Chapter 2, Days 8-10

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 31, 2016 2:36 am
Day 8 - The Witchwood

The sun rises over the empty village of Drellen's Ferry. You use the kitchen in the abandoned inn to prepare yourselves a final, hearty meal, pack some salted meat, bead and mead as rations. Then, after resetting the boiling oil trap over the door into the inn as the innkeeper had instructed you to, you set out along the river into the depths of the Witchwood. Smoke on the horizon tells of the coming hoard, although based on the distance, Pawetha figures that the hoard just reached the skull gorge bridge. If anything is happening to them right now they are facing some resistance from the last of the forest giants in the Witchwood. Warklegnaw would be finding his honourable death soon, if he hadn't already succumb to the hoard by now.
Mar 31, 2016 2:37 am
You follow the river, guided by Pawetha through the dense woodland. The day is rather uneventful. You spy a tentacled plant beats on the shore of the river, and divert your path to avoid what you are assured would have been a harrowing encounter, but beyond that nothing of note occurs until the sun starts to sink below the trees. As the sky turns a dark red, Pawetha raises her hand instructing you to stop. She leans forward, listening carefully, then whispers, "Owlbear." and moments later not one, but two, owlbears meander through the trees. One perks up its head, sniffs at the air, then stares directly at you, before letting out a blood curdling SCREEEEEECH! and charging towards you...
OOC:
Player's won initiative! Lucky you!

Rolls

Random Encounter - (1d100)

(72) = 72

Random Encounter - (1d100)

(40) = 40

Evening Encounter - (1d100)

How many?! - (1d2)

Mar 31, 2016 3:10 am
Pawetha utters a soft guttural curse, then looks for the nearest climbable tree to ascend to a greater height. She does not want to tangle with this pair on the ground and would prefer pecking them with arrows from a distance.
OOC:
If possible, I'd like to Dash to reach the nearest tree and climb up to my allowed movement. Assuming I need Athletics for this.

Rolls

Athletics, with Inspiration - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

1d20+2 : (9) + 2 = 11

Mar 31, 2016 3:27 am
"Good idea, Paws!" I dash towards the treeline in an attempt to hide.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(10) + 6 = 16

Mar 31, 2016 3:29 am
Pawetha clambers up to the lowest sturdy branch of the nearest tree as Xara vanishes into the underbrush...
OOC:
Xara -- you can hide as a bonus action, so you could use your action + move if you wanted to do something else before hiding
Mar 31, 2016 3:32 am
"Hey ugly, over here! Come and get me!" I throw two daggers at the closest owlbear before disappearing into the trees.

Rolls

Attack 1 (with advantage due to Assassinate) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 1d4)

1d20+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

1d20+5 : (18) + 5 = 23

1d4 : (2) = 2

Attack 2 (with advantage due to Assassinate) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 1d4)

1d20+5 : (12) + 5 = 17

1d20+5 : (16) + 5 = 21

1d4 : (1) = 1

Sneak Attack damage! - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Mar 31, 2016 3:33 am
OOC:
For reference, how far up am I compared to a standing scary owlbear?
Mar 31, 2016 3:38 am
Two daggers flash from the bushes and strike the lead owlbear in the shoulders. It lets out a cry and redirects its charge towards the rogue...
OOC:
With an 11 Athletics, you're at the edge of their reach, they could claw, but could not beak, you.

Also, Xara, you get +Dex Modifier on damage, so you did 8 more damage than you reported!
Mar 31, 2016 8:12 am
With the one owlbear engaged with Xara, I go for the other. Brandishing shield and sword, I slash at the beast.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(12) + 6 = 18

Sword damage - (1d8+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Frost damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Mar 31, 2016 11:26 am
Kaiakas cuts across the beasts chest, the a trail of frost clinging to the air for a moment in the wake of his magical blade.
OOC:
Hit for 17 damage!

Ghunril, Corban and Zaris still to act before it's owlbear time
Mar 31, 2016 3:59 pm
Having never encountered an owlbear before in his life, Zaris lets out a gasp and retreats back into the woods to find as much cover as possible as he pulls his wand from his cloak. He takes aim at the creature near Kaiakas and lets loose the three icy-blue bolts of magical energy.
OOC:
I don't have access to the PHB to level up until I get back to Chicago so I will play out this at my current level.

Rolls

Magic missile - (1d4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Magic missile - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Magic missile - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Mar 31, 2016 10:37 pm
Seeing the Owlbear engaged with Kaiakas and the second charging after Xara, I Throw one of my spears at the second Owlbear and rush in and channel my Ki into a flurry of blows.
OOC:
Use 1 Ki to make 2 unarmed strikes as a bonus action

Rolls

Spear throw (attack, damage) - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (12) + 5 = 17

1d6+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Blow 1 - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (8) + 5 = 13

1d4+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Blow 2 - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

1d4+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Mar 31, 2016 11:19 pm
The magic missiles leap from Zaris' wand and slam into the owlbear, staggering it briefly. The dragonborn rushes to intervene on the owlbear that is charing Xara, throwing his spear into its side before unleashing a series of rapid punches and kicks. The owlbear is unaffected by the punches, but the wound with the spear bleeds profusely as the creature rears up to attack the monk...
OOC:
Gunril hit with the spear for 4 damage, and hit with the first flurry attack for 5 damage
Mar 31, 2016 11:43 pm
The owlbears each swing their massive claws at the fighters they are engaged with (10 vs Kaiakas AC, 14 Damage; 16 vs Ghunril AC, 12 Damage) followed by a powerful peck with their beaks (17 vs Kaiakas AC, 9 Damage; 22 vs Ghunril AC, 14 Damage).
OOC:
Player turn. Corban has 2x actions
Apr 1, 2016 12:11 am
I parry a sweeping claw but I don't expect the creatue's beak. It punctures a hole in my shoulder. I bring my blade down to its flesh in return, leaving a patch of frost on its fur.
Last edited April 1, 2016 12:13 am

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(11) + 6 = 17

Sword damage - (1d8+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Cold damage - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Apr 1, 2016 12:18 am
Perched on the tree branch, Pawetha unshoulders her bow and nocks an arrow. "That one," she whispers as she sights her mark on the owlbear that charged Xara and engaged Ghunril, and fires.
OOC:
Casting Hunter's Mark on Owlbear.

Are the two owlbears within 5' of each other? If yes, I would use Horde Breaker to make another attack on the second owlbear.

Rolls

Short bow vs owlbear - (1d20+8)

(19) + 8 = 27

Damage plus Hunter's Mark - (1d6+4, 1d6)

1d6+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

1d6 : (5) = 5

Apr 1, 2016 12:21 am
Kaiakas' blade cuts into the creatures hide leaving a nasty wound, and sealing it with frost.

Pawetha's arrow takes the owlbear in the claw.
OOC:
No, since Kaiakas counter-charged the one before it moved in closer they are about 15-20 apart
Apr 1, 2016 2:29 am
Having underestimated the owl bears strength Ghunril takes a savage paw to his chest and a cutting bite to his shoulder and falls to the ground motionless.

Rolls

Deathroll - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Apr 1, 2016 3:40 am
Not again! Must I save everyone? I take out my rapier and run back towards the owlbear standing over Ghunril, stabbing at it. I then disengage, and attempt to get the owlbear to come closer to me. If I can get this thing away from the new guy, I might be able to slip him a healing potion without getting smacked around too much. I bought all these healing potions and forgot to give them out! I knew I was supposed to do something before we left!

Rolls

Rapier - (1d20+6, 1d8+3)

1d20+6 : (16) + 6 = 22

1d8+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Apr 1, 2016 9:58 pm
These creatures are too strong for us!" Zaris mumbles to himself as he puts his wand into his cloak. He reaches into his pack and withdraws a small vial filled with sand of mixed color. He moves himself towards the owlbear he had just attacked and blows the grains into the air towards it. "Thelen tii azereeth!" he commands as a stream of red, yellow, and blue light blinds the area.

Rolls

Color spray. Total hit points blinded. p. 222 - (6d10)

(8595710) = 44

Apr 4, 2016 6:14 pm
Corban snaps out of his hesitation and dashes toward the two owl bears, standing over Ghunril to keep the prone dragonborn safe.
He wields his longsword in one hand and swings viciously at the beast.
OOC:
I'll attack twice, so my two turns in a row. I'll pop a shield spell for +4AC if the beast retaliates.

