Chapter 2, Day 11

load previous
Mar 22, 2018 8:04 pm
Ready yourselves in case they aren't impressed. Ghunril Stands up and lets out a roar challenging the boats in front of them.
Last edited March 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Rolls

Intimidate - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Mar 28, 2018 2:05 am
"I don't suppose they want to crown us their new leader?"
Mar 30, 2018 3:12 pm
The nearest lizardfolk boat slows as Ghunril stands and makes a show of force. An act of intimidation that can only be enhanced as the flickering flame that had consumed the nest of razorfiends suddenly jumps to the main building (I had forgotten there was a fire! Lucky you guys ; )). The boats all seem to halt in the water as the blaze picks up. There is a disagreement, arguing, between two of the lizardfolk on the boat dead ahead of you. A spear is flung and lands five feet to the side of your boat, then the lizardfolk who threw it is suddenly shoved overboard. The boat starts to move out of your way and one of the lizardfolk beckons you to carry on, leaving you with the impression that you won't be harried in your passage.
Mar 30, 2018 5:38 pm
Pawetha continues to paddle the boat for the shore.
Mar 30, 2018 6:17 pm
You arrive at the shore in good time. The lizardfolk keep their distance. As you approach, one of the huts is at your nearest landing point, and the lizardfolk there clear out and watch from afar as you disembark. They are clearly afraid of you.

Once ashore you unload your haul and are faced with your next task: crossing the swamp with your new burdens.
Apr 2, 2018 3:19 pm
Well at least we won't be bothered as we figure out how to get out of this swamp. Ghunril assesses the large pile of loot and considers how they might move it all.
OOC:
Can we distribute it across the group and carry it all at the same time or would that require multiple trips?
Apr 2, 2018 3:43 pm
OOC:
Yes, you should be able to distribute the weight. Each of you will be encumbered - so -10 feet movement - but you'll be able to do it in one trip.

To navigate to the elf camp I'll need a series of 3 Survival checks. These may be done as a team, but you need to elect a leader whose roll will be used as the base, but each other character may still contribute if they like (ie, you may elect to roll to support the leader's check, if you succeed you'll grant a +2, if you fail by 5 or more a -2). Only the leader needs to roll 3 checks, everyone else - if you are contributing -
roll one.
Apr 2, 2018 4:12 pm
"Lead the way, Paws! I’ve got your back."

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Apr 2, 2018 4:36 pm
OOC:
Kaiakas only has a +1 for Survival. He'll roll to help though.

Rolls

Survival assistance - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Apr 2, 2018 5:05 pm
Pawetha will attempt to lead the way, using the knowledge gleaned from the elves.

Rolls

Survival, Advantage from Elven Tutelage - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (19) + 4 = 23

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d20+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

1d20+4 : (12) + 4 = 16

1d20+4 : (19) + 4 = 23

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

Apr 2, 2018 5:22 pm
It's a long hike, but with Pawetha leading the group you make it as the moon reaches its peak in the sky. Somewhere in the thick of the swamp and dark of the night you almost walked into the nest of a clutch of razor-teethed black spine gators, but Kaiakas' sharp nose caught the scent of the creatures and she alerted Paws. With a brief recon effort by Xara, you were able to find a path around them without drawing their attention or interrupting their meal.

As you arrive in the elf camp one of the guards approaches, "Welcome back, we did not expect you to return." He pauses, "We saw the dragon leave the lake. We'll help you get settled in, prepare some warm food and you can tell us what transpired."

Within a few moments a half dozen elves appear and help you relocate your burdensome load into a tent set aside for you, then you are led to a small camp fire. A spiced broth is provided in large cups along with a chunk of fresh bread. Several elves, including the matron and leader of the soldiers you had met before, sit down with you, "What happened? The dragon is not dead, but we saw it flee."
Apr 2, 2018 6:05 pm
"Some goblin was commanding that dragon, and I think his name was Saarvith," Pawetha says between sips of broth. "He was running that whole place for the Red Hand, because we found a letter from an Ulwai with orders. We attacked and managed to slay some of his ogres in the keep, but like you saw, the dragon and its rider escaped.

"We did find a nest of those harrowblades in one of the buildings, but Xara set that up in flames. Some of the grown wyrmkin escaped into the fen, but I'm pretty sure all the eggs have been destroyed, in addition to the main tower.

