Descending the Temple Depths

Feb 12, 2022 1:02 pm
... Continuing from Off the Beaten Track

With loud creaks the rusted hinges move and the door swings open towards you --crowding everyone on the stairs and threatening to push them into the water.

A 'guardian' of the door appears to leap at you. But then --as though just glad to finally get out-- lies still, outstretched, half inside and half on the stairs. Nothing by a moss-covered human skeleton.

Whereas the temple building above was sterile and devoid of life, here, down below, it smells of life --possibly too much so. Unseen insects (you hope) scuttle away from your light, easily heard in the silence. The ground is covered in soft, springy moss and various vividly coloured fungi sprout --intermittently-- from many of the surfaces.

At least the constant dripping of the stairwell is absent inside. Instead, a cool damp pervades the air.

What do you do?
Feb 12, 2022 1:03 pm
- Falur -

Something (a half-remembered warning, maybe) about the fungi worries you. Few of the others (except maybe Dirk, you think) would know to be wary, so it probably falls to you keep your wits about you and spot any danger.
OOC:
No actions needed now, but you are aware that caution might be needed, going forward.
Feb 12, 2022 2:03 pm
Albert looks at the part of his broomstick where it hit the rope. Hmmm... Did that do anything? He thinks to himself. Then a click and the rumble of stones distracts him. "What's that?" He looks around and sees Roald coming down the stairs. Ready to hear Roald's report he waits for him to speak, but no sound comes out, prompting Albert to look behind him at the door where Rook was working on the lock.

A little yelp escapes his mouth when he sees the skeletal figure. He quickly steps in front of Asha to shield her, inadvertently knocking her into Roald, but soon it becomes clear they are just dead bones. That's when the last sliver of daylight leaves the stairwell. Looks like it'll be only torchlight from now on.
"Is everyone alright?" He counts heads to see if everyone is there. "Looks like we're all here." he says with a sigh of relief.

"Hey, you got the door open! Great work, Rook." He smiles at Rook. "I'm pretty sure, I hit that rope... or whatever it was... straight on." Albert says with a hint of pride in his voice. He checks the surroundings "Does anyone else feel different, or is that just me?"
Feb 12, 2022 2:45 pm
Roald overlooks the situation in front of him.''feeling different for sure'' Roald says, as he helps Asha regaining her balance.
''And even worse, we just lost or way out I'm afraid, the stairwell is closed above us ''
With disgust in his voice:''It looks like we've got no choice but to go ...there!
Feb 12, 2022 2:57 pm
"That was that plan, anyway." The captain says quietly in reply to the news that there is no other way.

"Yes...?" She answers Albert's question hesitantly. "Something has changed." She looks at the sword in her hand --so ineffective a moment ago-- and then down at the mossy skeleton, sprawled at her feet. Considering.
Feb 13, 2022 1:40 am
"Changed indeed..." mutters Rook. "Not a single thing grew inside the temple above, and now this place looks like the underside of a log. Changed indeed.... but we are committed now." He glances at Dirk, and then nods at his machete. "You look well-equipped to clear any underbrush that might arise. Why don't you go first?"
Feb 13, 2022 9:23 am
Yes lets move on but that moss looks like something I have seen on the dying trees in my forest so keep away if you can
Feb 13, 2022 12:13 pm
Dirk holds his torch and carefully examines the skeleton. "That's weird, this guy kept his bones together pretty good while falling, I guess that moss is holding it together?" Dirk keeps a tight grip on his machete "Let's hope it isn't one of those lively skeletons that you told me about, Albert." He turns to look into the new mossy area that the skeleton hailed from. Seeing the colorful mushrooms strikes a thought. Nourishment from death. Let's hope this place doesn't kill and eat us like that poor soul.

Responding to Rook, Dirk dryly responds with a smirk; "Not so much an underbrush as it is an "under-fungus", heh." He gingerly steps over the skeleton and into the new area.
Feb 13, 2022 2:05 pm
"I sure hope it isn't, Dirk. Maybe we should throw its legs in the water. So it doesn't get up to stab us in the back." He looks warily at the bones. "Just to be safe." Albert slips his broom behind his backpack again to have both hands free and heads to the boney humanoid to dismantle it, throwing the legs into the water.