Rolls

Attack w/longsword - (1D20+8)

(5) + 8 = 13

Dam - (1D8+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Attack 2 - (1D20+8)

(4) + 8 = 12

Attack 2 dam - (1D8+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

Apr 6, 2016 1:14 pm
Xara steps up and stabs the owlbear in the eye, and as she does so Corban strides up beside her and lops its head off in two quick strikes. The other owlbear howls as Zaris flings blinding light into its eyes, turns and flees into the woods.
OOC:
Kai, opportunity attack. Make two to make up for you not getting an action in this round.
Apr 6, 2016 1:24 pm
Seeing one of the creatures flee after the death of the other, I give a deep sigh and lower my sword as I turn to my companions. "Is anyone hurt?"
OOC:
No need for the attack, but thanks.
Apr 6, 2016 1:48 pm
"Kaiakas, over here. Ghunril could use some help." I look him over to see how bad the wounds are.
Last edited April 6, 2016 4:19 pm

Rolls

Medicine check - (1d20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Apr 6, 2016 4:00 pm
"Move!" says Pawetha, hopping from her perch to run over to the dragonborn. She slides to her knees at Ghunril's side and places her hand on his snout, whispering a request to Baervan to extend his blessings upon this distant relative of a forest lizard.
OOC:
Casting Cure Wounds on Ghunril for 1d8+2 HP
Apr 6, 2016 4:23 pm
Ghunril's eyes open as healing light washes over and closes his wounds.
Apr 6, 2016 4:44 pm
As soon as his eyes are open, I shove a healing potion into his hands. "Here you go! Let's try to stay alive, shall we?"
Apr 6, 2016 4:50 pm
Barely getting two steps in, I smile at Paw's exuberance and assistance. With the conclusion of our little skirmish, I notice my own wounds and heal them. "Are we ready to continue?"

Rolls

Cure Wounds - (1d8+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Apr 6, 2016 5:24 pm
Pawetha sighs in relief as Ghunril stabilizes. "Owlbears," she says again, in a tone indicating the group should have understood her meaning. "Figured you all would have tried to find cover or distance. Just one is enough reason to do anything else but stand your ground. Two? Probably find better odds against a single dragon."
Apr 6, 2016 5:34 pm
I shrug. "They're all the same to me."
Apr 6, 2016 6:07 pm
"Perhaps it would be wise to have Pawetha scout ahead so we aren't surprised like this again?" the wizard muses aloud.
Apr 6, 2016 6:07 pm
"I definitely underestimated their battle prowess. Must have been all the feathers. Thank you for saving my life." Ghunril nods at each of his companions and slowly stands up, checking his side and shoulder for any restriction on his movement.

"What should we do with that?" Ghunril points at the Owlbears corpse and then stows the healing potion in his pack.
Apr 6, 2016 6:13 pm
Pawetha folds her arms and hmphs. "I was scouting," she mumbles. "Told you what it was before it got here, didn't I?"
Apr 6, 2016 6:18 pm
I search the owlbear's body for anything useful. I also take some feathers as mementos.
Last edited April 6, 2016 6:18 pm
Apr 6, 2016 6:45 pm
Xara finds it to be a well fed, muscled, feathered, beast. Useful only, perhaps, as food, now.
Apr 7, 2016 12:40 am
"Umm, yes. You let us know what it was. How lucky for us," Zaris says with a slight tinge of sarcasm. "I certainly don't mean to be rude, but a surprise like that could kill one of us."
Apr 7, 2016 12:46 am
"Certainly, your honor," says Pawetha, cheeks puffed with hands on her hips. "I shall prepare a dossier for you to look over documenting the various capabilities of the beast we encounter so you can properly decide the proper course of action to undertake. Perhaps a manual of monsters, with pretty pictures?"
Apr 7, 2016 1:13 am
OOC:
:p
"Ah-hem!" I give a stern glance to the grumbling duo. "Thank you, Pawetha, for the warning. We would be wise to react more quickly to your warnings, I think."
Apr 7, 2016 2:14 am
"I most certainly will next time you name a creature i haven't encountered before."
Apr 7, 2016 2:27 am
I give Paws a shrug. "They're new to this. Should we continue?"
Apr 7, 2016 2:34 am
Pawetha looks at the ground, cheeks flush. "I'm... sorry," she says, quietly. "I... forget sometimes... that being a guide means doing more than just carving a trail."

The ranger turns away from the group and continues north, touching an arm to her face only briefly.
Apr 9, 2016 4:54 pm
"I don't mean to be harsh, but I have read much about tracking in the woods in my days in the Academy. Book knowledge can be useful as well," the wizard replies.
Apr 9, 2016 9:07 pm
"Zaris, that's all well and good if it keeps us and you alive. You got any info that's going to help us right now?"
Apr 10, 2016 11:45 pm
Zaris looks down, face becoming just the slightest shade of red. No, I'm afraid not. My apologies to you all." He takes the potion and smiles. "Thank you for your kindness."
Last edited April 11, 2016 6:56 pm
Apr 11, 2016 12:34 am
I hand him Zaris a healing potion. "Here, take this. Let's all keep moving. We'll have plenty to discuss when we're somewhere safe. And cheer up! We can handle anything! We just need to work together!" Geez, I thought Kaiakas was the only downer in the group.
Last edited April 11, 2016 1:30 am
Apr 11, 2016 12:59 am
Hearing Xara's comment, I turn my head slightly with one raised eyebrow. Not saying anything, I shrug and go about my business.
Apr 11, 2016 3:25 pm
Day 10

The next few days pass without event, mostly thanks to Pawetha's keen senses and woodland knowledge, the group is able to avoid significant conflicts with other creatures of the woods. Sitting in a small clearing, making breakfast over an equally small cook fire, the discussion turns to the course of action. During the previous day's hiking the ground has grown softer as you've neared the Blackfens. By the map, if you head due north east you will arrive at the place where the red hand has set up a roadblock on the Rhest Trail. On the other hand, if you go due north, a day and a half of travel across the Blackfens will take you to the ruins of Rhest.
Apr 11, 2016 6:55 pm
Sipping on his tea, Zaris looks out to the north and ponders what state the ruins of Rhest would be in. "A road block set up means the Rend Hand most likely have scouts in the area. Perhaps avoiding that and making towards Rhest is our best course of action." He puts his tea down and looks over at the others. "Your thoughts my friends?"
Apr 11, 2016 7:02 pm
The gnome spends some time away from the main group, crouched in the undergrowth. Her eyes flit along the canopy, looking for a bird or other small creature native to these woods.
OOC:
Hoping to find a willing candidate for Speak with Small Beasts. Perhaps they have knowledge of the area, specifically Rhest or the roadblock.
Apr 11, 2016 7:08 pm
"Agreed Zaris, bolstering our small band with the elves of Rhest will make the assault on the roadblock much easier." Ghunril finishes stirring the pot and looks over to Kaikas and Xara, "Do you feel the same or should we gather some info on roadblock to take as much info to the elves as possible?"
Apr 11, 2016 7:16 pm
"You can never go wrong with more intel." I devour the small creature being roasted over the campfire. It tastes delicious, whatever it is.
Last edited April 11, 2016 7:41 pm
Apr 11, 2016 7:23 pm
Pawetha finds herself a small bird, a small brown wren of some kind. It chirps as the druid approaches, but does not flee, allowing Pawetha the time to incant her spell and communicate with the little creature... in response to her inquiry the bird chirps, its sound cheery but, as Pawetha can understand its meaning, the message is far from pleasant, "Scary beasts. Scaled. Invade the wet place. Big block on road. Many thick skinned humans. Very big one too."
Apr 11, 2016 7:35 pm
Pawetha offers the wren a bit of food, and trills her thanks. She crawls out from the undergrowth on all fours to rejoin the party and relay her new-found information.

"Seems like the roadblock's got some power, but Rhest isn't much easier by the sounds of it," she says, rising to her feet at the edge of the clearing. The earth streaks her face like natural camouflage, especially given the way she absently smears it across her cheeks with a forearm. "Something reptilian, a number of them, have taken up residence in the ruins. Wherever the elves are, they're not at Rhest."
Apr 11, 2016 8:09 pm
This is disappointing news," the wizard says upon hearing of the reptiles. "Any idea where my fellow elves would retreat to in these parts if threatened Pawetha?"
Apr 11, 2016 8:21 pm
Pawetha considers. "No," she says. "But I'll try to find out."

