Call for Submissions

May 29, 2022 6:37 pm
Many works of fiction began from gameplay. The Dragonlance novels spun from Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's own campaign while they worked at TSR. The Malazan Books of the Fallen arose from Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont's long term GURPS campaign. James S.A. Corey's The Expanse novels came from a game, rumoured to originate with Traveller.

The worlds of roleplaying and fiction writing continuously cross over. Who hasn't wondered if their campaign wouldn't make for good fiction? Many have wanted to write the next steps for a character you brought to life in game.

The Games We Play is a publishing project dreamed up by Qralloq and Thielindra, husband and wife writers. Over the past many years, we've attended numerous conferences on writing, participated in professional writing groups, written many stories, and sold several for publishing. We also edit and critique manuscripts written by other published authors in our personal writing groups. Finally, Qralloq self-published his own novel in 2018.

What we propose is to curate and publish a collection of short stories written by Gamers Plane's own community. This is a call for those stories, inspired by tabletop roleplaying games, be those characters, settings, or plots. Bring us your wackiest adventures, fantastic characters, and epic moments from or inspired by your games that will forever be etched in your memories, turned into full, complete stories.

Who Can Submit
This call will only be open to members of GP. Prior publishing credits or experience not required.

Genre Expectations
Any genre is open. Inspiration from a TTRPG is the connective tissue.

Word Limit
Word Count: 2000 to 7500. (Longer pieces will be considered on an individual basis, dependent on length and number of other stories submitted.)

In addition, we may include a limited amount of art within the text.

Submissions Conditions
Accepts Multiple Submissions
Accepts Unpublished Pieces and limited number of reprints.
Accepts Simultaneous Submissions, but please let us know if your story is accepted elsewhere.
Standard formatting preferred, but not required.

Our Process
1. Advertise -- This!
2. Answer questions. Q and A on GP forum.
3. Time Limit -- the submission window will be open for three months, ending on August 31, 2022. While we will acknowledge receipt of stories submitted as we receive them, acceptance will only be communicated after the submission window closes.
4. Read the submissions -- we may need several weeks to get through the slush pile, but we'll intend to complete that in September.
5. Select the pieces best suited -- this is by necessity somewhat arbitrary, and we reserve the right to make our choices and live by them.
6. Work with the selected authors to edit the stories into their best form.
7. Layout, design, cover art, illustrations, and formatting.
8. Publish!
Please send submissions to eastontales@gmail.com with your zodiac sign as the subject of your email. Please include a brief description of your tabletop roleplaying game based source of inspiration.

You may submit more than one story.

We'd prefer to use Google Docs or Microsoft Word, as those tools will make the collaborative editing process easier to share our suggestions back to the author. If you send your story in a different format, we'll likely convert the story to one of those for collaborative editing.

Royalties
We will use Pubshare to distribute equal royalties regardless of length to the creative talents involved. Cover art will receive 5% and story illustrator 10%. Artists to be determined at a later date.
Jun 1, 2022 6:11 am
This is a wonderful idea! I'll get to work and see if I can come up with something :)
Jun 1, 2022 8:21 am
Just to clarify, hopefully to others as well, these are story inspired by characters or events in the game we play, not the games we actually played right?

Basically you're not looking to turn games into stories as I initially understood from the other post (before coffee, obviously). There's a lot of great written content just there waiting to be fair, but that could be a different initiative :D
Jun 1, 2022 8:26 am
Pretty sure either is fine
Jun 1, 2022 1:10 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Pretty sure either is fine
Correct. New stories inspired by characters or games and settings, but if you have a game campaign that could be a strong story, by all means, we would love to read that as well.
Jun 1, 2022 2:43 pm
Great idea. I am going to give it a go as it seems like a great opportunity!
Jun 2, 2022 3:20 am
How will you handle copyrighted material, such as the mention of certain settings like Eberron? I'm not too familiar with what exactly is copyrighted and what isn't in an RPG.

Edit: I did not see that there was an FAQ about this. Disregard.
Last edited June 2, 2022 3:31 am
Jun 3, 2022 3:22 pm
saevikas says:
Could someone point me to the FAQ mentioned here?
Jun 3, 2022 4:10 pm
Equinox says:
saevikas says:
Could someone point me to the FAQ mentioned here?
https://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/25586/
Jun 3, 2022 10:00 pm
Thank you
Jun 10, 2022 1:50 pm
What a great idea!

I've never had the guts to write, let alone submit, a piece for something like this. But I swear I will this time. It won't matter to me that it'll probably suck and not make the cut. The main thing is to actually finish something and put it out there.
Jun 10, 2022 2:45 pm
We're certainly cognizant that most GP users aren't professional writers, or necessarily fully fluent in English. These alone will not be barriers and we are willing to help each of you turn your manuscript into something awesome, whether that's tiny tweaks or more complex changes.

We actually like that process, and look forward to the challenge.
Jun 13, 2022 4:32 pm
Awesome idea! What's the rule for using pen names?
Jun 13, 2022 4:35 pm
Do you prefer stories from a character perspective or is a recounting of what happened at the table appropriate?
Jun 13, 2022 4:51 pm
Pen names are perfectly fine. We will only require some sort of identification for payment upon acceptance through Pubshare, but that remains private between us and the author.

Both character perspective (first person POV) or recounting the table adventure (omniscient or third person POV) are accepted. Use whatever you find works best for you and your story.
Jun 19, 2022 7:03 pm
Qralloq says:
Please send submissions to eastontales@gmail.com with your zodiac sign as the subject of your email.
This seems like evil voodoo 🤔
Qralloq says:
Please include a brief description of your tabletop roleplaying game based source of inspiration.
But my question is related to this one... does it have to be an actual, existing game with a name? There were a few ideas thrown around and not (yet!) finished, one of them I think could be interesting for this (if I ever find the time :D)
Last edited June 19, 2022 7:04 pm
Jun 19, 2022 7:08 pm
Drawing inspiration from a RPG is key, but that sort of inspiration takes many forms. If you discovered an idea while considering a game or character for a game, that certainly fits.
Jul 10, 2022 10:07 pm
Adam sent a note to Qralloq,bowlofspinach
Jul 12, 2022 12:55 am
Qralloq sent a note to Qralloq,Adam
Jul 12, 2022 2:01 pm
Adam sent a note to Qralloq,Adam
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.