How do you know each other?

load previous
Dec 14, 2022 10:22 pm
vagueGM says:

TheGenerator, do you have an updated table of events for everyone? It might inform this, but will definitely come in handy when we finalise things and make Connections and get Skills.
I will try to set that up.
Dec 14, 2022 10:46 pm
Hope I did this correctly. If anyone wants to change stuff, just copy my post and edit what you think needs changing, then I'll delete this post so we only keep the updated version.

Term 1Term 2Term 3Term 4Term 5
RonnyMerchant (Free) Gambled and lost 1 benefit on a possibly lucrative dealMerchant (Free) Got into some legal trouble, but diplomatically got out of itMerchant (Free) Opportunity to smuggle illegal items onto a planet. Managed to succeed and got 1 extra benefit.Agent (Spy) Got special training to gain more skills, but I failed and got nothing.Agent (Spy) Ronny went above and beyond the call of duty. Gain +2 on your next advancement roll
LioUni A Tutor in Uni didn't like Lio's face, he ended up competing with him on a major breakthrough and found the proof before the Tutor. Making him a RivalScholar (Physician) Had an easy first term as a scholar, took an interest in rescue missions and learned how to fly a helicopter. His navigational skills improved on this missions.Scholar (Physician) In his second term as a scholar, Lio worked towards a considerable breakthrough in the field of computerized surgery making him climb the hierarchical ladder quickly. He was contacted by the Navy to come and work for them.Navy (Crew) Navy was hard on Lio, he specialized in as a mechanic and he tried to become an officer but failed everytime. During his time in the navy he still performed surgery and executed numerous rescue missions. Both as a pilot and as a medic.Navy (Crew) A comanding officer took in interest in his career (probably because of his famous name) and helped him increasing his rank. But he didn't get promoted and that was a dissapointment. He quit the Navy after his second term.
RafaelUni A romantic relationship involving you ends. Badly. Gain a Rival or Enemy; Esmera - ex-girlfriendMerchant (Marine) A good deal ensures you are living the high life for a few years.Merchant (Marine) A good deal ensures you are living the high life for a few years.Merchant (Marine) You are offered the opportunity to smuggle illegal items onto a planet.Scout services You have no idea what happened to you – they found your ship drifting on the fringes of friendly space.
CatMerchant (Free) becomes embroiled in some legal trouble. She serves as her own legal counsel, doing some extra work to learn the ins and outs of the legal system.Merchant (Free) makes a connection outside of her normal channels, gaining a ContactNoble (Dilettante) that a former friend betrayed her (turning her Contact into an Enemy)Noble (Dilettante) a conspiracy of nobles attempts to recruit herNoble (Dilettante) The government, further weakened by the conspiracy collapse, finally gives way and civil war breaks out in the system. Cat attempts to flee unnoticed.
Last edited December 16, 2022 9:24 am
Dec 14, 2022 10:57 pm
Thanks. It might be useful to have the Career included in that table? Abbreviations at the start of the text might be enough, just so we don't have to swap between this and the Careers table (on a different page!).
Dec 15, 2022 12:02 pm
vagueGM says:
Airshark says:
Raf and Lio might know each other from University.
Makes sense, you were both med-students.
Exactly. Initially Raf's wish was to help people not hurt them as it was common on his home planet... Was Lio a physician because of the need of heart? Or was it more about having a good profession?

But then he was more drawn into enhancing(also helping, no?) human body with non invasive cybernetic... so was attracted again to his mech-symbiosis roots - not realizing that at first. So maybe they were quite a good friends at the university for first few years? Both young, idealistic, wanting to fix the world and help people... but then something happened for Raf...:) And he had to leave the university not long before finishing it. And his dreams had to change. But Lio stayed and become renown physician in the mean time? But I think they have maintain their contact for all this years. What you think Airshark?

Could it be that Raf was helping you "fend off formal the attacks of this dreaded Tutor? Would that count as thing for this connection rule, GM? Maybe by navigating university administration and officials(again...) Raf have developed his Persuade skill some more? Would that be ok? Lio has negotiations so maybe they tried different approaches to the subject? :)
Dec 15, 2022 12:29 pm
My ideas/propositions for Raf and Cat.

