Part 3: The Spider's Web

load previous
Jul 11, 2016 4:12 pm
Kama spent the two days jovially picking Gimblyn's brain on the finer points of fletching; which feathers provide more stability, is shield-cut really better than parabolic, etc. Despite not having a single arrow on his person, the half-orc has seen a few in his days... often the business end.

Taking position at the edge of the clearing, Kama squints. "Are you serious?" he hisses, not wanting to betray their position, but also wanting the heavens to hear his displeasure. "It was right on our doorstep?"
Jul 12, 2016 11:48 am
I listen in interest to the discussion of arrows. While mine are perfectly adequate, I wonder whether I could improve my accuracy and damage. If Gimblyn is as good as he says he is at crafting weapons, it couldn't hurt to ask once we have completed our task.

Once we get to the castle, I like ok around for any signs of scouts or guards.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Perception (w/advantage because of favored terrain?) - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Jul 12, 2016 12:56 pm
Xora can't see any signs of danger on the outside, it's actually pretty quiet. She moves over to look through the opening and her keen eyes are able to pick out several forms moving about within. Though she can't determine what exactly they are, they're obviously humanoid.
Jul 13, 2016 5:05 pm
Kama draws Talon, opting to try the longsword this time. Over the past two days, he practiced a bit with the lighter weapon to figure out positioning and defense. The half-orc admired the speed of the blade, understanding that it traded heft for balance, and appreciated the versatility of one- or two-handed attacks.

He takes a deep breath to prepare himself, and looks back at Gimblyn. Kama gestures Follow me with his head, and attempts to quietly join Xora at the opening in the north wall.

Rolls

Stealth, Disadvantage - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

1d20+1 : (15) + 1 = 16

Jul 13, 2016 7:14 pm
The party makes their way up to the opening, making a lot more noise than is strictly necessary, and peer inside to see four hobgoblins. The hobgoblins obvious heard you coming and one of them grabs a spear and launches it at Kama, missing badly.

http://i.imgur.com/rQ7AfJq.jpg
OOC:
Rolling initiative... and... the bad guys win

Enemy Turn!
The hobgoblins pick up a mix of weapons, swords and spears alike, and rush forward at the party while one stays back with a longbow.

H1 rushes out to confront Xora, hoping to stop her from putting her deadly bow to use. Xora handily dodges the attack and the hobgoblin growls, "Die, lizard-bitch!"

H2 and H3 move out to confront the powerful-looking orc warrior and his fancy sword. H2 moves quicker than Kama could expect and hits him hard (Critical - 27 damage). H3 swings at the same time, but misses.

H4 stays back with his bow leveled and launches an arrow at Xora, grazing her leg (10 damage)

http://i.imgur.com/IppBCxY.jpg
OOC:
Sorry, Kama. Bad dice, bad!

Player turn!
Jul 13, 2016 7:18 pm
Kama looked down and untangled his chain mail skirt from a piece of fallen concrete. As such, he failed to notice the thrusting spear until it was through his abdomen, and the force pushes him onto his back.

"Oh... dang it," is his last gasp before unconsciousness takes him.

Rolls

Death Save #1 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Jul 14, 2016 9:01 pm
The small gnome is struck with nerve as the bold warrior falls unconscious. Gimblyn retreats backwards 25 feet while mumbling a few words. He turns and then hurls a fire bolt at hobgoblin directly in front of Kama.

"Xora, make mince of these goblins!"

Rolls

Fire Damage - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Jul 15, 2016 2:57 am
I nod towards Gimblyn. "Soon." Then I kneel down, uttering a now all-too-common incantation in Draconic in order to wake my unconscious friend.

Rolls

Cure Wounds - (1d8+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Jul 18, 2016 12:23 pm
Gimblyn's fire bolt flies toward H2, slamming into his face and removing most of his features. He stumbles away screaming and batting at his face. After a few moments of this he falls to the ground.

Xora's healing energy washes over Kama, soothing his wounds and making his breathing less shallow.

Naatkinson sent a note to Cmbrian
OOC:
H2 is down

Enemy turn incoming!

