Warlock! Character Generation

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 18, 2022 6:51 pm
Step 1: Create Your Character Sheet

Create a character by unfolding the sheet below, clicking "create character" at the top right, then head for Step 2.
[ +- ] Warlock! Character Sheet
Once the sheet is created, you'll need to 'edit' it to add a picture, but otherwise you can add what you need to the sheet by simply clicking in the right text fields. It'll look something like this when you are done:
[ +- ] Sample Completed Warlock! Character Sheet

Step 2: Set Your Beginning Skills

Set your beginning skills. Set ten skills to 6, ten to 5, and the rest a t 4. (Maximums will be that same value until we get into career skills in Step 6.)
Step 3: Determine Stamina, Luck, and Pluck

Roll 2d6+12 to determine your Stamina score, then roll 1d6+7 to determine your Luck score. Set Pluck at 20 minus your Luck score.
Step 4: Select a Community

Pick the community you come from -- Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling. (I'd be happiest with an all-human party since we're not using the specific non-human careers in Compendium 1 and elsewhere, but people are free to choose as they want here. Be aware there are no mechanical benefits.)
Step 5: Roll for a Career

Roll 1d6 five times -- that'll produce five different careers for you to pick from... so after rolling, choose one to proceed with. (I'm using the Black Edition of the game, which includes the Kingdom Book and an additional six careers based on the city of Grim Biskerstaf.)

Each career has listed equipment and two additional d6 tables to roll on. Feel free to roll on those tables, roll twice on each and choose the results you like, or just pick the most interesting entry from each table.

Note that I'll walk folks through this step if need be -- for those that don't have the book, for example.
Step 6: Set Your Career Skills

Each career comes with five skills -- spread 10 points among them, then look at the lowest of those five... that's your Career Skill level in the given career. When editing your sheet, remember to adjust your maximums, to 10 or 12 depending on what the career says. These are the only skills you can improve while in this career.
Step 7: Set Your Basic Equipment

Set your basic equipment -- 2d6 silver coins, backpack, 1d3 days rations, water skin, eating knife, clothes and boots.

KCC

Sep 20, 2022 5:22 am
Hey, all! Nice to be hear! Just going to roll for these careers to start. Just to get an idea for character art!

Harrigan will have to assist with the fifth and final career, as I don’t have the Kingdom book!

Bodyguard,
Footpad,
Raconteur,
Thief.
Last edited September 20, 2022 5:26 am

Rolls

5d6

(41645) = 20

Stamina - (2d6+12)

(55) + 12 = 22

Luck - (1d6+7)

(4) + 7 = 11

What/Who I’ve robbed? - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Who wants me dead? - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Who wants me dead? - (1d6)

(5) = 5

2d6

(43) = 7

1d3

(2) = 2

Sep 20, 2022 5:36 am
KCC -- you also have the option of playing a Publican.
Quote:
Working at an inn, that's the life. Always someone to chat to, songs and laughter, and the ale flowing. You've never wanted anything else. True, it's not easy, and there are always folks who seem to want a fight, but a quick tickle with the club and all's well again.
You'd start with a apron, a beer mug, a small cask (somehow always full), a cudgel and a smile.

Len

Sep 20, 2022 6:14 am
Hello everyone! Thanks for having me. Let's roll dem bones...

Skill picks recorded in this work-in-progress character sheet.

Stamina: 22
Luck: 10
Pluck: 10

Community: Human

Careers: (4) Bodyguard, (2) Gambler, (6) Racontuer, (2) Road Warden, (6) Servant (@Harrigan when you get a chance please tell me about this fifth career option! Thanks! )

Road Warden Specifics:
Places I've been: The Pomperburg road, full of deserters.
Things I have seen: A dragon, flying high above luckily!

4 silver coins, 2 days' rations
Last edited September 20, 2022 11:48 pm

Rolls

Stamina - (2d6+12)

(64) + 12 = 22

Luck - (1d6+7)

(3) + 7 = 10

Career dice - (5d6)

(42626) = 20

Where have I been? - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Things I have seen - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Coins - (2d6)

(13) = 4

Rations - (1d3)

(2) = 2

Sep 20, 2022 6:34 am
Welcome, Len!

Your fifth career choice is Servant.
https://i.imgur.com/YyThqUP.png
https://i.imgur.com/MMJRlBZ.png

KCC

Sep 20, 2022 10:07 am
@Len, so you went with a Road Warden, right? While my natural inclination is to play a Bodyguard, I think I always play a kind of gruff, rough and tumble character.