Sorry WhtKnt I haven't had time to read your creation thread carefully, so sorry if the answers will be obvious.

Term 4th and 5th - events:
"a conspiracy of nobles attempts to recruit her" could it be that this conspiracy had something to do with Raf's memory erasing at therm 5? Or even with his home planet sealing?
"You are offered the opportunity to smuggle illegal items onto a planet." - maybe the Raf and Cat has met on that planet when he was smuggling something. And the planet was ruled by this conspiracy?
"The government, further weakened by the conspiracy collapse, finally gives way and civil war breaks out in the system. Cat attempts to flee unnoticed." and Cat have some ship shares - could it be that she was calling out this shares that happened to be to the same ship that Raf has got from Marine Merchant service? And Cat wanted use it to flee from the war? And as Raf is now fleeing from a fals accusation for a crime (that hopefully didn't do) that took place in the period when he has "lost" his memories? Maybe it was the same planet as that one Raf was smuggling there something? So the officials already didn't "liked" him...

Just some ideas for development:)
Dec 15, 2022 12:40 pm
My ideas/propositions for Raf and Ronny... and Cat.

Term 3th for Ronny and 4th for Raf - events:
"Opportunity to smuggle illegal items onto a planet. Managed to succeed and got 1 extra benefit."

Could it be that it was the same employer that ordered us with the smuggle? And we know each other from those circles? :) And the same planet? But in different time? Maybe this shady employer don't like the officials of this planet? Maybe the smuggling was needed because of this conspiracy that Cat have?

Also: if we have decided to go with mafia themes...

Did we? I would like to. But not sure if this is "official" yet? :)

Maybe that shady employer, smuggler-guy was our beloved Godfather... and he had even influences on Marine Merchant ship that Raf was servicing? He was not a bad guy per see. He had to protect his family. And we were a part of it. Maybe distant, but still.

But... he is now dead - unfortunately, as he was a guarantee of relative peace - what is connected with the civil war that is taking place in the system? But... as he is dead... there is a place for new "groups" and we are one of them?

Again... just a stream of my imagination... I wonder what you guys think about that?
Last edited December 15, 2022 12:42 pm
Dec 15, 2022 3:59 pm
Pedrop says:
... Term 3th for Ronny and 4th for Raf ... same planet? But in different time? ...
We can slightly fudge the exact dates, it could easily have been 'end of the 3rd Term and beginning of the 4th Term' and have been at the same time. Traveller's 'exactly 4 years!' can be a bit brittle so treat them as averages if it helps things fit.
Dec 15, 2022 4:00 pm
Pedrop says:
... if we have decided to go with mafia themes ...
What exactly do you mean by 'mafia'. Like 'pirates', 'mafia' are 'bad guys', you guys are not bad guys. As you say later you are welcome to have worked for such people --knowingly or unknowingly-- but they are just some of the shady customers you are forced to work with on the fringes of society.

This is not a 'mafia themed' game, but they do exist. Does that answer your question?
Dec 16, 2022 9:25 am
vagueGM says:
Thanks. It might be useful to have the Career included in that table?
Done
Gonna read through Pedrop's posts this weekend
Dec 17, 2022 5:40 pm
Pedrop says:
Could it be that it was the same employer that ordered us with the smuggle? And we know each other from those circles? :) And the same planet?
This sounds like a good connection to me. Here's my idea on this:
Ronny has never really been in line with the law very much. Not in an out-right criminal way, but definitely shady deals.
In Term 2 and 3, Raf and Ronny were both traders, so it's likely they met up at some point and kept in touch. Maybe at a bar somewhere? What if Ronny was the one who offered Raf the smuggling job because Ronny was quitting that profession. He needed a replacement.
This would automatically create a trusting relationship between the 2.
Pedrop says:
Maybe that shady employer, smuggler-guy was our beloved Godfather... and he had even influences on Marine Merchant ship that Raf was servicing? He was not a bad guy per see. He had to protect his family. And we were a part of it. Maybe distant, but still.

