Part 3: The Spider's Web

load previous
Jul 26, 2016 7:43 pm
"Perhaps our stealthiest then," he says, casting a glance toward Xora. Carefully, he walks up to the canvas and peers inside." I can cast it from here, if you're game. Please only move part of the curtain, as my magic has its limits. Signal me when you're ready -- I can give you about a minute of illusion."
Last edited July 26, 2016 9:51 pm
Jul 28, 2016 3:04 pm
OOC:
Just to be clear, I believe that Xora saw an empty room beyond the canvas with rotting barrels and such, with a curtain covering an opening to the south. Stormsong is offering an illusion to cover anyone looking past that curtain over the southern opening.
"I, of course, am willing to sneak in myself -- however you guys want to play it..."
Jul 28, 2016 3:11 pm
I nod, and attempt to slip behind the canvas undetected. If I find any cover past the curtain I will continue towards it.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Jul 28, 2016 3:26 pm
Stormsong casts a minor illusion so that the curtain appears unmoved while Xora checks things out.
Last edited July 28, 2016 3:26 pm
Jul 28, 2016 3:46 pm
Xora moves like a ghost, barely disturbing the curtain as she moves through and the illusion makes the transition seamless. She once again finds herself back in the room she saw previously, with the rotting barrels and crates and the rubble strewn everywhere. There is a closed door on the eastern wall and a heavy curtain blocking the passage south.
Jul 28, 2016 4:09 pm
I move towards the closed door, nothing anything of interest in the room.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Jul 28, 2016 4:43 pm
Kama inspects the hole in his chain mail vest, where the hobgoblin spear poked through. That'll be difficult to clean.
Jul 28, 2016 4:58 pm
Xora finds nothing of worth in the curtained room, so she opens the eastern door to reveal a small hallway with a door on the east side and a curtain blocking off a room to the south.

She can hear voices coming from both the door and the curtain, but she can't understand what they're saying.

http://i.imgur.com/DkcZ3rM.jpg
Jul 29, 2016 4:04 am
Stormsong carefully pulls the canvas aside, letting some light into the room. He sees the open door, remembering from. Ora's map that it was closed, so presumes that it's all clear to that point. "I'll signal you if Xora says it's OK to follow", he whispers to Kama & Gimblyn, then he carefully makes his way to the open door, hoping to get further guidance from Xora.
Last edited July 29, 2016 4:05 am

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Aug 2, 2016 3:54 pm
Stormsong is nearly as silent as Xora was, and manages to make his way to her without incident. He can hear the voices as well.
Aug 2, 2016 4:24 pm
Kama rests out of sight from any viewports as best he can, waiting for the signal. It occurs to him that he doesn't know what the signal is, but he hopes it's relatively obvious.
Aug 2, 2016 9:06 pm
OOC:
he only knows common and giant, so probably doesn't understand the voices either
Once Stormsong realizes the way is clear to their position, he sticks a big blue hand through the door he recently entered and gives Kama and Gimblyn the 'ol come hither wave, beckoning them to join, while trying to discern any difference in tone or intent between the voices behind the door, and those behind the curtain.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Aug 2, 2016 11:25 pm
Kama looks over at Gimblyn to confirm that the gnome has also witnessed the signal, and picks himself up to join the others behind the curtain canvas.
Last edited August 3, 2016 12:59 pm
Aug 3, 2016 1:06 am
I nod to Stormstrong, and continue moving forward as silently as possible towards the voices.
Last edited August 3, 2016 1:07 am

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Perception - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Aug 3, 2016 12:43 pm
Stormsong is able to determine that the voices in the room behind the door seem to be more serious and business-like than the ones behind the curtain, which seem to be very casual conversation.

Xora presses her ear to the door and listens for a moment. She can hear what seems to be the voice of a larger goblinoid - a bugbear perhaps? -, the low growls of a wolf, and the smooth voice of an elf. She can't make out the words, however.
Aug 3, 2016 12:56 pm
I hold up 3 fingers to Stormsong, and sign with my hands to indicate a large creature, a tall creature, and a creature on all fours. I ready my bow and point towards the door as if asking attack?
Aug 3, 2016 1:01 pm
As Xora is telling the others what's around, you can hear footsteps coming from the southern passage with the curtain (the one that seems like more relaxed conversation. A moment after you hear the foorsteps, the curtain moves aside and a couple of hobgoblins, who are distracted talking to each other, exit the small room beyond and bump right into Kama.

They stagger backward before turning and snarling, "Hey, you, get out of our..." he trails off and his eyes widen as he realizes that you aren't part of their group. The begin to reach for their swords quickly, but you have time to react first.
OOC:
Surprise round for the players!

Can our intrepid heroes defeat their foes without alerting the foes in the next room?
Aug 3, 2016 1:39 pm
Stormsong whirls around to see the hobgoblins, slightly miffed at the interruption when they were so close to something important. He grants bardic inspiration (bonus) and casts a silence spell around what appears will be the combat zone, attempting to keep the sorcerer out of its influence. He knows the small one will be limited to minor illusions if he wanders into the sphere of silence and tries to remain aware that he may have to drop the spell if someone needs a heal or if Gimblyn is needed.
OOC:
if the 10 minutes of inspiration for Xora have elapsed, he'll renew it on her, otherwise grant it to Kama
Last edited August 3, 2016 1:41 pm
Aug 3, 2016 1:48 pm
OOC:
Stormsong's bardic inspiration die is a d6.
Once within the next 10 minutes, the target can, as a bonus action, roll the die and add the number to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. Target can wait until the d20 is rolled to choose to use it, but before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. Alternatively, it can be added to a damage roll, or, as a reaction, add the number to their AC when attacked. Once it is used, it is lost.
Last edited August 3, 2016 1:49 pm
Aug 3, 2016 1:50 pm
Xora still has hers for another minute (gonna be generous here, since this could get ugly!)

So now both Xora and Kama should have one
load next

Thread locked