With that, the gnome dives into the undergrowth once again, belly-crawling this way and that until she finds her small animal friends to ask where the elves reside.
Apr 11, 2016 8:31 pm
"We may find many enemies at the roadblock. It could just be a few downed trees. Perhaps we should find out."
Apr 11, 2016 9:02 pm
The bird chirps, "The helpful pointy earned ones live everywhere!"
Apr 11, 2016 9:10 pm
Pawetha twitters with glee! "Are they near, watching us? We would like to meet them. Maybe they'll help us get rid of the beasts in the wet place!"
Apr 11, 2016 10:48 pm
The bird chirps back, happy to have someone to converse with, 'No, they stay to the wet ground.'
Apr 11, 2016 11:30 pm
Pawetha rewards the bird for the information with another morsel, and returns to the party in the same manner as before. "The Blackfens," she says, pointing north. "We'll have to cross it regardless on the way to Rhest, so hopefully we'll come across one of their border patrols."
Apr 12, 2016 12:38 am
"Yes, that does make sense," Zaris says looking towards the north again. "I have a cousin twice removed on my mother's side that had moved out into the marshes to cultivate the plant antheres pontificoneis, useful in the concoction of healing potions."A wide smile crosses his face. "We may be reunited!" he exclaims cheerfully.
Apr 12, 2016 4:56 am
"Zaris, what are you talking about? Are we leaving?" I could've sworn we had something that needed doing now. "Where are we going?"
Apr 12, 2016 12:05 pm
"Xara, we need numbers. The elves can provide that. Besides, we need to get to Rhest anyway!" he replies.
Apr 12, 2016 3:23 pm
"Can we at least finish our breakfast or did someone light a fire under your seat that I didn't notice? Though I do agree that seeking the ad of the elves is the best course of action."
Apr 12, 2016 3:53 pm
Pawetha scratches inside her tunic at an itch, though secretly clasping the tucked bit of fleece. She points at Zaris and asks casually, "You mean that fire?"

There are flames directly under Zaris' seat, licking up from the ground.

Rolls

Sleight of Hand (Minor Illusion) - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Apr 12, 2016 8:30 pm
"Look, we need to help these people before its too late and if we don't-" Zaris stops mid sentence as he looks down at the flames covering his lower body. "Oh no, oh no, oh no!" he screams before running away from the camp, stopping, dropping, and rolling around thrashing about violently.
Apr 12, 2016 10:37 pm
"Huh." I casually check to make sure that I am not also on fire before looking back at Zaris. "Is he alright? Should we help him?"
Apr 12, 2016 10:45 pm
Pawetha doubles over and falls to her back in laughter. Perhaps the first time she has laughed in a long while.
Apr 12, 2016 11:14 pm
"Someone help me!" the wizard screams.
Apr 12, 2016 11:52 pm
Lying on her back and having enjoyed her fun, Pawetha dismisses the flames with a raised fist and thumbs-up.
Apr 13, 2016 11:49 am
The flames having died down, Zaris begins to appreciate what has happened to him. He looks over at the laughing gnome and cracks the slightest bit of a smile. "Amusing," he says before getting up, dusting himself off, and then retreating to a near by tree. He sits himself down, pulls out a book and proceeds to sulk.
Apr 15, 2016 3:44 am
I grin at Paws, and find a comfortable spot in the grass to kick up my heels, relax and wait for everyone else to finish their breakfast. Today is a good day.
Apr 15, 2016 4:10 am
Ghunril slowly removes the pot from the cook fire and places it on the rock ring around the fire making sure that it won't tip over in his absence. As he stands he shoots a frustrated glare at Paws and walks over to where Zaris is sitting. After crouching so he is more even with the seated mage he says, "If I had know she was going to cast the illusion I would not have made the joke. My apologies."
Apr 15, 2016 7:41 pm
"No apology necessary," Zaris replies. "Given our situation, a little levity probably isn't such a bad thing." He grimaces slightly. "Do you think this is even a battle we can win?" he asks in all seriousness.
Apr 16, 2016 1:20 am
Her morning mirth well and done, Pawetha begins to break down her bedroll and gather her equipment. Once breakfast is served, it will be time to break camp and continue on the hard trek across the marsh.
Apr 16, 2016 9:28 am
Having woken early, I went on my own for prayer and meditation. Filled with a sense of divine purpose and a bit of self-righteousness, I come back to the others feeling as though I've miss something, maybe a joke. Whatever it is, no one brings it up so I dismiss it as I gather my things.
Apr 16, 2016 7:36 pm
"I do think we can win this war. we have moved the vale to a safer place and given warning to the militia's in the area so they will be more prepared than the Red Hand expected, so not so easily swept over. Come, let us finish breakfast and find your Kin." Ghunril motions toward the group and starts back toward the fire.
Apr 18, 2016 3:23 pm
"I do hope you're right Ghundril," the wizard replies walking along side, head held high scanning the horizon.
Apr 20, 2016 9:43 pm
The group finishes breakfast and packs up the camp before heading north towards the Black Fens. The forest slowly gives way to the marsh as the ground underfoot slowly changes from solid to thick and muddy. It takes effort to pick a path that doesn't have you suddenly knee deep in muck or swamp water, but through Pawetha's guidance you manage without much trouble. As the sun begins to reach the horizon, the sky turning a dark and ominous red, the stench of death reaches your nostrils.

A low, mossy island of mud and peat protrudes from the marsh waters ahead. Two gnarled trees grow fitfully on the rugged ground, and sprawled across their turgid roots is the ruined and bloody remains of a horse-sized owl. The once-magnificent bird's body has been partially dissolved in places, and swaths of foul, dark green fluid still sizzle and pop, eating away at exposed flesh and bone.
Apr 20, 2016 10:32 pm
Pawetha stifles a curse. She glances around, mindful of where she steps lest the apparent acidic fluid touch her. The ranger inspects the remains to determine the nature of the wounds and perhaps where the creature came from.

Rolls

Nature on Owl - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Investigation on Scene - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Apr 21, 2016 12:06 am
Observing the scene, I sneer. "It smells of death here." Noting the dead bird, I look around. "We should not stay."
Apr 21, 2016 12:45 am
Pawetha examines the scene, but to her dismay cannot identify what killed the giant owl. The caustic poison seems like nothing she has seen before, and the owl is covered in deep lacerations that suggest a serrated weapon of some sort.
Apr 21, 2016 12:57 am
"So much has been dissolved. Can't tell if it was hunted for food, or sport," laments Pawetha. She looks around idly, "There are supposed to be scaly things that have invaded this area; I wonder if this is related."
Apr 21, 2016 4:01 pm
"Can you elaborate on 'Scaly things'? Scaly like me?" Ghunril gestures at himself. "Or scaly like in things we probably don't want to run into standing knee deep in water?"
Apr 21, 2016 4:38 pm
Zaris draws his sword and turns 360 degrees to scan the area around them. "That ooze is incredibly dangerous and caustic to be causing damage like that. Don't anyone touch it." The wizard, though, does approach the owl's body and bends over, covering his mouth with his left hand to examine the ooze closer.

Rolls

Arcana check - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Apr 21, 2016 4:45 pm
Pawetha shrugs to the dragonborn. "The forest tells me there are scaly things," she says. "Invaders of the wet place. I'm gonna guess it means something non-native to the marshland, so... maybe?"
Apr 21, 2016 4:48 pm
"We should probably keep moving. We're out in the open here. Not that I mind a fight, but I'd rather go to one instead of having one come to us, ya know?"
Apr 21, 2016 4:59 pm
Zaris examines the acidic poison and just as he starts to formulate a hypothesis about what it might be something moves in the thick weeds just on the other side of the peat and moss hill that the giant owl corpse is on... Then, almost as if Xara's remarks were prophetic of the next moment, a scaly green creature bursts from the water and launches itself at Zaris with incredible speed. The creature looks like some kind of dragon, but not like any kind of dragon you've ever seen. it lacks forearms, only having a pair of wings which is beats against the air as it half flies, half charges, across the intervening space. It's scales are pointed outward in places, which might be the source of the serration wounds on the giant owl...

