Gamers exPlane YouTube Series

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
May 23, 2021 5:08 am
You could add the Q&A at the end of the video segments, or load up on the questions and ever couple of episodes add that Q&A
May 23, 2021 5:37 am
Great start. I enjoyed it muchly.

Len

May 23, 2021 6:45 am
Thanks for setting this up Qralloq. It was fun to do, and I'm glad many folks liked it :)
May 23, 2021 12:49 pm
Great first video Mr Q. I enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to many more.
May 23, 2021 1:22 pm
Thanks Cave, I'll PM you about setting up a time.
May 23, 2021 1:55 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
Finally got to listen to the interview fully. Nice episode, I loved it! Interesting discussions, good variety of topics, great interviewee. And also not bad audio and video quality, too - which I think is pretty important for this kind of thing! I would enjoy seeing more episodes. :D

I'd offer my help, but I have no decent camera, or editing skills. XD Unless you need to draw something, I guess! But do I ever have things to say about ghosting, as someone who did it a lot before... Would be cool to hear more of your thoughts about it.

A minor thing, but it was super interesting to hear that you had a game set in Moscow. I would've loved seeing that! I'm usually not a fan of historical settings, but it would've been the one I actually know something about. XD

Anyway, I think this is cool! Kudos to you, and I'll wait for more! :D (Also, you have infectious laugh, so thanks for making me smile. XD)
Thanks. I have thought about people with issues about being seen, or who have poor camera setups. It would be cool to even try a voice chat. We could layer the voice track over scenes from GP or a slideshow of things.

Your thoughts on ghosting would be wonderful, and even just talking about gaming in Russia.
May 23, 2021 4:06 pm
This can be quite beneficial, especially to people new to RPG in general if not only new to PbP RPG.
Keep up the good work and the community will be giving you feedback for sure. I think you're already onto something good ;)
May 23, 2021 4:35 pm
Always interesting putting names to faces. Looking forward to more of these in the future, well done!
May 24, 2021 3:22 pm
Another episode recorded yesterday, this one a more reasonable 16 minutes long, although he and I have a lot more to discuss - follow-up interviews with him to follow. I will post new episodes on Fridays, so expect another to drop on the 28th.

I'll upgrade my webcam as my laptop one isnt as good as I thought it would be, so episode three (to be recorded tonight) should see an improvement. Mainly it's the blurring when I move that bugs me.

I've also realized I use male gender terms automatically. This is despite my IRL gaming groups having cis het men as a distinct minority (like 4/14). I endeavor to be more inclusive.

Lastly, a few people have asked about audio only interviews. This is certainly doable, and I half expected those requested before I started. I think for those, I'll just have a placeholder image rather than attempt to clutter the experience with a slideshow. Or alternatively, just have their camera off for the Zoom so you can still see my blank resting-introvert-face.

Edit: Friday's guest is Kalajel!
Last edited May 24, 2021 4:35 pm
May 25, 2021 1:57 am
Qralloq says:

Thanks. I have thought about people with issues about being seen, or who have poor camera setups. It would be cool to even try a voice chat. We could layer the voice track over scenes from GP or a slideshow of things.
Bold of you to assume I have a decent microphone. :P

But yeah, that would be nice! For a video feed, I can actually draw my avatar character (the propeller succulent!) emoting - you know, like some YT channels do? - so it's not just a blank space. I can probably edit it myself even, just need to figure out how does one do alpha channels in videos...

Anyway, I probably can't do it right now - going to be too many interruptions, plus I'm not actually sure if I have a microphone better than, well, a phone - but I'll let you know when I can. :D Glad to see this continuing!
Last edited May 25, 2021 1:58 am
May 25, 2021 6:08 am
Fabulous idea, this, Qralloq! Looking forward to more in the series!
May 25, 2021 1:37 pm
Enjoyed watching you two chat! Thanks for doing this, Qralloq. I definitely appreciate the community-building aspect of this project. My suggestion would be for you not to shy away from more broadly applicable suggestions, tips, and tricks to make play-by-post work in any context, not just on GP. I think that kind of discussion would potentially serve a much broader public, as advice for running and sustaining a post-based game is sorely lacking out there.
May 25, 2021 4:29 pm
If it becomes more broadly applicable, we could also share it on reddit or wherever and with its connection to GP, it could potentially bring new people here
May 25, 2021 5:01 pm
I've never really found a podcast that I cared about enough to be able to incorporate it into my routine. But this is so... personal/relevant/close to home for me that I watched it thru in one go.

Enjoyed it. Thanks for doing this.
May 27, 2021 10:36 pm
I love this concept, fun to see faces on here.

Suggestions:

I know this isn't the goal at this point but I know video length does matter for YT algorithms. Maybe (along with the long form interviews), short quick sections 10-20min videos could help bump videos in relevant searches.

What about like GM-tales as a segment? Starting interviews with a more focused lens on someone's experience GM-ing her on GP.
May 28, 2021 1:50 pm
I present to you the second episode of Player Versus Player, the interview subtopic to this project. Here I interview GP user Kalajel and we spent almost 50 minutes talking (in two chunks). As before, I think we both could have continued for hours.

I bought a new webcam (you will see the difference in the two chunks) and had some connection issues with my laptop, so I relocated to a computer hard wired to the router. I'll probably use that setup from now on.

Gamers exPlane - Player Versus Player - s1e02 Qralloq v Kalajel

Edit: subtitles now added
The third episode had been recorded, to air next Friday. And I have two more interviews scheduled before then. Whew!

For the third and later episodes, I'm planning on adding a little more to supplement the interviews, following this draft format:

Intro sequence 0:20
Episode synopsis 1:00
Player Versus Player 20:00-25:00
Meme of the week 0:30
Viewer Mail 3:00
Qralloqian Lore 2:00
Did you know...
Wrap up

Viewer Mail will only work with continued mail, so keep it coming!
Edit: YouTube has warned me about a copyright claim for the Scorpions tune that I used for the intro sequence. I'll need to find something that fits their rules for future segments.
Last edited May 29, 2021 12:22 am
May 29, 2021 9:51 am
I have loads of those copyright things on my youtube channel. It just means that if adverts are shown then the music copyright holder gets paid. Meh. Seems fair to me. Although some tunes (those involving alcohol) mean your youtube video can't be watched in Islamic counties.

If you're feeling really geeky then get an AI to write you some music at https://www.aiva.ai/.
Last edited May 29, 2021 9:58 am
May 29, 2021 10:18 am
Tabletopaudio, It's also great for actual play games they have 10 minute tracks but you can easily make an Intro or outro out of the only audio sections
OOC:
It's funny I actually thought about PM'ing you about this, because if you have music in the background the entire time it effectively increases the audio quality
Last edited May 29, 2021 10:20 am
May 30, 2021 1:46 pm
Finally found the time to watch this episode!

Thank you for doing this, I'm excited for everything else you'll put up! 😃

Maybe if you give some notice before you start an interview, let us know who you talk to and some idea what about if you already know, people could ask more suitable questions to incorporate into the episode rather than just generic ones, as a suggestion.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.