So maybe I might play against type and play a thief. Footpad seems a little coarse to be hanging out with a Road Warden. But maybe a thief has loftier goals (see: targets). The honest thief that never did a thing wrong in his life!

"Can you believe it? Some poor sod left their coin purse behind them! I’ll hold onto it until I see them again…"
[ +- ] Too Ugly for a Bodyguard?
[ +- ] Possible Thieves
Last edited September 20, 2022 11:17 am
Sep 20, 2022 1:19 pm
Let's get this wagon rolling!

Attributes
Stamina 17
Luck 13
Pluck 7

Community
Human Dwarf!

Careers
Agitator
Initiate
Miner
Rat Catcher
Servant? Same roll as Len.

Initiate Specifics
Who is your god? The Dragon, power incarnate.
What is your personal creed? Love is false, only death is absolute.

Starting Spell
Unlock
OOC:
Given that worship of the Dragon is illegal, though it is known that dwarves are often worshippers (likely out of necessity), I'm opting to be a Dwarf for this game! Perhaps that'll help others overlook his deity, and instead focus on how he's a filthy dorf!
Last edited September 20, 2022 2:04 pm

Rolls

Stamina - (2d6+12)

(23) + 12 = 17

Luck - (1d6+7)

(6) + 7 = 13

Career - (5d6)

(15216) = 15

Who is your God? - (1d6)

(4) = 4

What is your personal creed? - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Starting spell - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (6) = 6

1d6 : (4) = 4

What is your God/Personal Creed (take two) - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (6) = 6

1d6 : (1) = 1

Silver Coins - (2d6)

(46) = 10

Rations - (1d3)

(1) = 1

Sep 20, 2022 3:16 pm
Thinking of how this character fits in, I'm sure a Thief would appreciate having someone around who can magically unlock tricky mechanisms. I imagine the dwarf is also a never do well, due to his worship of an illegal religion. He likely tries to spend time with other folks who don't want to get arrested for their own reasons.

As for the Road Warden, I imagine the dwarf seeks out those who have seen a dragon. It's a good omen, in his eyes, leading him to riches and power (or so he believes).

Len

Sep 20, 2022 3:30 pm
KCC says:
Len, so you went with a Road Warden, right? While my natural inclination is to play a Bodyguard, I think I always play a kind of gruff, rough and tumble character.

So maybe I might play against type and play a thief. Footpad seems a little coarse to be hanging out with a Road Warden. But maybe a thief has loftier goals (see: targets). The honest thief that never did a thing wrong in his life!

"Can you believe it? Some poor sod left their coin purse behind them! I’ll hold onto it until I see them again…"
Amazing art!

I can be flexible with backgrounds if people feel a Road Warden clashes with their concepts or steps on somebody's toes. I don't think Road Wardens are like paladins though. My reading of them is that they're like a (severely underfunded) security force that deal with mostly non-human threats (unmen, goblins, etc) and bandit gangs. They wouldn't lift a finger over a human lawbreaker (except maybe deserters and highwaymen), and he'd be happy to share a campfire with a footpad or thief if they increase his odds of survival. I can see the Road Wardens being plenty comfortable 'bending' the law themselves, confiscating gear and supplies from jerks - an unofficial "asshole tax" :D

Len

Sep 20, 2022 3:48 pm
cowleyc says:
As for the Road Warden, I imagine the dwarf seeks out those who have seen a dragon. It's a good omen, in his eyes, leading him to riches and power (or so he believes).
The Road Warden would find that pretty funny, because riches and power are not something he's ever even had a sniff of. Not sure on Road Warden's religious stance yet.

The Dwarf and the Road Warden would also see eye to eye on the Dwarf's creed - Love is false, only death is absolute. Sounds like they're both pragmatic survivors. So, I think they'd make easy allies. The Road Warden doesn't carry a 'filthy dorf' type of attitude; anyone who contributes to his odds of survival are welcome to share his campfire.
Last edited September 20, 2022 3:48 pm
Sep 20, 2022 5:51 pm
Let's roll 'em...

Stamina: 15
Luck: 9
Pluck: 11

Community: Human

Careers:
(6) Entertainer
(4) Hunter
(6) Raconteur
(4) Thief

(2) Fish Warden

Where do I work?
(2) The docks, when I can.

