OOC Chat

load previous
Jan 26, 2023 12:58 pm
OK, let me explain myself
When I red "nope, no meta gaming going on over here" before DM narrated the result of my PC scoring 6 on deception check I was looking for in-game reasons your PC would do the reaction he did.
That's why the question

And regarding combat initiative... well I am just not used to mechanics where even if a player roll nat1 on initiative roll he could still go before enemy who rolled 19, assuming there is another player who rolled higher. But I will get used to that.
Jan 26, 2023 1:20 pm
Yeah, normally I would do regular initiative order, but since we're in wildly different time-zones, you can be unlucky that the person first in the initiative order has already gone to bed by the time I start the combat, and then when he acts the second person could've gone to bed etc. If that happens then combat moves extremely slow and in my experience, very little kills a pbp game faster than a combat moving too slow. I agree that it's not ideal, but I believe it's the better option all things considered.
Jan 26, 2023 1:29 pm
Yeah sorry about that @GreyWord I'll keep my reactions in the chat to avoid future confusion
Jan 26, 2023 2:38 pm
If the bugbear ends up going down, Urzog would love to intimidate or persuade the goblins to stand down. It’s worth a shot.

Help me RNG Gods, you’re my only hope!
Jan 26, 2023 4:47 pm
By the way, GM, Urzog doesn’t kill so maybe he just knocked out the bugbear? Despite the possible butterfly effect in which a side storyline will happen where a bugbear hunts down Urzog for revenge LOL.
Jan 26, 2023 4:51 pm
He looks dead to the goblins. Good enough. Lol
Jan 26, 2023 5:08 pm
Oh yeah, forgot. I’ll amend it, and yes it’s the same to the goblins
Jan 26, 2023 5:09 pm
Maybe, just maybe DM is willing to use PBP suggest variant rule. I recalled it just because example in the book so perfectly map to the situation we have
Quote:
Similarly, when your half-orc barbarian uses a display of raw strength to intimidate an enemy, your DM might ask for a Strength (Intimidation) check, even though Intimidation is normally associated with Charisma.
Jan 26, 2023 6:48 pm
For future checks of that sort, I'd allow it
Jan 26, 2023 7:10 pm
I am curious about ability checks in combat. I understood it took an action to do an ability check, like intimidate. Can we fight and still do other things? Like perception checks
Last edited January 26, 2023 7:11 pm
Jan 26, 2023 7:14 pm
It depends on the check, but usually stuff like perception/persuasion/knowledge checks etc are free
Jan 26, 2023 7:19 pm
then why don't everyone roll persuasion every round ?
Jan 26, 2023 8:10 pm
Because some of us aren't attempting to persuade anyone. Generally, you can talk (a bit) as a free action. It would be easy to roll persuasion or intimidate based on what you say while you physically take some other action.

But it still requires making that attempt. You have to talk. You have to try.

If I just shoot you again, there's no persuasion involved.
Jan 26, 2023 8:11 pm
1) because of it being meta-gaming and 2) and even if I’d allow it, I’d probably require a nat 20 with disadvantage in most cases.
Jan 29, 2023 8:25 am
Just want to share some of my feelings. I did love the challenge of the last quest to come up with reason for my PC to save humans despite of their attitude toward him is worse than toward Warfoged and Thri-kreen (based on my understanding they are not even humanoids).
I did fail in a way though because the motivation I came up wit say my PC failed this quest because goblins are still there and they could keep doing the same business. Zrukz would have wanted to kill a few more and intimidate every other goblin...

That's a bit of drawback playing railroaded AL. But I don't complain, this is still a lot of fun to play. Can't wait next quest
Jan 29, 2023 10:51 am
Yeah, it is one of the biggest drawbacks for sure. That being said, if you guys want to mount an assault on the cave system we can always try and go off road for a bit. The issue that is laid out and that Chaab communicated is that the sheer numbers of goblins (he ranged them from dozens to perhaps even hundreds) in a cramped cave system sounds very suicidal. You were lucky that they were out raiding so that section was pretty sparsely populated. Of course there’s inherently a lot of railroading involved in AL modules at least when it comes to going beyond the scope of the stories, but I’ll never tell you that you can’t do things like that (especially since we’re not following strict AL rules). It might just end up in a TPK 😅
Jan 29, 2023 10:53 am
Also yes you can get a short rest for sure
Jan 29, 2023 11:11 am
Personally? I like the idea of coming back to the caves as a "bonus mission" of sorts, in a few levels.

It gives Sassafras time to put something together without rushing... but it also lets us grab a few more levels, so we have better odds to survive.
Jan 29, 2023 11:12 am
We know goblins are currently split into riding parties and they do not expect ambush at their own home. Those two facts made me believe battling a single riding party wouldn't be all that hard and certainly not a suicide.
Anyhow only Zrukz seemed to care those parties should be bringing more prisoners... I just realized it is good attitude to AL: you only save those you are hired. Simple as that
Jan 29, 2023 11:20 am
But... you are assuming it would only be a single raiding party returning.

It could just as easily be 8 raiding parties returning at more or less the same time.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.