The Moon in the Well

load previous
Dec 6, 2021 10:29 pm
"Thank you," Raine replied, chuckling wryly at Bishka's remark.

"I never thought I'd need to learn the sword," he admitted. "They aren't much use when you're tending to bees. I suppose it was short-sighted of me, but I never imagined that I'd be sent back from beyond the grave to free the Goddess of the Night from imprisonment at the hands of a chaos cult. Here we are, though."

He turned his attention back to the hallway and raised the sword in front of him.

"Might as well get on with it, I guess."
Dec 6, 2021 10:46 pm
Andreas takes point, hammer held at the ready and pushed the door open with his clawed left fist.
Dec 7, 2021 3:01 am
Verod, speaking in a low tone, "Raine, my hands are well-used to the hilt of this sized sword. If we should ever have time for it, I will show you defensive maneuvers first. Then you may live long enough to learn to take a life."

Verod takes up the rear once everyone is in motion through the door and into the dark hallway and perks up his ears for any noises that might try to sneak up on the party.
Dec 7, 2021 8:02 am
Ostarghi
Ostarghi watches the exchange between Raine and Bishka, momentarily weighing the recently acquired axe on his right hand. "Somehow, I was under the impression all dwarves knew how to swing axe and hammer. If it's any easier to you than the sword, Bishka, you can have this axe and I can use the mace we got from Blimgool instead."
Mathias
"Thank you for your generosity, Blimgool. Hope we can come out of this place alive and return the favor" Mathias thanks the amorphous creature, before joining the rest of the group, on the lookout for traps or enemies ahead.
Dec 7, 2021 11:55 am
"You are more knowledgeable about dwarves than I expected. You are correct. Dwarves are trained in all manner of weapons, swords included. Pitchforks excluded. But I never took a shine to swords. I like something heavy on one end that smashes my foe to jelly. Axes and hammers primarily. But as I trained as a blacksmit, I have the most familiarty with hammers. That mace is close enough for now if you'd prefer to use the axe or this pitchfork."
OOC:
The pitchfork is surprisingly a d8 so it's actually a good trade for anyone except Bishka, but I feel it fits her character lol.
Dec 8, 2021 3:40 am
https://i.vgy.me/F1knVp.jpg

The darkness of the hallway is short, and opens into the darkness of a temple long forgotten by time and overgrown with vines. In the center of the large square room is a glowing ring of runes carved into the stone floor. Standing in the center of that ring, is a woman made out of darkness itself.

"I am Noctys, goddess of the night. Stand in my presence and behold the beauty of the darkness."

The air seems to grow thin, your breathing becomes labored. This being is without a doubt a thing of eldritch power, to gaze upon her strange and alien beauty is to loose all sense of beauty in the world.

"The Archmagi of the Chaos Cult summoned me here and trapped me within my own temple that I might not interfere with his plan. They will open the portal to the Chaos Dimension and destroy this plane forever. The first helix has opened, the power surge has weakened my prison, but the architect of my captivity is still here below the temple. He uses my power to pervert reality. You must descend the well in the priest's chambers, find the architect and destroy him."

Noctys turns her head which causes all of you to nearly swoon as your focus is dragged along with hers. She raises a hand, almost imperceptibly, yet the motion of her wrist wracks your guts with a sick, animalistic feeling of desire. She points a finger at Raine,

"My favor is upon you. I permit you to call on me, if desperate."

Noctys stands again at ease, as though she had never moved.

"Free me, and I shall grant each of you a wish. The way through the well will only open at the New Moon. One week, I bid you wait in my temple. Take what the priests left when the died and when the moon is black, free me from bondage."

Noctys stands as she had, her imperceptible features frozen in place as though a statue of unspeakable, yet ghastly beauty. A door at the back of the temple opens and you see the spartan barracks of the monks beyond.
Dec 8, 2021 4:26 am
Hoping to find more suitable clothes and possibly some food stores, Ziva heads for the door at the back of the temple.

Rolls

Search - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Dec 8, 2021 4:55 am
The priest's quarters are a large room with several blanketed bunks, four sealed barrels in the back of the room containing oats, roots, salt pork and dried fish. A stack of grey robes sits folded on a table near the barrels, and a row of sandals waits beneath it. A shelving unit stands near the door that is full of scrolls which look yellow with age. Opposite the wall of bunks is an altar decorated with trappings of the goddess Noctys, a ceremonial kriss sword hangs on the wall above it.
Dec 8, 2021 6:04 am
Andreas takes a robe and places a pair of sandals on his bare feet, sighing contented the moment his aching feet had something softer than earth upon them. He pulled the robe overhead and layered it with his makeshift armor trying to increase the effectiveness of his kit using strength of arms to ply the layers together.

"Best we prepare now. What I wouldn't give for a bow."

Rolls

Crafting - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Dec 8, 2021 6:55 am
Verod moves quickly to the food and begins to gorge on each of the items and storing a few dried fish for another meal later.

Ziva sees Andreas don one of the gray robes and hesitates but ultimately grabs one and some sandals but moves to a dark corner to change.
Dec 8, 2021 6:56 am
"Did I hear correctly that we have to stay here for an entire week?" Bishka asks no one in particular.
Dec 8, 2021 7:12 am
Raine listened intently to Noctys' instructions and nodded his head in a gesture of respect when she gave him permission to call upon her if the task became desperate.

