1: What a strange view

load previous
Apr 9, 2021 10:10 am
Nirion picks up the jote and casts comprehend languages, not sure if it is actually something he hasn't seen or a code, but hopefully it might help
Apr 9, 2021 12:31 pm
Khezzik pauses to scrutinise Nirion intently while he incants the spell. Then he says, "Message is in code. Very simple cypher. Should not take you long to solve, if you want to." Then he resumes twisting the parts of the chest as before.
Apr 9, 2021 7:36 pm
The chest clicks and the top slides off. Khezzik learns that this is not a chest, but a coffin, a dwarven coffin. Inside is an old long-dead dwarf lying peacefully. He is wearing a circlet on his brow and clad in ceremonial armor. But the battle-axe resting on his chest is clearly not ceremonial. The craftsmanship is breathtaking and it is clearly enchanted, with glowing eyes on the face and a glowing symbol.
[ +- ] The axe
Turne have been looking through some of the boxes have found all your non-magical gear, weapons, armor, and such.
Apr 9, 2021 9:44 pm
OOC:
Does this include our spellbooks? Similarly, any empty logbooks lying about or manifests?
Takeshi gladly rejoins himself with his own effects. However, stops at the sight of the dead dwarf and its artifact. He studies the weapon and looks for clues to its origin along with its former owner.

Rolls

Investigation (Passive 22) - (1d20+7)

(19) + 7 = 26

History - (1d20+7)

(17) + 7 = 24

Apr 10, 2021 1:32 am
"Ugh. Just a mouldy old dwarf. Who keeps dead dwarf in a puzzle box? Nice axe though, very shiny."
Last edited April 10, 2021 1:33 am
Apr 10, 2021 1:56 am
Turner shivered before the satisfying crunch of the bug sounded under her foot. Behavior patterns seemed more than a random swarm but synchronize to do what exactly? Did feeding on magic allow them to grow? If the group needed to go back, a nonmagical defense would prove more effective as magic seemed to send them into a frenzy.

When the light illuminated the hold, the wizard surveyed the different boxes and containers hoping one held an answer to their current predicament. Well the boxes were not going to search themselves so Turner moved to the first stack on the right. Better to start at the entrance and systematically work around the perimeter until an inventory could be made.

Relief flooded the wizard as the first container held the most basic of food supplies. An empty stomach grumbled its approval as the wizard hydrated herself before scooping up a biscuit to gnaw as she continued her search.

The next crate held a conglomerate of personal effects. Not knowing her companion's past wardrobe, Turner could not say with 100% certainty the items she was currently unpacking belong to them but then that was definitely her quarterstaff....and praise the gods, her rolls of parchment! Excitement grew....if their personal effects had been boxed then it was only a matter of time before she found her magical items.
Apr 10, 2021 10:58 am
Galdr says:
OOC:
Does this include our spellbooks? Similarly, any empty logbooks lying about or manifests?
There are no books of any kind in the cargo hold. They must be somewhere else
Apr 10, 2021 2:35 pm
Khezzik gleefully snatches up his weapons and tools, and busily stashes them about his person. His scrabbling through the boxes becomes rather more frantic as he realises that his coveted magical items are not present, until he eventually gives up and looks crestfallen.
Apr 10, 2021 3:13 pm
Turner didn't need to ask if the crossbow belong to one of those present for as soon Khezzik saw the weapon uncrated he was energetically dancing around claiming his procession but still looking over her shoulder. Turner looked up piercing the kobold with a look over the rims of her glasses, Yes? Is there a discrepancy of some kind? A lingering pause before continuing, I assure you I am only taking inventory without regard for personal profit. If you tell me what it is that is missing, I will have my eye out for it. I still have more crates to open so just be patient unless you would like to unpack while I make notations?
OOC:
I am not sure how many boxes are in the hold but Turner doesn't take time to examine any one thing for long. She wants a working knowledge of what the contents are as a whole before taking a closer look at specific items.
Apr 11, 2021 12:12 am
Leo is more than relieved when he opens a crate and finds all the armor and weapons of his from his clan. He holds up the leather chest piece and the longbow, and it begins to set in that he might be far away from his clan, and from his new home in Waterdeep amongst the Emerald Enclave and Senobia. He smiles longingly as he reoutfits himself with all of his (non-magical) gear, though he hasn't even noticed the change in headpiece, since he's so used to wearing the Headband of Intellect anyway.

At the discovery of food and water, Leo happily jaunts on over next to Turner. "Not like what I ate back home, heh. But it'll do." He reaches in and grabs a handful of food and leisurely begins snacking as he peruses the room.

