2: Valley of Dead Unicorns

load previous
Jul 17, 2022 12:38 am
Hank was the only one left without the benefit of teleportation. He left Presto to be supported by Warm Blood, trusting that the mage will be safe at such range, and began to leg it towards their enemies. With his bow, he would be within range very soon.
OOC:
Huff huff, regular Dash plus bonus action Dash. 90 feet closer!
Jul 17, 2022 1:01 am
OOC:
@BedzoneII, you do know that a normal longbow has a range of up to 600 ft. It only gets a disadvantage beyond 150 ft, right? I have no idea with Hank's super bow.
Last edited July 17, 2022 1:09 am
Jul 17, 2022 1:22 am
OOC:
Yes I do! Hank's bow is a shortbow though, hence all the running. I believe it's because our great DM was using Ephixis as a base template to design Hank's bow, and that's a shortbow.
Jul 17, 2022 2:47 am
OOC:
Ahhh! I would never have guessed it was a shortbow.
Jul 17, 2022 7:03 am
OOC:
Update in the morning!
Jul 17, 2022 10:02 pm
OOC:
Done!
The massive six-headed snake flicked the air with its six tongue and turned to where Sheila stood otherwise invisibly. It slithered over to her with frightening speed to claw and bite and coil around her!
[ +- ] Map 4
[ +- ] Status Tracker
OOC:
I'll update HPs for Diana and Bobby once I hear about mitigation, reactions, etc. of incoming damage.
The Yuan-ti Anathema has blindsight. :(
Each of the two claw attacks deals 13 slashing damage.
Constrict deals 16 bludgeoning damage plus 7 acid damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 16). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained and takes 16 bludgeoning damage plus 7 acid damage at the start of each of its turns.
Flurry of Bites deals 27 piercing damage plus 14 poison damage.
That looks like a claw and the Flurry of Bites hit. Can Sheila mitigate the damage, make a reaction, etc.?

Rolls

Claw, claw, constriction, flurry of bites - (1d20+10, 1d20+10, 1d20+10, 1d20+10)

1d20+10 : (9) + 10 = 19

1d20+10 : (12) + 10 = 22

1d20+10 : (5) + 10 = 15

1d20+10 : (14) + 10 = 24

Jul 18, 2022 3:57 pm
OOC:
Quote:
Spirit Troll 2 at Q14 attacks Bobby with a bite and two claw attacks.
A claw attack deals 14 psychic damage.
A bite attack deals 19 psychic damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be stunned for 1 minute. The stunned target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
As the troll sinnks its teeth into Bobby, the barbarian's mouth goes slack and he slumps atop Uni, struggling to stay astride the unicorn.
Last edited July 18, 2022 4:03 pm

Rolls

Wisdom save DC 15 - (1d20-1)

(8) - 1 = 7

Jul 18, 2022 6:27 pm
OOC:
On Sheila's turn she invoked the power of her Ghost Step tattoo. She has resistance and cannot be grappled or restrained. She can move through the anathema as a bonus action using Dash or Disengage and she can use Uncanny Dodge for any attack that does hit her as a reaction to take only half of that damage; essentially 1/4 damage if it hits at all.
Ghostly Form. The tattoo has 3 charges, and it regains all expended charges daily at dawn. As a bonus action while the tattoo is on your skin, you can expend 1 of the tattoo’s charges to become incorporeal until the end of your next turn. For the duration, you gain the following benefits:

You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from non-magical attacks.

You can’t be grappled or restrained.

You can move through creatures and solid objects as if they were difficult terrain. If you end your turn in a solid object, you take 1d10 force damage. If the effect ends while you are inside a solid object, you instead are shunted to the nearest unoccupied space, and you take 1d10 force damage for every 5 feet traveled.
Last edited July 18, 2022 6:45 pm
Jul 19, 2022 3:47 am
OOC:
Done!
Sheila's spectral form reduced the brunt of the ophidian monstrosity's magic-infused claws and fangs (26 damage) while her brother was stunned by the spectral troll's psychic bite (DC 15 WIS save at end of his turn). Eric took grievous wounds from Warduke's flaming sword (102 damage) and now he felt his mind assaulted by fear of the snake aberration as it hissed and rattled!
[ +- ] Map 5
[ +- ] Status Tracker
OOC:
Eric starts his turn in the Yuan-ti Anathema's
[ +- ] Ophidiophobia Aura!
So Eric needs to roll that DC 17 Wisdom saving throw first to see if his coming attacks are at disadvantage (unless he chooses to cast a spell which doesn't have an attack roll)... then GO!
Jul 20, 2022 1:19 am
Argh! Eric shouts as sword hit him and he became disoriented.
OOC:
rolling the save now and will update the post after

