The Moon in the Well

load previous
Dec 3, 2021 11:08 pm
The slime creature seems absolutely thrilled that you are speaking to it!

"I think this is the temple of an ancient god or goddess, I can't be sure as I have never left this liquid area I inhabit now."

He turns to Raine and answers his question with an apologetic raise of what would be considered his eyebrows.

"I don't know what devotion means, but no one has been here for quite some time. I am a fairly recent addition myself, all I know is I was nothing and then I remember a sudden rushing feeling and I was here! There have been many strange things in the sky the last several moons, like flashes of colored light and shaking in the ground."

The creature's expression turns to one of sorrow,

"There were some tall, solid creatures like you who came here dressed in black and they were very cruel to me, tried to hurt me but somehow I knew what to do to stop them. Some of them went through those doors back there and never came out."

"There is very little to eat in my liquid home, I don't suppose you have any food? I have some hard things left by the cruel ones I can give you if you would spare a bit."
Dec 4, 2021 2:43 am
Verod rises from his catnap to see that he is alone. With a quick scan of the area, he notices the door to the temple is ajar. Enjoying the solitude, he entertains the brief thought of running in the opposite direction. But alas, he slips through the door and finds his crew face to face with a hellish blob. If he had a weapon, he’d have thrown it. The moment of startled surprise gave way to the realization that this thing was talking. And it seemed endeared to Raine. Just when he thought he understood good from evil…

He catches the last words uttered from the slimy mouth and wishes he had food for himself if not to trade. He did wonder if "hard things" might mean weapons and armor, both of which he needs.
Dec 4, 2021 7:41 am
Seeing the others pry open the temple door, Bishka dusts off her hands on her thighs and stands up. "Shall we follow the others, Andreas?" She trudges over and enters last. Seeing the liquid creature materialize puts her on her guard, but she almost feels pity for it immediately. "What is it you eat, exactly? We have ourselves only just escaped from our own 'cruel ones' and don't have much, but we would gladly help if you can tell us how."
Dec 4, 2021 8:03 am
Andreas pulls the doors closed being the last person in. He looked incredibly tense. Church was the last place he needed to be. A cold chill ran down his spine, and his skin itched.

Andreas took another swig from the bottle. He hid in the shadows of the entryway and observed the interaction with the sentient entity that approached so brazenly. It was more horrifying than the Hell he had only so recently come from. He was prepared to smite it.

Rolls

Hiding - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Dec 4, 2021 12:16 pm
"I am hungry, too. Perhaps there is some food inside the building. In any case, when I find some I’ll gladly share. My name is Raine. What should we call you?"

Raine was becoming increasingly curious about the strange creature. What was it? Was it trapped in the fountain, or could it move around freely? Those questions would have to wait for now, though.

"Those other solid creatures. Did they carry hard things with them when they went inside?"
Dec 4, 2021 1:23 pm
Ostarghi is all for feeding this thing and hopefully gaining some useful items in return, but since he never bothered to pick up any of the edible items at the room outside their cell, there is little he can actually do besides witness the interaction along with Mathias.
Dec 4, 2021 4:06 pm
The creature smiles at Bishka,

"I suppose I could eat the same things you eat, I ate a thing from the sky that landed by my liquid home, there was a small creature with a tail too. I'm not picky."

In answer to Raine's query about a name, the creature seems ponderous for a moment before he replies.

"A name? Well I'm not sure why or how I know some of the things I do, but I think my name is Blimgool. Yes, the ones like you who went in and never came out had hard things, made out of different stuff than they were, stuff I can't eat."

Blimgool slumps back down into the fountain for a moment and then surges back to the top, pushing out of the fountain a hand axe and a short sword, both in serviceable condition.

"You may as well have these, I also have some sparkly things but I save those to trade for food to the small creatures that come from the sky. They don't speak like you do and they are very small but they seem smart and will bring me small gifts if I trade for them."
Dec 4, 2021 9:10 pm
Small creatures that come from the sky? What could that be, I wonder?

Raine momentarily forgot his manners as he searched his memory for some glimmer of recognition of the beings that it described. He became aware of his lapse as his friends decided which of them should have which weapon.

