IC: Chapter I - Leiknir Manor

May 24, 2020 9:17 pm
https://i.imgur.com/T4DohPB.png
Things seem quiet for now.

Caranthir and Winfred have re-joined the Company. Winfred tends to Astrid, following the battle with the bat-creature. Finrod takes stock of his gear, and searches for a couple arrows. And Vidar looks through the structures for any more threats. A greater more thorough search would be needed to unearth any potential heirlooms that might be found. However, in his quick scan of the buildings, Vidar does come across something, or rather someone in the same structure which the bat-creature had emerged from...

Deep in a shadowed corner, Vidar comes across what he at first thinks is a corpse. A very pale and hollow-cheeked man dressed in now-filthy clothes. But as Vidar moves into the space, the not-a-corpses' eyes open and dart over to fixate upon Vidar! And something like a ragged breath escapes it's open mouth!!
May 24, 2020 10:28 pm
"We've got a live one!" Vidar bellows over his shoulder. "Greetings, man. I'd say hale, but you don't look hale. Are you in pain?". He'll squat down (despite being a dwarf) to be closer to this man's level. But remains socially distant.

Vidar's going to keep this man talking (in case he is actually sick and ill) while the others come. I'd like to know 1. who he is 2. is he in pain
May 26, 2020 12:14 am
Pulling the leather jerkin off, Finrod had removed his shirt in order to assess his wounds. He'd have to find some clean water to clean it; a well or nearby brook would do. Ripping a small portion of cloth from the tail of his undershirt, Finrod fashoned a bandage, more to keep the wound clean than to stop bleeding. Finrod knew a small, steady short-term bleed might actually be beneficial.

Going through his gear settled the Ranger. He hardly saw each object in his possession, the flashes of abominable creatures filled his vision, and the Ranger replayed each moment, walked through his choices and failures.

An alarm from Vidar broke Finrod's dark memories. The man ran to see what new evil must have befallen the company.
Last edited May 26, 2020 12:17 am
May 26, 2020 3:29 pm
The man isn't really able to move or talk. His eyes roll around in his head, focusing on anyone nearby with some effort, and his jaw and throat can work, weakly. But he seems incapable of speech and doesn't seem to be able to move any of his limbs. He looks to be very nearly wasted away.
OOC:
You/anyone can roll a Medicine, or Investigate check to try to learn more about his condition.
May 26, 2020 3:37 pm
OOC:
I have +0 on Medicine, so not that
After the man appears not to be a threat, Vidar will go in and start pawing over the man looking for wounds. Maybe he's just starved? Or old? Humans seem to age off and die as soon as look at them.

Rolls

Investigatino - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

May 26, 2020 3:38 pm
Hearing the call, Caranthiel walks there taking his time. This man is serious need of assistance. And a temple is not close. Caranthiel eyes over the man as he lays there and being careful he will inspect his condition with only the least amount of movement to him. Caranthiel placed his spear against the wall near him.
Last edited May 26, 2020 3:40 pm

Rolls

Investiagation, Medicine - (1d20+2, 1d20+1)

1d20+2 : (12) + 2 = 14

1d20+1 : (8) + 1 = 9

May 26, 2020 3:38 pm
Vidar happily gets out of the way
May 26, 2020 3:50 pm
OOC:
Vidar could assist the Investigate (also examining the man's condition), for Advantage on the roll?
May 26, 2020 3:57 pm
emsquared says:
OOC:
Vidar could assist the Investigate (also examining the man's condition), for Advantage on the roll?
OOC:
flat d20?

Rolls

Assisting with diligence over knowledge - (1D20)

(7) = 7

May 26, 2020 4:09 pm
OOC:
Technically, whoever's "leading" the check (usually, whoever has the highest bonus) rolls the Advantage, but we'll just proceed.
Caranthiel finds numerous bite-marks up and down the man's arms. Series of smallish puncture wounds. Not like anything has been eating his flesh, but just... Like he's been repeatedly chewed on? Or something. It's very odd.

