Saltmarsh

load previous
Mar 25, 2021 10:24 pm
[ +- ] Hiram said
OOC:
I understand that we are receiving 5,905gp PLUS 5,000gp (including equivalent such as trade bars of gold and silver for the value of the ship) Total of 10,905. There are six party members but I understand we have agreed for the Stoutlys to have one share between them - please advise if this is not correct. Split between 7 this would mean each of the party members receives 1,557gp 8sp and 5cp. Please confirm if this is right. I ask this so we know how much we can spend on equipment etc.
Last edited March 25, 2021 10:25 pm
Mar 25, 2021 11:08 pm
OOC:
I believe that is correct, yes.
Mar 25, 2021 11:53 pm
OOC:
The cost of a horse (rouncey) in Osric is 25gp +2gp for reins and bit + 10gp for saddle and stirrups - 37gp in total.) What is the buy-back rate for the horse and tackle? Alternatively, is it possible to hire a horse and tackle for three days? If so what is the daily rate?
OOC:
Can I buy plate mail in Seaton for 400gp and sell the banded armour at 20% value (18gp)?
Mar 26, 2021 12:16 am
OOC:
You can rent a horse and tackle for 10 gp a day.
Mar 26, 2021 2:18 am
OOC:
After the council meeting Venemar will ask Hiram for where he can find the Stoutlys.
When he sees them he will present them with 1,557gp 8sp and 5cp. "My friends and I can't thank you both enough for what you did today. Your ruse of making it look like there were more of you was brilliant! Had you not turned up when you did I think things would have gone against us. We all decided we would like you to have a share of the treasure between you. Thank you again and I look forward to working with you again in future."
OOC:
The next morning Venemar will hire a horse (and tackle) for 10gp a day, ride to Seaton, sell his banded armour (I understand this will be at 20% value therefore 18gp) and buy a suit of plate mail. Then he will ride back to Saltmarsh, returning the horse. I will make adjustments to the character sheet accordingly.

What's the rate for the costs of staying in inns etc?
Last edited March 26, 2021 2:22 am
Mar 26, 2021 2:45 am
OOC:
No charge for staying in the confines of Saltmarsh. The innkeeper wouldn't hear of it. In Seaton, you can get a nice, private room for 7 sp per night, or you can sleep in the common room for 2 sp.
Mar 27, 2021 12:08 am
When Venemar gets back to Saltmarash he pays a visit to the church of Procan and donates 500gp. He will also check in on the other party members and see how Albionus is getting on with the spells, Find Familiar and identifying the items believed to be magic.
Mar 27, 2021 12:09 am
OOC:
Thanks. I have adjusted Venemar's character sheet accordingly with 7 sp per night for two nights, 30 gp for the hire of the horse and 400gp for the plate mail.
I will also spend 30gp on two changes of good quality travelling clothes and a good quality green cloak.
Can I buy a healer's kit for 5gp (this is in AD&D5e) - bandages etc. ? (So far he has been using an old cloak, torn into strips)
[ +- ] Religious institutions in Saltmarsh
OOC:
Is St.Cuthbert of the Cudgel of Lawful Good alignment? I ask this because I have read somewhwere (on the net) that it is Lawful Neutral.
I propose to make further donations. I note that in Osric paladins have to give the whole surplus after expenses. Is this the case in your campaign? I don't know what further expenses he may incur so propose to retain some of this for future expenses so he is not in penury and make further donations.
Mar 27, 2021 7:18 am
Albionus settled down in his rented quarters to work with the eagerness of an apprentice in his first year of tutelage. On the dawn of the day his companions had left for Seaton, the Magic-user began the lengthy and potentially dangerous work that was a Magus’ lot in life. Not lacking in monetary means, he made sure to hire an errand boy to fetch his meals and to hurry outside to acquire any missing materials. He made sure to keep all suspected magic items in a different room, so that the magic emanations coming from him would not affect their auras and render them unreadable.
OOC:
So here’s the plan:
First day: read magic and then detect magic (what does it identify, among the loot of the Sea Ghost and anything left over from Selgore mansion that might not yet have been examined (the golden ovoid, for instance)); copy find familiar through ordinary means. Eat, rest. (100gp spent)