"Right, let's see what this temple has been hiding all this time." Albert says with determination. "With Raynor's protection, we are bound to succeed!" At this, he follows Dirk through the door. And maybe I'll find out what happened to Aunt Mertle.
Feb 13, 2022 5:01 pm
''I'l take the rear!
Roald let's everybody pass and slams the door shut when he goes through.
The skeleton still fresh in his memory, he frequently looks over his shoulder to make sure nothing is following them.
Feb 13, 2022 6:50 pm
I am still worried about the fungus so take up my position behind Dirk so I can see if anything suspicious is uncovered.
Lead on Dirk but not too fast in case we meet something unexpected
Feb 14, 2022 3:37 am
Rook graciously let Albert and then the Captain pass ahead of him. Let them find whatever it was that was drawing them down here. The comment from the new fellow about the dangers of the mushrooms made him resolve to tread lightly; he'd not slip on this muck and fall into it.
OOC:
Edit: Sorry, hit send before finishing
Last edited February 14, 2022 3:42 am
Feb 14, 2022 4:03 am
OOC:
Marching Order: Dirk, Falur, Albert, Asha, captain, Rook, Roald?
With the door closed the air quickly becomes still and stuffy, the various smells assault your senses --for some of you bringing memories of mould and decay.

The passage T-junctions a short way ahead. "Does anyone have a strategy for navigating such a maze?" The captain asks --her voice very soft, even in the silence down here.

"Where are are even going?" Asha asks, but quietly enough that she maybe does not want anyone to hear.
• Where are you all wanting to go? Final destination.

Dirk: As the lead explorer (and the one with tomb-raiding experience?), give us a roll (and accompanying fiction to justify the Stat used) to find an efficient route. (Decipher probably applies.)
Falur: The scent-memory triggers something for you. Make a Survival roll (probably +WIS) to pick up on dangers, and an Awareness roll (also probably +WIS) to see if you do it in time.
Feb 14, 2022 11:40 am
ooc: since Roald has joined the party for the adventure and to see more of the world, the journey itself IS his destination. That being said, if someone has an interesting goal or destination, he would probably tag along.
Feb 14, 2022 1:01 pm
Albert walks carefully behind Falur, checking where he puts his feet. He looks at both passageways of the junction. "This one seems to be less overgrown." He points out. I have no way to figure out which hallway it was where Aunt Mertle's Brooch was dropped, but it was definitely not filled with mushrooms in my dream. "Maybe we should go that way? Take the easy route." He looks to Dirk and Falur for guidance. "What you do guys think?"
Feb 14, 2022 5:41 pm
Survival Roll 2d6+3

(32) + 3 = 8

Awareness Role

Rolls

Awareness Roll - (2d6+3)

(55) + 3 = 13

Feb 14, 2022 11:27 pm
- Falur -

You see a puff of spores from a fungal bloom at head-height on the wall a little ways down the passage. Now you remember what was nagging at you: These are the ones that you remember exploding when exposed to fire... fire, as from the torches the party is using for light.

So long as the torches are kept well away from the mushrooms you don't think they should ignite, but you currently have no way of predicting when they are going to puff out as the one ahead just did. If they do that near an open flame it would probably be bad.

What do you do?
Feb 15, 2022 9:06 am
"Temples are built to help guide the faithful into worship and are usually quite easy to navigate. . . but. . . I emphasize 'usually'. This place is quite queer compared to most other temples I've seen. Thankfully I sketched out a simple outline of the place before entering, so I roughly know where we are." Dirk takes out his parchment and carefully holds it while also holding his torch. I see, so if we just entered here, the important part of the temple should be riiiiight here. Dirk points at the area where he thinks the reliquary should be. Looking up, he sees that direction is to the right. "The good stuff should be to the right of that fork." Dirk starts to walk in that direction.
OOC:
Dirk attempts to Decipher the location of where he thinks the "Horn of the Moon" is located.

Rolls

Decipher+INT - (2d6+1)

(32) + 1 = 6

Feb 15, 2022 9:20 am
Wait a minute everyone I have just seen one of the fungus growths puff out its spores, and that was what was at the back of my mind before when I said they reminded me of something I ha seen in the forest. The problem is those spores can explode if the touch a flame that could cause real damage to the torch bearer.

The problem is I have no way of telling when one of the mushrooms is going to puff out its spores. Does anyone have a way of lighting our path without using a bare flame?

Falur looks round his group of companions hoping someone will have a solution so they follow Dirk's path.
Feb 15, 2022 11:23 am
''Maybe they react to something, like sound, vibration, small gusts of wind,... We could try to find out what sets them off, and then either be careful, or make them puff before our torch reaches the fungus.
This means of course that we have to spot them all!''
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.