Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings

load previous
Jun 26, 2016 5:55 am
Having struggled not to pour more oil on the fire of the previous nights outburst Gongar is eager to move on any new clues that Sheriff Belor might have for them. "Well we shouldn't keep the good Sheriff waiting now should we. You can bring that loaf sticking out of your mouth Xandak."
OOC:
Sorry for missing all the action had family in town.
Jun 28, 2016 7:24 pm
You all head over to the town hall, where you are ushered up to a meeting room on the second floor. Sheriff Hemlock and the mayor, Kendra Deverin, await you there, along with an elf in dusty adventuring clothes.

"Glad you could make it," Belor starts off, then points to the women in turn, "This is Kendra Deverin, the mayor. I don't believe you've met yet? And this is Shalelu Andosana, she's an unnoficial part of Sandpoint's guards," Shalelu smirks at this label then he turns to you and points in order, "And these are Sandpoint's newest crop of goblinslayers, Malik, Urthask, Daire, Xandak, and Gongar."

Kendra steps forward immediately and shakes your hands one by one, giving you each a welcoming smile, "So glad to finally meet you all! I can't ever thank you enough for your heroics in the recent goblin raid."

"Shalelu here has been a constant thorn in the goblins' side for years and I don't know of many around here who are as aware of their doings as she is. It seems that it's not only Sandpoint who's had goblin trouble of late: The whole Lost Coast region has been hit by them, particularly the dale between Nettlewood and Mosswood." Belor explains, then motions for Shalelu to tell what she knows.

She stand and begins pacing back and forth as she talks, "Belor's told me of your work again st the goblins - well done. I've dedicated the last several years of my life to keeping them from causing too much
trouble around these parts, but they're tenacious and fecund little runts. Like weeds that bite.

"There are five major goblin tribes in the region, and, traditionally, they're pretty good at keeping each other in line with intertribal squabbles and the like . Yet from what I've been able to piece together, members of all five tribes were involved in the raid on Sandpoint. A fair number of the Mosswood goblins I dealt with yesterday were already pretty beat up, and there was a lot of chatter about the 'longshanks' who killed so many of them. Now that I've met you, it seems obvious from their descriptions who they were talking about. Seems like you've made an impression.

"In any event, the fact that the five tribes are working together disturbs me. Goblin tribes don't get along unless they've got something big planned, and big plans require big bosses. I'm afraid that someone's moved in on the goblins and organized them. And judging by these recent raids, what they're organizing seems like bad news for all of us."
Jun 29, 2016 4:36 am
Xandak begins to sign a question at Shalelu, then realizes she wouldn't understand him, and pulls out his chalkboard instead. A few moments later he turns it over, and on it is written: Sounds bad, how can we help?
Jun 29, 2016 3:17 pm
Here, finally, is someone who knows what's what. Urthask was quite honestly disappointed after meeting Daviren Hosk. This Shalelu gives him renewed hope.

Well met, Shalelu. You may have met my father, Galazur. He and Daviren Hosk campaigned against the goblins years ago. Hosk seems to think this new threat is little cause for concern. My new friends and I do not share Hosk's optimism. And it seems, neither do you. What more can you tell us?
Jun 29, 2016 4:20 pm
"5 tribes of goblins working together..." Gongar Shakes his head in disbelief. "Well, I guess that means we get to bash more heads than we originally thought!"
Jun 30, 2016 1:56 am
"Agreed, the more goblins killed the better, if allowed any purchase their kind will continue to take until you've not even a home." Daire looks around as he states this, with a single glance towards Urthask. He then glances to Malik "Do you truly believe them to be organized, and if so, to what end?"
Jun 30, 2016 2:41 pm
"I'm unsure at this point what they have planned, but I intend to find out. I just wanted to warn the good sheriff here to be on guard for whatever is coming," she states, "I plan on going back out in the morning, so if you'd like to discuss the tribes, I will be staying at the Rusty Dragon for the night. Hemlock here is already familiar with the basics, so I'd rather not bore him."

"Now to the primary reason I have invited you here," Hemlock speaks up, "I am taking a couple of guards and heading to Magnimar to ask for some extra protection until we figure out what's going in, Shalelu is heading out to get more information for me, and I was hoping you would all keep a public presence here. You have become local celebrities and it would do a lot for the morale of the town if you were here to watch over the town while I am away."
Jul 1, 2016 4:44 am
Xandak ponders Hemlocks' words.
To stay and guard the town, protecting the innocent citizens with my life... perhaps a chance to begin repaying my penance? This is a real opportunity to see how much I've truly grown and changed. He considers, and looks at both Gongar and Sheriff Hemlock, and nods in acceptance.
OOC:
I think it's worth taking the time tonight to ask Shalelu about the different goblin tribes, as well as asking Ameiko what the deal was with her dad last night.
Also, just a heads up, I'm gonna be out of town this weekend. Should be back sunday evening.
Jul 1, 2016 11:36 pm
"I would rather be out bashing their little heads in, but since we don't currently know where they are..." Gongar shrugs again. "I will stay and watch out for any incursions while you are bringing in reinforcements. What say you Urhtask, Daire and Malik?"
OOC:
Agreed, that we should learn as much as we can at the inn tonight.
With Monday being the 4th I probably won't be around much this weekend either.
Jul 2, 2016 12:13 am
"We are of the same mind, friend Gongar."
Jul 5, 2016 3:13 pm
"Thank you so much. I can never repay you for what you've done for our town," Mayor Deverin says to you as Belor thanks you as well. After a few more pleasantries, the meeting is dismissed.