It reaches Zaris with incredible speed and unleashes a flurry of attacks, slicing at him with the 'arm' part of its wing (3 vs AC) and following up by lashing out at him with its whip-like tail which is also covered in the upraised scales (15 vs AC; 7 Damage).

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/d20sea/images/e/e7/Monster_GreenspawnRazorfien.png/revision/latest?cb=20111009075324
OOC:
Player turn! Zaris is engaged with it, everyone else is at 'short range' (so, between 10 and 15 feet away as it suits you)
Apr 21, 2016 5:09 pm
I take out my daggers and throw them at the dragon-thing, before diving for cover in the trees.
OOC:
Using dash or hide, whichever is appropriate.

Rolls

Dagger 1 - (1d20+6, 1d4+4)

1d20+6 : (17) + 6 = 23

1d4+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

Dagger 2 - (1d20+6, 1d4+4)

1d20+6 : (20) + 6 = 26

1d4+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Crit damage - (1d4)

(2) = 2

Apr 21, 2016 5:11 pm
Pawetha almost arches her back as she hisses and leaps away from the charging dragon-thing. Her bow is readied and she marks her target before releasing her arrow.
OOC:
Moving as far back as possible up to 25 feet, casting Hunter's Mark, firing an arrow.

Rolls

Shortbow vs Scales, Damage, Hunter's Mark - (1d20+8, 1d6+4, 1d6)

1d20+8 : (20) + 8 = 28

1d6+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

1d6 : (2) = 2

Critical - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Apr 21, 2016 5:12 pm
Both daggers sink into it's hide, slipping beneath several of the raised scales. Xara steps back a few paces and slips behind a group of trees growing from another mossy ridge, hoping that the dragon-thing doesn't notice her.
Apr 21, 2016 6:09 pm
I rush in to the defense of Zaris and attack with a spear, focusing my Ki I unleash a flurry of blows with my elbow and knees.
OOC:
I'll use 1 Ki for the flurry of blows.

Rolls

Spear attack - (1d20+5, 1D6+3)

1d20+5 : (19) + 5 = 24

1D6+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Elbow (1st flurry attack) - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (19) + 5 = 24

Knee (2nd Flurry attack) - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

1d4+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Apr 21, 2016 8:32 pm
The wizard screams out in terror as the creature slashes out at him. He manages to stumble backwards and drop to the ground as the razor-sharp claws just miss cutting up his face. He swings his sword across his body hoping to keep the beast back before it can attack at him again.
Last edited April 21, 2016 8:33 pm

Rolls

Short sword attack - (1d20-1)

(9) - 1 = 8

Slashing damage - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Apr 22, 2016 8:08 am
OOC:
How big is the creature?
Not all that surprised by something attacking us, I slice at the creature's hide.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Sword damage - (1d8+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Frost damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Apr 22, 2016 12:36 pm
Pawetha steps back and looses an arrow, which buries itself in the creature's chest. As she does so, Ghunril and Kaiakas rush to Zaris' aid and unleash a frenzied series of attacks while Zaris steps back and swings to protect himself. Ghunril plunges his spear into its side before delivering a sharp elbow to its jaw, shattering something in its face. The follow up knee doesn't phase the creature as the monk strikes a thick patch of scales. Kaiakas and Zaris both miss the creature as it tries to evade the monk's assault and dodges and weaves around attacks with startling speed.

The creature hops back a half step and its throat bulges out for a moment before it launches a spray of corrosive poison at the three fighters engaging it in melee.
OOC:
Damage total: 29

It's large size.

Constitution save from Kaiakas, Ghunril and Zaris please! Also, it's player turn.
Apr 22, 2016 12:48 pm
I attempt to shoot at the dragon-thing with my bow. Paws makes it look easy!

Rolls

Short bow attack - (1d20+4, 1d6)

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d6 : (6) = 6

Apr 22, 2016 4:50 pm
Pawetha crouches to steady herself and fires another arrow, keeping her aim up to avoid hitting those in melee.

Rolls

Shortbow Attack, Damage - (1d20+8, 1d6+4)

1d20+8 : (19) + 8 = 27

1d6+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Apr 22, 2016 5:05 pm
After my blade slices thin air, I reflexively try to cover my face with my arm.

Rolls

Constitution save - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Apr 22, 2016 11:03 pm
Trying to avoid the spray Ghunril attacks again with his spear and fist and channels his Ki again expecting the beast to attack with claw and fang.
OOC:
Using 1 Ki for "Patient Defense" - Dodge as a bonus action
Failed Con save, took 8 damage for poison damage resistance, but have poison condition.
Last edited April 26, 2016 6:18 am

Rolls

Constitution check - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Spear attack - (1d20+5, 1D6+3)

1d20+5 : (18) + 5 = 23

1D6+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Punch - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

1d4+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Apr 25, 2016 11:38 am
Zaris can smell the poison as the creature takes its deep breath in. The mage quickly swings his cloak over his face and tries to turn away as quickly as he can.
OOC:
I made my CON save in the OOC thread. 19+2 = 21
Apr 25, 2016 1:03 pm
OOC:
Oops, I forgot to add the con save details: DC 13, on a failure take 16 Poison Damage and gain the Poisoned Condition (you have Disadvantage on attack rolls, and may make another Con save at the end of your turn to remove the condition), on a success take half damage and do not gain the condition.
Apr 26, 2016 3:46 pm
Zaris lets out a muffled scream as the poison oozes its way through his cloak. He can feel its corrosive touch across his shoulders. Luckily he is able to keep his head turned. He quickly pulls the wand from his belt loop, whips his cloak open and fires at the creature from close range. As soon as the bolts hit the dragon-like beast, he turns and runs as fast as he can hoping to find some cover.

Rolls

MM 1 - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

MM2 - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

MM3 - (1d4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Apr 26, 2016 4:28 pm
Feeling none too worse for wear, I silently thank Tyr and slash at the creature once more.
Last edited April 26, 2016 4:35 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(15) + 6 = 21

Long sword damage - (1d8+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Frost damage - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Apr 28, 2016 1:28 pm
The party lays into the beast, with arrow, blade and fist, it's hide is scratched and bludgeoned. Green fluid seeps from the myriad wounds that now cover its body, but this only seems to have made it angrier. It lunges at the unarmored monk, sweeping its wing-arms in front of it (7 vs AC and 19 vs AC; 12 Damage and you take 5 damage at the start of your turn (you may make a Con save, DC 12, at the end of your turn to end this effect)). As its arms sweep forward, the scales along them snap outward to create a sharp and serrated edge...
OOC:
Player turn
Apr 28, 2016 2:10 pm
Fortune favors the sharpest knife, or something along those lines? I can't remember. In either case, I run back towards that beast, grab my rapier and attempt to sink the pointy end into its back.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+6, 1d8+3)

1d20+6 : (9) + 6 = 15

1d8+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Apr 28, 2016 2:59 pm
Reaching a safer distance, Zaris turns and fires more orbs of energy at the creature, gasping for breath as he does so.

Rolls

MM 1 - (1d4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

MM 2 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

MM 3 - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Apr 28, 2016 3:17 pm
Seeing the creature go after my unarmored friend, I move beside Ghunril (Fighting Style gives Disadvantage to attacking creature). "By Tyr's hand!" A spark of light shines in my eyes as I swing my blade at the beast's bulk.
OOC:
Casting Thunderous Smite (bonus action). Creature must make Strength save vs 13 or be pushed 10 ft away and knocked prone.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Long sword damage - (1d8+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Cold damage - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Thunder damage - (2d6)

(65) = 11

Apr 28, 2016 3:48 pm
As the monster is still engaged in melee, Pawetha again moves laterally to keep it guessing where the ranged attacks are coming from. She drops to her knee to steady herself and fires another arrow.