What have I caught?
(5) A corpse, a Guard's man.
Last edited September 20, 2022 7:18 pm

Rolls

Stamina - (2d6+12)

(21) + 12 = 15

Luck - (1d6+7)

(2) + 7 = 9

Careers - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Other careers - (4d6)

(4642) = 16

Where do I work? - (1d6)

(2) = 2

What have I caught? - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Sep 20, 2022 6:16 pm
In case everyone doesn’t have the book (either edition, the differences are fairly minor other than layout and art), I’ll be posting some key passages in the days ahead — about the mechanics, and about the setting. The TL;DR is that The Kingdom has just been through a civil war. Great, pitched battles were fought between the king’s forces and those of the traitor," who in the end revealed himself to be allied with demons, witches and worse.

The (basically medieval, walled) towns are overpopulated cesspools, but are bastions of light in their own way against the wilds and the creatures that inhabit them. Goblins, giants, and unmen (beast men) rove the land, and corruption, blight and demonic taint can be found everywhere, remnants of the Traitor’s defeated forces.

More to come.
Sep 20, 2022 6:20 pm
Jabes, #2 from the Kingdom book is…

FISH WARDEN

Blunt 10, Repair 10, Thrown 10
Endurance 12, Navigation 12, Swimming 12
(Those are maxes, remember, not starting values)

You uphold a proud tradition of fishing the waters of the mighty river and going out on the estuary. It's you and your kind that feed the city, at least the poor anyway. It's been a good way of life for you, at least it was. Now someone is poisoning the river, and the fish are... strange. You blame the Dockers, but you've seen the fish-heads too.

Equipment: All-weather clothes, a waterproof hat, a fishing line or net, a gutting knife, a cudgel tostun the fish, a map of the waterways.

Where do you work? (roll 1d6)

1. The fishing boat 'The Merry Lord'.
2. The docks, when you can.
3. Out in the estuary, on the mud.
4. On the sea vessel 'Tassenhorst'.
5. Kellebrik, least you did!
6. In the gutting house, preparing fish.

What have you caught? (roll 1d6)
1. A pike the length of a man.
2. An eel with a woman's face.
3. A fish-headed man - he wasn't happy.
4. A Mirrorfish, worth a small fortune.
5. A corpse, a Guard's man.
6. Nothing but a cold and bad luck.
Sep 20, 2022 6:55 pm
Entertainer and Raconteur don't appeal to me. KCC's playing Thief. Hunter...hmm... Fish Warden?! Now that's something I've never played before! Now to go fishing for character art!
Sep 20, 2022 8:57 pm
Don’t have access to it at the moment, but the Black Edition of the book has character art for every profession. I’ll check out the Fish Warden tonight…
Sep 20, 2022 9:09 pm
I'll start with the rolls as well...

Stamina: 21
Luck: 12
Pluck: 8

Potential Careers

Gotta be an: AGITATOR
Gambler
Militiaman
Thief
Fish Warden?

Who you've worked for: The Cult of the Stag
OOC:
I'm thinking, since cowleyc is an Initiate of the Dragon, maybe my guy could've been hired to agitate on behalf of this proscribed religion instead? It would provide an easy character connection.
Who's hunting you: You don't know. Which is worrying.
Last edited September 20, 2022 9:31 pm

Rolls

Stamina - (2d6+12)

(36) + 12 = 21

Luck - (1d6+7)

(5) + 7 = 12

Careers - (5d6)

(12142) = 10

Who you've worked for. - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Who's hunting you? - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Sep 20, 2022 9:52 pm
Ciriaco says:
OOC:
I'm thinking, since cowleyc is an Initiate of the Dragon, maybe my guy could've been hired to agitate on behalf of this proscribed religion instead? It would provide an easy character connection.
Given that the worship of the Dragon is illegal, I can't imagine Rausimod is hiring folks to spread the word! But maybe to spark rebellion against the other faiths!
Sep 20, 2022 11:15 pm
cowleyc says:
Given that the worship of the Dragon is illegal, I can't imagine Rausimod is hiring folks to spread the word! But maybe to spark rebellion against the other faiths!
"Maybe worship of the Dragon shouldn't be illegal! Not that I worship the Dragon myself. I'm a humble and law-abiding man, like all of you. I'm just asking a question. Why can we worship all of these other gods, but not the Dragon? I mean, the Red King is literally the god of blood and death, and yet there's his ugly mug leering at you from every street corner. But for some reason, these high priests won't let people like us learn anything about the Dragon. What don't they want us to know?"
Last edited September 20, 2022 11:17 pm
Sep 20, 2022 11:22 pm
"Ten secret facts about the Dragon that the oligarchy doesn't want you to know!"
Sep 20, 2022 11:29 pm
1. In one of its aspects, the Dragon is, in fact, the patron deity of candy.

Okay, I'll stop now. But I think it could work!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.