Rolls

Gimblyn Fire Bolt Attack - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Jul 18, 2016 1:09 pm
H1 growls angrily at Xora healing her companion instead of seeing him as a real threat and takes another swing at her with his sword. Once again, Xora dodges the blow with ease.

H3 steps over Kama's prone body and takes his sword in two hands, "I'll cut you down the middle, little one," he laughs as he launches an overhead strike. Gimblyn proves to be more nimble than the hobgoblin thought and quickly sidesteps out of the way.

H4 sends another arrow sailing at Xora, grazing her arm this time (6 damage).
OOC:
Back to player turn!
Jul 18, 2016 4:22 pm
Roused from sleep by the warm divine, Kama's memories flood back with a sharp intake of breath. Opening his eyes just in time to see the welcoming image of hobgoblin nethers cross his vision, the half-orc rises to his feet and brings Talon in a two-handed uppercut slash across H3's back.

Rolls

Talon 2H vs H3 - (1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (4) + 6 = 10

1d10+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

Jul 18, 2016 4:30 pm
OOC:
Take advantage on that attack (I'm aware you're prone and shouldn't have it but this is too good an opportunity to miss!)
Jul 18, 2016 4:33 pm
Taking advantage of the hobgoblin's distraction, Kama adjusts his aim a bit.

Rolls

Advantage on Talon - (1d20+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

Jul 18, 2016 5:17 pm
Thoughts and images of harmonic layers and grand compositions are carefully compartmentalized, Stormsong's attention is quickly snapped back to the present by the sounds of mayhem ahead. He quickly moves to the edge of the clearing and attempts to piece together what he sees.
OOC:
I'll roll perception, and if it is deemed a success and he quickly figures out good guys from bad, he'll take the following action
Ah! Brave combatants in need of my aid!, he mutters to himself as he blows his most inspiring war march on the bagpipes -- granting inspiration to the green cloaked healer (bonus), and casting faerie fire in the midst of the hobgoblins.
OOC:
Bardic Inspiration, bonus action; FF (60' range, 20' cube, DC 12 Dex save, or the targets give off a bright pink aura, granting advantage to their attackers; Concentration, 1 minute)

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Jul 18, 2016 5:32 pm
Kama's axe takes the hobgoblin right in the groin, splitting him several inches up into his stomach. he grabs at his torn crotch and falls over.

Stormsong peers into the clearing to see a group of apparent adventurers under attack by a group of vicious hobgoblins. The others can hear the sound issuing from the bagpipe and look over to see a massive hulk of a person blowing the pipes. Xora is inspired by the note and both of the remaining hobgoblins are lined in pink flames.
Jul 20, 2016 1:56 pm
OOC:
Waiting on Xora and Gimblyn to act :)
Jul 20, 2016 4:29 pm
Gimblyn retreats back another 5 feet before mumbling the same words as before, the tip of his staff gradually glows until it turns into a mote of fire. Seeing that there was two hobgoblins left, he focused further. Using his metamagic, the small flame split into two before he hurled it at the enemies.
OOC:
Using one Sorc Point to twin my Firebolt Cantrip. 2 Sorc points left. Do i have advantage too?
Last edited July 20, 2016 4:30 pm

Rolls

to hit; Firebolt 1 and 2 - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

1d20+5 : (12) + 5 = 17

damage; 1 and 2 - (1d10, 1d10)

1d10 : (4) = 4

1d10 : (5) = 5

to hit; come on crits! - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

CRIT!!!! - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Jul 20, 2016 4:32 pm
OOC:
You will have advantage on each attack (though it doesn't look like it matters with those rolls! Still, you may crit, so go ahead and make your advantage rolls
Jul 20, 2016 4:40 pm
OOC:
I crit lol
Jul 20, 2016 5:39 pm
Gimblyn's first fire bolt slams H4 in the chest, lighting him aflame and he falls to the ground in an attempt to put out the fire. The second bolt hits H1, burning his flesh, but he manages to ignore it in his anger at Xora's obvious superiority.
load next

Thread locked