Rolls

1d20+8 : (7) + 8 = 15

1d6+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d6 : (3) = 3

Apr 29, 2016 5:14 pm
Ghunril, seeing his allies moving in, feints and draws the creatures attention away from the others. Then channels his Ki again to ward off the oncoming attacks.
OOC:
Feinting an attack to give Kaiakas advantage. Using 1 Ki for "Patient Defense" (dodge as a bonus action).
Last edited May 1, 2016 5:34 pm

Rolls

Poison Check (constitution) - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

May 2, 2016 3:06 pm
Blade, ice, magic and arrow pelt the creature. Thick, dark green blood oozes from its mouth and the many wounds on its body, but its rage and aggression do not slow even as it is brought nearer to death. It lunges at the paladin with the cold blade, finding the monk too difficult a target (7 vs AC and 19 vs AC; 12 Damage and you take 5 damage at the start of your turn (you may make a Con save, DC 12, at the end of your turn to end this effect).
OOC:
The attacks is against Kaiakas.
Ghunril saves against the poison, and is no longer at Disadvantage.
Kaiakas has Advantage on his next attack,

Player turn.
May 2, 2016 3:33 pm
Zaris quickly pulls a small piece of fleece from his pockets and tosses it into the air. Enthren della'z afloonteer!" he exclaims. As the fleece floats towards the creature it begins swirling into a mist it creates. A moment later, the space in front of the creature forms into a ten foot red dragon, smoke and fire swirling around it. "I sure hope this works," Zaris whispers to himself.
OOC:
Casting Phantasmal Force. Creature must make an INT saving throw or believe the dragon is real.
Last edited May 2, 2016 3:34 pm
May 2, 2016 3:48 pm
The dragon-like beast...
OOC:
What's the asve DC?

Rolls

Int Save - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

May 2, 2016 4:02 pm
Pawetha steps away from the illusory dragon in the hopes of remaining out of the green dragon-thing's view. She fires another arrow to whittle the monster down.

Rolls

1d20+8 : (11) + 8 = 19

1d6+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

1d6 : (5) = 5

May 2, 2016 4:04 pm
Seeing the beast attack Kaiakas, Ghunril takes the opportunity to strike with spear and fist. This beast must be put down! Ghunril thinks to himself.
Last edited May 2, 2016 4:04 pm

Rolls

Spear attack - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

1d6+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Fist attack - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (6) + 5 = 11

May 2, 2016 4:10 pm
I attempt to run or climb up the back of the dragony thing and stab it in its back.

Rolls

Acrobatics? - (1d20+6)

(18) + 6 = 24

Attack - (1d20+6, 1d8+3)

1d20+6 : (9) + 6 = 15

1d8+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

Sneak attack damage? - (1d6)

(1) = 1

May 2, 2016 5:57 pm
Candi says:
The dragon-like beast...
OOC:
What's the asve DC?
OOC:
My spell save: 16 I believe.
May 2, 2016 6:24 pm
With coordinated effort between Ghundril and myself, I slash at an opening in the creature's defenses.I

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Attack - advantage - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Cold damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Sword damage - (1d8+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Con save - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

May 4, 2016 1:19 pm
As the dragon appears the creature stops for a moment, the roars with a renewed vigour, as if encouraged by the presence of the illusory dragon.

Pawetha's arrow slams into its side, and Kaiakas slashes it with his blade as the wound on his arm flares up (Kai failed the save, so he takes 5 Damage at the start of his turn, and every turn until he succeeds on a DC 12 con save). Xara tries to leap on its back, and she gets a foot down, but as she tries to stab it, it reels up and bucks her off. She lands with a graceful roll and pops back to her feet beside the creature. Ghunril strikes and stabs at it, but his attacks can't find purchase against the creatures hearty hide.

It lets out another roar, then charges at Zaris - giving the foes surrounding it a chance to strike...
OOC:
Kai, Ghunril and Xara - opportunity attacks if you like; then I'll resume the creature's turn
May 4, 2016 1:40 pm
Sensing a golden opportunity, I stab at a fleshier part of the hide.

Rolls

AOO - (1d20+6, 1d8+3)

1d20+6 : (1) + 6 = 7

1d8+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

May 4, 2016 2:33 pm
Sensing this may be my last chance to take the creature down, I take what could be my final swing at the creature.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Sword damage - (1d8+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Cold damage - (1d6)

(3) = 3

May 4, 2016 3:08 pm
Seeing the beasts attention turn elsewhere Ghunril uses both hands to stab with his spear.

Rolls

Spear Attack (two handed) - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d8+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

May 4, 2016 3:21 pm
"No, no, no, no!" exclaims Zaris as the creature strides towards him. He drops into a crouch and prepares to leap to one side when the beast is within range.
OOC:
Taking the Dodge action on my next turn if possible.
May 4, 2016 5:03 pm
As the beast drops its defenses and charges the wizard, Xara, Kaiakas and Ghunril take advantage of the opening... Xara's blade deflects off the creatures hide, and Ghunril's spear pierces the air where the creature had been a moment before... but Kaiakas' blade finds the creatures throat and cuts across it in a flash of frost. The creature's momentum carries it forward and Zaris rolls out of the way in a panic, avoiding being crushed by the dead weight of the now-dead creature. It lays on the ground, twitching a little as the murky water around it slowly grows black with its blood.
May 4, 2016 5:18 pm
Pawetha nocks another arrow, scanning the waters for signs of another dragon-thing. Having seen this beast rise up out the water, the ranger squirrels away the memory in the hopes that it could avoid another ambush. She rejoins the group.
OOC:
Where's everyone at, HP wise?
May 4, 2016 5:50 pm
Unable to summon the strength to stand after my last swing, I kneel in the muck. A half smile crosses my face before my sword and shield slip out of my hand and I collapse.
OOC:
After failing that save again I'm at -2 hp. Death save, right?
OOC:
Woohoo! Unconscious but stable.
Last edited May 4, 2016 5:55 pm

Rolls

Con save - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Death Save - (1d20)

(11) = 11

May 4, 2016 5:54 pm
"Whew, I thought for a sec that it would scratch me for sure!" I dust off my clothes and pick up my daggers from the ground before turning towards Paws. "Say, you think this one could make some nice armor too?
May 4, 2016 5:58 pm
Pawetha immediately slides to her knees at Kaiakas' side, placing her hand on the tiefling's face. The gnome's hand glows lightly as she whispers a blessing of Baervan and Cures his Wounds. Then she slaps Kaiakas across the cheek.

Rolls

Cure Wounds - (1d8+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

May 4, 2016 6:21 pm
Healed by Paws, I take a gasping breath an instant before a slap across my cheek sends a flush of anger through me. My arm jerks up into the air to retaliate against whoever dared strike me. Recognizing my "attacker" as my savior, I freeze with my hand above my chest. After a brief, awkward moment, I slowly lower my hand onto my body and close my eyes as a soft golden light envelopes me, closing most of my wounds.
Making my way to my feet, I shake hands with Paws, smiling. "Thank you."
OOC:
Using Lay on Hands to heal myself for 20 points. I don't suppose this whole thing cancels out the poisoned effect, huh?
Last edited May 4, 2016 6:21 pm
May 4, 2016 6:27 pm
OOC:
Falling unconscious ended the ongoing damage, so you're ok now!
May 4, 2016 6:56 pm
"You're starting to develop a bad habit," huffs Pawetha, recalling the previous encounter at Skull Gorge Bridge. "Pretty soon it'll be night-night for the knight-knight." She uses the outstretched hand of Kaiakas to stand.

The ranger approaches the corpse of the dragon-thing and at Xara's words, begins to inspect the body. Not only to determine what could be made of its hide and parts, but the nature of the beast itself.
Last edited May 4, 2016 6:57 pm

Rolls

Nature - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Nature (inspiration) - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

May 4, 2016 8:19 pm
Zaris rises from the ground to dust himself off. He walks past the dead creature and examines it closely. "What is this thing?" he asks aloud. He leans over its head and pulls back one of the eye lids to look more closely.

Rolls

Arcana check for ID of the creature - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

May 4, 2016 8:25 pm
The ranger's words give me pause. I have come close to meeting Tyr more than once. I begin to wonder if I'm being wreckless.

"It is dead. That is what matters." I look down at the corpse with disdain before going to Ghundril. "Are you injured?
May 4, 2016 8:30 pm
"Besides the abating effects of the poison, no. I have never seen such a beast even though it seems we share some commonality." Ghunril walks up to the beast and starts helping identify anything that might be useful on the creature.
OOC:
I'm at 16/24 HP due to the poison blast
May 4, 2016 8:55 pm
Both Pawetha and Zaris are at a loss to identify the creature. It has some features of a dragon-kin; the scales, the wings, the shape of its nose... but, the serrated scales and the lack of forelegs distinct from its wings are not features of any dragons that either have heard of, encountered or read about. There's almost no salvageable hide, and its bones, upon closer inspection, seem rather frail - hollow, like a birds. Good for its ability to fly, perhaps, but no good for making more than a decoration or trinket out of.
May 4, 2016 8:57 pm
I break off a piece of bone and add it to my necklace of trinkets.
May 4, 2016 9:04 pm
Having just experienced the poison, I call upon the healing power of Tyr without hesitation.

