Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Dec 19, 2016 4:46 pm
A beam of pure clear light smites Adan; he recoils from the light and staggers back another step as Mordred calls for guards. As soon as he turns to face the party again, Mordred casts his spell, spraying sheets of flame in a cone aimed directly at him. The false acolyte, a little behind and to the right of Adan, is caught in the blast as well.

Edit: Adan and the false acolyte cover their faces and turn away from the flames, patting their smoldering clothes down as soon as the spell abates.

Some of the beggars and transients on the temple steps have started to stand up and come a little closer, watching the scene at Culsu's shrine play out before them. One of them cries out: "Sorcery! Sorcery, in the sight of the holy places!"

Seeing Mordred as the clearest and most present danger after that display, Adan's false beggar springs up from his crouch towards him, blades flashing.

Edit 2: Mordred manages to parry away the scimitar with his off hand but leaves himself open to the dagger that plunges into his side.

The third combat round begins. Felor goes first, then the false acolyte, then Leth, then Adan, then everybody else in the party, then the "beggar."

Rolls

Adan DEX save - (1d20)

(11) = 11

False Acolyte DEX save - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Adan base damage - (3d6)

(662) = 14

False Acolyte base damage - (3d6)

(336) = 12

"Beggar" scimitar attack vs Mordred - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

"Beggar" dagger attack vs Mordred - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Dagger damage to Mordred - (1d4+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Dec 19, 2016 5:32 pm
Felor moves to Mordred's side, and clamping his hand down on his ally's wrist, says "My friend, let Fjorgyn protect you!"
Mordred's skin immediate transmutes from his normal infernal red to a dull, woody brown, and takes on a texture not unlike that of tree bark.
Then, turning back to Adan, he shouts "May Fjorgyn's light further rebuke you, fiend!"

Cast Barkskin on Mordred
Quote:
Barkskin
Duration: up to 1 hour
You touch a willing creature. Until the spell ends, the target’s skin has a rough, bark-like appearance, and the target’s AC can’t be less than 16, regardless of what kind of armor it is wearing.
Cast Sacred Flame (cantrip) on Adan
Quote:
The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 radiant damage.
Last edited December 20, 2016 9:21 am

Rolls

Sacred Flame damage if applicable (radiant) - (1d8)

(5) = 5

Dec 19, 2016 5:41 pm
Felor presses his faith-based offensive against Adan.

Edit: Adan seems to shrug off the sacred flame and extends his silver sword toward Felor. "You should have stayed in your grove, wood-priest."

Two crackling bolts of pale blue infernal energy shoot toward Felor.

Edit 2: Felor lunges away from the first bolt but the second seems to track his movements, slamming into his chest and bursting into sharp, cascading waves of breathtaking pain.

I mixed up Adan and the acolyte's turns, oops. Leth, you're up.

Rolls

Adan DEX save - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Agonizing Blast to Felor - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Agonizing Blast to Felor - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Damage to Felor - (1d10+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Dec 19, 2016 5:57 pm
Zangua, on review the Burning Hands would have broken the acolyte's concentration; you're free of the Hold Person spell now and can act after Leth and the acolyte take their turns for this round.
Dec 19, 2016 8:14 pm
OOC:
I guess I'll take advantage of Felor's guiding bolt.
sorry about that one.

(Also technically Felor, you should have had advantage on your attack from my distracting strike, I think? Not that it really matters; you hit him anyway.
Seeing Adan distracted by Felor, Leth seizes the opportunity to strike at Adan again, moving a bit to the side to hopefully keep himself out of range of anyone that might want to come after him.
29/37 HP
OOC:
A question: "Creature" means any living thing, right? I have this ability:
Quote:
Colossus Slayer: Your tenacity can wear down the most potent foes. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, the creature takes an extra 1d8 damage if it's below its hit point maximum. You can deal this extra damage only once per turn.
This means I can get an extra d8 damage against Adan, assuming he's a "creature" right?
Edit: ....boooooooooo die rolls
Last edited December 19, 2016 8:21 pm

Rolls

Arrowing Adan - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Arrowing Adan Advatageously - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

D'Arrow Damage - (1d8+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Colossus Slayer! (Hopefully) - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Dec 19, 2016 8:18 pm
You know what? Superiority Dice!
Quote:
When you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this maneuver before or after making the attack roll, but before any effects of the attack are applied.
Just not sure which attack roll this would apply to?

Edit again: .....sigh.
Last edited December 19, 2016 8:21 pm

Rolls

Precision Strike, don't fail me now - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Dec 19, 2016 8:27 pm
Leth sends an arrow whizzing past Adan's head.

Yes, he counts as a creature.

"We should have brought more," the false acolyte hisses under his breath as he repeats the motions of his Hold Person spell, this time directed at Leth. Leth, make a Wisdom saving throw.

Somewhere in the distance, you hear bells ringing.

Domarc, Mordred, and Zangua, you can take your actions.

Edit: That superiority die moved the arrow a little closer to Adan's head, but it's still a miss.
Dec 19, 2016 8:29 pm
OOC:
With the way I just rolled, I'm not expecting great things here... how does one throw away and get a new set of electronic dice?

Rolls

Wisdom saving throw - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Dec 19, 2016 8:36 pm
Here's a little good news: your saving throw succeeded.