"One more thing; you guys know anything about a Ghostlord? We saw that name written in some letters, and we saw the label on the map. It seems the Red Hand have something over this Ghostlord and helping him might weaken their efforts."
Apr 3, 2018 2:53 pm
Ghunril lets Paws take the lead in retelling the events of the day as he relaxes and enjoys the broth for what its worth. Though he wishes for some red meat to add some flavor to it.
Apr 4, 2018 1:49 am
Sylleria nods thoughtfully, "You have done us a great service, thank you. We shall watch the skies, and hopefully the dragon nor the razorfiend spawn it brought with it return here. We shall dispatch hunting parties to seek and slay any surviving wyrmkin.

As for the Ghostlord, it is a name we are familiar with. A dangerous lich that lives in the southern reaches of the vale. If he is working with the dragons then the vale is in much graver danger than you can imagine."
Apr 4, 2018 2:22 am
"I'm not certain the lich is with the dragons. The note we found seemed to say the lich was looking for his phylactery. I think the Red Hand was keeping it from him ... it." Kaiakas looked around to his comrades to see if he remembered correctly and if they would back him up.
Apr 4, 2018 3:46 am
"And it's a fair guess to say that if that phylac-something were given back," Pawetha says, continuing the topic, "it might remove that danger by weakening the Red Hand's power.

"Maybe our next destination is finding this Ghostlord."
Apr 4, 2018 4:33 am
"... it almost got Kai, but then I ran and leaped, knocking it flat on its belly before gutting the beast, didn’t even get any of its innards on my boots. Takes a certain amount of skill but that ain’t nothing for me! Wish I could’ve made something out of its skin and bones to add to my collection, but I guess what I got now’s pretty good. Had this made from the dragon Paws and I killed a few days ago. Hey, pass me that ale?." I continue talking to the guard sitting next to me as I eat, only paying attention to the other conversations on occasion.
Apr 4, 2018 5:26 am
"You should not go without knowing who and what you are to face. If you can break the alliance between the Ghostlord and the Red Hand then you must. When I was younger, the Ghostlord was not a lich but a man. If you listen to the stories told by men of the bardic cloth around fires like this, he was a noble druid who worshipped lions and lead a nomadic tribe who lived in what is now the Thornwaste on the southern edges of the vale. The story goes that the nobles of Rhest betrayed the nomadic worshippers of the lions by killing a lion for its pelt, and the nomads responded by murdering the noble hunting party. When word reached Rhest the remained nobles dispatched their cavalry. The nomads did not stand a chance, the bard's will say, and their blood spilled into the depths of night. Their leader, the man who would become the Ghostlord. When the soldiers returned to Rhest they found ghostly lions prowling the streets and were slain to the man.
The region fell into decline and the verdant forests to the south slowly gave way to the wastes that are there now."
She let the story sink in before continuing, "The tale of the bard's, like most that they weave, is only partly true. The Ghostlord was then known as Urikel Zarl. He was a blighter, a cruel druid who had abandoned the path of nature and instead of preserving it drained the land of life for his own gain and power. The nomadic lion worshippers of the tale were indeed lion worshippers, but they were also feral cannibals who believed in death they would be reborn as lions. The lords of Rhest set out to challenge this cult, and slay their dark druid leader. In the ensuing battle all were slain, and the land blighted by the now-Ghostlords influence."
Apr 4, 2018 5:53 am
"So, you're saying we help this Ghostlord, we're only setting up a future enemy?" Pawetha sighs, tossing a piece of bread into her broth in resignation. "I guess it can't be helped. The Red Hand is an immediate threat we have to take care of."

The gnome scratches her scalp, loosening mud and bits of nature. "We just need to be careful, and hope our gift is enough to walk away without getting our brains eaten, or whatever it is liches do for fun. Doing this on behalf of Rhest probably isn't going to go over nicely, too, so we might have to say it's for Brindol. It's sorta true, anyway."
Apr 4, 2018 12:47 pm
Kaiakas turns to Paws, "My vow to Tyr calls me to focus on the greater evil. This druid-lich may be our foe in days to come, but the Red Hand poses a greater threat to many."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.