Rolls

Cure Wounds - (1d8+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

May 4, 2016 9:08 pm
As the healing power washes over Ghunril, he shrugs his shoulders resettling himself now that some of the pain is gone. He nods to Kaiakas "Thank you my friend."
May 4, 2016 9:28 pm
"Maybe next time we come across one of those I should go in first? This head-on approach is not working so well for you all."
May 4, 2016 10:51 pm
"It ambushed us from the water," observes Pawetha. "Whether it heard or saw us, it can likely hold its breath for a long time. I'd warrant that it might have been responsible for the owl kill and was lying in wait." She shrugs, however, to indicate that it's purely speculation based on her observations of other animal life.
May 4, 2016 10:54 pm
Not seeing a point in such a discussion, I keep an eye out for other dangers as I wait for everyone to be ready to move on.
May 4, 2016 11:04 pm
"Well, we're still alive, so we must be doing something right! Where to next?"
May 4, 2016 11:16 pm
"We need to find the elves, who should be around here," says Pawetha, looking up at the sky and around the marsh. She looks around for a Small Beast she can chat with.
May 5, 2016 11:54 am
Zaris moves to stand next to Kaiakas scanning the horizon himself. "Do you reckon this is the only one?" he asks quietly. "I have an unnerving feeling that these things travel in groups." He pulls out his wand and twirls it around in his hand. "We need to find the elves, and we need to find them soon," he says to the group.
May 5, 2016 1:12 pm
"I think if we stay here, there will be more." I nod in agreement with Zaris. "We need to leave. Find the elves of this land."
May 5, 2016 1:37 pm
You hear a strange rush of wind and see soaring overhead five giant owls like the one that lies dead in the clearing. Each bears a rider- a dark-haired elf wearing leather armour dyed green and brown to match the colours of the marsh. The flying elves circle the area twice, and then alight next to the slain owl. They study you with narrowed eyes. Then one speaks. "Who are you?" he demands, "What are you doing in the marsh?"
May 5, 2016 1:50 pm
"Trying to find you, actually! Or the elven settlement, that is. We're looking for allies. Not sure if you've heard, but we have a goblin problem. And a dragon problem. This owl thing was dead when we got here."
Last edited May 5, 2016 4:08 pm
May 5, 2016 3:55 pm
Pawetha expected a smaller beast, but shows no disappointment as she spies the giant owls appearing like silent ghosts. Rather, her expression is one of mixed wonderment and jealousy. She pays no mind to the speaking elves and spends her time admiring the owls from where she stands by the dragon-thing's corpse.
May 5, 2016 4:24 pm
The elf straightens, as if to emphasize that he is taller than Xara, "We've our own problems here, we don't need self-serving adventurers getting themselves killed in the marsh."
May 5, 2016 4:32 pm
"Master Elf, as you can see we are far from dead, unlike the beast that killed one of your mighty steads. And if the goblin horde that Xara mentioned isn't dealt with, there will be far more than this one casualty in the marshes." Ghunril bows to the Elf, "I am Ghunril of Clan Ophinshtalajiir, I joined my comrades at Drelin's Ferry when the oncoming horde blocked my path back to my clan. We have come seeking your help in removing a road block the horde established east of here.

May we have the benefit of your name?"

Rolls

Diplomacy - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

May 5, 2016 4:33 pm
"Ghunril saw the army with his own eyes! We're talking about an organized horde of goblins and other nasties. Allied with dragons. I killed one of them but who knows how many more there are!"
Last edited May 5, 2016 4:35 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

May 5, 2016 4:43 pm
Pawetha briefly takes her eyes off the majestic owls to look at the elf. The group seems to be handling the diplomatic part well enough to not need her involvement, and her own rough-and-tumble attitude would likely frighten the elves off (to her mind). She approaches the gathering, steering herself to proximity and vantage to admire the owls once again.

The ranger doesn't know if these giant owls are anything like their smaller cousins and can understand her, but she breathlessly whispers under her breath, "...you're pretty..."
May 5, 2016 7:35 pm
Hoping to improve things, I step forward. "Please, we mean no disrespect. What has been said is true. The only reason we came here was to seek your help against an army of goblins and dragons." I take out the painting of Tiamat while beckoning for the map with goblin notes on it, presenting both to the elves. "This is our foe. This is why we need you."
OOC:
YES! NAT 20!
Last edited May 5, 2016 7:35 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

May 6, 2016 4:32 pm
OOC:
The map was given to Teyani to take back to Brindol. Can we say that Pawetha made a copy using her excellent memory of maps?
May 6, 2016 5:15 pm
OOC:
Someone has to spend an Inspiration for that (1 if its Paws, 2 if Paws doesn't have any but others want to chip in), but yes.
May 6, 2016 5:21 pm
OOC:
I'll spend the inspiration for that! Paws will even retain the Goblin language and the graffiti of a beheaded human, just because.
Last edited May 6, 2016 5:22 pm
May 8, 2016 1:42 pm
"What problems do you have? Perhaps they are connected? Zaris asks.
May 10, 2016 12:09 am
The elf's expression remains stern, "Killiar." He turns and strides towards the owl. He kneels and plucks a jade band off of its leg. Examining it, his expression becomes more dour and he gestures towards the dead dragon-beast, "Carve the corpse." At his command, two of his companions take out hunting knives and begin to work over the corpse.

He turns to address Kaiakas, "If you are here to help, come with me to my camp. The speaker will wasn't to talk with you."

As this happens Pawetha notices a small iron coffer sitting atop the grassy knoll that the giant owl lays dead atop.
May 10, 2016 12:18 am
Pawetha approaches the slain owl, touching the feathers like one mourning the passage of majesty. She touches the coffer with the tip of her boot and looks around to see if it was secured on the ground, or could have possibly been part of the owl's possessions.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

May 10, 2016 12:20 am
The coffer is rusted, and sunken into the ground. It has clearly been sitting here longer than the owl.
May 10, 2016 12:37 am
Pawetha catches Xara's attention, tipping her head sideways to point her to the item on the ground.

She then steps away to draw attention and approaches Killiar, looking up past the owl (though her eyes flit occasionally to admire the face). "I am Pawetha Foxfur Fenniklock Spriglan, Treeguard of the Mossgrove," she says, lowering her fox-headed hood to reveal a disheveled mop of black hair tangled with small twigs and leaves. "I humbly thank you for your invitation."

The ranger finishes her thanks with a bow, eyes downward.
May 10, 2016 9:33 am
An appreciative smile crosses my face at what I interpret as the elf's acceptance. Extending my hand to the elf, I introduce myself, "I am Kaiakas, servant of Tyr."
May 10, 2016 1:36 pm
Killian nods, but does not shake the paladin's hand, instead turning as his companion walks solemnly up to him and hands him a small bloodied object retrieved from the gut of the dead dragon-beast. Killian lowers his head respectfully, and after a moment turns back to Kaiakas and says, "We should leave now, we can take you on the owls. It's a long walk or boat ride to starsong hill, but its only a couple hours by air."
OOC:
If it hasn't been clear in the writing (1) he doesn't respect you; and (2) he regards Kaiakas as the 'leader' of the group.
May 10, 2016 3:08 pm
I'm used to people not wanting to touch me, even for a hand shake. Being a Tiefling shows you just how some people feel about issues that are merely skin-deep. I keep my polite smile and lower my hand in understanding.
OOC:
Perception to see what was retrieved from the corpse.
Curious about what was retrieved, I decide it best not to press the issue.
"We would be grateful for a faster journey." I bow my head in thanks.
Noting how Killian is addressing me, I turn to my companions, beckoning them to accept the free ride
Last edited May 10, 2016 3:09 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

May 10, 2016 3:46 pm
I attempt to grab the coffer and pocket it if it's small enough to carry with ease. If that fails, I'll just open it and grab everything.
Last edited May 10, 2016 3:46 pm

Rolls

Sleight of hand - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Unlock/disable - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

May 10, 2016 4:21 pm
Pawetha cannot seem to contain her excitement, though she manages to refrain from literally pouncing on the opportunity to ride the owl. Instead, she stands before Killiar's steed as though waiting for acceptance and invitation (from the owl). "By Baervan, you smell like hemlock and pine!" she exclaims quietly.
May 10, 2016 4:26 pm
"By the grace of wind and wing, thank you for the offer." Ghunril bows and slowly approaches the owls waiting for further instructions from the elves.
May 10, 2016 4:31 pm
Kaiakas only catches a glimpse of something small and black in colour before Killian has stowed the item in his pocket.