Can't really tell much about his medical condition.
May 26, 2020 4:24 pm
After a quick look, I would say perhaps this man has been a victim of the giant bat. It has been feeding on him. But I'm no doctor. He steps away from the poor victim and recovers his spear.
May 26, 2020 6:21 pm
Astrid will join them, limping still. On seeing that Caranthiel is bent over the injured man, she will leave it to his capable hands and not crowd the area.
She'll slowly wander round the room, holding the still lit torch high and cautiously looking in to the ceiling/rafters and any corners for the beast's nest and any other lurking dangers.
OOC:
EM I have used perception for that roll but if you think Investigation more appropriate then it is +2 rather than +5 to the roll.

You rolled two dice for my healing from Winnifred. Do I take the highest or the total? Not too sure how the Scholar's healing mechanic works.
Last edited May 26, 2020 6:23 pm

Rolls

Looking round room - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

May 26, 2020 7:01 pm
Giblets says:
OOC:
You rolled two dice for my healing from Winnifred. Do I take the highest or the total? Not too sure how the Scholar's healing mechanic works.
OOC:
Winfred has 3 "Healing dice", of 1d6 each, per long rest at this time. I just rolled two of them at once, because I didn't know how well I would roll. And that, on average, you needed more healing than just one dice. So, I rolled 2 in case you wanted, needed both. You are welcome to use both of those healing dice, to heal yourself, or just the first one (3). Using just 1 would leave 2 for later, using 2 would of course leave 1 for later. I just didn't want to have to go back and edit the post to roll more dice.

So.

That was what my follow up comment was for in that post. To try to tell you that you can use one or both of those healing dice, depending on how much you wanted to heal. 3 hit points, or 8. If you want, she can even roll her 3rd healing die? Make sense? I was just trying to save time/the need for back and forths asking for more healing, and failed :P
Looking around, Astrid spots many claw marks on the rafters. Looks like the thing has been "hanging" around here for quite a while... The building is otherwise full of weeds and debris, much like the other structures, and there's not much else interesting to see on a surface inspection.
OOC:
And I do want to point out, a deeper search, digging through the weeds and debris, etc., for Leiknir's heirlooms will require more time and an explicit statement and roll that that is what you're doing, when you're ready to do that.
May 26, 2020 10:50 pm
Vidar's eyes go wide at the thought of being repeatedly fed on and he shudders. He'll fetch/make some broth and carefully feed the man while singing dwarven lullabyes.
May 27, 2020 1:26 pm
After doing a circuit of the building, Astrid comes back to join the others.
"There is no further danger here, for now at least.
Perhaps we should move him outside? If he has been long in the dark, the sun and wind can only do him good.
I, too, could do with some rest."
She leans heavily on a rotted wall as she speaks to them, still wearied despite Winnifred's attentions.
After listening to any reply, Astrid will make her way slowly outside and back to the cart and packs, to get some supplies for a fire and meal.

Should the others gather with her, she will ask Vidar and Caranthiel, as she prepares some food, "Do you know of some lore that pertains to this beast? I have never seen nor heard of it's like before, but it can surely only be of the Shadow."
May 27, 2020 3:31 pm
Caranthiel repsonds, I think we should nurse the man to health. I'm sure that he can aid with his insights. Besides he can't fend for himself in his current condition.
May 27, 2020 4:56 pm
OOC:
I do just want to point out, you guys can't take Long Rests out in the wild. So you can take a Short Rest and use HD. But that's it. And then they will be expended of course until you can get a Long Rest again.

It is a little past mid-day.
May 27, 2020 5:44 pm
Giblets says:
"Do you know of some lore that pertains to this beast? I have never seen nor heard of it's like before, but it can surely only be of the Shadow."
OOC:
I do actually have shadow lore at +3! em, can I roll on knowing about its habits? Is it going to come back? I don't need to spend hit die
"Aye lass, twas indeed a fell beast. Although if it has a, ugh, larder, then it's smarter than a beast. Let's have some luncheon and I'm going to think on any stories I've heard about giant bats".
May 27, 2020 5:52 pm
Caranthiel thinks again about such a creature with the thoughts of a Larder as well.

Rolls

History, Lore - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (20) + 4 = 24

1d20+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

May 27, 2020 7:00 pm
Quote:
OOC:
I do actually have shadow lore at +3! em, can I roll on knowing about its habits? Is it going to come back? I don't need to spend hit die
OOC:
Yes, of course, please roll. I'll combine you and Caranthiel's knowledge into one reply.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.