"It's generous of you to offer us those items. We'll put them to good use. If you will excuse us now, though, we'll go have a look around inside and see what we can find."

As he left Blimgool's fountain and moved toward the other door he figured that the friendly creature must, in fact, be stuck in the fountain; otherwise, he would've tried to find himself something to eat. Considering his apparent fluidity, Raine began to wonder if, were he able to find an appropriate container, it might be possible for Blimgool to come with them when they eventually moved on from the temple.

When he reached the door he stood quietly beside it and listened for any sounds drifting through from the other side.
Dec 4, 2021 9:41 pm
Raine listens carefully to the door before opening it but the other side is as silent as the grave.

Dec 4, 2021 9:50 pm
" A short sword will serve me very well. Thank you! I’ll be sure to make good on my end of the bargain."
Verod tentatively reaches his claw for the short sword.
Dec 5, 2021 12:59 am
OOC:
Apologies for the short posts, super busy weekend. Ostarghi will have the axe if no one else wants it and will pass his makeshift flail (basically a grappling hook on a rope) to any unarmed party members who can wield it
Dec 5, 2021 3:06 am
"Here, take this tin of beef." Andreas looked into his backpack and pulled one of the few remaining cans opening it and throwing it to the Slime as it became aware it was not in fact hostile. "Probably some rats in here so we will be back with more."
Dec 5, 2021 4:01 pm
Ziva sheepishly accepts the makeshift flail from Ostarghi knowing that she is hardly a warrior but would rather be armed than try to fight with her bare hands. She takes the weapon with her left hand and moves her other hand to her heart in a gesture of thanks.
Dec 5, 2021 8:43 pm
Blimgool eagerly accepts the beef and thanks Andreas for the treat. It reaches out with a pseudopod and draws the tin into it's body where it floats visibly just below the surface.

"Thank you so much! Here, take these other inedible objects in trade!"

Blimgool pushes a mace and another short sword over the edge of the fountain.

"There are the last two of these things that I have. Maybe if you find the cruel beings that went through those doors you can take what they have."
Dec 5, 2021 9:57 pm
"Thank you, Andreas," Raine said.

With additional weapons on offer, he took the short sword and thanked Bimgool before returning to the door. Before opening it, he checked around the frame for a tripwire or anything that appeared out of place that might indicate that the door had been rigged with a trap.
OOC:
I apologize if I am being overly cautious. Raine doubled his initial hit points when he advanced to level one, but is still in the 'one-shot' range.
Dec 5, 2021 10:21 pm
OOC:
better safe than sorry in a game like DCC ;)
Raine inspects the door thoroughly for obvious signs of tampering but finds none. As he runs his fingers slowly along the seams, the door suddenly opens by itself!

A dark hallway leads beyond to an open area.
Dec 6, 2021 3:49 am
Raine exchanged a nervous look with his companions as the door swung open of its own volition. He peered into the darkness ahead for a moment then, with his sword in hand, he began inching his way down the hallway, cautiously and quietly.
Dec 6, 2021 4:13 am
"Thank you for your help, Blimgool. We will bring back anything you can eat." She walks over to the temple door looking like the world's most poorly equipped soldier with a toilet cover for a shield and a pitchfork for a spear. "I'll be in the front with the spooky guy."
Dec 6, 2021 5:56 am
When Bishka stepped up beside Raine, the beekeeper glanced over at her and took notice of the way she carried her shield and pitchfork.

Why didn't I notice that before, he wondered. She looks as if she knows how to use a weapon!

"Here," he said to her, offering to trade the short sword for the pitchfork. "You look like you could make better use of a proper weapon than I can."

He inadvertently proved his point by offering her the weapon blade first; the hilt still gripped in his hand.
OOC:
He doesn't really even come close to stabbing her, but if she accepts the trade it will be an awkward hand-off.
Dec 6, 2021 8:47 am
Bishka shakes her head. "If I accept that sword right now I won't have any fingers left to wield it," she chides. "I only know how to swing a hammer. I've made a few swords under Hragor's instruction, but never fought with one. I think if you're looking to learn, a sword is the best place to start. Although you might want to hold it like this," and she shows him how to properly grip a weapon handle.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.