The coffer is far too large to quietly pick up and hide, as it's the kind of thing one carries with two hands, but Xara is able to open it (as it is unlocked) with ease. Some of the contents, a ring, a headband, and a faintly glowing pearl, she is able to easily pocket. The loose gold coins and rapier, on the other hand, will not so easily be taken without notice.
OOC:
The ring, headband and pearl are in Xara's inventory / pockets -- the rapier and loose gold, of which there is quite a bit, at a glance Xara'd estimate at last 500 coins -- are still in the coffer
May 11, 2016 12:15 pm
Zaris studies Killian in-between glances at the owl on the ground. We are a race mistrustful of outsiders, but the way they are acting towards a fellow elf worries me. He approaches one of the owls near Killian. "I believe we are all in grave danger Killian. The sooner we reach the rest of your people the better." Zaris bows deeply, keeping eye contact through the entire gesture.
May 11, 2016 2:41 pm
I stand for a particularly long time in mental agony, deciding between staying behind to take all the coins or to go with my friends on an owlbear adventure. WIth great reluctance and a heavy sigh, I leave behind the coins. "Alright, onwards!" I give Paws a grin.
May 11, 2016 3:06 pm
Immediately changing my mind, I shout to anyone in range. "Hey, anyone in need of gold or a rapier? Seems someone left some behind over here." I point in the general vicinity of the dead owlbear.
May 11, 2016 4:05 pm
"Rapiers are like fancy longswords to me," says Pawetha, briefly distracted from her admiration of Killiar's owl. "But I'm sure we can find some use for it and the coin. Better to take it with us than leave it for the lizardfolk." The ranger assists in treasure transportation before returning to Killiar's owl, like a child staring upward at royalty.
May 11, 2016 4:10 pm
"Agreed, there is no reason to leave anything of value is this place." Ghunril follows Paws over to help with the transport.
May 11, 2016 4:17 pm
Noticing my companions discovery, I stay close to the elves, waiting for instruction for riding the great owls.
"Xara, I trust you will help divide the coin evenly."
May 11, 2016 5:01 pm
"True, I should take them. It would be a waste otherwise!" I take the rapier and carefully wrap up the coins and shove them into my pockets for later. At Kaiakas, I simply say "What kind of thief do you take me for??" I watch the elves carefully. Surely they won't want what's rightfully ours?
May 12, 2016 2:41 pm
"We may consider a donation for the transport Xara," Zaris says with a slight grin.
May 12, 2016 3:05 pm
Killian glances over as Xara announces her find and shrugs, "Must have been its hoard." he nods to the dead, and now gutted, dragon-beast, "You killed it, it's your prize. If you wish to give any to our clan, then deliver it to the speaker yourselves." With that ge swings himself up on his owl, and waits for Pawetha to climb aboard.
OOC:
Xara can add 1 Rapier and 700 Gold Pieces to the party treasure hoard, or however you folks are doing that. Please mark the items found in the coffers with a * and a note that it was found in the 'Dragon-Beast Hoard'
May 12, 2016 3:08 pm
"Of course, not a problem!" I mentally separate out my share and put the rest in the "party gold" fund. We're gonna have to throw a party when all said and done with the way we're been hoarding lately! The extra rapier will come in handy. I'm glad I decided to take it.
May 12, 2016 3:53 pm
Like a kid finally having permission, Pawetha giddily scrambles up the owl and takes a position in front (to see everything) and buries her face into its feathers.
May 12, 2016 4:10 pm
Killian politely ignores Pawetha's behaviour, and with a whistle his owl lifts into the air. The others, once mounted, follow shortly behind. They soar high enough into the sky that Pawetha gets a good look at the full expanse of the blackfens. She notes two roadblocks, one on each of the two roads that wind around the marshland and connect the Elsir Vale to the northern kingdoms. There is also the ruins of the old city of Rhest to the east of the large lake that takes up the majority of the fens. The ruins are mostly submerged under swamp as if in the time since its abandoning the land has begun to reclaim the edifices of man. The druid figures, with parchment, pen and a few hours, she could sketch a pretty accurate map of the region having seen it from this vantage point.

The giant owls are silent as they wing through the air. The sun is now beginning to set, and the moon crests the horizon and casts its white glow over the marshland below. Your elf escorts are, like their mounts, silent. Before long, you reach your destination. Rising from the marsh is a low hill of solid ground, encircled by a thick ring of trees. Dozens of pinpoints of light dot the hill-- small lanterns filled with fireflies, each hanging from a tree-platform or the upper reaches of a canonical tent. Many elves silently emerge to watch as you fly overhead. Killiar produces a sleek, silver horn of some sort from a saddlebag and blows on wailing note similar to a loon's cry.

Near the hill's peak stand three large trees, and built into the boughs are wooden structures. One glows softly with luminescence of its own and seems to be a temple. Another looks to be some sort of public building or town hall. The third, and your destination, is the smallest of the three -- a cozy looking tree house set above a large pool.

Killiar lands first on the porch of the treehouse. Then, one at a time the other owls deposit their charges before they and their riders fly off to their nests in the trees to the south. Killiar holds up a hand, "Wait." then steps into the house. A few moments later he returns and beckons that you join him inside.

Waiting inside is a wise-looking and ancient elf. She wears flowing golden and green robes, and her hair is braided around a complex headdress made of wicker and wood. She stands next to a much younger female elf in plain brown and green robes who looks to have been crying recently. The younger elf is seated in a large wicker chair, and the standing elf indicates nearby chairs for you. Behind you, Killiar takes a silent stance near the door.

"I am Sellyria Starsinger, Speaker for the Tiri Kitor," the standing elf says. She indicates the seated elf and continues, "This is High Singer Trellara Nightshadow. We do not often see strangers in our homeland. What brings you to the Blackfens?"
May 12, 2016 4:49 pm
"So great of you to see us under such dire circumstances." I bow to the elves and introduce everyone on my team. As I do, I attempt to feel out the room. Anyone here going to have a problem with us more than usual? What do we need to say or do to get then to help us?
Last edited May 12, 2016 4:59 pm

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

May 12, 2016 4:57 pm
Pawetha bows as she is introduced. "We are here to investigate, and perhaps put an end, to an army of hobgoblins and other creatures seeking to destroy this vale," she says, answering the question. "The Red Hand, as the horde calls itself, has gathered in the mountains to the west and by all indications are on the march. According to our reconnaissance, they are also responsible for the blockades near your homeland and may be camped in the ruins of Rhest."
May 13, 2016 2:09 am
"And dragons. Don't forget the dragons." I nod solemnly beside her.
May 16, 2016 11:46 am
"Yes, I'm afraid there may also be dragons involved in this all," Zaris adds, bowing to his elven kin. "We somehow managed to defeat one, but we are very much afraid more are involved. It could be devastating to many if the hoard continues."
May 16, 2016 12:01 pm
Unsure what I could add that wasn't already said, I offer my silent support to my comrades with a grim look and a nod should any of the elf leaders (I assume) look me in the eye.
May 16, 2016 1:28 pm
The woman's expression saddens as you speak, "I wish to thank you for slaying the harrowblade. Regretfully, it had slain one of our kin, Trellara's brother. Killian found his obsidian ring in the beast. As you have seen, the marsh is growing dangerous. We have long struggled to hold these beautiful lands for our own. The local lizardfolk have vexed us for many decades, but now a new peril stalks the Blackfens. I would be surprised if this new evil was not of the same origin as the hoard that you say threatens the rest of this valley." She leans back in her chair, "We are too consumed with our own battles here in the fens, and are much to small a force, to make a difference in a battle such that you describe is to fall upon the walls of Brindol. But, perhaps, if the hoard is the origin of the harrowblades, finding their origin and destroying it, might aid us such that we could spare more scouts and warriors, and also help weaken the hoard."
OOC:
Persuasion checks from everyone please. Also, at this juncture you are free to ask Sellyria questions.
May 16, 2016 1:43 pm
"Stemming the flow of evil from its source is a good idea. Together, we may be able to do this."
OOC:
Ok, so two high rolls for persuasion in a row. I have found my niche. Screw combat apparently.
Last edited May 16, 2016 1:43 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

May 16, 2016 3:37 pm
Zaris nods in agreement.