Second day: he memorizes write and read magic, using the latter to decipher the last remaining spells in both recovered spell books, and the identify spell he bought. Try to learn identify (which he bought), magic missile, message and spider climb (he'd like to, but still can't learn web, which is 2nd-level). He miraculously learns all four. He will use 1d3+1 usages of special inks to copy as many of those spells as he can. He can copy all four spells into his spell book in four hours (one usage remaining). He sends his errand boy to fetch more special ink and the components required for the find familiar and identify spells. Eat, drink, rest. (spent 100 (identify scroll?) + 180 (more ink) + 100 (find familiar materials), +100 (pearl for identify)).

Third day: Albionus memorizes find familiar and identify. He'll conduct the ritual to summon a familiar (I'll leave all the rolls to @WhtKnt). Assuming he doesn't spend 24 hours on it, he will then cast identify on the wand and, if time allows, the longsword (leave the rolls to @WhtKnt too, would rather not know where Albionus failed! ;-P). Exhausted (reduced to con 4), he'll have his errand boy help him eat some soup, and then fall asleep to recover.

Fourth day: depending on results of the previous days (how many magic items detected on Day 1, whether he now has a familiar, etc.), Albionus might either take his chances copying the spell web, or continue identifying spells (two castings possible, if he's not copying spells).

Very curious to know what the detect magic and identify spells may have revealed.

A very fruitful half-week of intellectual labours, it would seem!
Last edited March 27, 2021 6:55 pm

Rolls

Day 2 (learning spells) - (1d100, 1d100, 1d100, 1d100)

1d100 : (9) = 9

1d100 : (50) = 50

1d100 : (18) = 18

1d100 : (3) = 3

Write spell special ink usages (for both lots acquired) - (1d3+1, 1d3+1)

1d3+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

1d3+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

Mar 27, 2021 4:43 pm
OOC:
Can Gazza have accompanied Venemar to Seaton and bought Plate mail too, I will deduct the cost from the individual share Gazza would have received and update his character sheet
Mar 28, 2021 1:11 am
OOC:
Not a problem, Gazza.
OOC:
Albionus,

1) The detect magic reveals the golden orbus, the five potions discovered in Sanbalet's room, the four potions found on the Sea Ghost, the wand, the ring that the ship's mage was wearing, and the two suspect weapons as enchanted.

2) The find familiar takes 6 hours to cast and you are gifted to receive an owl familiar!

3) Trying to identify the wand reveals that it has the power to detect magical auras with the command "ABRACAPHAGIC." You believe that it has about 30 charges remaining.

4) Trying to identify the longsword is fruitless. You get no information.

Rolls

Find familiar casting time - (1d24)

(6) = 6

Find familiar results - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Identify wand

Identify longsword

Corrected [i]find familiar[/i] result - (1d100)

(43) = 43

Mar 30, 2021 8:00 am
OOC:
[OOC: Late night of Day 3; at Constitution 4, 5hp]
Exhausted to a point his visage seemed pale and deathly, the wizard retreated from his workbench with faltering steps, allowing himself to fall in a barely coordinated matter onto his bed. Whispering towards his assistant, he asked the lad to carry out the wooden chest in which the magical items had been stored, and to safeguard away from the arcane emanations that came from his person.

With a soft rustle, a small shape hopped onto the bed's headboard and looked down upon the exhausted, sickly mage. The owl observed quietly.

"A good day's work...", he mumbled to himself and to his new companion, the suggestion of a smile on his spent face, "I am glad you have come, little one...", he said struggling through heavy eye brows. He tried and failed to raise his hand to stroke the owl's lush plumage. "... how should I call you? Archi...bald...?". The sound of soft snoring followed shortly thereafter.
[ +- ] Archibald, the owl familiar
OOC:
Assuming that with eight hours of sleep he will be back to full health. With Archibald, he gains another 1d3+1 hp (roll below). On day 4,
- he will memorize identify and write;
- he will attempt the hazardous copying of the web spell (rolling the number of uses for the special inks; save vs magic, and damage roll in case of failure); [Success!! Spell copied succesfully, and no damage taken]
- he will attempt to identify the broadsword and, if possible, the ring (I'll leave those rolls to @WhtKnt).

