both that man's reaction, and the taproom's general response to his loud intervention.
Mar 27, 2020 1:33 pm
Just after ordering his meal (pan-seared fish and veg.) Venemar hears the comment of one of the locals towards Bedford. He asks the tavern-keeper/bar-keep to give him a shout when his meal is ready, then taking his drink he moves over towards Bedford. Hearing Albionus speak to Bedford, he sits at the table and nodds towards Bedford.
Last edited March 27, 2020 1:37 pm
Mar 27, 2020 3:27 pm
Looking up at the commotion Bran notices a couple of the men from the Inn sitting at a nearby table. Taking his plate of food and his mug of ale he steps over to them and says, "May I join you? Sounds like something interesting is going on."
Mar 27, 2020 3:45 pm
Ulfgar's eyes follow the local as he's yelled at, he pays attention on what transpires. With the time on the road getting here, he's not really talked to anyone, might as well listen in to others talking instead.
Mar 27, 2020 6:49 pm
The man known as Bedford smiles, revealing a mouthful of rotten teeth and ale-soaked breath. "Sure, friend. If you're buying, I'll be happy to tell you my tale." The taproom seems momentarily distracted that you would make such an offer, but they soon return to their own discussions.

Bedford takes a seat at your table. He, like so many others here, is weathered and his face is filled with lines. One streak of his otherwise dark hair is stark white, but his blue eyes are clear and alert. He is dressed in the simple clothes of the peasantry, but his fine fur cloak betrays his occupation as a trapper.

As you sit, he brings you all in close for a conspiratorial whisper. "The others think that I'm mad. About two weeks ago, I was exploring the area around the old Selgore place, about two miles outside of town, up on the cliff. I thought that I might catch a few weasels, or maybe even a fox. Well, it started to rain, so I figured no one would mind if'n I went inside. After all, it's been deserted for years. Well, I went inside and into the kitchen. There was nothing there, of course, so I decided to take a look in the cellar, just to satisfy my curiosity, understand. I no sooner set foot upon the top step when a horrible ruckus came up from below! It was a ghastly scream, like that of a banshee! I swear by all that is holy that I thought every demon in the abyss was down there! I lit out of that place like a bolt of lightning! I chanced a look back and saw a bunch of demons following me out of the house! Well, I ran all the way back to town. I guess they didn't follow me more than a few steps, but they didn't need to! I'm never going near that house again!"
Mar 27, 2020 6:49 pm
Tezhra eyed the drunk, and then sniffed. No smell. She might need to revise her assessment, but not just now. There was someone with possible information regarding the reason she was here. She stood up, leaving her soup mostly untouched. She did have to admit that it worked, but there was no way she was eating the rest of it. "Excuse me."

She left the bar behind her and moved over to the table. "I heard mention of ghosts?"
Mar 27, 2020 6:51 pm
"What can you tell us about these demons, Bedford?" asks Venemar.
OOC:
When I started to write this the last two posts hadn't appeared! Slow typist I guess.
Last edited March 27, 2020 7:07 pm
Mar 27, 2020 7:16 pm
Albionus nodded quietly as the man related his tale. He thought of asking something but decided Venemar’s question was as good as any to start with. He sat, listened and observed, sipping his ale on occasion as he scrutinised the trapper and considered his account.
Last edited March 27, 2020 8:21 pm
Mar 27, 2020 7:47 pm
"They had deep red skin... and horns! They were all different sizes, and shrieking as they came! They didn't look human, and some of them didn't even walk on two legs!"
Mar 27, 2020 8:23 pm
"But they never followed you out of the cellar, correct?", the mage interjected.
Mar 27, 2020 8:26 pm
"They came up the stairs, chasing me out of the house!"
Mar 27, 2020 9:16 pm
"I see. When did you realise they were no longer following you?", Albionus asked, his full attention focused on the trapper.
Mar 27, 2020 11:34 pm
"I guess that I was about a half-mile down the road before I slowed enough to check."
Mar 28, 2020 6:48 am
"And a good thing you didn’t stop to look, too. They might’ve caught up with you, and none of us would have been warned! Here, allow me to buy you another drink," the tall, bearded man said, gesturing towards the tavern keeper or of one of his aides. "Have you worked about this mansion before? Noticed anything change there recently? We’ve all heard rumours of this haunting, I believe it is why each one of us have come to Saltmarsh. Anything else you can recall will be of great use..."
Last edited March 28, 2020 7:09 am
Mar 28, 2020 3:12 pm
"How are you all so sure at to take him at his word? Claim requires proof!" Ulfgar had turned to towards them and spoken then realized the word came out of his mouth. He huffed under his breath kicking himself for speaking out loud, "I would be most interested in seeing this disturbance for myself."
The abbot likely wouldn't of approved this, but the others he was sending were far enough behind him that he could amuse himself with this goose chase.
Last edited March 28, 2020 3:17 pm
Mar 28, 2020 5:30 pm
Griffo continued to listen as he ate the scallop and shrimp kabobs he had been served at the bar. All the while formulating a cunning plan in his mind. He decided to wait for this Bedford to leave before broaching the idea with that were questioning him.
Mar 28, 2020 8:53 pm
"Proof!? You want proof?" Bedford suddenly snaps. "Look here!" He indicates the white streak in his hair. "Do you think that this is natural? You want further proof, you can take yourself up there. I already told you that no amount of gold is going to get me to go back!"

At his outburst, people in the tavern have turned to regard your table now.
Mar 28, 2020 10:09 pm
"I understand completely, Bedford," Venemar says, "but as our friend here was asking," nodding to Albionus, "if there's anything else you can recall, or tell us about this place, it could be of vital importance."
Last edited March 28, 2020 10:14 pm
Mar 29, 2020 2:14 am
"I know little more," Bedford replies, somewhat calmer now. "I had barely begun to explore when I was chased away by the demons. I went in the door at the back of the house, by the old well."
Mar 29, 2020 4:05 am
Tezhra regards the man without much emotion. He had enough for the whole table. "I realize this might seem like a stupid question, but... how do you know they were demons?" She imagined for a moment a horde of monsters screaming, 'we are demons, run away', as they chased the man away, but that was probably not what happened.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.