Rolls

Pursuation - (1d20)

(9) = 9

May 16, 2016 4:17 pm
"I have complete faith that, together, we can defeat the horde!"

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(17) + 1 = 18

May 16, 2016 4:36 pm
"You mentioned a harrowblade?" asks Pawetha, interested in the fauna of the marshlands. "Was that the only of its kind, or have there been others you've encountered?"

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20-1)

(12) - 1 = 11

May 16, 2016 4:36 pm
"The more fists in a fight, the more sure the outcome."

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

May 16, 2016 8:17 pm
"I am glad you are willing to help us. Indeed, there have been many harrowblades in the fens, and their numbers have been steadily on the rise these past few weeks. They are solitary creatures, fortunately, but still are quite dangerous even alone. You will find yourselves welcome here at Starsong Hill. We will clean out two of the sleeping tents currently being used to store provisions for you to rest in, should you need to rest. You may consider them your home for the duration of your stay with us here."
May 16, 2016 8:30 pm
Zaris makes a bow towards the elf. "We thank you for your generosity."
May 16, 2016 8:37 pm
Pawetha bows at the offer. "Thank you for your hospitality. I hate to impose further, but do you have boats or other transportation across the marsh?" The ranger surmises that the owls must be precious to these elves, and wouldn't think to simply allow strangers their use.
May 17, 2016 3:19 pm
She nods, "Yes, we can provide boats. Alternatively, depending on where you are going to, Killian's scouts may be able to adjust their flight path to drop you off. You'd be on your own for returning, of course."
May 17, 2016 4:22 pm
"Speaking of," says Pawetha, looking at Killian, "if possible, I would like to speak with the scouts..." a quick glance at the crying elf, "... before we head out."
May 17, 2016 4:28 pm
Killian's pose and expression remains fixed, "As you need. They'll have nested their owls by now, and will be preparing meals."
May 17, 2016 4:55 pm
Pawetha nods and steps back, clearly done with her line of questions and concerns.
May 17, 2016 9:25 pm
From my pack, I unroll the unfortunately damaged oil painting of Tiamat. "This is our true enemy." Displaying it for dramatic effect, I slowly pan the painting around to show everyone. "This army - or whoever is leading it - is ultimately serving Tiamat." After a brief dramatic pause, I carefully roll the painting back up. "I thought you should know."
May 18, 2016 11:33 am
The elf frowns, "I had suspicions that dragons were involved. The harrowblades, I'm sure you noticed, bear resemblance to the great skybeasts."

Killian speaks up, "A hoard requires a banner to move its members and rally others to its cause. The banner of an evil god is as good as any, I suppose." His tone is dismissive.
May 18, 2016 3:42 pm
"Tiamat may be contained for the time being, but there is no telling what the ultimate plans of this hoard are. If that hideous wyrm is released into this world..." Zaris doesn't finish the comment and shakes his head.
May 18, 2016 4:03 pm
"Right, so we're not going to let that happen. We go find the army and take out the biggest threat, am I right?" I turn towards Killian. "Hey, by any chance do you have any good blacksmiths here? I've got a couple of knives that need sharpening." I take out the two unfinished dragony blades and wave 'em around.
Last edited May 19, 2016 4:18 pm
May 19, 2016 12:14 pm
"Yes, but how do we decide which is the biggest threat?" Zaris replies, a note of frustration in his voice. "We need that army now!"
May 19, 2016 4:11 pm
"Spring too fast on the hare, you'll end up with grass in your teeth," says Pawetha. "Show some patience, observe the conditions, and then you'll know when to pounce."

The ranger turns to Zaris. "We check out this 'Saarvith' and make sure there are no surprises. Especially if we think dragons are involved. Once we understand the environment and what we're up against, we can try to think up a plan."
May 19, 2016 7:45 pm
Zaris frowns at Paws. "Yes, of course. But I think we need scouts sent to all of the relevant positions to 'observe the conditions' as you say."
May 19, 2016 8:20 pm
"Aren't we the scouts? You're saying we should each visit a different location and then report our findings?"
May 19, 2016 9:16 pm
"It would seem inadvisable to split up with the harrowblades roaming around then fen. It took all of us to take down the beast, I would definitely not want to meet one of them on my own."
May 20, 2016 12:51 am
You head outside the house to continue your discussion and leave Sellyria to her business. Outside Killian says, "You wished to speak with my scouts, or can I answer your questions" to Pawetha.
May 20, 2016 2:52 am
"Either. I mainly wanted to know what you've been able to gather about these harrowblades," says Pawetha. "Also, I'm not familiar with your marshland, so if there are tips and tricks for navigating these fine folk around, I would greatly appreciate studying under your guidance and expertise."
May 20, 2016 9:02 pm
I'm simply saying we need more scout parties," he relies, obviously frustrated with the discussion. "Nevermind, we need to get to work on all of this."
May 23, 2016 4:01 pm
"After you, Paws." I give Zaris a shrug.
Last edited May 23, 2016 4:01 pm
May 24, 2016 12:02 pm
Zaris returns a shrug to Xara but lets the matter rest. He stands near Killian and waits for Paws to start asking question, clearly not interested in any more mild arguments over their tactics.
May 25, 2016 12:00 am
Killian shrugs, "The harrowblades are dragon-kin, I am sure. They share too many features not to be related, but I don't know what made them. They lack the strength and power of even a wyrmling, and yet they are fast and agile in ways unlike dragons. Be wary of their claws, their serrated scales and their breath. Treat the battle with the same respect you treat a battle with a dragon, and you might survive." He then spends some time explaining to Pawetha how not to get lost in the marsh, warning her of the kinds of missteps travellers often make.
OOC:
Paws now has advantage on Survival checks in the Blackfens
May 25, 2016 6:30 pm
Ghunril stand next to Zaris, also content to watch the discussion unfold around him without any input needed.
May 25, 2016 6:49 pm
After the quick lesson on the Blackfens and its inhabitants, Paws nods. "Thank you, Killian. This is all good advice, which I've taken to heart." Paws feels a kinship with the scout, at least on an occupational level, and this might explain her more-respectful tone compared to other conversations she's had.

She turns to the group. "What now? Check out the blockades, or make directly for Rhest?"
May 25, 2016 6:51 pm
"Rhest?" I offer helpfully.
May 25, 2016 7:01 pm
"Well, yeah, these elves have given us a place to sleep. You want to rest now?" asks Pawetha.
May 25, 2016 7:21 pm
"Rest and then off to Rhest. A certain synergy in that plan," Zaris says with a gentle laugh.
May 25, 2016 9:03 pm
"Rest, then rest again. Sure, why not?"
May 26, 2016 12:18 am
"Okay, so we'll ignore the blockades for now," Pawetha mumbles, mulling things in her mind. "That might be good, maybe their base is in the ruins and keeps them supplied. Cut off the head of this one and the blockades will be easier to clear later."
May 26, 2016 12:22 pm
Zaris sits himself down against a tree and retrieves a book from his pack, Alchemy and Invisibility: a case study. He tunes out the rest of the world. "Three parts of willow bark mixed with spirit of ether will often be the perfect base liquid to add in poppy flowers..." Yes, this could work," he mumbled to himself.
Last edited May 26, 2016 12:23 pm
May 26, 2016 4:02 pm
If Killian is still there, Pawetha turns to the elf. "I think we'll head out in the morning. I hate to impose when you've got a lot to do, but by chance... if your scouts are in our area, could they risk a quick glance to make sure we aren't in distress?"
May 27, 2016 9:20 pm
"Also, some of our compatriot are without ranged weapons, could we borrow several bows for the boat ride in case we are attacked from shore? The ability to protect oneself is very calming to the mind" Ghunril bows to the elf in thanks.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.