Character Creation

Oct 19, 2020 3:00 pm
As described in the game details, we'll do basic mortal characters. The only thing I ask is that the characters are all employees of the same organization. In the past, I've run this as a global biotech/pharmaceutical company but if you think a different type of company could be more interesting I'm open to modifications.

Also you will all have some kind of personal connection to the CEO who has gone missing
Oct 19, 2020 3:37 pm
Quick thought that comes to mind is the young adult child/relative of the CEO that is an intern/odd jobber purely because of the family relationship and they needed some form of job yo 'be responsible though depends if the CEO is the kind of person to hire family regardless of ability.

If another concept will wait to see what kind of company it is, I am not completely fussed.
Oct 19, 2020 4:18 pm
That totally works. The CEO is an elderly African American woman and it is a family company that has grown to a global company.

Depending on the age of the character, you could definitely be a direct descendant or even adopted or something like that.
Oct 19, 2020 6:30 pm
I was thinking of making a University Student majoring in Biology or Chemistry, is this concepts fits. Maybe she’s working on her a Masters Program and studying under the tutelage of one of the lab scientists.
Oct 19, 2020 7:17 pm
I'm thinking about going with some rank and file worker at the company. The "hey, it's a job and it pays the bills," type of office drone.
Oct 19, 2020 7:58 pm
Sounds good. Maybe a grand or great grand child, who on teh surface has just chosen to use the wealth in the family to coast and not bother with exams, till got cut off by parents, and CEO offered the choice of work as intern and slowly up through company or good luck as an unskilled worker. Under service, ADHD or similar is not helping focus. Definitely thinking jack of all trades stil char.
Oct 20, 2020 12:48 am
I think it is important to know exactly what kind of company we are working for, how big it is, and what kind of person this CEO was (or at least what his public image is) if we are supposed to have personal connections to this person.

Global biotech/pharmaceutical works for me.
Oct 20, 2020 3:24 pm
Those are perfectly good concepts.

Let's go with the pharmaceutical company mentioned previously. You all work at the main headquarters of Baxter, Inc. Located in Auburn, AL, USA. For those unfamiliar with it, it is a college town surrounding Auburn University.

The company handles many of its corkage functions in house. Research, manufacturing, HR, IT, physical Security, custodial staff, marketing, sales, etc. I'm sure a fair number of interns from the university. There are also two military bases within an hours drive so you get a lot of non traditional former/ current military students.

The CEO is Eugenia Baxter Billingsley. Grand daughter of Atticus Baxter who turned his humble upset stomach tonic into a global pharmaceutical manufacturer. She is well in to her 80s at this point, with no signs of stopping. Vibrant, wise and kind, she often walks around the building greeting everyone by name. Her late husband, Dr. Chris Billingsley was a professor of divinity at the University.
Oct 20, 2020 4:34 pm
I'm thinking about a body guard type of character. Maybe former police or military.

Is it known how the husband died?
Oct 20, 2020 4:56 pm
I'm thinking of a character who lives for the weekend. A lab tech who stumbled into this job because it payed decently, though his heart and soul are trapped in the walls of the company. His weekends are spend out at the nearby Tuskegee NF or at Lake Martin.

As for his connection to the CEO, would it be possible to have a connection to either her children or grandchildren? Someone with whom he has recreated, whom he either met after starting the company or from whom he got the job hookup.
Oct 20, 2020 5:13 pm
Cool. Grandchild I think possibly works for my char then. Was thinking either the lazy night guard who still tries to slack off, unless stepping on Carabas toes (Though if he's also security maybe he's senior to her)

Or reception work and she has so far managed to not get frustrated and call someone stupid yet... Or has managed to charm her way out of the consequences so far.

Definitely will try the 'do you know who my grandmother is?' Whether or not the other characters and company out up with it is up to all you.
Oct 20, 2020 8:38 pm
So far I have
- Theilindra: Auburn college student, probably an intern
- Phil_Ozzy_Fer: paper pusher
~ Carabas: ex-military security
- charles.c.cowley: lab tech
-LightOfMidnight:slacker , receptionist grand child
- In_Jail_Out_Soon: ?
Oct 20, 2020 8:41 pm
Before you start worrying about putting dots on the sheet, I strongly encourage you all to decide on virtues, vices, and aspirations.

When the story starts, you are all aware that Eugenia has gone missing, but the company has been very tight lipped about it.
Oct 20, 2020 8:57 pm
LightOfMidnight says:
Cool. Grandchild I think possibly works for my char then. Was thinking either the lazy night guard who still tries to slack off, unless stepping on Carabas toes (Though if he's also security maybe he's senior to her).
I don't think slacker security guard and perfectionist body guard have that much in common.

How do you feel about having a sibling or cousin?
Oct 20, 2020 9:40 pm
That was sort of my thought, as in your char suddenly has to put up with a dead weight. But yeah, as I am still very much in flux on what sort of abilities etc she'll have, will happily go for receptionist/admin if you don't think it would work

And yeah very happy with expanding the family tree, don't want to hold monopoly on blood relation
Oct 20, 2020 10:03 pm
I don't mind if you both want to be security. I missed that part of your post above.

Up to you two.
Oct 21, 2020 4:01 am
All right, I've done some tinkering around and I've come up with this:

Gabe Everett, Outdoorsy Lab Tech.
Virtue: Fortitude (Regain Willpower when he withstands overwhelming or tempting pressure to alter his goals.)
Vice: Sloth (Regain one Willpower when he avoids taking action but accomplishes his goal nonetheless.)
Aspiration 1: Finally ask Temperance on a date.
Aspiration 2: Take that security guard out on a hike.
Aspiration 3: Find his next adventure. (This sounds too vague to me, can be changed.)

(In the event you want us to use the examples from the book, then Loyal and Arrogant would be his Vice and Virtue.)

His connection to Eugenia is through her granddaughter, as it was Temperance (who names a child that?) who connected him with Baxter, Inc. While a romantic relationship has not developed between the two, he spends significant amounts of time in her company through their shared recreations. And when you spend several extended backpacking trips with the CEOs granddaughter, the family tends to notice.
Oct 21, 2020 6:49 am
Actually I will go for receptionist/admin.

What sort of personality were you thinking for Temperence Charles? Will need to decide if she's my chars sibling or cousin.
Oct 21, 2020 1:05 pm
Temperance was Eugenia's sister. So it's a family name. I think it'd be pretty funny if she was anything but temperate. Kind of a party girl which may be the source of your challenge in making the relationship more romantic

@charles.c.cowley: those anchors look good to me. I would like to see something a bit more specific on the 3rd aspiration but I like that it's a bit more long term.
Oct 21, 2020 4:34 pm
Serenity Baxter, body guard

Virtue: Loyalty, to Eugenia, her legacy, and the family, in that order
Vice: Violent.

Aspirations:
* solve Eugenia's disappearance
* keep the family together in this time
* do not have a drink (she was an alcoholic for a while after leaving the army, before Eugenia gave her a new and better purpose)

While technically part of Baxter's security division, she was in charge of miss Baxter's personal security.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.