I'll tally all expenses later, and deduct it from Albionus' sheet.
Last edited March 30, 2021 8:02 am

Rolls

Archibald's hp - (1d3+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Number of uses in latest ink batch - (1d3+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Save vs spell (at +2; DC 12), damage roll - (1d20+2, 2d4)

1d20+2 : (12) + 2 = 14

2d4 : (42) = 6

Mar 30, 2021 8:29 am
As the magus dreamt under the watchful eyes of his new avian companion, his mind drifted to a land of ledgers and accounts, a strange, stressful place.
OOC:
If Archibald ever dies, Albionus is in for a nasty surprise (permanent 8hp damage...).

Expenses incurred:

- errand boy, four days of service = 10gp
- materials needed to copy Find familiar with the "ordinary" procedure on day 1 = 100gp
- using write to copy Identify (bought for 100gp), Magic missile, Message, Spider climb (4 uses of special inks, exhausting the first flask and starting the second; one usage left over; 180gp), acquire materials for the summoning of a familiar (100gp), acquire materials for a first casting of identify (100gp) = 480gp
- Acquire special inks (180gp; after casting two uses remain), and a pearl for identify spell (100gp) = 280gp

TOTAL = 870gp
Mar 31, 2021 12:07 am
OOC:
Do you need a new pearl for each time you cast identify? I ask this because in another adventure I am in the DM has said the pearl of 100gp only needs to be purchased once and it can be re-used for subsequent uses of the spell.
Mar 31, 2021 1:07 am
OOC:
Technically, the spell does not specify, however, it does say, "This expensive and unreliable spell..." which tends to make me think that the pearl is consumed by the casting.
Try as he might, Albionus is unable to glean any information on the broadsword or the ring beyond the fact that both are enchanted.

Rolls

Broadsword ID - (1d100)

Ring ID - (1d100)

Mar 31, 2021 8:53 am
Mike says:
OOC:
Do you need a new pearl for each time you cast identify? I ask this because in another adventure I am in the DM has said the pearl of 100gp only needs to be purchased once and it can be re-used for subsequent uses of the spell.
OOC:
When I played 1st ed actively, I house-ruled identify for it to be a bit more reliable and useful. In 5ed, the pearl is not consumed, but in old school games, it was. In the old SSI computer games — Pool of radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds—, merchants would identify stuff for you, but for 100gp a pop. On the other hand, it was 100% guaranteed to work. It's a strange thing, this spell. Imagine the Wizard lord, at 10th level, accepting to identify items for a party of adventurers: he'll cast once, and get 11 segments of identification out of it (with a mere 65% probability of revealing one property, per item, per segment). If you fail, you may 'reveal' untrue properties (to potentially comical and/or deadly effect). Then said wizard will be exhausted for a lengthy period of time (and low constitution mages might not even be able to cast the spell without killing themselves... or at least going into a coma).

I think 2ed had a 3rd or 4th nope, 8th (!!!) level spell (Analyze Dweomer) that was far more effective (could still fail and had mechanics for exhaustion, though, and a casting time of 8 hours!). They also changed identify, so the chance was a flat 10% p/ level of the caster, with a cap at 90% (so there was always a 1 in 20 chance to get no info, and a 1 in 20 chance to get a false reading from an item).

As far as AD&D is concerned, Identify was the only way, besides pure experimentation through trial and error... You can see that in this adventure, for instance, the idea was that a wizard PC, having found the wand and the word inscribed in the defeated M-U's tome of spells, would attempt to use the word to activate the wand.
Last edited March 31, 2021 9:37 am

KCC

Apr 3, 2021 6:08 am
OOC:
Where do we stand then?
Apr 14, 2021 8:57 pm
OOC:
If everyone has completed their preparations, I'll move things along to the next mission.
Apr 15, 2021 3:15 pm
OOC:
Albionus has all he needs for now. Ready to go.
Apr 15, 2021 7:11 pm
OOC:
I'm ready!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.