Character Creation

load previous
Oct 23, 2020 6:50 pm
So, here is more fleshed out character with character sheet representation, let me know if it is all good or I will need to change something.
[ +- ] Victor Zaytsev
Last edited December 5, 2020 7:43 am
Oct 23, 2020 6:53 pm
WarDomo says:
Carabas says:
What skills would cover bodyguard stuff like knowledge of security systems and scanning a crowd of people?
Computers maybe for security systems. Maybe empathy for the crowds. Larceny might cover some of that stuff too. I'll have to double check later
I think Larceny would cover most of the security measures besides cyber security, which would be handled by IT department rather than bodyguards and security officers. So, it would include lockpicking, spotting and disabling alarm systems and things like that.
Oct 23, 2020 7:45 pm
So, this is what we have right now, correct?

Granddaughters:
(PC) Constance 'Con' Baxter - receptionist
(PC) Serenity Baxter - CEO's bodyguard
(NPC) Temperance Baxter - Gabe Everett's friend
(NPC) [Insert name] - Victor's wife

Employees:
(PC) Gabe Everett - Lab tech
(PC) Olivier Bergeron - Manager (accounting, sales, etc.)
(PC) Victor Zaytsev - Sysadmin

I think it would be better if Victor's wife was a cousin to the three sisters and I would like some help with the name, I am terrible with names.
Last edited October 25, 2020 12:46 pm
Oct 24, 2020 12:28 am
On my end, I don't have any plans for Temperance other than her being an active individual, and a fan of taking bag wine on long hikes. Outside of that, since your characters seem to be closer to her, feel free to throw your ideas in the ring!

@MagnificentFly: Prudence. Not the most modern name, but fits the theme of old-timey personality-based name. She would go by Pru.
Oct 24, 2020 1:13 pm
MagnificentFly: your sheet looks good though I'll highlight that with a rating that high, you are like one of the foremost experts in the world in Digital Security. Out of curiosity why are you in Auburn, Alabama versus Silicon Valley?
Oct 24, 2020 1:39 pm
Mercy, Verity, Amity, Partience, etc. if fitting our old timey names. But if a cousin, maybe the parents broke tradition.
Last edited October 24, 2020 1:40 pm
Oct 24, 2020 2:48 pm
WarDomo: Honestly, I was going to keep his Computer skill at 4 dots but had one more point left and didn't know where to put it, I could put it into Crafts instead, he can fix some electronics as part of his job was to make sure that everything is working. I was thinking also about Science or Academic but his area of study was IT and I don't think it is possible to have a high rating in Computers without having extensive knowledge on the subject, so it felt kind of redundant. As for why he stayed in Alabama, well, he married a woman whose entire family is in Auburn it seems, so he is kind of anchored there.

Names: I don't know how traditional the family is really. From my personal experience, my father and my uncle have the same initials as my grandfather, so do my cousins. They all have different names but they start from the same letter. Me and my brother are breaking the tradition a little bit as our initials are different from the rest, however, the two of us have names that start from the same letter. So, I think it would make sense that Victor's wife would have been named in line with the tradition but with some deviation. I will let the blood relatives and the ST decide on the name though.
Last edited October 24, 2020 2:48 pm
Oct 24, 2020 6:45 pm
I'd say throw it in academics or science. That much formal schooling, you'd have something.
Oct 25, 2020 12:23 pm
I'll go with Academics, he would have to take some Minors during his studies and know how to conduct a proper research.

Science in IT is kind of governed by Computers. High Computer skill is described as being a hacker, which means the character would have to know how to read the code, understand algorithms and logic behind them, which could be governed by Science. So, I would have to have some dots in Science as pre-requisite for Computers but I don't see how the skill could be used on its own. Too much skill overlap.
Last edited October 25, 2020 12:24 pm
Oct 25, 2020 12:51 pm
Fair point
Oct 27, 2020 11:45 am
@Carabas: Serenity is missing 1 dot of physical ability. Primary should have 11.

@LightOfMidnight: Still with us? Haven't heard from you in a bit.

Also haven't heard from In_Jail_Out_Soon since he(?) accepted the invite. I'm okay with moving forward with the four of us if we don't hear from the others in the next couple days.
Oct 27, 2020 11:57 am
That's probably just a typo. The dots on the sheet the site uses aren't very visually clear. I'll have a look later.
Last edited October 27, 2020 11:58 am
Oct 27, 2020 12:51 pm
Whoops sorry. Will try and get on stuff now, just been sorting through job searches. Just sending in char now
Last edited October 27, 2020 12:53 pm
Oct 27, 2020 12:54 pm
Done.

I also changed a specialty, because that was a remnant from a version with much higher Computer skill.
Oct 27, 2020 1:05 pm
Also for absolutely no reason how do people think the Baxter family would view LGBT?
Oct 27, 2020 1:13 pm
That's probably going to vary a lot by individual members. I can see Serenity as someone who was fairly close-minded earlier in life, but at some point has had her head screwed on straight (so to speak).

But what is the company's standpoint on that?
Oct 27, 2020 1:32 pm
Baxter is a global company and thus subject to many of the same laws as the rest of the US with regard to LGBT protections.

Culturally, Alabama is a far more conservative state than most, but as a college town, Auburn, is a bit more liberal particularly with social issues.

That being said, what would you find more compelling for the story? Do you want there to be conflict with regard to LGBT status. On a similar note, racial and immigrant issues have also been fairly prominent in previous iterations of this game. To what degree would the group be interested in exploring those kinds of themes?
Oct 27, 2020 1:39 pm
Constance being in the closet could be another reason she acts out, is seen as the black sheep of the family, but support from sisters could be one reason they still have some closeness. Could be a reason Serenity changed her views. Of it could be something that comes out in the story. As could be the one thing Con struggles to be honest about, fearing the backlash.

As for racial I don't mind. Sound like some that could definitely come up as the Baxter's have African American Heritage, though I will myself say I am white so haven't experienced it myself, (of course very aware it is a thing, even in UK, no matter what the government tries to say) but will try and handle the issue seriously and respectfully.
Oct 27, 2020 3:57 pm
Personally, I am fine exploring any themes as long as they make sense within the world we are playing in.

There is a potential conflict for Victor as he is an immigrant, he is Russian (the scariest white people), and he married an African American woman. There could also be some people who would think that he got his promotion because of his relation to the CEO's family rather than his competence.
Slightly different topic:
Should we discuss the relationship our characters would have with each other, considering most of them are family members (by blood or otherwise)?

I think Victor and Constance would probably be on good terms with each other, given her laziness and his generosity. He could "extend" the time needed to fix some technical issue that prevents her from working on occasion. He would also probably consult with her about better presents for his wife and ask her to help smooth things over when Victor and his wife would have had a fight.

I feel like he and Serenity would have a more professional relationship with barely any small talk with occasional conflict due to his "help" for Con to slack off or decisions about some security measures.

Not sure about Gabe though, I'd say they would probably be just acquaintances, although, I am open to suggestions.
Oct 27, 2020 4:12 pm
"Personally, I am fine exploring any themes as long as they make sense within the world we are playing in." I agree with this sentiment. I'm fine with these themes showing up in game naturally.

Am I playing the only non-family character? The outsider? I don't think Gabe would have had much interaction with Victor, as his work is rather hands-on. Even his IT needs (slow computer, site-blockers, etc) would likely be handled by someone working for Victor. If we've interacted, it was probably in passing or possibly when Gabe first took the job and likely had a background investigation. Drawing inspiration from the picture, Gabe probably doesn't care too much for Victor, the contrast of his flannel vs your suit.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.