"You have kept your end of the bargain. I will keep mine."

He waited a moment to be sure that she had said all she intended to say then went to join the others in the barracks. He was happy to doff the dirty coveralls in favor of a clean and much softer robe and a pair of sandals As he had done before, he tucked the Sorcerers manuscript safely into one of the robe's pockets. Then he took a serving of the salted pork, dried fish, and roots and went back outside to sit at the edge of the fountain and share his meal with Blimgool.

Exhaustion finally caught up with him as he ate and he almost fell asleep next to the fountain. He caught himself nodding off, though, and forced himself to get up and head back inside. There was one more thing to be done before he could sleep.

When he rejoined the others he said, "I know that it feels safe here, but I think it would be foolish not to post a watch. If we each stand guard for an hour we will all still get a good night's rest. I will take the first shift and wake one of you in an hour. Does that seem reasonable to everyone?"
Dec 8, 2021 9:43 am
"No rest just yet. If you're going to stay here start cooking and preparing bandages. We need to make sure nothing is going to bushwack us in our sleep." Andreas looked towards the well. "Anyone have rope?"

Andreas rubbed his forehead as if he were fighting a splitting headache, maybe it was the horns growing from his forehead. They had grown quite long, small rivulets of blood had been dripping from them for some time. Two branching horns with two points each grew symmetrical from his face. Almost encircled by then horns was a barely visible mote of light. His teeth had doubled in size and jaw elongated, it twisted his mouth into an imperious sneer.

For the past hour, Andreas had been steaming. Now his clothes had completely dried, his skin was flushing deep red.

"You wouldn't believe the pain I'm in right now, there's something burning inside me..."
Dec 8, 2021 10:41 pm
Raine regarded Andreas sympathetically. The changes that were occurring in his physical form were alarming and, Raine imagined, quite painful. With every hour that passed, he looked less like a man and more like one of the fiends that had circled Raine hungrily while the beekeeper was adrift in the void.

"I am sorry. I can only imagine how you must feel. I wish that there was something that I could do to ease your pain. Noctys has offered to grant each of you a wish once she is freed. Perhaps once that is done she will be able to help you. I know that isn't any comfort now, but it is all that I have to offer.

Given your discomfort, I understand that you may not be able to rest, but there is nothing that we can do at the moment to improve our chances of survival more than sleep. The meat is cured and the fish dried, so there is ample to eat without cooking anything. As for the rest, people can work on crafting things as they see fit while they are on watch.

I don't want you to be alone, though. So, I will amend my suggestion. I propose that we watch in pairs on two-hour shifts. I will still stand the first watch, with you I assume?"
Dec 9, 2021 12:56 am
Ziva motions to Raine with a lean of her head in her hands as if to pantomime sleep then points to herself and puts up two fingers. It appears that she is volunteering for 2nd watch.

Verod has been eager for sleep so he says, "Looks like this one (pointing to Ziva) is signing up for second watch so I may as well too. I’m sleeping with my sword and keeping half an eye open anyway. Can’t afford to dream this close to darkness."
Last edited December 9, 2021 12:57 am
Dec 9, 2021 4:07 am
"I'm used to waking up early to prepare the forge so I'll take final watches. In our free time I can also teach people how to use a sword correctly. I don't want any missing fingers if I can help it." Bishka takes a monk robe, much too flimsy for her to wear, but would make an excellent bedroll, especially given her smaller size. She finds a quiet spot and prepares her sleeping area.
Dec 9, 2021 12:07 pm
Mathias
Still shaken by the encounter with the Night Goddess, Mathias changes into the lighter, more comfortable robes, then walks up to Andreas and unhooks the bow from his back, offering it to his fiendish-looking companion. "This belonged to Ilva. She gave her life for mine, so I keep it as a memento. Put it to good use and honour her memory."
OOC:
Shortbow (1d6 damage)
Ostarghi
As he witnesses the exchange, Ostarghi also offers the coil of rope to Andreas. "Got plenty to spare after making that grappling hook flail thing. What feels like a lifetime ago I used to be a ropemaker, so the cultists had put my skill to use in my spare time. Had some to bring with me when we escaped the slave pens."

He then takes a bite out of the food items available, making sure to save some for Blimgool outside as promised. "We'll fill in for whatever shift we're needed" he says to no one in particular, waving a piece of salted port towards Mathias. He then turns to Bishka. "I'll take you up on your offer, miss. Can't say I'm a master with any weapon but I can handle myself, it's the shield here that feels awkward. Between the axe, the mace and that wavy-bladed sword on the wall, we got a bunch of different weapons to train with. Plus any other 'solid items' ol'Blimgool might provide us out there."
OOC:
I'm a little lost, so shortbow is passed to Andreas, then there's the axe, flail, mace, pitchfork and the ceremonial kris sword. Which one is Bishka sticking with and which can Ostarghi grab to replace his makeshift flail? Also does Blimpgool indeed give us anything for offering him food?
Dec 9, 2021 1:46 pm
OOC:
Bishka wants to trade her pitchfork for the mace.
Dec 9, 2021 4:58 pm
OOC:
Blimgool gave you all the weapons he had. The rest is prayer beads and junk he trades to magpies for acorns
Dec 9, 2021 8:41 pm
OOC: If no one has any objections Andreas will take the ceremonial Kris and prayer beads.
Last edited December 9, 2021 8:47 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.