"Nirion, were you able to read that little note? Does it say who the poor fella was?" he says as he stands over the body of the dwarf, slowly gnawing on some dried meat.
Apr 11, 2021 12:52 am
Nirion looks down at the note again after collecting his own items. Does the spell help him to read it?
OOC:
I want to apologize for my short post length. I'm mostly playing on my phone, so typing huge blocks of text doesn't work as well
Apr 11, 2021 7:32 am
The_Librarian says:
Nirion looks down at the note again after collecting his own items. Does the spell help him to read it?
OOC:
I want to apologize for my short post length. I'm mostly playing on my phone, so typing huge blocks of text doesn't work as well
OOC:
Don't worry about it :)
A comprehend Langues does not decode code messages. There are no other texts on the casket. Perhaps you can find something on the dwarfs remains, or his axe, but if you want to examin him, roll an investigation.
Apr 11, 2021 9:11 am
Khezzik looks at Turner. Reptile-folk can't really cry, but he nevertheless looks quite distraught. "All this one's best things, gone. Gloves. Killing stick. This one worked very hard to get those, all for nothing." After a moment's sadness, though, he seems to shift to a more determined frame of mind. "Must be here somewhere, just not here here. Will find again."

He also overhears Lopeiros' question. "No. Note just says how to open puzzle box. Nothing about icky dwarven contents."
Apr 11, 2021 12:14 pm
Nirion will peek into the casket, trying not to touch anything at first, hoping to see some clue as to why the body was concealed.

Rolls

investigation - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Apr 11, 2021 1:00 pm
Galdr says:
OOC:
Takeshi gladly rejoins himself with his own effects. However, stops at the sight of the dead dwarf and its artifact. He studies the weapon and looks for clues to its origin along with its former owner.
OOC:
Takeshi also inspected the corpse and axe: Investigation 26, History 24
Apr 11, 2021 2:20 pm
OOC:
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear if all the crates and barrels had been opened.
Apr 12, 2021 8:10 pm
Turner leaves the casket with the dead dwarf to the elves, while she checks out the creates in the ships cargo hold. There are several crates labeled with foodstuff, those stale bisquits, and dried meats. There is an assortment of maintenance items (rope, canvas, wooden boards ect) but nothing else of immediate interest.
OOC:
there is nothing else to find here at the moment.
Takeshi and Nirion carefully take the axe out of the casket. On this ceremonial armor, Nirion can see some dwarven runes, and to his magical sight, he gleams their meaning. High King Orm Mountainsbane, Slayer of Giants, Master brewer, Wielder of the Axe of lords, Artisan Patriarch, Champion of the Dwarven Clans.

Takeshi gives the axe a quick examination. Of all the magic items he has held in his hand, this is a true Artifact. Much more potent than any other he has ever been near. He could easily spend weeks study this weapon.

Lopeiros have examined the rest of the room. He finds several grooves or channels cut into the walls and ceiling (about 1 cm deep and 1 cm wide). There seems to be a thick coating of blue paint in these grooves.
Apr 12, 2021 9:05 pm
He was a great warrior apparently, a king. he makes a reverent gesture and turns to those going through the cargo. what do we do about the mana bugs?
Apr 12, 2021 9:18 pm
"The great kami blessed the hands who wielded this Nemuranai," exclaimed the wizard. He reverently bowed before the weapon and its former wielder. Then he spoke to the others. "A true warrior would honor this weapon by bearing the blade forth. This artifact is a true one, and its power is likely above any we collectively have witnessed."
Apr 12, 2021 10:27 pm
Turner perused her inventory list as she runs the edge of the feathered quill against her jaw. But immediately her attention was caught by the reverance in Takeshi's voice. When one so steeped in age and wisdom stated an item of such magnitude was present then nothing else mattered.

Freeing her hands, Turner weaved among the boxes to reach the coffin bowing her head toward the deceased king before taking a knee at the elf's side. Hands raised with palms up the wizard requested in a hushed reverent voice, I am neither a warrior nor worthy but wish to behold the sword. If the artifact is handed to Turner she will glory in the craftsmanship and frankly the power of an artifact. Oh this axe has had it's share of glory. By what name do you go by? Turner addresses the axe as she offers a blood offering nicking her thumb on the edge of the blade.
OOC:
I realize this is probably the Axe of Lords but Turner doesn't yet know that information and I just liked being dramatic and seeing if I could get it to talk.
Last edited April 13, 2021 10:03 pm
load next

Thread locked