IC: Chapter I - Leiknir Manor

load previous
Jun 3, 2020 4:50 pm
OOC:
By the time you guys have tended to your own wounds and seen to the unknown victim for awhile, and Caranthiel and Vidar have completed their thorough search of one of the rooms, it's mid-afternoon. ~2 PM or something, and most of the complex yet remains unsearched.

Caranthiel and Vidar, what structure did you want to search with your previous roll, 1 of the 3 rooms from A., all of B, or all of C.?
Jun 3, 2020 5:24 pm
OOC:
"C" Sounds good.
Jun 3, 2020 5:52 pm
OOC:
OK, this is the building that the unknown victim is/was in, he'd probably have to be moved, and the PCs resting in there would probably want to move somewhere else too, as the search would just create flying dust and debris and noise, etc. that they probably wouldn't want to be around as they tend to things. But if you're gonna search the whole manor it'd have to be done at some point anyway, so...
Caranthiel and Vidar start sifting through the overgrown grasses and brush, and over-turning the fallen timbers of the structural supports and roofing, and moving aside what must have once been perhaps a table and bench and barrels and creates and things, but are now just mouldering, rotted, and rusted piles of wood and twisted iron.

The more they go on, the harder it becomes to believe that anything of worth could possibly be found in a ruin this old and exposed. However, after some time of over-turning rot and wreckage, they come upon what must have once been a very nice riding saddle. It's leather is now sodden and crumbling and black of rot, but they can tell it must have been nice because there is fine metal work scrolling, and rivets, coursing along it's seams and decorating it's panels... It's no longer by any means useable, but, it does seem like it would be just such a relic of his family that Leiknir was hoping might be found.

Also, as the last timbers are being overturned and pushed aside, the two searchers notice a ... groove? ... in the ground. It's a cobble-stone floor, and perhaps that's why these straight lines in the ground stand out. Upon closer inspection, they realize it must be something like a minimally camouflaged cellar door.
Jun 3, 2020 7:31 pm
Caranthiel is glad they have recovered something. And what could be below in the cellar? Perhaps the cellar will bode us well. he suggests to the party.
Jun 3, 2020 8:31 pm
Vidar triumphantly bears the saddle back to Fin and Astrid. "Things are going our way finally!"
Jun 4, 2020 2:08 am
The elven embassy Caranthiel cleans himself up after the job of cleaning before we head down the cellar. Obviously he isn't used to doing this kind of work but he didn't say a thing and helped get the clearing such done. He does a quick inventory on his stuff and seems satisfied. He has his spear out and is ready to go down. He awaits for someone to light the way forward and down.
Jun 4, 2020 11:21 am
OOC:
Actually should we search A or B first before going down? But if we're going down I defo want to do it before dark...
Jun 4, 2020 8:19 pm
OOC:
Whichever you guys want to do, let's put together a narrative and rolls for it.

If you're gonna search the rest of the above ground manor first, how are you going about it? It'll take about an hour for each room. So you guys could split up, one person per room, and get it all done in an hour, or search it more thoroughly - teaming up on each room/getting Advantage - but it'll push you closer and closer to night fall.

Or, if you want to go straight into the cellar, that's fine too.

But let's just keep things moving.
Jun 4, 2020 11:12 pm
Hearing Vidár's cries, Astrid will come up to join them, now walking more normally after her time resting.
"Well done!" She claps him on the shoulder as he brandishes the saddle. "Shall we look down there first, then search as much of the other buildings as we can? It would seem our best bet to find anything salvageable, and I do not wish to tarry here after dark. My eyes are not as keen as yours at night, Masters Dwarf and Elf."
OOC:
sorry if I didn't make it clear EM, Astrid went back outwith the complex to where we'd initially stopped to make a fire and rest. And I presumed we moved the injured fellow down there too.
I'd vote for searching basement first then other buildings second.
Last edited June 4, 2020 11:12 pm
Jun 4, 2020 11:51 pm
Seems that Caranthiel is in the same mind to explore the Cellar right now.
Jun 5, 2020 2:37 pm
OOC:
Ok, let's go into the cellar then.
You clear away the rest of the debris, tracing the edges of the grooved floor until you've found the full size of the opening. It's about two meters square, and with just a little more fiddling, you find a concealed latch that - with a little cleaning - makes a satisfying click when you tug on it and the door in the ground has been loosened.

An acrid, stale air rises up and out of the opening in the ground along with the door, and light shines down onto a stone stairwell, wide enough for two people. The stairs descend a short ways west to a landing, where the stairwell then turns north, and the light can no longer reach its path...

But what draws your immediate attention is a... figure... laying upon the landing. At first it looks like a tangled pile of sticks and corroded iron and brittle-with-age cloth and leathers. But the look of it quickly resolves itself in your mind, revealing it to be a dessicated corpse. Long dead, but preserved somewhat by the protective seal and benign atmosphere of the cellar.
Jun 5, 2020 2:48 pm
Vidar utters an oath and rushes forward to have a look at the figure. When he's sure there's nothing medical to be done he'll look around the room with his candle.
OOC:
Again I'll offer to assist on Perception to someone with a good roll. Vidar doesn't have darkvision, but he does have some cheap candles.
Jun 5, 2020 10:27 pm
Caranthiel. This is rather strange. That complicates the matter. as he understands there is a corpse.
OOC:
Fixed
Last edited June 7, 2020 10:24 pm
Jun 7, 2020 10:10 pm
OOC:
sorry I don't understand gene
Jun 8, 2020 2:44 pm
OOC:
Alright, well, you guys are standing at the top of the stairwell, looking down into darkness, and what appears to be a very old corpse.

Watchya gonna do? :P
Jun 8, 2020 9:11 pm
Vidar defo goes down the stairs with his candle.
OOC:
But he's definitely a Perception assister
Jun 9, 2020 2:43 pm
Astrid darts down to crouch by the corpse and inspect it.
OOC:
Can she tell what it died from and if it was a Man? Also, is there enough clothing remaining to determine if it seems to have been dressed like the folk of the Dale?

I'll roll Investigation, but if you think Medicine more appropriate then it would have an extra +1 to the roll.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Jun 9, 2020 2:44 pm
OOC:
This is no basement.... It's a tomb!

Couldn't resist, sorry heheh
Jun 9, 2020 3:33 pm
OOC:
Medicine certainly would be more appropriate to determine what it died from, and probably whether it was Man, or not. But investigate would be more appropriate for other things, like the clothes... We'll do the Medicine check first.
Astrid takes a look, and about all she can be sure of is that it is no man, nor elf, nor dwarf, not hobbit... With it's twisted features, lips stretched back over pointed teeth, and clawed finger tips, it can only be some sort of orc or goblin.

As Vidar moves past Astrid and the naturally mummified body, holding his candle up to the darkness, the stairs proceed only a short ways more to the north before coming to an end at the floor of a room, or widening hallway, which stretches back into further darkness...

At the foot of the steps is yet another dessicated corpse, and... yes, perhaps another at the edge of the candle's light!
Jun 9, 2020 6:28 pm
Caranthiel wordless holds his ground and watches.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.