The Moon in the Well

load previous
Dec 9, 2021 9:01 pm
"I just need to keep my hands from going idle. I'll be guarding the well if anyone needs me."

Andreas set to sharpening the Kris sitting at the mouth of the well using an iron knife along the wedges of stacked steel. He would often stop and admire the piece as it filed down the dinner knife. He worked as a man possessed putting much of his strength into sharpening the Kris, the black steel of it suggested it had been well used, and well maintained. The bloodstains on the steel had been polished by some method, and Andreas wondered if within the temple he would find the implement that was used to do so. It left an interesting orange mark on the steel, embedded deep within the dendrites of it. Impregnating the layers of carbon and iron, twisted together as they had become. Andreas sniffed the knife and smirked. It reeked of human blood.

Wiping the blade on the grey robe he was wearing, he sheathed it and peeked into the well.

Rolls

Luck - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Dec 10, 2021 4:47 am
During his watch shift, Verod begins to process the leather by the fire to make it supple. He cuts strips to use as cordage, he cuts front and back pieces, he then pierces holes where the cordage can bring together this crude armor to protect his vitals. He tries to save enough leather to make bracers next time he gets the chance.
OOC:
Not sure if I need to roll anything so you tell me. It seems reasonable enough for a two hour craft.
Dec 10, 2021 6:14 am
As Andreas attempts to work the kris sword from the altar, a growing sense of pain and sickness begins growing inside him. Before long he is unable to hold the weapon at all.

Verod spends the next few days modifying his heavy tunic and Andreas beats stone and metal scrap into his wooden chest plate to reinforce it.
Dec 10, 2021 10:01 am
After his watch, Raine woke the next shift, laid down on one of the bunks, and was asleep in minutes. He woke late the following morning, shared his breakfast with Blimgool, then settled into a quiet corner and began studying the Sorcerer's manuscript. After lunch, he took a break from the manuscript and went inside to see what Noctys' priests had recorded on the scrolls that were stored in the Temple.

Aside from his meals, which he always made a point of sharing with Blimgool, his shifts on watch, and a few hours of sleep each night, he dedicated the lion's share of his time throughout the week to his studies. His only other distraction was to spend an hour each day under Bishka's tutelage, having accepted her generous offer to help him learn to use the sword that Blimgool had given him.
Last edited December 10, 2021 10:38 am
Dec 10, 2021 11:36 am
Bishka spent the week teaching the others what she could about martial combat and also blacksmithing. She showed them how to check the quality of iron used in weapons, how to tell if gold was real or fake, the properties of gemstones, and some bits about Dwarven culture.
Dec 10, 2021 3:27 pm
After Verod regained his strength through good rest and nutrition, he began joining the sword trainings offering his tips and techniques which were less "formal" and more about leverage and advantages in combat. He started to miss his two-handed style and thought to ask Blimgool during a shared meal if he had another of the hard things like the one he already had given him (holding up the short sword).

Ziva, ever silent, spent her time in contemplation and observation. She saw several opportunities to offer her skills and knowledge but felt too broken to generate the effort. Was anyone else even affected by the harrowing ordeal that they just survived?! Was it just her? Was she losing her mind? Slowly, Andreas, whom she feared and avoided seemed to be the one she could relate to most. She began watching him very closely. No longer from fear but from fascination and growing interest….
Dec 10, 2021 7:04 pm
Blimgool, ever grateful and friendly towards the group, sadly shakes it's head "no" when asked about further weapons. It shows Verod several pieces of quartz and mica that it uses to trade with magpies and says these are the only things he has left.
Dec 10, 2021 10:38 pm
Ostarghi spends most of his time learning from Bishka as he trains with axe and shield, almost a dwarf himself with that set, at times even experiencing why certain fighting techniques are better suited to a different physical frame or combat in tight quarters. Still, he does his best and if asked, will offer to share his knowledge in regards to checking a rope's condition, looking out for weak spots where it might snap, how to coil it so it doesn't get tangled and how to tie a few basic knots.
OOC:
Don't need the pitchfork, so Bishka gets the mace while Ostarghi will hold the axe and likely use the "flail" as a grappling hook proper
Most of Mathias' time is spent creeping in the shadows inside the temple, occasionally even surprising his fellow travellers coming by as he tests his own ability to blend in and remain unnoticed. He will also offer to help Raine with the manuscripts, if nothing else in order to study the handwriting and how to best imitate it.
Dec 11, 2021 4:52 am
https://i.ibb.co/s34zVJw/IMG-20211210-203221-1-37.jpg

The days pass by and the group of escapees recovers their strength on the stores of the temple's original caretakers. Blimgool provides amiable conversation and though you do experience occasional ground tremors they are nothing like those felt back at the mines. Eventually the night of the black moon comes and Noctys speaks to you once more.

"The way is open. You must return before the new moon sets, or you will never leave. Kill the one that carved these runes and I will be in your debt."

"The way" is an old stone well down which once you saw water but now see only darkness. A foul stench wafts up from below... the stench of death.
Dec 11, 2021 5:14 am
"Looks like that grappling hook is going to come quite in handy, Ostarghi," Bishka says as she stares down the well. "Should we play 'oil, water, lava' to see who goes first?"
Dec 11, 2021 7:49 am
"No need. Let's do this."

Andreas runs a length of rope down into the well winding it around his left leg he followed the coil sliding down the rope into the well.
Dec 11, 2021 2:51 pm
Ziva quickly follows Andreas into the well.

Verod makes sure to secure the rope and volunteers to be last. "With these claws, I can climb better than ever."
Dec 11, 2021 4:35 pm
Ostarghi and Mathias make sure to pack some of the food supplies for the journey ahead and join the others down the rope
Dec 11, 2021 4:48 pm
If the others seem to make their way safely down, Bishka will follow behind.
Dec 12, 2021 4:05 am
"Consider it done," Raine replied once Noctys had delivered her instructions. "We'll be back in a few hours."

The former beekeeper followed the lead of Ostarghi and Mathais and filled one of his pockets with oats. Then he tucked his short sword into his belt and followed the group down into the well.
Dec 12, 2021 8:51 pm
About fifty feet down the well, Andreas spots a large crack in the wall of the shaft that seems to peek through to a larger chamber beyond. The crack is much too small for anyone to fit through but the cobbled stone walls of the well shaft seem weak enough to possibly break...
Dec 12, 2021 11:15 pm
Andreas takes the initiative and tries to break open the cracks in the cobblestone.

Rolls

Strength - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Dec 13, 2021 12:30 am
Andreas pries and bashes at the stone but makes little headway. The crack enlarges a bit but not enough to fit through.
Dec 13, 2021 1:16 am
"Anyone have a pry bar? There's an opening down here I can't get it with bare hands."
Dec 13, 2021 1:39 am
Bishka calls down, "Anything of interest on the other side? Maybe a hole is just a hole and we should continue down?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.