OOC chitchat

load previous
Mar 28, 2016 4:04 pm
Lin is going to roll his eyes so hard they may fall out of his head.
Mar 28, 2016 4:04 pm
oh yeah, I guess we rub the side of the building a little...

man, I could have used your advantage in the roll.. is there a general way that we can use each other's advantage in PBP. I know in tabletop, you can just say it... maybe we can declare we're donating our advantages to the group if we don't use them to recover strain or make a critical hit?
Last edited March 28, 2016 4:06 pm
Mar 28, 2016 4:08 pm
Seems like a fair default use of advantage -- if you don't do anything with it, then it becomes that generic boost thing that gets used by the next player automatically?
Mar 28, 2016 4:18 pm
I agree with @Candi. Falyrx will use advantages for strain recovery if we don't claim them for something else. Adding a blue die to a subsequent action is fair game IMO.

Also, we can use advantages to add in beneficial environmental or narrative bits as well. This tends to be underutilized in PbP games (in my experience anyway).
Mar 28, 2016 4:22 pm
Friar_Tuk says:

Also, we can use advantages to add in beneficial environmental or narrative bits as well. This tends to be underutilized in PbP games (in my experience anyway).
I've found it under used in face to face as well. I think two things work against it:

1) Mechanical benefits are, well, mechanically superior (strain recovery, or granting a boost, helps you in a clearly visible way - better outcomes on future rolls, or the ability to keep churning out special abilities or keep on keeping on)

2) Adding 'narrative' and 'environmental' details is difficult without hooks or guidance. The players that do this, do it very well, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out most of them have GMing or improv experience, because a certain degree of comfort and 'unbounded creativity' is necessary to drum something up that is both fitting and feels 'cool' or otherwise like a good use of advantage when compared against strain recovery or boost dice.
Last edited March 28, 2016 4:22 pm
Mar 28, 2016 4:48 pm
Well if I needed the roll and we're still out and about for the chase without the need for the boost I would probably have gone with not noticing the cargo netting in the alley stuck to my foot when I jumped in, the hurried burn out of the alley had the Green Mamba repositioning in the back seat, aka getting tossed around but got the netting off his foot but it's snagged across the side and back so people can jump in quicker, or we have something now to snag the mark with on a driveby.
Mar 28, 2016 4:51 pm
Exactly. That's the interesting stuff. Adding narrative/environmental factors as mechanical benefit. I like that sort of thing. I like it as a GM when players in my game use advantages like that.
Mar 29, 2016 3:16 am
Checking in -- busy day today -- and flight out at 0-dark-thirty for a couple days in California. I'll be taking along the EOTE CRB and my adventure modules for my other two campaigns so I can update while on the road.

Generally -- if you want to give a boost "to the next person" - you can do so easily with a single advantage (IIRC). With 2 advantage you can designate the recipient as a specific person (or give your target a setback).
Mar 29, 2016 3:41 am
Okee dokee. I think I captured everything correctly.
Mar 29, 2016 12:51 pm
Clench Lin! Clench!
Mar 29, 2016 1:24 pm
Seriously...that was amazing! I LIVE for ridiculous rolls like that! No success, but 7 advantages...oh man.

That is my favorite thing about the EotE system; there is always a chance to fail an easy roll, but there's also often a chance to fail forward.
Mar 29, 2016 2:11 pm
So you shoot to his left so he dodges to his right to avoid blaster fire and you smile mischievously as he takes Speeder to the face from his dodge?
Mar 29, 2016 3:12 pm
It has to be the npcs turn now right?
Mar 29, 2016 3:17 pm
Kjmagle says:
It has to be the npcs turn now right?
i have a feeling the npcs act after Acaatha. ...
Mar 29, 2016 3:19 pm
nobody breathes a word about Mala's driving after this job....
Mar 29, 2016 3:21 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
Twi'lek drivers are the worst.
Mar 29, 2016 3:28 pm
Kjmagle says:
darthoingoboingo says:
that's racist!
Mar 29, 2016 3:42 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
Oh, Lin's gonna "breath a word" or two ;)
Mar 29, 2016 3:58 pm
Kjmagle says:
darthoingoboingo says:
Best Twi'lek driver I've ever know... course, she's also the only Twi'lek I've ever known... Anyway, better then Green Attitude over there driving. Remember the last time he was in charge of a speeder bike?
Mar 29, 2016 4:31 pm
you mean the "bantha pudding" incident?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.