But... he is now dead - unfortunately, as he was a guarantee of relative peace - what is connected with the civil war that is taking place in the system? But... as he is dead... there is a place for new "groups" and we are one of them?
I like the idea of there being a sort of mafia faction. But more in the sense of us having "underground" contacts.
Being directly involved with a former godfather sounds like something that might become a problem pretty fast. Especially if new groups are going to fight for the top position(s). Which seems likely to happen when the boss dies.
Or did I misinterpret your idea? :)
Dec 17, 2022 5:46 pm
I also had an idea to connect me to Lio.
One of my benefits was a cybernetic implant. As Lio is a physician, he could have been the one doing the surgery and/or does my check-ups?

For Cat - We were both rookie traders at the same time. Did we work for the same company before you got your shot at nobility?
There might be some jealousy there from Ronny's side.
Dec 17, 2022 5:52 pm
TheGenerator says:
... cybernetic implant. As Lio is a physician, he could have been the one doing the surgery and/or does my check-ups? ...
We can say that is true --the second part almost definitely is-- even if this is not one of the mechanical Connections. It makes sense as a 'meeting point', though why did you pick Lio to do the surgery? Did you already know him?
TheGenerator says:
... before you got your shot at nobility? ...
It is possible/probable that Cat was always 'noble' even before joining the Noble Career, so there is plenty of opportunity for jealously if you were working together.
Dec 18, 2022 5:41 am
I envision Cat as always having been a noble, she just tried a "respectable" career first.
Dec 21, 2022 9:29 am
WhtKnt says:
I envision Cat as always having been a noble, she just tried a "respectable" career first.
Do you have a different suggestion or an addition? I'm open to anything :)
Dec 22, 2022 2:04 pm
How are we doing? It has been a week since many of you have posted?

Do you need anything from me or from the others to finish up these character Connections? We don't need a lot of detail, just enough to work out some logical Skills (they need not be the same for both parties) and to be able to refer back to it in the main story.

@Pedrop your decisions about how and when you got/get the ship might affect some of this, so that is slightly higher priority.
Dec 23, 2022 4:21 am
Sorry, been busy with holiday stuffs. I do like the idea of Cat and Ronnie being connected by being rival traders. I'd suggest that we know each other by name, but we don't have a solid relationship... yet. We've had run-ins in the past as friendly rivals.
Dec 23, 2022 11:19 am
Sorry, holiday and work stuff combined is also making my time restricted. I will try to answer all my pending threads today, but can't promise right now. But certainly will be back at it on Tuesday and following days should be my normal attendance.
Dec 23, 2022 1:23 pm
WhtKnt says:
... Sorry, been busy with holiday stuffs. ...
No worries, that is understandable and to be expected. Saw you posting elsewhere, though, and wondered.
WhtKnt says:
... I do like the idea of Cat and Ronnie being connected by being rival traders. I'd suggest that we know each other by name, but we don't have a solid relationship ...
That probably might not count as a Connection under the rules, but the rules only allow for two of those anyway, so this adds an interesting point in the fiction and leaves the other two as the actual Connections. We can adjust the requirements if we need to, though, for instance if you still want Ronnie as your main connection to the crew.
WhtKnt says:
... We've had run-ins in the past as friendly rivals ...
If we want, we can turn one of these 'run-ins' into an event where you had to survive by relying on each other. It might not change the tone of your relationship, but you could both have learned something from it (Skills) and have an easier time knowing they can be trusted when it comes down to it.
Dec 23, 2022 1:24 pm
Pedrop says:
... Sorry, holiday and work stuff combined is also making my time restricted. ...
No worries, this time is always tricky and new jobs can be hard to predict as well.
Pedrop says:
... back at it on Tuesday ...
We can wait till Tuesday, don't strain yourself to get things done before then. If we know what is happening there is less concern.
Dec 23, 2022 3:20 pm
Ok then, "see" you on Tuesday. So: Merry Christmas too all of you who also celebrate those holidays. And for those who don't: also all the best for you, let the blessings and wisdom come your way as you are my fellow, dear human beings :)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.