2: Valley of Dead Unicorns

load previous
Sep 20, 2022 2:57 pm
OOC:
Can we have Sheila amd Diana 'test' the shield, ie do a check or roll to see if they can figure out what kind it is, can it be dispelled, or do we wear it down with damage etc
Sep 20, 2022 3:44 pm
The field was an oval over the tower, and it touched the ground 15 feet from the tower's walls. Whether it extended into the ground remained uncertain. The air killers stood just outside the field.
OOC:
Physical tests and Arcana are definitely allowed!
Sep 20, 2022 5:05 pm
OOC:
I guess there's not much point to getting past the stalkers, then. It doesn't make any sense if we're then blocked as soon as we get to the shield. I agree with @BedzoneII, I think having one of them move up to test the shield is a great idea.
Sep 21, 2022 1:59 am
OOC:
If Diana is still invisible, she'll go check the shield. If the inivisibility has worn off, she'll see if Sheila is comfortable sneaking up to test the shield. If not, Diana's willing to sneak up the old fashioned way (i.e. while visible).
Sep 21, 2022 2:16 am
OOC:
Still invisible. Let's (not) see what you're gonna do!
Sep 21, 2022 2:52 am
"I'll go check the shield out," Diana says. She cuts off the path, so that she can hopefully find a place to test the shield where the stalkers aren't hanging out.
OOC:
Diana will try to be stealthy. If she gets to the shield without any trouble, she will first toss something small at the shield - a twig, acorn, small stone, or even a clod of dirt.

Rolls

Stealth roll (rolling twice in casse Invisibility provides advantage) - (1d20+11, 1d20+11)

1d20+11 : (12) + 11 = 23

1d20+11 : (20) + 11 = 31

Sep 21, 2022 3:07 am
The air killers were equally spaced around the perimeter of the shield but Diana managed to effortlessly evade their notice.
Sep 21, 2022 4:17 am
In the meantime, Hank paid attention to the nature of the wards that protected the shield. Putting on the eyeglasses that let him observe things from a distance, he now looked for what kind of magic the wards entailed.
OOC:
Eyes of the Eagle, it's for Perception, but well, just adding advantage anyway.

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (11) + 5 = 16

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

Sep 21, 2022 4:26 am
It was definitely an evocation-based force field but it was mixed with another arcane energy Hank couldn't identify.
Sep 21, 2022 1:16 pm
Waiting for Diana and Sheila to return with more information, Hank offered what he could understand of the shield, "I don't know how to penetrate that force field. Do you have the necessary magic to dispel it?"
Sep 21, 2022 1:22 pm
"I'm guessing I can't just smash through it." Yeah it took 20 years but Bobby finally understands this now.
Sep 22, 2022 2:22 am
OOC:
So what happens when Diana throws something at the shield?
Sep 22, 2022 5:07 am
The twig Diana dropped onto the shield glowed green the instant it touched the shield and was reduced to a tiny puff of fine gray dust.
Sep 23, 2022 12:42 am
Eric thinks for a moment before pulling out his shield and dropping to one knee facing the direction of the tower and the shield. He closes his eyes, bows his head slightly and looks as if he is praying. In reality, he is using the telepathic bond with the shield to see if the shield can hear anything that could help in better identifying this enemy or the source of the this blasted shield surrounding the tower.
OOC:
The Shield has an Intelligence of 22, a Wisdom of 18, and a Charisma of 24, as well as hearing and darkvision out to a range of 120 feet. The Shield can speak, read, and understand Common and Celestial, and it communicates telepathically with its wielder in a deep and resonant voice.
Sep 23, 2022 1:23 am
BedzoneII says:
Waiting for Diana and Sheila to return with more information, Hank offered what he could understand of the shield, "I don't know how to penetrate that force field. Do you have the necessary magic to dispel it?"
Presto shakes himself from unrelated thoughts, realizing that a full conversation has happened without him. "Hm? Oh, right, the shield. I could give it a shot, but I'd have to be closer. And if I were closer, we'd have to deal with the invisible jerks over there."
Sep 23, 2022 1:24 am
"Let me summon a friend who might be able to help us." Hank thought to his bow, not so much to prepare an arrow to fire, but to call upon one of its innate powers. He aimed it adjacent to him, and called forth a couatl ally that they had encountered years ago.

"We are intending to penetrate this tower. Could you use your insight to describe exactly what kind of magic wards the tower?"
OOC:
Using the 1/day ability to Summon Celestial (Couatl), and let's see what it's at will Detect Magic tells us.

The Shield

annex

Sep 23, 2022 1:25 am
The Shield

A foul barrier, Cavalier, no doubt. The Acrobat and the Thief will no doubt discern more of its vile nature, Eric's artifact thought to him.
OOC:
The tower's a mile away so no hear, no see beyond what it gets from your senses.

Couatl

annex

Sep 23, 2022 1:29 am
Couatl

"Sssalutationsss, Ranger. How may I asssissst you?" the slightly larger than human-sized winged serpent asked.
Sep 23, 2022 1:38 am
"We are trying to save our friend, kidnapped and locked inside that tower. We could use your magic to figure out its defences, and also your aid when we go forth. What kind of magic is that forcefield? We seek a way to get past it, as well as its guards."

Couatl

annex

Sep 23, 2022 1:56 am
Couatl

"Of courssse, Ranger," it said.

With a shimmering light, it became a small blue bird then gingerly flew off toward the tower.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.