Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings

load previous
May 29, 2016 11:09 pm
OOC:
I didn't want to say in front of Aldern that we could use his Boar hunt as a goblin hunting expedition. I think we will follow Aldern whenever He heads out for the hunt.
May 31, 2016 7:21 pm
"Wonderful! It'll be good to get our minds off of the recent attack," Aldern says, "We leave at first light tomorrow morning!"
OOC:
Anything else that you want to do before I move forward?
Jun 1, 2016 4:15 am
Naatkinson says:
OOC:
Anything else that you want to do before I move forward?
OOC:
Let's just keep it moving
Jun 1, 2016 3:41 pm
"Ah yes, I almost forgot to give you this!," he says, pulling out a bulging sack of coins and setting it on the table, "50 gold coins for your timely rescue. Use it well!" With that he turns to leave, saying that he'll be back in the morning to fetch you.

The Next Morning...
Aldern shows up early the next morning as promised, "You all ready to go? It's a beautiful day out, so it should be good hunting," he says with a dazzling smile.

He leads you to the stables, where he has horses (or ponies) waiting for those who don't already have mounts. Once you're all mounted he sets an easy pace to the south, peppering you with questions, "Where are you from? What brings you to Sandpoint? What are your plans from here?" After a while this becomes very annoying and unnerving.

You reach the forest about 30 minutes after you leave Sandpoint. It is a beautiful day outside, you can hear the birds chirping and see the squirrels gathering nuts. As you pass through into the forest you see a deer about 100 feet away stop what its doing to stare at you. You can see the creature's muscles tense as it prepares to spring away.
Jun 1, 2016 11:03 pm
"As ready as we will be", "It's not where we're from that is important, but where we're going", "we heard tales of your wonderful festival", "we plan to do what we need to" Mostly giving responses that don't inform the listener of much.

Daire will hold his arrow, he's out to hunt something else today, and the noise and activity might scare the real prey off.
Jun 1, 2016 11:09 pm
Malik stays largely quiet, occasionally picking some herbs or berries, and throwing them into his pouch. He keeps his eyes open for signs of a passing band, namely goblin.
Jun 2, 2016 5:34 pm
"What brought you to the festival Aldern? Just the revelry or were you in town on business?" Gongar keeps his eyes open for any sign of an ambush, it seems to him that Aldern is making way to much noise to be serious about the hunt and that is starting to concern him.
Jun 2, 2016 5:38 pm
"I was just there to participate in the festival, like most. Not often that a whole town turns out to celebrate!" Aldern replies, happy to finally get some real conversation, "How about yourself? What brought you to town?"
Jun 2, 2016 6:09 pm
Urthask sits quietly, back straight as a board, astride Arktos who plods along dutifully. The armored rider chews his gutka and watches Aldern intently.
Last edited June 2, 2016 6:10 pm

Rolls

Sense motive - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Jun 2, 2016 8:15 pm
"I trained at the monastery and took the opportunity of the festival to escape family duties to come to town and see my comrades. I'll take any excuse for good food and ale. Do you originally hale from Sandpoint?"
Jun 3, 2016 3:51 am
Xandak tries to maintain his focus on their surroundings as they walk, looking not only for traces of prey to be hunted, but of the goblin presence as well, at the request of his Dwarven friend.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Jun 5, 2016 4:25 pm
To Urthask, it seems that Aldern is trying to earn your favor for some reason.

"No, I come from Magnimar originally, he says to you.

Xandak doesn't see any sign of goblins, but he does see what looks like pig hoofprints.
Jun 7, 2016 9:08 pm
Having found what might be boar sign, what are you all doing?
Jun 7, 2016 9:21 pm
OOC:
Sorry all; out of town at a camp all week. Not much signal. May not be on much.

Xandak will draw Gongar's attention to the tracks
Jun 8, 2016 12:25 pm
Urthask realizes belatedly that he is ill equipped for a boat hunt. Granted, the hunt is merely a pretense, but Urthask has always prided himself on being prepared for anything. Back home they hunted with spears, not lances. The best hunting weapon he has is Arktos. Urthask reaches down and pats the bear's neck. "Arktos and I will circle around to flush out our quarry towards you." with that, the rider and mount peel away from the rest. Urthask is finally rid of Aldern's incessant chattering.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Jun 8, 2016 10:11 pm
Urthask somehow almost gets himself lost and only manages to find his way back to the party with Arktos' help.

A couple hours later, following the boar's trail you can hear snorting in the distance, off to your right side. Aldern motions you to be quiet, "Sounds like we found our prey... perhaps one of you should circle behind the thing to make sure it doesn't escape.
Jun 9, 2016 8:33 pm
"Xandak and I will circle around and flank the beast." Gongar motions to Xandak to follow as he crouches through the bushes trying to circle around the boar.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Jun 9, 2016 8:34 pm
OOC:
Both of you roll Stealth
Jun 11, 2016 11:57 pm
Daire will try to spot the beast while it's being flanked, and readies his bow in case it spooks in his direction.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(2) + 6 = 8

readied attack - (1d20+3, 1d6)

1d20+3 : (14) + 3 = 17

1d6 : (2) = 2

Jun 13, 2016 4:40 pm
Xandak and Gongar attempt to sneak around to flank the boar, but the wind changes as it catches a smell of you. It tamps a hind hoof down, lowers its head, and begins a charge at Gongar.

Daire's arrow flies out from his bow, catching the boar in the side, not slowing it at all.

Shocked as Gongar and Xandak are, they don't have a chance to react before the boar is upon you. It lowers its snout a bit more as it's about to gore you, but catches a tusk on a root in the ground, causing it to go rolling end over end to slam into a tree about 10 feet away.
OOC:
Natural 1s are fun lol

Not a rule I normally use, but I thought this may be fun in this case

Players can now act as they wish

The boar is 10 feet away from Gongar and Xandak, but 60 feet from everyone else
load next

Thread locked