Good roll - I'm looking at the map and can't figure out which enemy is next to me. Is it the warduke or the Yuan-ti Anathema?
Is each square 5'?
Last edited July 20, 2022 1:29 am

Rolls

DC 17 Wisdom Saving Throw - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Jul 20, 2022 4:33 am
OOC:
Each square is 5 feet, yes.
A spirit troll is the big blue guy at M13.
Warduke is at N14.
The Yuan-ti Anathema is the huge multi-headed abomination. ;)
Jul 21, 2022 12:36 am
Eric shakes off the affects of the Yuan-ti Anathema and activates his Aura of Warding. He then yells to Shelia and Bobby, Stay close, I can help protect from that things spells some.
OOC:
Aura of Warding: Ancient magic lies so heavily upon you that it forms an eldritch ward. You and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you have resistance to damage from spells. You must be conscious to grant this bonus.
He then turns his attention back to the Warduke. That wasn't very nice, you need to think about what you have done. With that Eric swings with his Mace of Smiting and swings twice at Warduke.
OOC:
When you roll a 20 on an attack roll made with this weapon, the target takes an extra 7 bludgeoning damage
Eric then turns his attention to the spirit troll and unleashes a Guiding Bolt directly at him
OOC:
Casting at level 7
OOC:
Hope I got that all right.

Rolls

Mace of Smiting First Attack - (1d20+10)

(6) + 10 = 16

Mace of Smiting First Attack Damage - (1d6+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Mace of Smiting Second Attack - (1d20+10)

(2) + 10 = 12

Mace of Smiting Second Attack Damage - (1d6+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Guiding Bolt attack (level 7 spell slot) - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Guiding Bolt Damage 1d6 per level of spell - (4d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

4d6 : (3632) = 14

1d6 : (1) = 1

1d6 : (2) = 2

1d6 : (1) = 1

1d6 : (3) = 3

1d6 : (3) = 3

Jul 21, 2022 6:02 am
OOC:
Both casting the spell and attacking with the mace are actions; you can do one or the other but not both. Since only the Guiding Bolt hit, shall we say that was your action?
If so, that'll be 27 radiant damage (it's actually 6 extra d6s) to the spirit troll and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage.
Does Eric have any bonus actions he can do?
Jul 21, 2022 10:38 am
Quote:
He then yells to Shelia and Bobby, Stay close, I can help protect from that things spells some.
It's unclear whether Bobby understood. The stunned barbarian doesn't respond. A little drool dribbles down his chin.
Jul 21, 2022 9:33 pm
OOC:
Got. I completely missed the word "bonus" when you said "bonus action" to me in PM lol

Guiding Bolt works for my action (I miscounted the dice rolls I could do).

I don't think I have a bonus action I can do. I can't cast a spell in both my action and bonus action, right?
Jul 21, 2022 10:55 pm
OOC:
Lotsa dice. :P
You can cast a spell as both your action and bonus action. It's usually limited to casting a cantrip after a spell with a level but I dislike that rule. You can cast any spells as long as they're an action and bonus action.
I'll update in a few hours.
Jul 22, 2022 3:50 am
OOC:
Done!
The cavalier fired a beam of light at spirit troll next to him, the radiance slicing into its psychoplasm!
[ +- ] Map 6
[ +- ] Status Tracker
OOC:
Presto... GO!
Jul 22, 2022 11:03 pm
OOC:
Sorry for going AWOL. Now I gotta clean up my mess. Let's keep things simple - she takes the claw and bite hits. That's... 33 damage? Ouch.

She will spend 1 ki point and use her reaction to Tipsy Sway that missed claw so that it hits the other spectral troll.

Now for a saving throw...

Nope, nope. Gonna spend another ki point and use Diamond Soul to re-roll that save.

Much better.

Last edited July 22, 2022 11:05 pm

Rolls

Wisdom Save (DC 15) - (1d20+10)

(4) + 10 = 14

Re-roll Wis save (w/Diamond Soul) - (1d20+10)

(19) + 10 = 29

Jul 22, 2022 11:13 pm
OOC:
@timplausible, I think Diana has a round of actions to take being the first in the initiative order.
Last edited July 22, 2022 11:13 pm
Jul 23, 2022 12:50 am
OOC:
Yup. Both Diana and Presto can go.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.