Domarc, Mordred, and Zangua are up.
Dec 19, 2016 8:40 pm
Now out of sight, Domarc drops invisibility and casts Disguise Self to change his appearance to that of Zora. Taking a deep breath, he walks back out into the street and lets out a long, loud, high-pitched scream.

Bonus action: Bardic Inspiration die to Zangua.
Last edited December 19, 2016 8:42 pm
Dec 19, 2016 9:59 pm
All heads whip around to the source of the scream. After registering the sight of Zora emerging from an alleyway screaming, Adan looks back, his expression flat. "Darux. Get her."

The "beggar" takes off running toward Domarc-Zora. In the distance, the bells keep ringing.

Mordred and Zangua, you're up!
Dec 19, 2016 10:24 pm
"Assassins!" cries Zangua, trying to maintain the appearance of an innocent traveler. He draws his club and throws a handaxe toward Adan. The fighter then surges forward, another handaxe appearing in his hand as he lays into the man he feels is responsible for the whole mess.

Rolls

Thrown Handaxe vs Adan, Damage - (1d20+6, 1d6+4)

1d20+6 : (12) + 6 = 18

1d6+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

Action Surge, Club vs Adan, Damage - (1d20+6, 1d4+4)

1d20+6 : (8) + 6 = 14

1d4+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Bonus Action Handaxe vs Adan, Damage - (1d20+6, 1d6+4)

1d20+6 : (2) + 6 = 8

1d6+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Dec 19, 2016 10:40 pm
Zangua's handaxe flips end over end as it flies through the air in a tight, fast arc that ends in Adan's thigh. Adan screams and stands frozen in shock as Zangua closes in and batters him with his club, following up with an offhand swing of his other handaxe that misses its mark as Adan stumbles backwards, badly wounded.

All the poor folk who were resting on the temple steps are up now and watching intently as the battle plays out, and cowled heads peek out of the windows of the dormitory next to Erat's temple. One of them is entreating you all, in the name of the gods, to lay down your arms and stop spilling blood. From a narrow side street on the other side of the temple, orange light and shadows flicker against the sides of the buildings, accompanied by indistinct shouts. And all the while, the bells keep ringing, faint but clear.

Mordred, it's your turn.
Dec 20, 2016 9:39 am
OOC:
Quote:
I guess I'll take advantage of Felor's guiding bolt.
That only lasted until the start of my next turn, which already happened, but doesn't matter as it didn't help...
Dec 20, 2016 7:13 pm
As a reaction to the damage I took from the beggar, I am going to Hellish Rebuke him.
Quote:
Reaction to taking damage

You point your finger, and the creature that damaged you is momentarily surrounded by hellish flames. The creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. It takes 3d10 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Standing up, Mordred closes on Adan (Cunning Action Dash if needed) and takes advantage of his distracted state to deliver a Sneak attack with his sword.

Rolls

Hellish Rebuke damage - (3d10)

(388) = 19

Sneak Attack - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Base Damage - (1d8+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Sneak Attack Bonus Damage - (2d6)

(51) = 6

Dec 20, 2016 7:17 pm
As Darux the "beggar" runs off towards Domarc, he bursts into flames. Screaming, he tumbles on the ground.

Edit: Darux writhes on the ground, and then the flames vanish as quickly as they appeared. He lurches back to a standing position, and casts a dazed look back at Adan -- "B-behind you!" he cries, too late to warn Adan in time to avoid the bite of Mordred's blade. Adan drops his short sword and wheels around, defensively holding the catchpole out before him with both hands, his lips pressed together tightly.

The light coming from the left of Erat's temple grows brighter, and two guards race into view from the side street, skidding to a halt in front of the temple. "Halt! Lay down your weapons!" one of them shouts.

"VANDALS!" Adan screams before anyone else can react. "They broke down the door to Culsu's shrine! I and these others tried to stop them!"

"There are sorcerers among them!" somebody yells from the steps of Ziu-Pater's temple.

The guards exchange a quick look and start to jog toward you. At the same time, Darux remembers his instructions and starts running toward Domarc again.

The fourth combat round begins. Felor goes first, then the false acolyte, then Leth, then Adan, then everybody else in the party, then Darux. I might move some turns around to keep things moving if necessary.

Rolls

Darux DEX save - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Dec 20, 2016 10:01 pm
OK here's what I wanna do: Adan and the false acolyte are hesitant to attack the party in front of the guards, so their turns will be delayed until the end of this round. Any party member can take an action now!
Dec 20, 2016 10:29 pm
"We are innocent! Arrest us all if you have to!" shouts Zangua. "Look out! He has a poisoned blade!" As if to defend himself, Zangua lashes out with his weapons to try and knock Adan unconscious.

Rolls

Bonus action Handaxe vs Adan, knockout damage - (1d20+6, 1d6+4)

1d20+6 : (7) + 6 = 13

1d6+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Club vs Adan, knockout damage - (1d20+6, 1d4+4)

1d20+6 : (13) + 6 = 19

1d4+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Dec 20, 2016 10:41 pm
As soon as Zangua makes his move, the guards rush in. Adan ducks the blunt end of Zangua's handaxe, but isn't fast enough to avoid the folllowup from his club. The false acolyte rushes behind him to catch him as he stumbles.

The guards will close to melee range next round. Domarc, Felor, Leth, Mordred, you can all take your turns.

Rolls

Two city guards' initiative - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Dec 20, 2016 11:16 pm
How close to me is Darux? And are the guards moving towards us at all?
load next

Thread locked