"I have a few errands to run, but I will be at the Rusty Dragon tonight if you'd like to speak," Shalelu informs you before she leaves.
OOC:
You have a little bit of time to do anything you'd like to do before your meeting.
Jul 7, 2016 12:10 am
OOC:
We don't have to role play this out, but Xandak would want to visit the monastery. He hasn't done that since he arrived in town hahaha
Jul 7, 2016 12:33 am
OOC:
Absolutely you can do that! Would you like to RP it out?
Xandak splits from the others shortly after leaving the town hall, heading instead to the House of Blue Stones, the local monastery. He is greeted warmly by Sabyl Sorn, daughter of the founder of the monastery, who invites him inside for tea and a meal. "Please, stay as long as you'd like. As usual, you have full access to the library and the meditation floor."
OOC:
Using the library grants a +4 bonus to History and Planes checks!
Jul 7, 2016 2:25 pm
"Don't get lost in meditation." Gongar says to Zandak as he waves to the departing Monk. He turns to the rest of the group, "Anyone want to come shopping with me while we wait for Shalelu to finish her errands? I feel these gold pieces burning a hole in my belt pouch."
Jul 7, 2016 3:22 pm
"I'm not sure how to handle enemies of this sort. The best I can think of is to find some healing herbs? Maybe some sort of weapon that won't require me to be right next to the enemy? One of you who's faced more combat, perhaps you can make a recommendation?"
Jul 8, 2016 3:18 am
Xandak approaches the House of Blue stones slowly and reverently, remembering the years he spent here as an adolescent. Memories of the many hours of study, meditation, and training he experienced here passed before his eyes as he enters the building, looking for Sabyl. He took his vows towards the end of his stay in the monastery, so he is aware that she would know he will not speak, though that would not stop him from visiting: she is almost like family to him. He greets her with a broad smile and a warm hug, and bows graciously in acceptance when she offers him tea and food.

Soon enough he makes his way to the meditation floor. In the commotion of the past few days, meditation is something he has been less than diligent about, and he wants to make the most of his time here. Given everything that's happened, and the meeting that was to come tonight, Xandak can not help but feel a little anxious - like he is on the verge of something big. What that something is, he is not sure - but nevertheless the feeling of a calm before the storm is ever-present in his mind. Meditation is sure to help him clear his thoughts. Above all else, however, he seeks the blessing of Irori in silent prayer. Following Irori's path has been, to this point, crucial in his journey of self-betterment and self-empowerment, and Xandak feels the time is quickly approaching when he will have to put all that he has learned to the test. This trouble with the goblins could prove to be that test - a chance to finally pay his penance and expunge the guilt he feels for the death of his family. It is a test he does not intend to fail.
Last edited July 8, 2016 3:21 am
Jul 11, 2016 5:17 am
"Well Malik, I'm not too sure what to suggest for you. You really can't go wrong with a dagger. Why don't we head over to Savah's Armory and resupply and finally spend that gold Balor gave us. They might have some suggestions about a suitable weapon for the less martially inclined." Gongar turns to Daire and Urthask, "Will you two be joining us?"
Jul 11, 2016 1:36 pm
Malik and Gongar make their way to Savah's Armory in the Northeast corner of Sandpoint. They enter to find a massive amount of armor, weapons, and other equipment on display. There is a guard standing in the corner as insurance against potential thieves.

Savah, the owner, listens to Malik's conundrum and then considers for a moment before speaking, "I see you already have a heavy crossbow, but I think that might be a bit much for you to handle. Perhaps a crossbow that's a bit easier to reload might be best for you?" She leads you to a rack of weapons and pulls out a light crossbow and hands it to you to try out.
Jul 12, 2016 9:50 pm
Daire will attend with Malik and Gongar, and perhaps browse to see what weapons he recognizes and what exotic weapons might be common to this land, keeping an eye out for any dwarven style equipment as well.
Jul 13, 2016 12:49 am
Xandak will spend the rest of the day meditating and praying, and will meet up with the party later tonight for their meeting.
load next

Thread locked